Asgard vs. Olympus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kbclassof09
Which marvel pantheon of gods would prove superior in an all out battle? Both pantheons are toned down to their mythical power levels... Here are the matches

Zeus vs. Thor

Hercules vs. Magni

Baldur vs. Apollo

Tyr vs. Ares

Hoder vs. Hephaestus

Odin vs. Cronus

Typhon vs. Midgard Serpent

Sif vs. Athena

WhiteWitchKing
Zeus vs. Thor - Zeus

Hercules vs. Magni - Hercules

Baldur vs. Apollo - Apollo

Tyr vs. Ares - Ares

Hoder vs. Hephaestus - Hephaestus

Odin vs. Cronus - Odin

Typhon vs. Midgard Serpent - Midgard Serpent

Sif vs. Athena - Athena

TheLordofMurder
@WWK

I dont think Odin beats Cronus; it took the combined might of Zeus, Posiden, and Pluto to defeat Cronus...

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
@WWK

I dont think Odin beats Cronus; it took the combined might of Zeus, Posiden, and Pluto to defeat Cronus...

It took Odin, Vili, and Ve to defeat Surtur. His brothers sacrifice themselves leaving only their powers to Odin - the Odinforce. So yeah, Odin should be able to beat Cronus.

TheLordofMurder
Didnt the OP say both pantheons were toned down to mythic levels?

In which case Odin is just Odin and not the Odin/Vili/Ve hybrid...

Colossus-Big C
odin with out the vili, ve powers should be about hades and poseiden level.

so it seems Zeus>> odin and his brothers
untill they decided to join power and creat the odin force

if thats correct then zeus can become more powerful than odin by fusing with hades and poseiden

DarkOdin
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C

if thats correct then zeus can become more powerful than odin by fusing with hades and poseiden umm Zeus never combined with anyone this is the myth not the comics and in myths Odin had enough power to created the nine world i beleieve which should be above zeus's myth feats anyway

kbclassof09
Originally posted by DarkOdin
umm Zeus never combined with anyone this is the myth not the comics and in myths Odin had enough power to created the nine world i beleieve which should be above zeus's myth feats anyway

Odin only created midgard (earth) using the dead body of the frost giant Ymir, and Zeus is much stronger than Odin.

DarkOdin
Originally posted by kbclassof09
Odin only created midgard (earth) using the dead body of the frost giant Ymir, and Zeus is much stronger than Odin. Yiour correct on the earth. However does Zeus have anything on Odin in terms of magic. Creating the world as far as i know is bigger then anything Zeus has don't??? Physical strength i don't think either have many feats in the myth??? The thing that puts the Greek gods over the norse is they don't age but thats about it

ExodusCloak
The Olympians generally have a lot of extra powers in comparison to the Asgardians. What's been alluded to what Apollo can do for example is absolute madness.

And if Chaos War turns out the way I think it will, then Athena is the ultimate trickster God.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Zeus vs. Thor - Zeus on average.

Hercules vs. Magni - Does Magni have Mjolnir? I'd wager his probably as strong as Thor or Hercules but he simply isn't established enough to win.

Balder vs. Apollo.

Tyr vs. Ares - Ares.

Hoder vs. Hephaestus - Not sure. I'd have said Hephaestus but Pak's recent take on him had him portrayed as a weak and invalid old man, which is much different from the condition we saw him in the past.

Odin vs. Cronus - Odin.

Typhon vs. Midgard Serpent - The Serpent.

Sif vs. Athena - Athena if she possesses Zeus' lightning bolt. Sif might still be able to win through battle field removal however.

Originally posted by ExodusCloak
The Olympians generally have a lot of extra powers in comparison to the Asgardians.

Unfortunately this is true. When Kirby and Lee were on the title, they had each Asgardian with their one powers -at least the named ones- which was forgotten about. Most people don't realize that Sif has the ability to warp space with her sword or through her one making battle field removal a very easy tactic for her, or that Heimdall's powers. I think it's mostly because Asgardians are just secondary characters to Thor. Every time an Asgardian would have a chance to demonstrate a new power, Thor does instead etc.

We saw Simonson try bringing this back by really exploring Balder but this was forgotten when he left. Gillen showed some glimmer of this with the bullet redirecting feat from Balder, and having Tyr manifest his Godly Essence through his arm etc.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
What's been alluded to what Apollo can do for example is absolute madness.

. when writer stated he has enough power to blow the world up?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4783/1489067-arielolivetti_3.jpg

DarkOdin
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Zeus vs. Thor - Zeus on average.

Hercules vs. Magni - Does Magni have Mjolnir? I'd wager his probably as strong as Thor or Hercules but he simply isn't established enough to win.

Balder vs. Apollo.

