DVDs you replaced with Blu Ray

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chomperx9
List here which DVD Titles you replaced with Blu ray. also post by each title if it was worth replacing or not.

Batman Returns. it was deffinetely worth it. the blu ray doesnt have any of that white flickering like the DVD had

I replaced more of my DVD titles with HD dvds

MildPossession
Nightmare Before Christmas
The Elephant Man - previous dvd edition I had was awful quality
Breathless
Pitch Black

All look amazing. I am currently trying to decide if to change my Dark Knight dvd to blu ray, heard the imax filmed scenes are astonishing. So if it comes down in the sales, I'll get it, but not getting rid of my dvd, it's the limited edition mask box.

coolmovies
TDK is a must upgrade with the imax scene's !!

T.M
The Dark Knight does look amazing. I still have my limited mask edition.

I recently got the Alien films on BD with the egg statue. Haven't watched them yet.

Esau Cairn
I'm really not one to buy movies.
I tend to find that once you own them, you don't ever actually get to watch them.
Whereas if you're in the mood, it's easy to go out & hire the flick you want.

Having said this, I've bought both Sin City & 300 as dvds & then up-graded them to blu-ray. Peter Jackson's King Kong is another blu-ray I want to get.

dadudemon
Originally posted by T.M

I recently got the Alien films on BD with the egg statue. Haven't watched them yet.

shock

Waste not want not! mad

coolmovies
Originally posted by T.M

I heard the first two Alien films look fantastic

T.M
Alien looks and sounds great.

darthmaul1
Dark knight and batman begins.
For me if i have it on DVD i will not upgrade to bluray for the 10% to 20% better picture. the one exception may be Star wars when they release that (if they tweak some of the effects for the better picture). By this i mean remove wires etc that weren't visible before. i just recently watched blade runner in HD and you could see the wires holding the floating cop cars. That's just bad and IMO some movie just don't need to be converted and need some of the grainyness.

coolmovies
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Dark knight and batman begins.
For me if i have it on DVD i will not upgrade to bluray for the 10% to 20% better picture. the one exception may be Star wars when they release that (if they tweak some of the effects for the better picture). By this i mean remove wires etc that weren't visible before. i just recently watched blade runner in HD and you could see the wires holding the floating cop cars. That's just bad and IMO some movie just don't need to be converted and need some of the grainyness.

I am sick of Lucus bringing the same films out again and again and again !!

I wont be buying just to see a few deleted scene's

darthmaul1
Originally posted by coolmovies
I am sick of Lucus bringing the same films out again and again and again !!

I wont be buying just to see a few deleted scene's

I kind of know where you are coming from, but at least it's only done every few years not like the crappy avatar released in dec 2009 then on bluray in april 2010 then back to theaters in september 2010 then bluray again in november.
for star wars
back in 1991 i got the VHS
1997 the special edition.
1999 vhs episode 1
2001 dvd episode 1
2002 dvd epsiode 2
2004 dvd of special editions 4-6
2005 dvd episode 3
2006 dvd special and original 4-6 (i didn't get this one)
2008 dvd box sets of PT and OT (i didn't get these either)
2011 bluray of all 6
2012-2017 episodes 1 - 6 back in the theater.

The time frame between the releases isn't bad and no one is forcing anyone to get it. But some people will wait for box sets etc before they buy so i can see why the companies do it. in the cas of the 2006 releases, the only reason this was done was because some of the fans were screaming that they wanted the original cuts on DVD. they are doing the same thing for LOTR. they released the theatrical versions on bluray and the extended cuts will follow. why didn't they just release the far superior extended cuts and leave it at that? answer: money and it must be so cheap for them to produce these different copies that they can and don't care.

I will have to see what they do with the releases for the bluray before i get them
what i would like to see
1. fix lukes saber on the falcon episode 4
2. they will probably add digitized yoda in episode 1 (it was done for the star wars concert)
3. star destroy hitting deathstar 2 to be redone.
4.fix the matt lines in some of the space battles.

coolmovies
Avatar was only released twice and fans where warned that there would be a extended cut in November. Star wars has been released more times in cinema's and on VHS,DVD and now blu ray

darthmaul1
Avatar was only released twice and fans where warned that there would be a extended cut in November. Star wars has been released more times in cinema's and on VHS,DVD and now blu ray

Avatar was released 4 times in the span of 10 months. 2 theater releases and 2 DVD. That is worse than star wars being released in 97 VHS then 04 DVD then 06 (same as 04 just with original cuts ) then 2008 box sets of both trilogies (which are exactly the same as the previous DVDs )

coolmovies
Avatar was released 4 times in the span of 10 months. 2 theater releases and 2 DVD. That is worse than star wars being released in 97 VHS then 04 DVD then 06 (same as 04 just with original cuts ) then 2008 box sets of both trilogies (which are exactly the same as the previous DVDs )

Avatar only got 2 theater releases becouse the secoud was the extended cut !! same goes for the blu ray version which was relesed in April and nov 2010

Since 2004 star wars has been relesed every year !! Plus if you count VHS thats more then Avatar

darthmaul1
Avatar only got 2 theater releases becouse the secoud was the extended cut !! same goes for the blu ray version which was relesed in April and nov 2010

Since 2004 star wars has been relesed every year !! Plus if you count VHS thats more then Avatar

No it hasn't been released every year, as i stated before

2004 dvd of special editions 4-6
2006 dvd special and original 4-6 (only because the fans bitched they wanted the unalterd versions)
2008 dvd box sets of PT and OT (these were exactly the same as the 2004 OT and all the previous DVD's of the PT)
2011 bluray of all 6

coolmovies
This came out in 2005 without the bones disk just the films

coolmovies
Also this came out in 2007 same 2004 box set but in a TIN !

coolmovies
anyway i am happy with the OT that came out in 2006 which had both versions

darthmaul1
Hmm OK, but at least he didn't add one scene to each release to intise us to get it. smile
I heard the one in 2006 with the unaltered versions the picture quality sucked on them? and you may of well just put in a vhs copy.

coolmovies
Hmm OK, but at least he didn't add one scene to each release to intise us to get it. smile
I heard the one in 2006 with the unaltered versions the picture quality sucked on them? and you may of well just put in a vhs copy.

