Green Lantern Hal vs. Gladiator at peak confidence

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Don Corleone
Who takes the majority ?

carver9
Gladiator 8/10.

tideoftime
Not sure exactly what spread I'd give, but while Hal is powerful, what he has in versatility won't compensate enough to beat Gladiator, so the latter takes at least the majority (6/10), and likely more...

Stoic
Hal would win every single time if he knew of Gladiator's weakness to certain ambient energies. If not Gladiator would take at the very least 8/10 wins.

-Pr-
All Hal's experience of going up against people like Glads should steer him well. Hal 6/7 out of ten.

shokosugi
Hal wins

Black bolt z
Originally posted by carver9
Gladiator 8/10.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by -Pr-
All Hal's experience of going up against people like Glads should steer him well. Hal 6/7 out of ten.

Blair Wind
Hal wins this more often than not.

carver9
Glads punch through everything hal brings to the table.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Blair Wind

celeyhyga17
Im going with gladz here since i would give supes the win over hal..

Prep-Man
Yet, Hal has done well against Superman. Even Pre-Crisis Superman.

Slaanesh
Hal for majority..

Simbon
Gladiator at Peak confidence gets to use only high-end feats; meaning taking out Vulcan like a chump, taking out a Phoenix, moving 100x speed of light, smashing planets, tanking supernovas, etc. Hal can get a few wins via strategy, but full-confidence Gladiator's speed, damage, and durability are too much for him in a straight-up fight. Glads 8/10.

carver9
I love glads as a character and all and I do believe that he would and could crush hal BUT I don't think that he can fight a 100 times the speed of light. It was space flight and I just don't consider that cannon to fighting speed. He has proven though that he can blitz in an enviromental environment at the speed of light which is still a huge speed gap between the two.

Warlord
Jordan

-Pr-
Originally posted by Simbon
Gladiator at Peak confidence gets to use only high-end feats; meaning taking out Vulcan like a chump, taking out a Phoenix, moving 100x speed of light, smashing planets, tanking supernovas, etc. Hal can get a few wins via strategy, but full-confidence Gladiator's speed, damage, and durability are too much for him in a straight-up fight. Glads 8/10.

that isn't how it works on the forum. we go by averages.

The Nuul

Speaking of that, whens the last time Glads punched a asteroid/small planet in half?

The Pict
Originally posted by Blair Wind

Badabing
Hal has his ring scan Gladiator for weaknesses. Then Hal wills his ring to recreate Glad's radiation weakness.

Psycho Doctor

Are all of Gladiator's average feats done at peak confidence? That is the stipulation here. Unless you think there's no difference between low confidence Gladiator and peak confidence Gladiator.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Psycho Doctor
Are all of Gladiator's average feats done at peak confidence? That is the stipulation here. Unless you think there's no difference between low confidence Gladiator and peak confidence Gladiator.
Has there ever been a peak confidence Gladiator on panel or is it some hypothetical bullshit like FP Galactus or Infinite Rage/Strength Hulk?

Nihilist
Hal takes this Superman lite to school

carver9
Originally posted by The Nuul
Speaking of that, whens the last time Glads punched a asteroid/small planet in half?

Its still his feat and he has done far better than shedding planets lately.

Psycho Doctor
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Has there ever been a peak confidence Gladiator on panel or is it some hypothetical bullshit like FP Galactus or Infinite Rage/Strength Hulk?

Then why bother adding "peak confidence" as a stipulation if it makes no difference whatsoever? Maybe the OP was implying the use of Gladiators high-end feats. There might not be any on panel feats of Gladiator at peak confidence, but I guess speculation isn't allowed in a versus forum....oh wait the entire point of hypothetical battles between comic heroes IS speculation. I almost forgot.

The Nuul

I dont think it was ever stated on panel.

Psycho Doctor
I dont think it was ever stated on panel.

Has Gladiator's confidence ever affected his powers on panel?

-Pr-

i read that as "steroid".

no idea, though.

the difference is that we eliminate the bad feats and keep the average/good ones, while knowing what the difference is.

confidence isn't a constant thing.

