Dumbledore vs Gandalf the White

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
Battle site is in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Who wins?

Robtard
Movies, Dumbledore.

This was done before.

Kaibs
Unfortunately. Book wise Gandalf would crush Dumbledore though.

quanchi112
Why does Dumbledore win this ?

Lord Lucien
Cuz of his vast array of spells and surprising speed for someone so old. Movie Gandalf has a flashlight and the ability to fall of his horse.

BruceSkywalker
Dumble's stomps than he tells gandalf to act better in the hobbit laughing out loud

quanchi112
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Cuz of his vast array of spells and surprising speed for someone so old. Movie Gandalf has a flashlight and the ability to fall of his horse. Movie gandalf was pretty impressive in the movie imo. I see this as very close.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by quanchi112
Movie gandalf was pretty impressive in the movie imo. I see this as very close. He... did what combtatively that could hurt Dumbledore? Beat up an old man? Yelled at people? Drew "Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound"? Shined a flashlight?

Dumbledore FTW.

quanchi112
He... did what combtatively that could hurt Dumbledore? Beat up an old man? Yelled at people? Drew "Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound"? Shined a flashlight?

Dumbledore FTW. Coughs......Balrog.

Or do you feel that doesn't apply here ?

Lord Lucien
Coughs......Balrog.

Or do you feel that doesn't apply here ? Well which part? The part where he dissipated a flame, or the part where he cracked a stone, or the part where he sucked lightning in to his sword? Cuz none of that amounts to a hill of beans compared to Dumbledore.

Or did you mean the part where he tripped? Cuz that shit was epic.

quanchi112
Well which part? The part where he dissipated a flame, or the part where he cracked a stone, or the part where he sucked lightning in to his sword? Cuz none of that amounts to a hill of beans compared to Dumbledore.

Or did you mean the part where he tripped? Cuz that shit was epic. The entire fight scene where he want one on one against him. What has dumbledore done greater than this ?

the ninjak
Gandalf the White showed the ability to make his opponents weapons burn at the touch. When he made his presence known to the heroes and owning them.
Bye Bye wand.
Showed telekinetic ability in his fight with Sauron.
Blinding white light blinding Dumbledore.

He wins this fight passively.
Helps Dumble up and become allies.

quanchi112
Originally posted by the ninjak
Gandalf the White showed the ability to make his opponents weapons burn at the touch. When he made his presence known to the heroes and owning them.
Bye Bye wand.
Showed telekinetic ability in his fight with Sauron.
Blinding white light blinding Dumbledore.

He wins this fight passively.
Helps Dumble up and become allies. Yeah, I can't imagine dumbledore beating him at all. It just seems harry potter fans have really done a number on this movie vs. section thus far.

the ninjak
Yeah, I can't imagine dumbledore beating him at all. It just seems harry potter fans have really done a number on this movie vs. section thus far.

Using Gandalf....especially White in a forum fight is not a good idea because his powers where mainly FAITH BASED. The universe gave him what he needed when the threat was big and not much when dealing with barbarians.
Against Dumble I can't see why the fight wouldn't end differently as to when he presented himself to the heroes in the beginning of The Two Towers.

Lord Lucien
Bye Bye wand. Gandalf is also shown to be bound in a Man's body, and can bleed. And can't move at speeds fast enough to dodge a single curse or hex that will completely incapicate him. Like say, the Killing Curse, Crucio, Accio staff, Confundu. He will not dodge (or block for that matter) a single spell. And he will lose within seconds.

Showed telekinetic ability in his fight with Sauron. And was promptly bloodied and winded after a few smacks. Also, I hope you'll understand when I say that I'm not inclined to believe in Gandalf's Dumbledore-crushing abilities when his defender can't even remember who he fought.

Blinding white light blinding Dumbledore. Damn. Dumbledore will never be able to shield himself against... dum dum DUM... light!

Rogue Jedi

Damn. Dumbledore will never be able to shield himself against... dum dum DUM... light! Deluminator?

Lord Lucien
More like delumi-unnecessary, amirite? *high fives*

Rogue Jedi
haermm

Pwned
Yeah Dumbledore wins

Gandalf has a flashlight, big woop, Dumbledore can get one from Wal Mart or something

the ninjak
Gandalf is also shown to be bound in a Man's body, and can bleed. And can't move at speeds fast enough to dodge a single curse or hex that will completely incapicate him. Like say, the Killing Curse, Crucio, Accio staff, Confundu. He will not dodge (or block for that matter) a single spell. And he will lose within seconds.