Thats true but i am not a star wars fan i just like to watch the movies

MildPossession
If you had seen it at the cinema, you would have seen the wires too. Blu ray is closer to cinema quality compared to dvd. Blu-ray will show the wires if there were wires seen in the cinema release. So it's the film makers fault it's there in the first place.

SnakeEyes
I finally caved and bought a blu-ray player...

The only film I've replaced thus far is The Dark Knight. Now I'm tempted to replace some others though, this sucks!

coolmovies
we will end up replacing our whole collection

darthmaul1
Originally posted by MildPossession
If you had seen it at the cinema, you would have seen the wires too. Blu ray is closer to cinema quality compared to dvd. Blu-ray will show the wires if there were wires seen in the cinema release. So it's the film makers fault it's there in the first place.

I'm going to go ahead and call bull shit. No way in hell is 1980's cinema close to bluray or DVD! The only stuff that comes close now are the digital theaters.

MildPossession
Blu-ray is closer to cinema quality, whatever year the film came out...

Metropolis, made in the 20s for example, is still best viewed on the cinema screen.

coolmovies
I'm going to go ahead and call bull shit. No way in hell is 1980's cinema close to bluray or DVD! The only stuff that comes close now are the digital theaters.

Not really mate films like Gone with the wind look fantastic on blu ray. Also films like Aliens which has been remasterd looks outstanding

darthmaul1
Not really mate films like Gone with the wind look fantastic on blu ray. Also films like Aliens which has been remasterd looks outstanding

I know the do, if it has been remastered properly (and if needed the effects retouched) but the other guy was saying bluray is closer to cinema quality than DVD. That why i said the only thing that comes close to DVD or bluray quality in the theater now would be a digital theater.

coolmovies
I know the do, if it has been remastered properly (and if needed the effects retouched) but the other guy was saying bluray is closer to cinema quality than DVD. That why i said the only thing that comes close to DVD or bluray quality in the theater now would be a digital theater.

what are your views on lucus bringing star wars in 3D ??

I think he's milking fans for there money

MildPossession
I'm female.

I pointed out that blu-ray is CLOSER to cinema quality than dvd, nothing hard to understand there or incorrect.

coolmovies
Originally posted by MildPossession
I'm female.

I pointed out that blu-ray is CLOSER to cinema quality than dvd, nothing hard to understand there or incorrect.

He will learn when he see's the difference big grin

darthmaul1
what are your views on lucus bringing star wars in 3D ??

You can look at it that way. But no one is forcing any one too go see it. I for one would go see them all again in the theater even if they weren't in 3d they could probably just relese them all only a couple of months apart. Instead of 1 year each

K.Diddy

thumb up

coolmovies
You can look at it that way. But no one is forcing any one too go see it. I for one would go see them all again in the theater even if they weren't in 3d they could probably just relese them all only a couple of months apart. Instead of 1 year each

Star wars fans will go and see it becouse its in 3D look at how much money Avatar has made $2,781+Billion at the box office. If each of the six star wars films make at least 1 Billion think of how much money he could make. nobody told him to do them in 3D!!

ITS ALL ABOUT F.....K MONEY !!! mad

T.M
Of course it is about money..

Movies are a business its always about money. This is kind of a ridiculous thing to complain about, if you don't like it don't pay to watch it.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by T.M
Of course it is about money..

Movies are a business its always about money. This is kind of a ridiculous thing to complain about, if you don't like it don't pay to watch it.

Exactly, hollywood is not in business to give things away. and as i said too, if you don't want to see them then don't go. at any rate it wouldn't matter if he was simply re-releasing them as he did in 1997 and before, people would still go see them if they weren't in 3D. I know i would. With STAR WARS it's all about the experience of seeing it in the theater.

coolmovies
Exactly, hollywood is not in business to give things away. and as i said too, if you don't want to see them then don't go. at any rate it wouldn't matter if he was simply re-releasing them as he did in 1997 and before, people would still go see them if they weren't in 3D. I know i would. With STAR WARS it's all about the experience of seeing it in the theater.

I am not gonna talk about SW in this tread anymore i will continue it over at

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=13162402#post13162402

SnakeEyes
Updated list of DVDs I've replaced: The Dark Knight, The Fountain, Fight Club, Magnolia, Children of Men, Sunshine, Memento, The Matrix and Terminator 2.

ScaryGerry
El Mariachi Trilogy (El Mariachi, Desperado, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico). All of them just came out on Blu-ray

Wolfie
I disagree. One year apart is for the best so people can plan accordingly.

When the films were re-released to theaters in 1997, they were released months apart and it was a little overwhelming. I only got around to seeing the first one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.