Tron: The original

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K.Diddy
beer Well,With Tron:Legacy out now, I decided to check out the original Tron the other night,Absoulotely Awful, I found the movie's visuals were almost painful too watch,The movie failed to make you feel for any of the charectars,I also think that the plot was just too technical for it's own good,making it appeal even less to the general audience that usually watch Disney Movies.I rate it a 3/10

smokin' Please keep in mind that this thread is for discussing the Original Tron only,there is already a thread for Tron Legacy. I would love to hear everyone else's opinion on this movie

Kazenji
Its been yeeeeeears since i've seen the first Tron movie

wondering if Disney decided not to re-release movie incase people rushed to see the the first one and then put off becasue of it.

General_Iroh
Yeah they visuals while from what I understand were awesome for the time just look awful now. The plot wasn't compelling enough to really keep me interested throughout and as much as I love Jeff Bridges now I have to say that his earlier work isn't nearly as appealing. And Tron imo wasn't that great of a character either, the movie as a whole was just disappointing, probably because I'd always heard such great things about it. But it wasn't all bad, I really liked the idea behind tron, of being able to enter this world, and that they have you actually play the video games inside, but I feel like the story was just poorly told I guess. Mind you it's been a good two or three years since I've seen it and I only watched it once erm

ADarksideJedi
I remember alittle bit of the first Tron movie and it was good for the ninetys acourse it could had been better.

BruceSkywalker
i saw the first tron at the cineramadome in hollywood when i was little..

i thoroughly enjoyed it

dadudemon
I loved this film as it was very very fun and the story was great.

Of course, a film based on state-of the art visuals would quickly become antiquated unless you can produce "real" looking textures and biologically fluidic movements (something that even Avatar succeeded on in the former, but still did not quite get right on the latter).

However, the age of "antiquated" visual effects is starting to come to a close. We are slowly getting to the point that visual effects will no longer become noticeably outdated, ever.

That said, I still enjoy the art style of Tron, even today. I give it an 8 out of 10 for it's time and a 6 out of 10 if I were to grade it by today's standards: it still has a specific artistic form that I like a lot and the story is pretty cool.

Full Disclosure: I saw the film about 17 years ago so my opinion, itself, may be outdated.

Impediment
Tron is a sci-fi classic. The SFX may be antiquated, but what do you expect for a film made 30 years ago?

The film is good, cheesy fun. I can't wait to see Legacy.

BackFire
Legacy was pretty solid, I enjoyed it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I remember alittle bit of the first Tron movie and it was good for the ninetys acourse it could had been better.

You mean 80's.

ADarksideJedi
Yea eightys sorry.

dadudemon
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Yea eightys sorry.

I knew what you meant which is why I did not correct you, lol

roughrider
I've heard today that anyone owning a TRON DVD, that could be worth a lot of money. Disney has spent the past little while pulling it from shelves (so the rumour goes.)
You think when TRON: legacy is nearing it's DVD/Blu-ray release...
are they planning to release the first TRON in Blu-ray with some updated CGI? You know, there's actually only 12 minutes of computer animation in it. A lot of the rest is matte painting FX. Perhaps it would be easy to do.

I don't care one way or another. It's an imaginary virtual world that wasn't intended to look like the real one, so it has a look based on the computer power of 1982. It's look doesn't contradict the sequel's representation of the grid.

SnakeEyes
Hated Tron.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Hated Tron.

smile Do you mind going into more detail why?

Esau Cairn
Yeah I was 14 when Tron hit the big screen.
From memory the special effects were amazing for its time but I also remember getting bored with the drawn out race scenes & the characters not being too likeable to care much about them.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by dadudemon
I knew what you meant which is why I did not correct you, lol

Thanks. smile

Kazenji
iIMb3hGzWW8

General_Iroh
Originally posted by roughrider
I've heard today that anyone owning a TRON DVD, that could be worth a lot of money. Disney has spent the past little while pulling it from shelves (so the rumour goes.)
You think when TRON: legacy is nearing it's DVD/Blu-ray release...
are they planning to release the first TRON in Blu-ray with some updated CGI? You know, there's actually only 12 minutes of computer animation in it. A lot of the rest is matte painting FX. Perhaps it would be easy to do.

I don't care one way or another. It's an imaginary virtual world that wasn't intended to look like the real one, so it has a look based on the computer power of 1982. It's look doesn't contradict the sequel's representation of the grid.
Yeah I dunno what they'd do unless they went back and somehow found a way to put everyone's face in color, which was one of the biggest problems I had with it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.