And was promptly bloodied and winded after a few smacks. Also, I hope you'll understand when I say that I'm not inclined to believe in Gandalf's Dumbledore-crushing abilities when his defender can't even remember who he fought.

Damn. Dumbledore will never be able to shield himself against... dum dum DUM... light!

The light was just added to blind Dumble.....obviously.

And Dumbledore was always two steps from the grave the only reason he helped Harry was so he could get some of that ass. LOL using Gandalf being thrown against a wall TWICE a low showing...LO freakin LOUD.

What's your point? Dumble cant cast spells with his wand burning at the touch and blinded by white light?

You guys can't Geek Rape me.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Pwned
Yeah Dumbledore wins

Gandalf has a flashlight, big woop, Dumbledore can get one from Wal Mart or something What has Dumbledore done than that impressed you ?

Lord Lucien
The light was just added to blind Dumble.....obviously.

And Dumbledore was always two steps from the grave the only reason he helped Harry was so he could get some of that ass. LOL using Gandalf being thrown against a wall TWICE a low showing...LO freakin LOUD.I'll be honest, I don't fully know what's going on in this post.

What's your point? Dumble cant cast spells with his wand burning at the touch and blinded by white light?

You guys can't Geek Rape me. And if the only thing Gandalf can do is heat up a metal sword of no particular power or value, then he's dead. Kinda makes you wonder why he didn't heat up the weapons of all those Orcs and Uruk-hai...

And yes we can.

the ninjak
I'll be honest, I don't fully know what's going on in this post.

And if the only thing Gandalf can do is heat up a metal sword of no particular power or value, then he's dead. Kinda makes you wonder why he didn't heat up the weapons of all those Orcs and Uruk-hai...

And yes we can.

Ummm that sword belonged to the future King of the Land. And there is nothing to say it can't happen to anything else. You're reaching.
And the reason why he couldn't just do it to the tens of orcs appearing out of the blue is just that....there were many. If he concentrated on one he would've gotten stabbed by the others.
Dumble is one man in the forum fight he blinds Dumbledore by coating the entire battlefield with pure white light then infuses his wand with white light energy.
Then proceeds to force push him against a wall.

Nice try with comparing his early feat with using it on an army of Orcs though.....not.

Lord Lucien
Ummm that sword belonged to the future King of the Land. So did his boots, are you gonna say they're special too? Unless you mistook Aragorn's sword in Two Towers for Anduril.

And there is nothing to say it can't happen to anything else. You're reaching.Perhaps.

And the reason why he couldn't just do it to the tens of orcs appearing out of the blue is just that....there were many.Now who's reaching?

If he concentrated on one he would've gotten stabbed by the others.What others? Gandalf the White had plenty of opportunities to heat the metal swords, or the wooden towers at Pelennor, or the metal reigns of the creatures pulling Grond, or the anything else that was detrimental to the West's victory. But he didn't. Why? Not that an application of heat is a big deal here. Last time I watched Order of the Pheonix, fire didn't seem to be a problem for Dumbledore.

Dumble is one man in the forum fight he blinds Dumbledore by coating the entire battlefield with pure white light then infuses his wand with white light energy.Because that's what Gandalf always does: he blinded the Uruk-hai at Helm's Deep with the rising Sun, he blinded the battlefield at Pelennor with... what? And he blinded the battlefield at the Black Gate with... what?

Then proceeds to force push him against a wall.

Nice try with comparing his early feat with using it on an army of Orcs though.....not. You're words, not mine. He will "coat the entire battlefield with pure white light". If you wanna attribute abilities and feats to Gandalf so that he can do more than heat up a wand and turn on a flashlight, then you go right ahead.

General_Iroh
I think Gandalf can take this, the movie obscures some of his more powerful attacks but some of them are still there. As pointed out before he has the ability to superheat objects as seen in the film. On top of that he has blinding light, those are both very clearly shown. However he can also summon lightning, he does so when he fights the balrog to super charge it for a killing blow. Now you could argue that he didn't summon the lightning, but he very clearly does so in the book the Hobbit, which leads me to believe he did so in the movie as well. He also has a sort of force field, which is seen in the extended cut of Return of the King when he is able to take a full on giant fireball directly from Saruman, on top of this he can summon fire himself. While this is only shown in the books he states in the movie that he is Saruman which would mean that he has all of saruman's abilities, it's a bit of a stretch but since Saruman can summon fire in the films it should mean that Gandalf can as well. If that's not enough he has the ability of telekinesis in Fellowship when he battles Saruman. So all that said I can definitely see how he could take down dumbledore with all of these powers at his disposal