Psycho Doctor
i read that as "steroid".

no idea, though.

the difference is that we eliminate the bad feats and keep the average/good ones, while knowing what the difference is.

confidence isn't a constant thing.

The OP's stipulation imply that we assume confidence is constant for Gladiator. It's been shown on panel there's a linear relationship between Gladiator's confidence and his powers. The lower the confidence the weaker he his, the higher the confidence the more powerful he is. Peak confidence be definition means Gladiator at his most powerful. We haven't seen Gladiator at "peak-confidence" on panel, but that doesn't stop us from making educated guesses. If peak confidence means Gladiator at his strongest, then this means we SHOULD use Gladiator's strongest-feats because it's the closest thing we have on panel of him being at his most powerful.

-Pr-
The OP's stipulation imply that we assume confidence is constant for Gladiator. It's been shown on panel there's a linear relationship between Gladiator's confidence and his powers. The lower the confidence the weaker he his, the higher the confidence the more powerful he is. Peak confidence be definition means Gladiator at his most powerful. We haven't seen Gladiator at "peak-confidence" on panel, but that doesn't stop us from making educated guesses. If peak confidence means Gladiator at his strongest, then this means we SHOULD use Gladiator's strongest-feats because it's the closest thing we have on panel of him being at his most powerful.

the op didn't imply anything. it was quite bare.

gladiator by standard rules starts off at whatever standard confidence is for him.

i know about gladiator, and the rules remain the same. we go by averages.

khazra
Hal has no wins over supes, the best any GL has done is John's sucker punch style eye attack which stunned him.

im not convinced Hal can find and exploit glads weakness against someone this fast and strong.

Whilst gladiator is not quite superman, he's shown himself to be faster and stronger than thor which i believe is enough to win this fight.

Simbon
the op didn't imply anything. it was quite bare.

gladiator by standard rules starts off at whatever standard confidence is for him.

i know about gladiator, and the rules remain the same. we go by averages.

No, we normally go by averages, but Gladiator's power-source creates a loophole when people stipulate "full confidence".

-Pr-
Originally posted by Simbon
No, we normally go by averages, but Gladiator's power-source creates a loophole when people stipulate "full confidence".

no it doesn't, as his confidence can fluctuate. yes, you are allowed to use his high feats to an extent, but the averages are still used more often than not.

and the OP didn't state "full confidence" either.

khazra
He stated peak conidence, wich is similar.
Gladiators worse feats (colossus fight, Gambit 52 card pick up and colossus hitting back) can all be atrributed to his confidence not being at its "peak".

however, even considering these feats (and taking a more in depth look at the cannonbal feat which wasnt a fight at all) i'd give Gladiator the edge.

Starscream M

and the OP didn't state "full confidence" either. he did say peak confidence though

-Pr-
Originally posted by khazra
He stated peak conidence, wich is similar.
Gladiators worse feats (colossus fight, Gambit 52 card pick up and colossus hitting back) can all be atrributed to his confidence not being at its "peak".

however, even considering these feats (and taking a more in depth look at the cannonbal feat which wasnt a fight at all) i'd give Gladiator the edge.

for some reason i didn't spot that in the title. my bad.

it still doesn't negate his average showings in favour of his good ones. it's not a loophole.

Originally posted by Starscream M
he did say peak confidence though

i already responded.

khazra
As i say, the gambit and colossus are the only 2 bad showings i can think of.

Starscream M

it still doesn't negate his average showings in favour of his good ones. frankly, I think it does...cuz most of his poor showings can be directly attributed to low confidence...hence if we are taking him at peak confidence, then his showings are quite high

-Pr-

and that's fine, because we don't allow low showings anyway.

Originally posted by Starscream M
frankly, I think it does...cuz most of his poor showings can be directly attributed to low confidence...hence if we are taking him at peak confidence, then his showings are quite high

average =/= poor.

Deadline

it still doesn't negate his average showings in favour of his good ones. it's not a loophole.

I think it does to an extent because his average showings don't have him at peak.

Not sure if that Gambit one was a low showing.....

-Pr-
Guys, unless the OP actually says "only high feats" then we use the average feats as well as the high feats. It's not like they're bad or anything.