Tyr vs. Ares - Ares.

Hoder vs. Hephaestus - Not sure. I'd have said Hephaestus but Pak's recent take on him had him portrayed as a weak and invalid old man, which is much different from the condition we saw him in the past.

Odin vs. Cronus - Odin.

Typhon vs. Midgard Serpent - The Serpent.

Sif vs. Athena - Athena if she possesses Zeus' lightning bolt. Sif might still be able to win through battle field removal however.

Unfortunately this is true. When Kirby and Lee were on the title, they had each Asgardian with their one powers -at least the named ones- which was forgotten about. Most people don't realize that Sif has the ability to warp space with her sword or through her one making battle field removal a very easy tactic for her, or that Heimdall's powers. I think it's mostly because Asgardians are just secondary characters to Thor. Every time an Asgardian would have a chance to demonstrate a new power, Thor does instead etc.

We saw Simonson try bringing this back by really exploring Balder but this was forgotten when he left. Gillen showed some glimmer of this with the bullet redirecting feat from Balder, and having Tyr manifest his Godly Essence through his arm etc.

Rage the OP states that this is the myths version of these character not the comics Then again i don't think Mangi was every in myths since marvel made him

Rage.Of.Olympus

if thats correct then zeus can become more powerful than odin by fusing with hades and poseiden

Don't get wet just yet.

That was just Simonson's take in order to retcon Thomas' bull. Besides, the Odin that we see on a regular basis -the one Zeus' always compared to- and the pre merging Odin seemed to be the on the same level. However, he could assume a giant sized form which was the legendary warrior that allowed Odin to attain the full power created from the merge. That's what I recall from the Tiwaz' recollection. I'm only not 100% certain on the first part.

Full powered Odin > Odin =/> Zeus is how I'd rank them.

Colossus-Big C
typhon( although depowerd) is still no push over

he beat up namor, iron man, she hulk, hercules, and ares, beast and a few others all at the same time

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/5586/865567-ty6.jpg
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/5586/865565-ty4.jpg

Rage.Of.Olympus
Rage the OP states that this is the myths version of these character not the comics Then again i don't think Mangi was every in myths since marvel made him

Myth versions? Then I don't have any interest in this thread.

Colossus-Big C
i think balder would of been better against ares
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/59489/1116848-siege_2_first_look_20100108011036142.jpg

also

Hephaestus has gone toe to toe with thor before

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/229/94945-130312-hephaestus.jpg

Rage.Of.Olympus
Based on their brief skirmish, I'd say the two are peers. I don't think Balder is a superior warrior to Tyr however, whose done pretty decently against Thor in the past. Like I said, above, it's probably a split. Bendis and co. seems to place most of the named gods in the same range of power. Throwing in his godly essence might tip the scales in his favor even.

Context = Important

Hephaestus stalemated (Might have even gotten the edge) after jumping the Hela brittle bones stage Thor. The author emphazised the constant agony Thor was in and his degraded state.

ExodusCloak
when writer stated he has enough power to blow the world up?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4783/1489067-arielolivetti_3.jpg

Did he not say something along the lines of dropping the Sun on the Earth?

Edit...Nah he said...if he unleashed his full power the Sun's flames would consume the Earth.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Tyr vs. Ares - Ares.

erm

kbclassof09
Yiour correct on the earth. However does Zeus have anything on Odin in terms of magic. Creating the world as far as i know is bigger then anything Zeus has don't??? Physical strength i don't think either have many feats in the myth??? The thing that puts the Greek gods over the norse is they don't age but thats about it

Actually there are many of strength feats in greek mythology...

Zeus threw Mount Etna on the giant Typhon
Athena threw the island of sicily on top of a giant in the war of the gods/giants.
Ares lifted mount pangaeus and threatened to throw it in the river of peneus. He could also cause city/mountain range shaking earthquakes by banging his spear into his shield.
Poseidon threw the island of Nisyros on top of a giant in the war of the gods/giants. And there are many more strength feats in the myth.

Norse gods, however, are weak. All of them combined couldn't lift the leg of a giant off the neck of Thor, and Magni was the only one who could do it. The only norse gods with the physical strength to battle the greek gods is Thor and Magni, and Magni was already stronger than Thor even as an infant.

DarkOdin
Actually there are many of strength feats in greek mythology...

Zeus threw Mount Etna on the giant Typhon
Athena threw the island of sicily on top of a giant in the war of the gods/giants.
Ares lifted mount pangaeus and threatened to throw it in the river of peneus. He could also cause city/mountain range shaking earthquakes by banging his spear into his shield.
Poseidon threw the island of Nisyros on top of a giant in the war of the gods/giants. And there are many more strength feats in the myth.

