Pope blames the 70s for Pedophilia

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

inimalist
http://www.livescience.com/culture/catholic-pope-blames-society-for-pedophile-priests-101221.html

the article goes on to describe the logical fallacy in the argument, but as a matter of fact the claims are questionable anyways.

As far back as the reformation, pedophilia by Catholic priests was propoganda used by the Protestants, indicating that popular support would not have been for the act. Further, child molestation was a major criticism layed by the Marquis de Sade, amongst other enlightenment thinkers, against the catholics.

King Kandy
Well that's just dumb.

dadudemon
Originally posted by King Kandy
Well that's just dumb.

QFT.

I cannot think of any society that "accepted" child molestation. Sure, some kept it "quiet" and overlooked it more than others, but I do not know of one single culture that thought it was 'good' or 'acceptable.'

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
I cannot think of any society that "accepted" child molestation. Sure, some kept it "quiet" and overlooked it more than others, but I do not know of one single culture that thought it was 'good' or 'acceptable.'

Depending on where you set the standard for "child" the Greeks may be argued to have idolized it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Depending on where you set the standard for "child" the Greeks may be argued to have idolized it.

I thought that was a myth that the Greeks thought it was awesome and, in fact, it was looked down upon?

Omega Vision
I thought that was a myth that the Greeks thought it was awesome and, in fact, it was looked down upon?
I think it was more or less accepted if not necessarily glorified.

King Castle
i blame more or less deviant religious groups and forced celibacy..

pope living in glass houses shouldnt throw stones

Symmetric Chaos
Next up for Benedict. "Hey man, everyone was inquisitioning! We didn't want to get left out."

Running around with boys get a shout out in Symposium.

From 181a onward: 181a

inimalist

skekUng
Originally posted by King Castle
i blame more or less deviant religious groups and forced celibacy..

pope living in glass houses shouldnt throw stones

Yeah, the pope is an idiot...or at least pretends to be for the sake of official dogma.

However, I'm not sure the glass house idiom is applicable simply because he's a catholic addressing the actions of other catholics. If he has remained faithfully celibate and has never molested a child because he can't fornicate, then he's not throwing stones in a glass house. In fact, if we accept that he has not molested kids or had sex since his oath, then he deserves to be the first in line to cast that sinless stone.

Well, after me, who thinks he and every guilty member of his organization should be strung up for child abuse and institutionalized cover-ups. You just can't blame the Village People for gay sex, much less gay sex for pedophilia.

dadudemon

General_Iroh

Sadako of Girth
Well...The Popes a cer-hunt, then. Its official.

BackFire
I blame the 70's for the pope.

Sadako of Girth
laughing out loud

Mr. Rhythmic

It is virtually factual that they did, but that was far before Christianity began.
As far as the pope's words, you don't blame the dairy farmers just because you spilt a glass of milk. Man up to the problems at hand instead of pointing fingers.

Symmetric Chaos

Originally posted by BackFire
I blame the 70's for the pope. I blame the 30s in Germany

King Castle
sometimes the cover of a book tells you everything you need to know of whats inside...

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/wp-content/uploads/pope.jpg

he's leering at me!! shock

He is one creepy **** indeed

http://www.buzzfeed.com/eixo/12-evilest-pope-pictures-e9k

Bicnarok

Robtard
Only in order to "prevent the sad waste of attentions paid to an object so uncertain." He's saying there should be a law against breaking their hearts.

There's a lot contradiction, while the man-and-boy aspect is factual in ancient Greek culture, there are those that argue that it wasn't a sexual relationship and there is proof that a grown man taking a young boy (especially anal) was looked down upon by Greek society.

Seems to wan from period to period. It's okay, it's not okay, it's okay again etc. ****ing Greeks.

Robtard

ADarksideJedi
Being how the seventys were I argee with that to a certain point.But there is really no excuse for it happening.And also there is more pasters who do the same thing.

inimalist

Mindship
So much for taking responsibility for one's behavior.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindship
So much for taking responsibility for one's behavior.