Deadline
Guys, unless the OP actually says "only high feats" then we use the average feats as well as the high feats. It's not like they're bad or anything.

Yea but its a bit like using Grey Hulk feats for WWHulk feats.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Deadline

how?

Omega Vision
Doesn't Grey Hulk have a strength feat above WWH's? vin

quanchi112
Doesn't Grey Hulk have a strength feat above WWH's? vin That doesn't mean he's stronger than him by any means.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by quanchi112
That doesn't mean he's stronger than him by any means.
No you're right. Maybe WWH did something better off panel. roll eyes (sarcastic)

quanchi112
No you're right. Maybe WWH did something better off panel. roll eyes (sarcastic) So you believe WW Hulk couldn't have performed the same feat ? Do you feel grey hulk was implied as more powerful than ww hulk ?

-Pr-
Guys, either way, the rules are clear. We go by averages and high feats as standard. In this case, the high feats are as usable as the average ones, but don't discount them.

Deadline
how?

It seems that when Gladiator is at peak confidence he is more powerful than he normally is.

Doesn't Grey Hulk have a strength feat above WWH's? vin

I think he does but you can clearly see from his other feats that he's less powerful than WWH eg fight with Abomination, Pineapple Thing etc. That feat is obvoulsy the exception.

quanchi112
It seems that when Gladiator is at peak confidence he is more powerful than he normally is.

I think he does but you can clearly see from his other feats that he's less powerful than WWH eg fight with Abomination, Pineapple Thing etc. That feat is obvoulsy the exception. Not only that there's no proof a stronger Hulk would fail in the exact same set of circumstances.

Deadline
Originally posted by quanchi112
Not only that there's no proof a stronger Hulk would fail in the exact same set of circumstances.

Obvoulsy he wouldn't.

-Pr-

and the same can be said of half a dozen characters. we still use their average feats as a component.

The Nuul
When is it ever stated on panel that Glads is peak confidence?

WhiteWitchKing
Gladiator.

dmills
Originally posted by Nihilist
Hal takes this Superman lite to school

laughing out loud

Prep-Man
Hal.

carver9
Gladiator 8/10

Mindset
Originally posted by carver9
Gladiator 8/10

Philosophía
Hal.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Glads wins this easily... 8/10... Now if it was Kyle... That is another matter... big grin

BattleMage
Gladiator doesn't have to be at peak confidence to take an 8/10
majority!

Prep-Man
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Glads wins this easily... 8/10... Now if it was Kyle... That is another matter... big grin

Hal stalemated Kyle while he was Ion, IIRC. Ion 2 that is.

Deadline
and the same can be said of half a dozen characters. we still use their average feats as a component.

Average Grey Hulk feats may not apply to WWH because he is much more powerful. Peak Glad maybe exempt from average showings because what affects normal Glad may not affect peak Glads.

Bentley
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi

QFT.

Originally posted by Prep-Man
Hal stalemated Kyle while he was Ion, IIRC. Ion 2 that is.

Fanboy!

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Bentley
QFT.

Fanboy!

I actually prefer Kyle, overall.

bobbi
If this is "peak confidence" gladiator of course we would use his high end feats. I don't get how this is even a discussion.

The stipulations of the OP state this is gladiator at his best according to what his powers give him (aka peak confidence). It's like saying superman when he's been in a yellow sun for 1000 years. It would be ridiculous to have superman's average showings as evidence to how he would do in that fight. We would use his highest showings as a minimum and of course showing of when he has been in a yellow sun for extended periods of time and extrapolate from there.

It's no different for gladiator. If we have some evidence that his high showings are when he's more confident, it's perfectly legitimate to use those cases and not his average showings.

99% of the threads here are variations of a characters average showing. We give them advantages and tools or give them additional weaknesses to discuss what would happen. Putting gladiator at peak confidence is no difference than giving thor his belt of strength except it's a little harder to gauge when gladiator is actually at peak confidence. The showings we use change based on the OP's stipulations and peak confidence is an OP stipulation.

as for the actual question, I think i'd give gladiator a slight majority, just based on how superman has done vs GL. Still think hal can beat him if he plans it out better but he rarely does in comics.