Norse gods, however, are weak. All of them combined couldn't lift the leg of a giant off the neck of Thor, and Magni was the only one who could do it. The only norse gods with the physical strength to battle the greek gods is Thor and Magni, and Magni was already stronger than Thor even as an infant. At the same token Thor lifted at one point what he thought was a giant come of ale when it turned out to be the ocean that feat alone tops any of the one you just listed and if magni is even stronger good for him. I thought think the norse are as weak as you say or to make out granted it has been a long time since i read up on them. But battle the giant Ymir one would need to have great strnegth just from the size of him. The Norse myths are just alot harder to research such the greek are much much more popullar. but iam sure i could dig up some others

kbclassof09
At the same token Thor lifted at one point what he thought was a giant come of ale when it turned out to be the ocean that feat alone tops any of the one you just listed and if magni is even stronger good for him. I thought think the norse are as weak as you say or to make out granted it has been a long time since i read up on them. But battle the giant Ymir one would need to have great strnegth just from the size of him. The Norse myths are just alot harder to research such the greek are much much more popullar. but iam sure i could dig up some others

Thor did not lift an ocean. He went to the land of the giants to engage in some feats of prowess... One of his challenges was to drink more ale than his challenger, but his drinking horn was really connected to the ocean, and he severely lowered the water level of the ocean.

basilisk
Thor did not lift an ocean. He went to the land of the giants to engage in some feats of prowess... One of his challenges was to drink more ale than his challenger, but his drinking horn was really connected to the ocean, and he severely lowered the water level of the ocean. Yeah how dumb is Thor to fall for that old trick? "Hmm this ale doth begin to appear as water and to taste extremely salty... glug glug glug... indeed 'tis nothing like ale at all... glug glug glug... Odin's blood my giant opponent still goes at it - I must continue to drink copiously of this foul draft or forfeit... glug glug glug...". Drinking that much seawater would cause dehydration, bloating, kidney failure, and unconsciousness.

kbclassof09
Ok time to make this thread more interesting....

The greatest feat of strength in Greek mythology was Heracles and Atlas holding the weight of the sky. All of the air in Earth's sky weighs nearly 6 quadrillion tons. That is a weight equivalent to a billion great pyramids!!

The greatest feat of strength in Norse mythology was Thor lifting the head and tail of the Midgard serpent. A few members from different forums calculated the weight of the serpent and it ended up to be million or billions of tons. That is very wrong. Here I will give the most accurate calculation of the midgard serpent's weight. First I will use the dimensions of an average anaconda. The average anaconda is 20 feet long by 1 feet wide and weighs 330 pounds. The length of the serpent is equal to the circumference of the earth which is 25,000 miles. 1 mile= 5280 feet. 25000 miles multiplied by 5280 feet equals 132,000,000 feet.
132,000,000 feet/20 feet= 6,600,000. So that means that the length of the anaconda have to increase 6,600,000 times in order to match the circumference of the earth, and weight is proportional to length cubed. So that would be 6600000x6600000x6600000x330 lb=94873680000000000000000 lbs/2000= 47,436,840,000,000,000,000 tons or over 47 quintillion tons!!! That is more than half the weight of the moon!! But thor only lifted the head and tail of the midgard serpent instead of its entire weight.

DarkOdin
Ok time to make this thread more interesting....

The greatest feat of strength in Greek mythology was Heracles and Atlas holding the weight of the sky. All of the air in Earth's sky weighs nearly 6 quadrillion tons. That is a weight equivalent to a billion great pyramids!!

The greatest feat of strength in Norse mythology was Thor lifting the head and tail of the Midgard serpent. A few members from different forums calculated the weight of the serpent and it ended up to be million or billions of tons. That is very wrong. Here I will give the most accurate calculation of the midgard serpent's weight. First I will use the dimensions of an average anaconda. The average anaconda is 20 feet long by 1 feet wide and weighs 330 pounds. The length of the serpent is equal to the circumference of the earth which is 25,000 miles. 1 mile= 5280 feet. 25000 miles multiplied by 5280 feet equals 132,000,000 feet.
132,000,000 feet/20 feet= 6,600,000. So that means that the length of the anaconda have to increase 6,600,000 times in order to match the circumference of the earth, and weight is proportional to length cubed. So that would be 6600000x6600000x6600000x330 lb=94873680000000000000000 lbs/2000= 47,436,840,000,000,000,000 tons or over 47 quintillion tons!!! That is more than half the weight of the moon!! But thor only lifted the head and tail of the midgard serpent instead of its entire weight. Are we talking about the myth or the comics in this one???

DarkOdin
Thor did not lift an ocean. He went to the land of the giants to engage in some feats of prowess... One of his challenges was to drink more ale than his challenger, but his drinking horn was really connected to the ocean, and he severely lowered the water level of the ocean. One end of the horn was connet to the sea He had to lift it upside down in order to drink it.

kbclassof09
Are we talking about the myth or the comics in this one???

