top 100 science stories

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
some remarkable achievemments this past year. which is most impressive to you? i like #76 and #2 among my faves.

http://discovermagazine.com/photos/100-top-science-stories-of-2010

ADarksideJedi
Very interesting.

inimalist
Favs:

82. Scientists Tap the Wisdom of Crowds: Whether you want to establish the structure of proteins or survey galaxies, there's a way to help science.

81. Melting Ice Exposes Ancient Artifacts: The retreat of glaciers around the world pays an unexpected archaeological dividend.

80. Magnets Can Change Your Moral Values: Stimulating subjects' brains with a magnetic field yields some surprising judgment calls

78. Good Listeners Get Inside Your Head: How the fMRI brain scans of listeners and storytellers match up.

75. Social Life Begins in the Womb: Ultrasound monitoring suggests that twins in utero interact with each other.

62. Glia: Your Under-Appreciated Brain Cells. They were once considered merely neural scaffolding, but not anymore

56. Plastic Antibodies Cure Infected Mice: Can artificial antibodies fight real diseases?

37. CIA Doctors Did Forbidden Research: A report states that doctors went too far with prisoners after the 9/11 attacks

21. MRI Scans Track Brain Development: In six minutes, a scan can reveal if a child's brain is developing normally

16. Google Whacked by Hack Attack: All signs point to China as the source of a malicious hack

9. The World's First Cyberweapon: The Stuxnet worm is the first cyberweapon to cause damage in the physical world--and Iran's nuclear facilities may have been its target.

not to just crap all over this list, but a lot of the psych/neuroscience was cool, but not exactly a "new" discovery as it was portrayed. Many of the interesting finding were really just building on some other, well established, "weirdness", especially ones like the "memory/emotion" split.

dadudemon
It seems like a trick to get you to buy their magazine! mad

They hook you in with a cool sounding headline, you click the article...and then they only post a brief intro to it.

Oh well.

I saw lots of interesting stuff, not sure which ones I want to single out.

leonidas
Originally posted by dadudemon
It seems like a trick to get you to buy their magazine! mad

They hook you in with a cool sounding headline, you click the article...and then they only post a brief intro to it.

Oh well.

I saw lots of interesting stuff, not sure which ones I want to single out.

the full articles were in the mag when the 'discovery' was first made. these are more like synopses. i'm sire the full articles are all in the online archives somewhere.

dadudemon
Originally posted by leonidas
the full articles were in the mag when the 'discovery' was first made. these are more like synopses. i'm sire the full articles are all in the online archives somewhere.

You have to purchase to see the full articles.

Symmetric Chaos

Or go to your local library, where many fine publications are available to read free of charge!

leonidas

i've read all the articles online.... and i don't have a subscription. maybe to get into the archives you need to subscribe. meh. just meant as a recap and topic of discussion anyway.

leonidas
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Or go to your local library, where many fine publications are available to read free of charge!

what? free of charge? does the guvment know about this??

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

I've never seen discover, people, cosmo, etc. at a library before. I've seen oooold issues of time, however, but nothing recent.

Originally posted by leonidas
i've read all the articles online.... and i don't have a subscription. maybe to get into the archives you need to subscribe. meh. just meant as a recap and topic of discussion anyway.

I'm not criticizing you, dude. I just thought it was lamerz that I couldn't read the whole articles for their list. I'm one of those ones that would rather sit through a 30 second commercial so I can read an article than I would to have to pay $30 just to read one article. (Similar to a la carte, but it's more like "fee for service" with the supplier getting their fee from advertizers on each time the service that is used.)

leonidas
no worries. i wasn't offended. just saying that i'd read the articles at some point during the year. lots of mags (including nat geo and the atlantic among others) give full articles online without subscriptions. not sure why, but..... i'm glad they do. smile any like i sid, just meant for discussion.

hopefully next year will have even more and more important discoveries.

Mindship
Favorites...

83. Mammoth Star Is the Biggest One Ever Seen.
80. Magnets Can Change Your Moral Values.
66. Synthetic Lung Takes a Breath.
63. Ghost Particles Shakes Physics.
56. Plastic Antibodies Cure Infected Mice.
47. An Early Dawn for Earth's Complex Life.
46. Do Physical Laws Vary From Place to Place?
23. Comets Are Interstellar Visitors.

GCG
You don't need to buy the mag. Just use google.

Very interesting site.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.