Mindset
Hal stalemated Kyle while he was Ion, IIRC. Ion 2 that is. That wasn't Kyle, that was Nero using a fraction of Kyle's power.

the ninjak
Gladiator

-Pr-
Average Grey Hulk feats may not apply to WWH because he is much more powerful. Peak Glad maybe exempt from average showings because what affects normal Glad may not affect peak Glads.

not the same thing. and if anyone were to qualify as a loophole, it would be the hulk.

Deadline
not the same thing. and if anyone were to qualify as a loophole, it would be the hulk.

I really think you missed the point. Does this help?

Originally posted by bobbi
Putting gladiator at peak confidence is no difference than giving thor his belt of strength except it's a little harder to gauge when gladiator is actually at peak confidence. The showings we use change based on the OP's stipulations and peak confidence is an OP stipulation.

Or is this not the same thing either?

-Pr-
I really think you missed the point. Does this help?

Or is this not the same thing either?

i didn't miss the point, and i did read what he said; i just disagree with it.

and even if i did agree, it's not up for discussion unless the OP said "only high feats."

i don't believe they did.

Deadline
i didn't miss the point, and i did read what he said; i just disagree with it.

and even if i did agree, it's not up for discussion unless the OP said "only high feats."

i don't believe they did.

I give up. durhulk

bobbi
Pr, you have given us no reason not to think this is the same as every other stipulation from an OP besides "we always do average showings" which we've given examples as to not being true.

Your stance basically denies gladiators power completely. You're saying his confidence has absolutely no effect on how powerful he is. You say that gladiator's average showings should be equivalent to his showing at peak confidence.

Therefore you think gladiator at peak confidence is no stronger than he is at average confidence which makes no sense for the character.

Let me try to break this down for you.

1) The OP said gladiator at peak confidence.
2) gladiator gets stronger the more confident he is

Therefore gladiator at peak confidence is stronger than when he is at average confidence.

3) gladiator should be at average confidence an average amount of the time

4) gladiators average showing should be at average confidence.

Therefore gladiator at peak confidence should be stronger than his average showing.

5) The only showings stronger than his average showings are showings with his high end feats.

Therefore gladiator at peak confidence should have a strength more equal to the showings in his high end feats.

Desaad
I'll just answer 'average gladiator' since peak confidence Gladiator seems to be too confusing.

Hal. Hal wins. Too versatile, too capable, to powerful to lose.

Hal, 7/10.

Don Corleone

Rhiaggo
Hal has far more power to play wth, but Glad's physical attributes are just a bt overwhealming in this situation. What it would come down to is Glad's speed vs Hal's norman human reaction, an a speedster will always win in ths case.

Konton
Originally posted by Rhiaggo
Hal has far more power to play wth, but Glad's physical attributes are just a bt overwhealming in this situation. What it would come down to is Glad's speed vs Hal's norman human reaction, an a speedster will always win in ths case.

Hal can teleport and he's not exactly a slow flyer.

-Pr-

aztec
Hal takes the majority, he's dealt with bricks before. Gladiator isn't anything special.

Don Corleone

a simple yay or nay would have been fine.

Well when I see posters debating what peak is for 4 pages , it brings out the sneer in me . Good day your highness.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Well when I see posters debating what peak is for 4 pages , it brings out the sneer in me . Good day your highness.

you call that a debate? shame on you.

Don Corleone
you call that a debate? shame on you.

I say again , good day .

Mindset
Originally posted by aztec
Hal takes the majority, he's dealt with bricks before. Gladiator isn't anything special. Special enough to shove Hal's ring up his ass.

Prep-Man

hal was one of the only ones to catch zoom. plus he and barry had races together.

Rhiaggo
"]Hal can teleport and he's not exactly a slow flyer."

"hal was one of the only ones to catch zoom. plus he and barry had races together."

Hal can "fly"fast but Glad can"move"fast which is the difference is also what makes a speedster.

bobbi
no i didn't.

yeah... completely ignore my entire argument and just say I'm wrong.. Great debating skills there...