the ninjak
Originally posted by General_Iroh
I think Gandalf can take this, the movie obscures some of his more powerful attacks but some of them are still there. As pointed out before he has the ability to superheat objects as seen in the film. On top of that he has blinding light, those are both very clearly shown. However he can also summon lightning, he does so when he fights the balrog to super charge it for a killing blow. Now you could argue that he didn't summon the lightning, but he very clearly does so in the book the Hobbit, which leads me to believe he did so in the movie as well. He also has a sort of force field, which is seen in the extended cut of Return of the King when he is able to take a full on giant fireball directly from Saruman, on top of this he can summon fire himself. While this is only shown in the books he states in the movie that he is Saruman which would mean that he has all of saruman's abilities, it's a bit of a stretch but since Saruman can summon fire in the films it should mean that Gandalf can as well. If that's not enough he has the ability of telekinesis in Fellowship when he battles Saruman. So all that said I can definitely see how he could take down dumbledore with all of these powers at his disposal

He is a faith wizard thereby hard to use in a forum fight.
He has feats that although he used in the films doesn't mean he can just spam them over and over and over again.

Lord Lucien I know what you are saying. But I reckon my above statement explains how I fell about this battle.
I can use past feats and spam them.
But I prefer the simple fact that the universe gave Gandalf Grey or White what he needed in the given situation to deal with the threats that emerged to him.
Sometimes he had to simply beat his opponent up....sometimes the universe gave him a thunder bolt or a shield that allowed him to block a giant demon.
In a One on One match between these guys I reckon Gandolf would be given all he needs to not KO or Kill Dumbledore but incapacitate him long enough to create an alliance.
Gandolf is like the Blues Bros.......sure he'll get in trouble or lose battles but he'll still get the job done.

Pwned
Srry man, but, as RJ seems so fond of, Confundus alone would win this for Dumbles, especially as, sadly, Gandalf has never been shown doing magic without his staff on his person......

I wish mr Angel-man could win, but he just doesnt

General_Iroh
Srry man, but, as RJ seems so fond of, Confundus alone would win this for Dumbles, especially as, sadly, Gandalf has never been shown doing magic without his staff on his person......

I wish mr Angel-man could win, but he just doesnt
If it comes down to speed Gandalf probably takes it, he doesn't even have to move to use his spells where Dumbledore on the other hand does. erm

Lord Lucien
If Gandalf could have just been shown to do more than he did (like his video-game counterpart), I'd say he would win most engagements against Dumbledore due to not needing to move or speak spells. But all he has is some form of weird heat ray that he used once, and not on any Orc or Uruk or Nazgul---you know when it mattered---and a flashlight.

That's just not impressive or versatile enough.

General_Iroh
If Gandalf could have just been shown to do more than he did (like his video-game counterpart), I'd say he would win most engagements against Dumbledore due to not needing to move or speak spells. But all he has is some form of weird heat ray that he used once, and not on any Orc or Uruk or Nazgul---you know when it mattered---and a flashlight.

That's just not impressive or versatile enough.
Read my other post slightly above, I listed a few more of his abilities displayed in the film. Or in short here:
-force field like shield that withstood an attack from the Balrog and a fire ball from Saruman
-Summoning lightning without a staff
-Super charging his sword with that lightning
-Though a bit of a stretch you could also say he could use fire
-telekinesis
-blinding light
-super heating objects

He may have done more that I don't remember, but even so he's got quite the arsenal at his disposal.

Nephthys
He didn't summon it. There was already a storm going on (as there was in the Hobbit btw), he just channelled the lightning from that. It isn't something he can use in a vesus fight.

Without this, all he has is his sword and a pretty weaksauce telekinetic push. Not enough to put Dumbledore down.

NemeBro
Dumbledore wins. erm

Lord Lucien
Yup.

the ninjak
Gandalf wins beer

quanchi112
Originally posted by Nephthys
He didn't summon it. There was already a storm going on (as there was in the Hobbit btw), he just channelled the lightning from that. It isn't something he can use in a vesus fight.

