James Mangold: Director

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dreampanther
Which of the films that James Mangold directed do you think is his best? And which one did you enjoy the most? Are they the same? Vote for the one you think is his best - if it is a different one from the one you enjoyed the most, please say so and say why.

Personally, I think Cop Land was his best, but I enjoyed Identity and Knight and Day more. Why? I enjoyed Identity because I enjoy dark psychological thrillers, and John Cusack was excellent in that film, I thought - and I enjoyed Knight and Day because it was a fun film, and it was nice to see Tom Cruise finally not take himself so seriously.

But I still think Cop Land was a better film, because I would never have expected to see Sly play a role of a defeated, overweight, struggling and slow cop so well and so convincingly - and it really evinced my sympathy. The film drew me in and for the first time I saw Sly as a an actor - rather than an action hero. The movie is a bit slow and a bit heavy for me, but I still think it was a great film.

SnakeEyes
Not a particularly huge fan of this director but I liked 3:10 to Yuma the most out of those.

MildPossession
Girl, Interrupted for me.

The Nuul
Cop Land.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Not a particularly huge fan of this director but I liked 3:10 to Yuma the most out of those.

I didn't even know that it was the same director until I saw an interview with him recently... What impressed me was that he seems determined not to be bound to a genre. He seems quite versatile - and apparently he REALLY didn't want Sly for Cop Land - Sly had to do quite a lot of convincing!

He is not my favourite director, by all means - but he definitely seems worth keeping an eye on.

PreciousMrsOgre
I rally enjoyed 3:10 to Yuma the most. He made westerns tolerable for me. I love the score for it as well. Girl, Interrupted was a terrific movie, so was Identity and Walk the Line. Haven't seen Knight and Day, but I don't care for Tom Cruise. But 3:10 holds a special place with me and I really couldn't tell you why. I just thought the whole thing was great.

BruceSkywalker
girl, interrupted

The Nuul
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
girl, interrupted

You're such a girl...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.