-Pr-
yeah... completely ignore my entire argument and just say I'm wrong.. Great debating skills there...

i didn't ignore it; i just didn't want to quote a wall of text and go through every minute detail.

i'm sorry if that offends you, but i honestly thought i picked out the central part of your point. if i didn't, then please, enlighten me.

Desaad

While there is no doubt that Hal is slower than Gladiator, he's demonstrated the ability to affect beings as fast or faster than Glads. And GLads has had troubles with people much slower than he is, like Thor.

carver9
Originally posted by Desaad
While there is no doubt that Hal is slower than Gladiator, he's demonstrated the ability to affect beings as fast or faster than Glads. And GLads has had troubles with people much slower than he is, like Thor.

So are you saying that hal could beat thor because in my eyes, thor would crush hal as well?

bobbi
i didn't ignore it; i just didn't want to quote a wall of text and go through every minute detail.

i'm sorry if that offends you, but i honestly thought i picked out the central part of your point. if i didn't, then please, enlighten me.

This is a debate forum.. you're suppose to debate. Not just say yes or no. If someone has an argument you provide a counter argument. You don't just disagree... and leave it at that. Otherwise this entire vs forum would be filled with "yes, no yes no yes no" in every thread. I provided an argument supporting my view. The appropriate thing would be for you to provide a counterargument either refuting the points I made or at the least an argument supporting your own points.

You did neither. You just said you disagreed.

Mindset
Just ignore pr, he's a troll, he'll be banned soon.

Naija boy
Gladiator

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Desaad

The rings can lock on to speedsters, right?

-Pr-
This is a debate forum.. you're suppose to debate. Not just say yes or no. If someone has an argument you provide a counter argument. You don't just disagree... and leave it at that. Otherwise this entire vs forum would be filled with "yes, no yes no yes no" in every thread. I provided an argument supporting my view. The appropriate thing would be for you to provide a counterargument either refuting the points I made or at the least an argument supporting your own points.

You did neither. You just said you disagreed.

i had already made my point in other posts, though, that were relevant to yours. they're throughout this thread.

The rings can lock on to speedsters, right?

yep.

bobbi
i had already made my point in other posts, though, that were relevant to yours. they're throughout this thread.

yep.

yeah.. I read your posts...you're not worth talking to anymore. Everything you've said so far is barely even an argument much less an argument against my points. I'll respond to you when you learn what an argument and a debate is. I'm out.

-Pr-
yeah.. I read your posts...you're not worth talking to anymore. Everything you've said so far is barely even an argument much less an argument against my points. I'll respond to you when you learn what an argument and a debate is. I'm out.

pr1983

i'm sorry i didn't give you the attention you so obviously deserve.

Deadline
Aw to hell with it. I don't want no beef, but:

I'll respond to you when you learn what an argument and a debate is. I'm out.

thumb up Pretty much.

-Pr-

thumb up Pretty much.

shrug

Don Corleone

thumb up Pretty much.

Agreed thumb up

I respect the fact you're honest, even if it means getting banned.

-Pr-
Let me get one thing straight:

Moderators are not babysitters. We are not here to service your every beck and call. We post when we can, and if we can, and then only if we want to. We have lives of our own, and really don't have the time to respond to every big post with something of equal measure. The fact that we post at all means we like to have some sort of dialogue with people.

If that isn't enough for you, then I'm sorry, but that's not my fault, nor is it going to change the fact that I, like any other member of this board, can choose who I reply to and who I don't, and how I reply.

Badabing
Deadline, you don't know when to quit. Consider yourself warning for trolling and arguing with a mod.

BattleMage
laughing out loud

Don Corleone
Mods, at my request please close this thread.

This thread = sick

The Nuul
Hal wens.

Badabing
Originally posted by Badabing
Deadline, you don't know when to quit. Consider yourself warning for trolling and arguing with a mod. Originally posted by BattleMage
laughing out loud biscuits

Don Corleone
Originally posted by Badabing
biscuits
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Mods, at my request please close this thread.

This thread = sick

Thanks sport.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.