Without this, all he has is his sword and a pretty weaksauce telekinetic push. Not enough to put Dumbledore down. Yeah, right. Gandalf can summon and charge his sword and also lol at ignoring him easily warding off attacks by Aragorn, the dwarf, and the elf like they were nothing. Dumbledore gets wrecked. Not in his league.

Nephthys
Well call me Craizee, but I find it just a tad suspicious that the only time he ever 'summoned' lightning was during a lightning storm. I mean, lightning sure would have been useful when they were, say, fighting an army that was 5 times their size and had completely surrounded them. Or against the Nazgul. Or at Minas Tirith. Or against the Witch King. And of these times would have been a great time to bust out a lightning strike. Hell, it would have been fantastic to take out those siege towers at Minas Tirith. But no. Maybe Gandalfs just a lazy ****er. 'Summon lightning?! B-but.....effort! Neeeeeoooooo!'

General_Iroh
It's been quite awhile since I've read the books so I'll just take your word for it, so he can't use lightning, but he must still have the capacity to use magic even without his staff then, seeing as how he was also able to set off the fuses on his fireworks without his staff in hand. And he still has the power that he used on the bridge of Khaza-dum, which allowed him to actually shatter the bridge. If that won't knock Dumbledore on his ass I don't know what will. Really I think Gandalf just has Dumbledore beat all around. The shield of istari will block most of Dumbledore's attacks. And I really think Gandalf could disarm Dumbledore before he could do anything, and unlike Gandalf without his wand Dumbledore is pretty much useless.

quanchi112
Well call me Craizee, but I find it just a tad suspicious that the only time he ever 'summoned' lightning was during a lightning storm. I mean, lightning sure would have been useful when they were, say, fighting an army that was 5 times their size and had completely surrounded them. Or against the Nazgul. Or at Minas Tirith. Or against the Witch King. And of these times would have been a great time to bust out a lightning strike. Hell, it would have been fantastic to take out those siege towers at Minas Tirith. But no. Maybe Gandalfs just a lazy ****er. 'Summon lightning?! B-but.....effort! Neeeeeoooooo!' It's a movie they have to create drama so of course he won't easily just best every little threat that comes his way when he had to he singlehandedly took down the Balrog whereas the others were useless against him.

he isn't going t summon lightning every time and the nazgul were unkillable until the power ring was destroyed.

marwash22
rofl. why did RJ get banned?

Nephthys
It's a movie they have to create drama so of course he won't easily just best every little threat that comes his way when he had to he singlehandedly took down the Balrog whereas the others were useless against him.

he isn't going t summon lightning every time and the nazgul were unkillable until the power ring was destroyed.

Yeah, thats just not good enough. He never 'summons' lightning. The lightning was already there. A la storm.

Lord Lucien
"the nazgul were unkillable until the power ring was destroyed."

Whaa?

General_Iroh
It's a movie they have to create drama so of course he won't easily just best every little threat that comes his way when he had to he singlehandedly took down the Balrog whereas the others were useless against him.

Yeah I'm giving this to Neph. If the only other time he used it was during a storm in the hobbit then it's very likely that he can only summon it during a storm.

Nephthys
Originally posted by marwash22

General douchebaggery if I understand correctly.

Yeah I'm giving this to Neph. If the only other time he used it was during a storm in the hobbit then it's very likely that he can only summon it during a storm.

The whole reason Gandalf used it in the Hobbit was because they got caught by goblins while hiding in a cave from a storm. I used to listen to the audio books like every night (along with harry potter) so I can remember it pretty well.

General_Iroh

Whaa?
lol he missed that little scene with the witch king

Creshosk
the nazgul were unkillable until the power ring was destroyed.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2489/35783.jpg

quanchi112
Yeah, thats just not good enough. He never 'summons' lightning. The lightning was already there. A la storm. I disagree he doesn't usually use a lot of tactics and where's the proof he can't summon a storm ?

quanchi112

Whaa? Damn, I rewatched one and 2 and am about to watch three. In two they mention how they weren't able to be killed. I will comment on this again after I rewatch 3 either today or tomorrow.Originally posted by Creshosk
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2489/35783.jpg Need to rewatch 3 again.

General_Iroh
I disagree he doesn't usually use a lot of tactics and where's the proof he can't summon a storm ?
That's an awful argument man erm

Lord Lucien
We've never seen any proof that Gandalf can't conjure a hurricane whenever he wants, so obviously he can.

quanchi112
That's an awful argument man erm With what we have seen him capable of do you honestly feel like he couldn't ?

