2010 TIME person of the year: Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
For connecting more than half a billion people and mapping the social relations among them; for creating a new system of exchanging information; and for changing how we all live our lives, Mark Elliot Zuckerberg is TIME's 2010 Person of the Year.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,2036683,00.html

dadudemon
Cool. Glad to see a computer guy finally make person of the year.

Dave_97
facebook?

you mean myspace.
tom has got mad skills.

FistOfThe North
Runner's up:

The Tea Party: Populist political movement

Hamid Karzai: 12th and current President of Afghanistan

Julian Assange: whistleblower/spokesperson and editor in chief for WikiLeaks

The Chilean Miners: Mining accident survivors (trapped for 70 days)

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2036683,00.html

ADarksideJedi
Praise be him!

Robtard
Well, not the first time Time has put a scumbag up.

Incognito_bloke
Originally posted by Robtard

Well said!

FistOfThe North

Why do you think he's a scumbag?

Robtard
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Why do you think he's a scumbag?

Idea thief and general all around a weasel.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Idea thief and general all around a weasel.
And a Jew.

Quiero Mota

Well, being a "scumbag" isn't a disqualifier for Person of the Year. A person becomes PotY for shaping and/or influencing world society...not for being a goody-two-shoes choir boy. I mean, what exactly did those Chilean miners do?

Robtard
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Well, being a "scumbag" isn't a disqualifier for Person of the Year. A person becomes PotY for shaping and/or influencing world society...not for being a goody-two-shoes choir boy. I mean, what exactly did those Chilean miners do?

I know, wasn't saying Suckerberg isn't deserving of the node, just that he's another scumbag added to the list.

Quiero Mota
Okay, and?

Bardock42
I don't know, man, it seems like you can play the "Okay, and?" game with everything ad infinitum...

King Kandy
Julian Assange: whistleblower/spokesperson and editor in chief for WikiLeaks

Should have been this, imo.

Quiero Mota
Yeah, I guess I do, don't I.

FistOfThe North

That's true, after all Hitler and John Gotti made the list before. But with regard to the chilean miners, imo, the fact that they didn't crack and held on to hope for that long showed spirit* and bravery. Desirable qualities not alot of people have nowadays. They could've given up.

*not in the religious sense.

Quiero Mota
That's true, after all Hitler and John Gotti made the list before. But with regard to the chilean miners, imo, the fact that they didn't crack and held on to hope for that long showed spirit* and bravery. Desirable qualities not alot of people have nowadays. They could've given up.

*not in the religious sense.

Well at the time Hitler wasn't yet a badguy. It was before WW2 or any holocaust, so he was the man who revived a war-weary and Depression Era Germany.

As for the miners: entering a primal survival-mode when you have no other option doesn't qualify being influential, just because there happened to be cameras present.

FistOfThe North
Well at the time Hitler wasn't yet a badguy. It was before WW2 or any holocaust, so he was the man who revived a war-weary and Depression Era Germany.

As for the miners: entering a primal survival-mode when you have no other option doesn't qualify being influential, just because there happened to be cameras present.

Alright what about gotti?

And with the miners there were other options. They could've lost their minds, commited suicide, killed others. Basically lose all hope.

The story is inspirational because you would need a very strong will to survive that incident.

Robtard
When did Gotti get it?

Chilean miners was done to bandwagon, nothing else. The minute they were pulled from the hole, the world stop caring and any influence had (if any) fizzled just like the news coverage.

Symmetric Chaos

He'd already conquered Austria. For goodness sake the cover image was, to quote Time, "Hitler playing his hymn of hate in a desecrated cathedral while victims dangle on a St. Catherine's wheel and the Nazi hierarchy looks on".

Omega Vision
Yeah I don't think being person of the year requires that you be a good guy.

Liberator
This is stupid.

FistOfThe North
When did Gotti get it?

Chilean miners was done to bandwagon, nothing else. The minute they were pulled from the hole, the world stop caring and any influence had (if any) fizzled just like the news coverage.

My bad, he just made the cover once. I saw it on some movie about him years ago where some dons talked about it and i thought it was the person of the year. but it was just this..

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/topic/7960/john-gotti-time-magazine-29-september-1986.htm

but the name is known the world over. no one's forgotten. everytime the phrase is said it inspires hope. the news wasn't as polular in the u.s. afterwards. but in central and south america it's very well known and popular. They're somewhat heroes/celebrities down there because of such an incident and their trials.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.