Good suggestions?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kaibs
Hey all.. I sort of want to get into a new anime to watch... not a new manga or anything, as I don't have a lot of time to follow a lot of them. I read Bleach and that's about it. So what are some great Anime's in your opinion to watch? The only current one I watch is Bleach. Ones I like(d) are Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball, DBZ, Inyuasha (manga too), Outlaw Star.

So any good suggestions would be appreciated. Stuff with a messed up villain is always good too.

Nephthys
There are good ones on this list. I personally trust the reviewers advice and taste, so I recommend her choices. Part 1.

Part 2!.

One thats not on her list is Monster. You want a villian? Monster has the best goddamn villian ever.

chilled monkey
Some of my favourites:-

Corrector Yui
Princess Resurrection
Kannazuki no Miko
Ghost Stories
Yes! Precure 5

Q99
Originally posted by chilled monkey

Princess Resurrection

I rather like that one too.

Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars are some of my favorite series. A lot of it is exploring the culture of the Abh (the main civilization of the setting), but it also has some of the best space conflict in SF (in the sense of ships and fleets fighting with tactics and such, as opposed to giant robots smile ).

Melancholy of Haruhi is really fun. It's about a girl who's obsessed with finding aliens, ESP, etc., who's secretly god but doesn't know it, and who's surrounded by people who are secretly aliens, Espers, etc., and if she finds out they are, the universe gets destroy. Great stuff ^^

Nephthys
I think he said good suggestions Q99, not really good concept with really cool characters but absolute bullshit execution and alot of boring filler with minimal payoffs. Haruhi as a series is so laem.

Q99
Originally posted by Nephthys
I think he said good suggestions Q99, not really good concept with really cool characters but absolute bullshit execution and alot of boring filler with minimal payoffs. Haruhi as a series is so laem.

I loved the execution personally; there's a lot of subtlety there in character moments and motives that often has payoffs later on. The development of characters can be tracked episode to episode.

Though admittedly, if by "boring filler" you're referring to "Endless Eight," it's hard to argue with that ^^

NemeBro
I can't ****ing stand Haruhi...

Do you just want anime, or is manga alright? If so, Vinland Saga is one of my favorite current mangas out right now.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Q99
Though admittedly, if by "boring filler" you're referring to "Endless Eight," it's hard to argue with that ^^
thumb up

Endless Eight is an ugly blotch on an otherwise awesome series.

I have a feeling Haruhi isn't what he is looking for either way though. There's not really any conflict of the sort he appears interested in.

Kaibs
Originally posted by NemeBro
I can't ****ing stand Haruhi...

Do you just want anime, or is manga alright? If so, Vinland Saga is one of my favorite current mangas out right now.

If the manga is amazing I'll be willing to check it out, but anime works too.

Kaibs
There are good ones on this list. I personally trust the reviewers advice and taste, so I recommend her choices. Part 1.

Part 2!.

One thats not on her list is Monster. You want a villian? Monster has the best goddamn villian ever.

Nice man, I'll check the list out.

And thanks to everyone else who's givin suggestions so far.

King Kandy
Fist of the North Star, maybe. Its not for everyone but it's definitely better than DBZ in the same kind of genre.

psycho gundam
< it's all in the name flirt

wakkawakkawakka
Um....Ninja Scroll and Claymore if you already haven't checked those out.

Oh...and the Shaman King manga series is pretty cool. I guess I could throw Berserk in their too I suppose.

Q99
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Um....Ninja Scroll and Claymore if you already haven't checked those out.

Yea, Claymore is very good until the end, where it deviates from the manga to wrap things up.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Q99
Yea, Claymore is very good until the end, where it deviates from the manga to wrap things up.

Nothing wrong with that neccessarily. Mahou Sensei Negima did the same thing and it had an awesome final arc.

wakkawakkawakka
To be honest I kind of liked that end fight in Claymore: it wasn't horrible. Its just that they ended it when there was still canon material they could use.

For example FMA and Hellsing strayed from their respective managa series when they were first animated and they got awards.

NemeBro
Originally posted by King Kandy
Fist of the North Star, maybe. Its not for everyone but it's definitely better than DBZ in the same kind of genre. To be honest, I find Fist of the North Star highly overrated.

King Kandy
Nothing wrong with that neccessarily. Mahou Sensei Negima did the same thing and it had an awesome final arc.
The anime ending to Negima was the very opposite of awesome.

Originally posted by NemeBro
To be honest, I find Fist of the North Star highly overrated.
It hasn't aged well. But, IMO, neither has DBZ.

Q99
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
To be honest I kind of liked that end fight in Claymore: it wasn't horrible. Its just that they ended it when there was still canon material they could use.

For example FMA and Hellsing strayed from their respective managa series when they were first animated and they got awards.

FMA and Hellsing's new endings were IMO done better, in part because the anime crew starting diverging sooner, I think.

The first FMA anime especially is "how to divert from the manga done right" more than any other anime I know. It even has some advantages over the manga/brotherhood version (more time spent on some characters, and some early bits. It's version of the Homonculi, especially Lust, Wrath, and Sloth, were IMO very good), putting one in the odd position of both getting hearty recommendations from me.

King Kandy
I still think the way the story developed in FMA manga was way better. And it had characters of its own that got more focus (Xingese characters, Bradley, Kimblee, Hohenheim).

Nephthys
Really? Cuz' Hellsing sucked as far as I remember. Hellsing Ultimate all the way.

Esomark
The Dominion Tank Police OVA's are a good watch, especially if you have friends with you.

Q99
I still think the way the story developed in FMA manga was way better. And it had characters of its own that got more focus (Xingese characters, Bradley, Kimblee, Hohenheim).

The manga was definitely more epic, but I liked the first anime's approach with the homonculi's more personal motives too.

They both have positive parts.

Really? Cuz' Hellsing sucked as far as I remember. Hellsing Ultimate all the way.

Better than Claymore's at least, IMO. Though unlike FMA, it doesn't hold a candle to the manga/second anime's.

chilled monkey
The anime ending to Negima was the very opposite of awesome.

Have you seen it?

The ending was amazing. Not only was there some incredible action with Negi and 2-A vs. a demon army, but it was very emotional too, with everyone banding together to save one of their own, Asuna learning she didn't have to carry her burden alone because she had people there for her etc.

Yes, it was awesome.

King Kandy
Have you seen it?

The ending was amazing. Not only was there some incredible action with Negi and 2-A vs. a demon army, but it was very emotional too, with everyone banding together to save one of their own, Asuna learning she didn't have to carry her burden alone because she had people there for her etc.

Yes, it was awesome.
Those demons were a joke. I don't consider it "incredible action" when every enemy goes down in one hit while doing no damage whatsoever. That's a one-sided farce, not a battle.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.