I for one don't even think he needs to charge up a sword here all he needs to do is tk away his wand.

General_Iroh
With what we have seen him capable of do you honestly feel like he couldn't ?

I for one don't even think he needs to charge up a sword here all he needs to do is tk away his wand.
I think it's very possible he can on account of Saruman conjuring up a storm and bringing lightning down upon the fellowship. But your argument doesn't prove anything erm and even though he can summon a storm it's not an instant thing, it takes time, Saruman didn't instantly make a storm and start firing lightning at everyone, chances are Gandalf won't have time to summon it.

Robtard
So it's settled, Gandalf wins then. Cool.

quanchi112
I think it's very possible he can on account of Saruman conjuring up a storm and bringing lightning down upon the fellowship. But your argument doesn't prove anything erm and even though he can summon a storm it's not an instant thing, it takes time, Saruman didn't instantly make a storm and start firing lightning at everyone, chances are Gandalf won't have time to summon it. Gandalf doesn't need to summon a storm and I am sure he could start it off while fighting him at the same time anyways.

Quit hanging onto one comment which imo makes perfect sense but either way I am not relying on gandalf using a lightning strike to win this thread anyways.

General_Iroh
Gandalf doesn't need to summon a storm and I am sure he could start it off while fighting him at the same time anyways.

Quit hanging onto one comment which imo makes perfect sense but either way I am not relying on gandalf using a lightning strike to win this thread anyways.
Lol well I agree that Gandalf would win, I've been saying so for quite awhile. If you want me to stop hanging onto the comment then stop asking me questions lol

quanchi112
Lol well I agree that Gandalf would win, I've been saying so for quite awhile. If you want me to stop hanging onto the comment then stop asking me questions lol I just tend to disagree is all but since we agree on the overall winner let's just let it be.

Pwned
Well, there is the matter of range
For one, we dont know exactly how far away Gandalf can be to use his TK, and, while im the biggest LOTR fanboy there is, Gandalf hasnt shown that many things that would let him win

Also, there was no storm mentioned when he summoned lightning, through a mountain no less, into his sword, stored at the pommel for a second, then released through the blade.

However, Gandalf WOULD win, if there was a way he could avoid being confundused (is that even a word?) or avada kedavra'd, and got close enough to use Galmdring, because we know he can channel fire and lightning, and that huge dumbles firestorm from HBP also required him to wave his wand above his head, which Gandalf can stab/bash faster than that

So, Dumbles wins if he uses any common sense and gets cocky, Gandalf wins if he magically survives several spells being shot at him, and doesnt get hit by confundus or one of them other stupid things

Placidity
Originally posted by marwash22

lol, I didn't even notice this. Whats the story? Was it during a HP wankfest or?

Oh and Dumbledore wins. Gandalf would be too distracted by Dumble's wand.

Nephthys
mcuDMoSOOrs

3.25. This is the only time hes does it on-screen. It's not like he conjured the lightning up himself, it clearly comes from the storm.

Yeah, but Dumbledore can apparate away if Gandalf gets too close.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Dumbledore all day.

General_Iroh
Well, there is the matter of range
For one, we dont know exactly how far away Gandalf can be to use his TK, and, while im the biggest LOTR fanboy there is, Gandalf hasnt shown that many things that would let him win

Also, there was no storm mentioned when he summoned lightning, through a mountain no less, into his sword, stored at the pommel for a second, then released through the blade.

However, Gandalf WOULD win, if there was a way he could avoid being confundused (is that even a word?) or avada kedavra'd, and got close enough to use Galmdring, because we know he can channel fire and lightning, and that huge dumbles firestorm from HBP also required him to wave his wand above his head, which Gandalf can stab/bash faster than that

So, Dumbles wins if he uses any common sense and gets cocky, Gandalf wins if he magically survives several spells being shot at him, and doesnt get hit by confundus or one of them other stupid things
I just don't see how Dumbledore is going to break the shield of istari, the things damage soak has to be pretty crazy, it withstood a direct blast from Saruman and a full strength attack from the Balrog of Morgoth, two of the most powerful things in middle earth weren't able to break it and he can bring it up in an instant, almost reflexively.