What's the Pope supposed to say? "Alright, the Catholic church has a long history of protecting known child molesters from the law and even outright placing them repeatedly in positions where they could continue to molest more children, but it's all good now, I've taken over."

Mindship
Originally posted by Robtard
What's the Pope supposed to say? "Alright, the Catholic church has a long history of protecting known child molesters from the law and
even outright placing them repeatedly in positions where they could continue to molest more children, but it's all good now, I've taken over." I'd settle for something like, "The Church was wrong. May God forgive us, help us make amends and may we learn from these grievous betrayals of trust." To do this, IMO, would be truly an act of a man of God.

Not realistic, I know. But that's what should've been said, IMO.

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
It is virtually factual that they did, but that was far before Christianity began.
As far as the pope's words, you don't blame the dairy farmers just because you spilt a glass of milk. Man up to the problems at hand instead of pointing fingers.
It's not fact. Pederasty was practiced widely, but at that time, it meant just love, not sex. It was considered degrading for a man to anally penetrate a young boy.

dadudemon
But do you really think the priest who molest alter-boys do it just because they're not allowed to be with a woman and if the "no marriage in the priesthood" was lifted they wouldn't have gone diddling little boys or do you think these priest are just pederast *****?

Sort of.

There is no sexual release for them and, as you know, no release will make a man more sexually aggressive (At least, that's what Dr. Gary Chapman outlined in more romantic terms in his book, "The 5 Love Languages."wink

The bible even indicates that the bishop should be taken to one wife and no strong drink (alcoholic beverages), so why are any alcoholic beverages used by any bishop and why are not all of them at least married? Some say that the bishops referred to in the new testament, in that verse, refers specifically to anyone in authority in the church...which would include your priests, bishops, archbishops, popes, and so forth.

So, that would change the qualifications: you would have to be married and abstain from alcoholic beverages to be one of authority in the Catholic church. (or any church that professes to be Christian.)

But, see, Christians have a long history of picking and choosing which "rules" they choose to follow.

Summary: Catholic priests should be married. May have prevented lots of the child molestation cases.

Robtard
Sort of.

There is no sexual release for them and, as you know, no release will make a man more sexually aggressive (At least, that's what Dr. Gary Chapman outlined in more romantic terms in his book, "The 5 Love Languages."wink

The bible even indicates that the bishop should be taken to one wife and no strong drink (alcoholic beverages), so why are any alcoholic beverages used by any bishop and why are not all of them at least married? Some say that the bishops referred to in the new testament, in that verse, refers specifically to anyone in authority in the church...which would include your priests, bishops, archbishops, popes, and so forth.

So, that would change the qualifications: you would have to be married and abstain from alcoholic beverages to be one of authority in the Catholic church. (or any church that professes to be Christian.)

But, see, Christians have a long history of picking and choosing which "rules" they choose to follow.

Summary: Catholic priests should be married. May have prevented lots of the child molestation cases.

If they chased alter-boys because of pent up sexual frustration due to celibacy, why didn't they instead find an adult (male or female) to have sex with? Going to a prostitute would have been far less risky than diddling a child, in terms of being caught.

Conclusion: They're pedophiles; it likely has nothing to do with imposed celibacy.

But I agree, Priest should be allowed to marry.

The thing is that paedophiles might be overrepresented in the church, either because they joined for the oportunities or because of their feelings of guilt, as an atempt to control their own urges or a belief that a religious life would help them transcend them or whatever. but yeah, celibacy isnt the root cause of it.

King Castle
Originally posted by 753
The thing is that paedophiles might be overrepresented in the church, either because they joined for the oportunities or because of their feelings of guilt, as an atempt to control their own urges or a belief that a religious life would help them transcend them or whatever. but yeah, celibacy isnt the root cause of it. just a compounding one... smokin'

King Kandy
Originally posted by 753
or because of their feelings of guilt, as an atempt to control their own urges or a belief that a religious life would help them transcend them or whatever
If I had to guess the #1 cause, i'd say this.

dadudemon
If they chased alter-boys because of pent up sexual frustration due to celibacy, why didn't they instead find an adult (male or female) to have sex with? Going to a prostitute would have been far less risky than diddling a child, in terms of being caught.