Both pantheons are at their mythic power levels

kbclassof09
One end of the horn was connet to the sea He had to lift it upside down in order to drink it. [/QUOTE

It was a magical illusion the bottom end of the drinking horn was connected to the ocean itself. Thor did not lift an ocean.

DarkOdin
One end of the horn was connet to the sea He had to lift it upside down in order to drink it. DEpending on which of the 90 different version of the myth Thor lifted the horn to drink then put it back down and caught his breath and did it again. However it was clear that one end of the Horn was atached to the ocean how it is not clear. The same when Thor lifted the serphant in the same story he only lifted a paw of a cat. Thor was lifted something with the horn and the cat he just didn't see what exactily was going on

kbclassof09
DEpending on which of the 90 different version of the myth Thor lifted the horn to drink then put it back down and caught his breath and did it again. However it was clear that one end of the Horn was atached to the ocean how it is not clear. The same when Thor lifted the serphant in the same story he only lifted a paw of a cat. Thor was lifted something with the horn and the cat he just didn't see what exactily was going on

It appeared to be a normal but rather long drinking horn to Thor. The drinking horn did not contain the ocean. Its just that Thor could never finish the drinking horn because the endless supply of water from the ocean always kept it full.

DarkOdin
It appeared to be a normal but rather long drinking horn to Thor. The drinking horn did not contain the ocean. Its just that Thor could never finish the drinking horn because the endless supply of water from the ocean always kept it full. We can't tell that from the myths. It was clear he picked it up and in some stories it was directily conneted to the sea in others it was magiclly refilled. Too many version of a story that changes through time and translation. your look to one version i look to another. There is no right or wrong just many different version. The Norse myths are hard researchedcompared to the greeks b/c of the lack of written records compared to the greeks and romans and lack of general interest.

keiththegreat
When Zeus fought Thor for months, Zeus said Thor was more impressive than when Zeus fought all the other Olympians COMBINED. Also, Zeus has no galaxy-busting feats like Odin does.

But I don't know enough about the mythology powers to know the answer for sure. Normal comic versions, Asgard would stomp this.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by keiththegreat
When Zeus fought Thor for months, Zeus said Thor was more impressive than when Zeus fought all the other Olympians COMBINED.
no true though, many olympions have gone toe toe with thor and gave him a run for his money.

(zeus recently one shotted thor)

also in comic version asgard wouldnt "stomp" it already happend and it was a stalemate so its that.

keiththegreat
no true though, many olympions have gone toe toe with thor and gave him a run for his money

I'm just saying what Zeus said. But I also remember Thor beating Ares and Hades at once.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by keiththegreat
I'm just saying what Zeus said. But I also remember Thor beating Ares and Hades at once. hades is inconsistant, at his high levels he one shotted dr strange(sourceror supreme) and knocked out hulk
he even one shotted Hela at one point the time he went to asgard to kill odin

kbclassof09
We can't tell that from the myths. It was clear he picked it up and in some stories it was directily conneted to the sea in others it was magiclly refilled. Too many version of a story that changes through time and translation. your look to one version i look to another. There is no right or wrong just many different version. The Norse myths are hard researchedcompared to the greeks b/c of the lack of written records compared to the greeks and romans and lack of general interest.

Dude its only one version of that myth and it says that one end of the drinkin horn was connected to the ocean/sea. The drinking horn did not contain I REPEAT did not contain the ocean. I rest my case.

DarkOdin
Dude its only one version of that myth and it says that one end of the drinkin horn was connected to the ocean/sea. The drinking horn did not contain I REPEAT did not contain the ocean. I rest my case. There is not only 1 version of the myth every book that writes from a book on norse greek etc, have their own version and on top of that then people view and write the books in different manners for what they think it should be. It that simple.

THe horn doesn't cotain the ocean it was conneted to it on one end as the myths goes therefore if he lifted the horn he lifted the ocean. The cup didn't get refilledeverytime he put it down. it was a constant flow through the horn from the ocean to Thor.

kbclassof09
There is not only 1 version of the myth every book that writes from a book on norse greek etc, have their own version and on top of that then people view and write the books in different manners for what they think it should be. It that simple.

THe horn doesn't cotain the ocean it was conneted to it on one end as the myths goes therefore if he lifted the horn he lifted the ocean. The cup didn't get refilledeverytime he put it down. it was a constant flow through the horn from the ocean to Thor.

Whatever Im done explaining this to you

WhiteWitchKing
Maybe you two should cite your own sources on this and compare how valid each source is.

ankur29
olympus ftw

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.