Pwned
mcuDMoSOOrs K thnx for some reason i thought he did it in Moria, havnt seeen the movies or read the books for a while

Lord Lucien
I just don't see how Dumbledore is going to break the shield of istari, the things damage soak has to be pretty crazy, it withstood a direct blast from Saruman and a full strength attack from the Balrog of Morgoth, two of the most powerful things in middle earth weren't able to break it and he can bring it up in an instant, almost reflexively. Well you're assuming that the Balrog's and Saruman's fire are stronger than than the spells Dumbledore can throw out. Assuming that he can even block them at all (trick statement: it's impossible to know that).

Dumbledore's just got too much of an array of attacks and tricks--and the speed to pull them off--for Gandalf to keep up with. As much as I prefer Gandalf and Ian McKellan over Dumbledore and Michael Gambon, I can't for the life of me imagine a non-handicapped scenario in which Gandalf wins.

General_Iroh
Well I'm assuming here that Dumbledore isn't significantly more powerful than Saruman or the Balrog, which I'd say is fair. And since Gandalf didn't seem in the slightest phased by the most powerful thing that Saruman could dish out (at least quickly) and from what I understand Gandalf unlike Dumbledore doesn't need to aim or even move to cast a spell, that's why I'm favoring him in this fight. Dumbledore might get off the first few shots but if Gandalf can disarm him before any or much damage is done it's game blouses.

TheAuraAngel
Gandalf can disarm him before any or much damage is done it's game blouses.

Expelliarmus!

One word and Gandalf is disarmed.

General_Iroh
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
Expelliarmus!

One word and Gandalf is disarmed.
No word and Dumbledore is disarmed. Difference? Gandalf can still use magic and has an elvish sword at his side.

TheAuraAngel
No word and Dumbledore is disarmed. Difference? Gandalf can still use magic and has an elvish sword at his side.

If Dumbeldore gets a few shots off at first, then that's likely what he'll do. And wandless, wordless magic exists. He does sit a wardrobe on fire very casually.

Nephthys
If I recall, the wardrobe wasn't damaged though. So whether it was real fire is in doubt.

General_Iroh
If Dumbeldore gets a few shots off at first, then that's likely what he'll do. And wandless, wordless magic exists. He does sit a wardrobe on fire very casually.
Oh really? I wasn't aware, what can he actually do without wand in hand? I was under the impression that everyone from potter needed a wand to use magic unless it was because of a potion erm

If I recall, the wardrobe wasn't damaged though. So whether it was real fire is in doubt.
Ah okay

TheAuraAngel

Quirrel could do the same thing in the first movie, so someone even stronger like Dumbledore could do far worse.

Oh really? I wasn't aware, what can he actually do without wand in hand? I was under the impression that everyone from potter needed a wand to use magic unless it was because of a potion erm

Ah okay

A lot of magic is done by lesser powerful wizards like Dumbledore without a wand. Harry Potter blew his aunt up like a balloon and sent her flying. On accident. And he's not even trained.

General_Iroh
Quirrel could do the same thing in the first movie, so someone even stronger like Dumbledore could do far worse.

A lot of magic is done by lesser powerful wizards like Dumbledore without a wand. Harry Potter blew his aunt up like a balloon and sent her flying. On accident. And he's not even trained.
Yet Ron couldn't go without his wand and he was completely useless in the chamber of secrets. So I wonder if they're limited to how much they can do.

TheAuraAngel
Yet Ron couldn't go without his wand and he was completely useless in the chamber of secrets. So I wonder if they're limited to how much they can do.

Ron was a kid. A stupid one at that. They wouldn't teach wandless/wordless magic to a 2nd year. Besides, he'd be worthless in the Chamber regardless.

I just got an image of Dumbledore using Obliviate on Gandalf. I find that image lulzy.

Lord Lucien
Quirrel, Dumbledore, Snape (to an extent), Voldemort, and... I don't remember anyone else... all used magic without a wand in the films. And apparition. I don't subscribe to the school of thought that prohibits every ability unless it was explicitly used onscreen, so I think both Dumbledore and Gandalf can do a fair bit more than they're shown doing. But I feel that Dumbledore's offensive powers are specifically designed to combat another magical being in fast-paced, highly fatal situations. Gandalf's seem comparatively slower-paced.

