Do you believe in magic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jynocidus
I couldn't think of a better name for this thread. At the same time...I don't see a comic book discussion forum so I put it here. Anyway...

Lately, I've been coming to KMC browsing in addition to playing video games off and on. I see a lot of people talk about characters powers and stuff. And I was starting to really try and define the aspect of 'magic.' I use quotes because in my eye...even in fictional writing/graphic novels magic doesn't theoretically exist. Even terms like 'Superman is susceptible to magic' aren't really registering anymore.

For example...like, you can define technology. You can define...'cosmic force?' But yet, 'magic' is....what?

Mindship
Originally posted by Jynocidus
'magic' is....
... overly wishful thinking lingering from childhood.
... the ultimate comic book plot device.
... masterful illusions.
... what one doesn't need to find the...

comic book discussion forum http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/

Or, you could've just scrolled down the Home page. cool

Jynocidus
lol sorry. I won't even lie, I got the comic book vs thread in my bookmarks. Thanks, though.

The Dark Cloud
No

ADarksideJedi
No I don't believe in magic.

Parmaniac
Of course I do, God made it...

King Kandy
If we could prove magic existed, it wouldn't be magic anymore; it would just be a newly discovered force in physics, that would be succeptable to the same fact based analysis as everything else.

Lord Lucien
... in a young girl's heart. How the music can free her whenever it starts. And it's magic, when the music is groovy. It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie. I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul. But it's like trying to tell a stranger about Rock 'N Roll.

MadBrok
thing is, eventually we will be able to manipulate substances and even teleport them with enough research with astounding results. We could manipulate lightning if we spent billions figuring out how to alter electron movement and action in our hand cells, and then it would be the exact magic people have fawned over for thousands of years. E.g Old English people from the middle ages would have thought television was magic, but we simply see it as a use of electricity.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by MadBrok
thing is, eventually we will be able to manipulate substances

Eventually?

and even teleport them

For some very limited definitions of teleport.

We could manipulate lightning if we spent billions figuring out how to alter electron movement and action in our hand cells

laughing out loud

Lord Lucien
thing is, eventually we will be able to manipulate substances and even teleport them with enough research with astounding results. We could manipulate lightning if we spent billions figuring out how to alter electron movement and action in our hand cells, and then it would be the exact magic people have fawned over for thousands of years. E.g Old English people from the middle ages would have thought television was magic, but we simply see it as a use of electricity. Eventually we'll be able to do anything at all. Because wanting to do it makes it all possible! We just have to want it enough.

jinXed by JaNx
yes i believe in magic. I also believe in unicorns and three headed giraffes that shoot lasers from their eyes.

leonheartmm
probably not, although, part of me would like to.

Dave_97
i believe in magic.

some people believe in jesus, i believe in magic.
i also believe in aliens.
the universe is vast, and on the grand scale of things humans don't know **** all.

we're small, and easy to kill (just ask sharks) and people honestly believe they've got everything worked out?
given that we've barely left our planet, im not too worried about my beliefs being wrong.

Bicnarok

Deja~vu
People who believe in prayers are essentially believing in magic, it's just called by another name. However, maybe there are natural forces of nature and laws put in place that can cause these things to happen or not to happen. If that is the case, then it really isn't magic at all.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Deja~vu
People who believe in prayers are essentially believing in magic, it's just called by another name. However, maybe there are natural forces of nature and laws put in place that can cause these things to happen or not to happen. If that is the case, then it really isn't magic at all.

But if prayers somehow power up our energetic self in someway to change a situation, is that magic?

This is of course if we are all linked together in an energetic field.

Pandemoniac
If magic, the real deal, is a true and mallable force, would it not be publicly known by now?

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Bicnarok
But if prayers somehow power up our energetic self in someway to change a situation, is that magic?

This is of course if we are all linked together in an energetic field. Maybe things are connected like this? The Noetic Foundation was formed by former Astronaut Edgar Mitchell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kis5yMn1Azc&feature=related

Stoic
If a person can believe in karma, then they can certainly believe in magic. Prayer is certainly magical in essence, and it is certainly powered by faith. Just as I could pray to Christ for favor, someone else could also pray to an enemy of Gods doctrine, and it would, or could come true. Not always, and thus it is not a fine science. Those who pray to Christ, or a fallen angel aren't always going to get what they want, and according to many texts, there is a price to mete out for the latter. The Bible states that God will not be a debtor to any person (man). In other words no spirit is at any one persons beck or call. Unclean spirits have been written to place an exacting toll on the recipient of their miracles. I guess the saying "be careful for what you wish for" applies here. Believing or not, does not mean that magic does not exist, but then again, it doesn't mean that it does either.

alexdisuja25
of course yes.. m believe in magic!!@ & I am watching lat!

Eon Blue
Silliness.

/thread

AsbestosFlaygon
_-agl0pOQfs

georgebaker
yes............i believe in magic...

Kosmic King
It's possible. I don't know though. I neither deny its exstance or say it does exist as a fact.

Mr_Sticky_belly
Originally posted by Jynocidus
Do you believe in Magic

Good happy pop tune by the Loving Spoonfull

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.