Social Engineering, why Wikileaks rocks my world.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Corrupt_America
TV and the media has created over the last twenty years a herd mentality. It's done this through TV with shows like Cops, Bad Boys, Road Wars and in Newspapers through controlled editorials. Society has been dumbed down, in the U.K. kids are not allowed to either fail or compete in state schools. Everyone gets a prize. Both the 'liberal' and the 'conservative' agenda in the U.K. serve the same masters.

Wikileaks is what journalism should always have been, a conduit for unedited information, through which the recipient can make up there own mind.

Herd behaviour is a comical thing,

keep the faith smile

stay wiki (leaks) rock

inimalist
Originally posted by Corrupt_America
Wikileaks is what journalism should always have been, a conduit for unedited information, through which the recipient can make up there own mind.

good journalism is much more than just reporting raw facts.

As David Simon suggests, any intelligent 14 year old can tell you the "who/what/where/when", its the "why/how" that makes good journalism.

You need people with access to local context, who know a beat (local or international) to provide the necessary context on an event before it makes any sense.

The wikileaks cables do not provide this. Further, they are not raw data about world events, but the opinions of US diplomats about world affairs. For example, with regards to the events in Georgia, US diplomats had a very poor understanding of what was going on there, and as such, the cables are a much poorer representation of what is happeneing there than would be a journalist with familiarity of Eastern European breakaway conflicts (someone like Misha Glenny for instance)

Corrupt_America
Originally posted by inimalist
good journalism is much more than just reporting raw facts.

Actually it shouldn't be, this is the subjectivism live journos would have you believe and no most people can't tell you the who, what and when. Because these are hidden, e.g. War crimes by US and UK troops in Iraq.
How much the U.K. new about torture etc. Because it's covered up and journos serve 'the man',

Keep the faith smile

stay wiki (leaks) rock

inimalist
/sigh

Omega Vision
Assange cockriding ftw

inimalist
its whirly

Corrupt_America
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Assange cockriding ftw

Exactly it's so much better than herd behaviour.

smile

Corrupt_America
its whirly

I think Whirly was banned before you joined my friend.

smile

skekUng
TV and the media has created over the last twenty years a herd mentality. It's done this through TV with shows like Cops, Bad Boys, Road Wars and in Newspapers through controlled editorials. Society has been dumbed down, in the U.K. kids are not allowed to either fail or compete in state schools. Everyone gets a prize. Both the 'liberal' and the 'conservative' agenda in the U.K. serve the same masters.

keep the faith smile

stay wiki (leaks) rock

Are you sure it's engineered herd mentality, or the free market economy at work?

inimalist
I think Whirly was banned before you joined my friend.

smile

are you saying that you have discovered time travel?

Zeal Ex Nihilo

keep the faith smile

stay wiki (leaks) rock
What if Whirly and Deano had a retarded manbaby?

ADarksideJedi
I argee with you.People should be able to speak there mind more but because of the liberals this is not possible.Having a site like this gives people the freedom that was taken from us to do this.and I wish there more sites like this one. smile

skekUng
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I argee with you.People should be able to speak there mind more but because of the liberals this is not possible.Having a site like this gives people the freedom that was taken from us to do this.and I wish there more sites like this one. smile

Speaking of herd behavior...

inimalist

and your feelings about the Republicans who have frequently called for Asange to be captured and killed?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Fascism and murder are okay when done by someone with traditional values.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo

Amen.

inimalist

depressingly true

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Of course, the military intervention in the Middle East should be supported when it's a black guy.

inimalist
well, afghanistan is the just war

change and all that

Zeal Ex Nihilo
More like nobody gives a shit when it's their party doing the dirty work. I hate political parties. Also, Ron Paul 2012.

inimalist
thats exactly it. Politics has become a team sport.

Paul would be cool, but he would need a strong and reasonable opposition, something the current system wont produce.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
He does need a moderate to temper his policies, but he's essentially an outcast in the political world. Republicans will ask him why he hates the military, and Democrats will ask why he hates the poor, and we'll continue down the same path of destruction we're already on.

skekUng
Of course, the military intervention in the Middle East should be supported when it's a black guy.

Nope, but neither should caving on tax cuts for the rich if we get unemployment benefits extended. How the hell do we pay for tax cuts if we don't collect the appropriate and equivalent revenue as we do for the bottom 90%.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Duh, cutting the taxes on the ultra-wealthy generates more government revenue.

...It's funny how anywhere else in the world you would be laughed at for thinking this, but a good portion of the United States population believes this.

skekUng
Duh, cutting the taxes on the ultra-wealthy generates more government revenue.

...It's funny how anywhere else in the world you would be laughed at for thinking this, but a good portion of the United States population believes this.

Then do explain the concept of reinvestment to the rest of us.

ADarksideJedi
and your feelings about the Republicans who have frequently called for Asange to be captured and killed?

I don't see what that has anything to do with Freedom of speech and I had not heard of this yet so let me catch up to reading it about it and I will let you know! smile

Zeal Ex Nihilo
I don't see what that has anything to do with Freedom of speech
That is because you are mentally handicapped.

Liberator
Moderates, booooo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.