General_Iroh
Quirrel, Dumbledore, Snape (to an extent), Voldemort, and... I don't remember anyone else... all used magic without a wand in the films. And apparition. I don't subscribe to the school of thought that prohibits every ability unless it was explicitly used onscreen, so I think both Dumbledore and Gandalf can do a fair bit more than they're shown doing. But I feel that Dumbledore's offensive powers are specifically designed to combat another magical being in fast-paced, highly fatal situations. Gandalf's seem comparatively slower-paced.
I dunno Dumbledore might be faster but Gandalf definitely isn't slow, He managed to react and block Gimli's axe and Legolas' arrow very quickly. Though if Dumbledore can still use magic without his wand I would probably give this to him, He'll be able to wear down Gandalf eventually and Gandalf doesn't have everything he was shown with in the books, so I'd probably favor Dumbledore.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Dumbledore all day. Based on ?

Expelliarmus!

One word and Gandalf is disarmed. The difference is Gandalf is still quite formidable without his wand whereas Dumbledore is not. I also dispute it being this easy. I mean why didn't he easily take Voldemort's wand if it's this easy.

Tacitus
Gandalf wins.

In terms of epicness level:
Gandalf WITHOUT magic: Uber-epic
Dumbledore with magic: Alright

If Gandalf utilized more magic, there wouldn't be much of a fight here.

And seriously, you guys are basing this off flashy special effects? You're saying that Dumbledore's magic could beat Gandalf's magic just because of more use of magic by Dumbledore?

Peter Jackson didn't exactly show Gandalf doing too many spells, so take this into consideration, what if he had?

And I don't think Dumble could be a Balrog without much use of magic.

And yes, I know this is the movie versus forum...

exiled1
would they even fight at ALL? Wouldn't their characters be more inclined to materialize chairs, sit back, smoke a pipe, share old stories over toffee-flavored Bertie Botts Beans and hobbiton cakes - but if they were to battle, for whatever high-school rivalry reason, it all depends on whether or not Gandalf can wrest that wand away from dumble then he'd obviously win, him being more adept at hand to hand (plus the sword), but I think, at long range, as the sierra mountains suggest, dumble would win.

Fortitude
Gandalf the White wins. HP spells can be dodged by, well, Harry Potter, who is hardly a champion acrobatic. Even Gandalf the Grey showed extremely impressive feats in his fight against the Balrog, when he hit the lake at terminal velocity and proceeded to fight the Balrog for several days while chasing him up a flight of stairs that extended to the top of a mountain. Gandalf the White can essentially blind people with his brightness, as shown when he appeared, and is immune to medieval weapons (or at least when he's prepared; in the movies it's implied that Merry really did save him) and has impressive TK. His reaction times are faster than Dumbledore, so he'd just TK restrain Dumbledore and stab him with Glamdring.

Pwned
Guys, get it in your heads. Dumbledore wins simply due to the fact of range+speed.

Think of Dumbles spells as bullets, they are faster, longer ranged, and hit harder than Gandalfs (last can be debated) but the fact of the matter is, a LOTR fanboy is saying the LOTR character loses, and on based fact. This is the MOVIE versus forum. I wish we could use Olorin, but we are stuck with Gandalf. So, Dumbles wins due to
A) Speed and range
B) Variety of spells. Cant be stressed enough for that.
C) More shielding magic than Gandalf.
D) Trained to fight wizard duels to the death (HE GOT SNAPED!)

Gandalf has one thing on Dumbles

Dumbles: DEATH MAKES HIM DIE!

Lord Lucien
This should answer everything:

ZIMoQHpvFQQ

ares834
Dang. Those are usually close but Gandalf just handed Dumebledore his ***. This won it for him, "Your as* is like Gringgots everyone makes a deposit." laughing out loud

Lord Lucien
The only other Epic Rap Battle that had a clear winner was Justin Bieber vs. Beethoven.

Robtard
Guys, get it in your heads. Dumbledore wins simply due to the fact of range+speed.

Think of Dumbles spells as bullets, they are faster, longer ranged, and hit harder than Gandalfs (last can be debated) but the fact of the matter is, a LOTR fanboy is saying the LOTR character loses, and on based fact. This is the MOVIE versus forum. I wish we could use Olorin, but we are stuck with Gandalf. So, Dumbles wins due to
A) Speed and range
B) Variety of spells. Cant be stressed enough for that.
C) More shielding magic than Gandalf.
D) Trained to fight wizard duels to the death (HE GOT SNAPED!)

Gandalf has one thing on Dumbles

Dumbles: DEATH MAKES HIM DIE!
I don't appreciate yet another Harry Potter fanboy using the 'Oh, I love LOTR, but Dumbledore is just too super" tactic.

Just be open that you've got Harry's ass-ring around your neck and your head is firmly lodged in Rowlingery.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.