Conclusion: They're pedophiles; it likely has nothing to do with imposed celibacy.

It's because most do not have "real" experience with adult relationships (making the plunge into the dating scene a bit dificult), the children are far easier to access because they are around each other often, and the children are far easier to get get a sexual release from ("no dinner and movie with witty banter" type of situation for them).....AND they are pedophiles.

But I agree, Priest should be allowed to marry.

They should.

Originally posted by 753
The thing is that paedophiles might be overrepresented in the church, either because they joined for the oportunities or because of their feelings of guilt, as an atempt to control their own urges or a belief that a religious life would help them transcend them or whatever. but yeah, celibacy isnt the root cause of it.

I stil say that no release makes them more sexually agressive or at least do things that they would not do if they were not so horny. It is at least part of it. They would not seek sexual gratification if they did not have a sex drive. (Unless the vast majority of Pedophiles are Nymphos? I've never read that.)

the issue isn't that they can't get release with adults, rather that their sex drive is directed at children so releasing it would result in child molestation regardless of celibacy with adults.

dadudemon
Originally posted by 753
the issue isn't that they can't get release with adults, rather that their sex drive is directed at children so releasing it would result in child molestation regardless of celibacy with adults.

But isn't that a bit off? Meaning, doesn't the frequency of "pedophiles" occur more often in the Catholic church than it does in the population?

Further meaning...wouldn't that indicate that some of them are not strictly pedophiles but looking for sexual gratification with someone or would that mean that the clergy is a position for which pedophiles flock due to access to children?

Regardless, they still have to have a sex drive in order to take out their actions on children. They cannot masturbate nor can they have sexual relations. What is one of the only situations that they can get sexual gratification? They certainly wouldn't get it with an adult during a counseling session. They certainly could with a child while the child helps take down the Mass goodies and put them away. (I do not know when and where these children are primarily molested. I'm just guessing.)

The Nuul
The pope is probably a Pedophilia.

But isn't that a bit off? Meaning, doesn't the frequency of "pedophiles" occur more often in the Catholic church than it does in the population?

Further meaning...wouldn't that indicate that some of them are not strictly pedophiles but looking for sexual gratification with someone or would that mean that the clergy is a position for which pedophiles flock due to access to children?

Hence my original post

All people have sex drives. Pedophile's drives are directed at children because of a sexual disorder not because they're frustrated. I'm pretty sure they can and do jack off and this would be much simpler for relief than molesting children. So would going to prostitutes.

dadudemon
Originally posted by 753
Hence my original post

All people have sex drives. Pedophile's drives are directed at children because of a sexual disorder not because they're frustrated. I'm pretty sure they can and do jack off and this would be much simpler for relief than molesting children. So would going to prostitutes.

I dunno...some people can keep from masturbating until the fat lady at the gym is starting to look good. *raises hand*

inimalist
Originally posted by 753

I was looking for stats on this earlier, but couldn't find anything (as speculative as they would be anyways). do you just assume the overrepresentation? or have you seen something on it?

further, we are ignoring the power/authority aspect of the priest/clergy relationship. those sort of social contextual positions can impact behavior in huge ways

Haven't seen anything solid on it, I think they might be overrepresented in the church because reports about it are more abundant in the media than for any other institution or profession. This may simply be a product of the media giving more atention to molestation within the church because it causes a bigger impact. Then again, I suspect medical professionals, social workers, school teachers, etc. would cause an equal or bigger uproar and we don't see nearly as much reporting on abuses in these fields, even though people in them have equal or greater access to children in situations in which they are implicitly trusted by both the children and their parents.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.