Top 15 News Stories of 2010

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

inimalist
Influence Communication tracks millions of news stories and ranks them in terms of how often they are reported on.

For 2010:

15 - Cholera outbreak in Haiti
14 - Paistani floods
13 - Iranian protests
12 - Super Bowl XLIV
11 - Iraq War
10 - Commonwealth Games
9 - Olympic Games
8 - Iranian Nuclear Program
7 - Haitian earthquake
6 - Debt in Europe
5 - Climate Change
4 - World Cup
3 - Afghani war
2 - Horizon oil spill
1 - US Midterm election

this and other lists, plus the methodology available in pdf form:

http://www.influencecommunication.ca/pdf/bilan-intl-2010.pdf

AJE's take:

zA3kDq3ACtI

§P0oONY
US Midterms? Number 1?.... Yeah.... Maybe for the yanks.

Quiero Mota
Sporting events should not be on lists of top news stories.

And why aren't the Chilean miners on that list?

inimalist

inimalist
just a bit on the methods:

leonidas
wow, some of those are very ...... general. actually stunned that the oil spill wasn't number 1 and that the miners missed the list. and i think you're not too far off when you're talking about sports. frankly it IS news because it's what people want know about. few things bring people together like sport. in a way it shares a lot in common with both politics and religion....

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by inimalist
In that way, the prominance of 3 sporting events, among a lot of really negative news events, does show a, idk, sporting side to human culture?

Competition draws us as much as death and war, and maybe that says something powerful about human nature? are people looking from an escape from the negative? is there a connection between our desire for sport and violence? or I'm looking too far into it, lol!

You're looking way too deep into it. The Saints won the Super Bowl, big deal.

I also think that Obama repealing DADT was a bigger event than the Mid-term elections.

inimalist
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
You're looking way too deep into it. The Saints won the Super Bowl, big deal.

I also think that Obama repealing DADT was a bigger event than the Mid-term elections.

its not supposed to say what the biggest events were though

its not that these are the most important things that happened, but they are the most reported on things, which took up the front pages and headlines of the most news media. These are the stories media are telling and what people are interested in consuming, not a reflection of what is more important on a grand scale.

The Dark Cloud
Sporting events should not be on lists of top news stories.

thumb up

And the oil spill was by far the most significant event of 2010

inimalist
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
thumb up

even though we talk about sports more than major local and international news events, and this was a list about how often things were reported?

And the oil spill was by far the most significant event of 2010

its not supposed to say what the biggest events were though

its not that these are the most important things that happened, but they are the most reported on things, which took up the front pages and headlines of the most news media. These are the stories media are telling and what people are interested in consuming, not a reflection of what is more important on a grand scale.

The Dark Cloud

Sad but true. Right now Kim Kardashians new hair style is the big story on Yahoo's home page.

inimalist
Sad but true. Right now Kim Kardashians new hair style is the big story on Yahoo's home page.

it does speak about culture and psychology though

leonidas
it does speak about culture and psychology though

yep. people know there are a lot of bad things going on in the world. they find release where they can.

skekUng
Originally posted by leonidas
they find release where they can.

Ha! In Kim Kardashians hair?

inimalist
Originally posted by leonidas
yep. people know there are a lot of bad things going on in the world. they find release where they can.

lol, what is really strange, is if you look through the Canadian media reports, they have to print 2 lists, one with sports stories included and one without.

3 entries from the Canadian list were:

- The Montreal Canadians (hockey team) make the playoffs
- The Montreal Canadians advance to the next round of the playoffs
- The Montreal Canadians face elimination from the playoffs

WTF?!?!

over half our list is sports events. We talk about sports more than we talk about local or international news. It is so bizarre. I havent watched hockey in years, but over the break I got to watch some games with my Dad, and it is SOOO f'ing nationalistic. Not just for "team canada", but even when its just the local teams playing.

lol, another WTF canada moment...

skekUng
You have a hockey team called The Canadians? Doesn't that get confusing?

inimalist
no?

EDIT: of course, this might reflect the fact that we talk about the Montreal Canadians more than most other things in this nation

§P0oONY
its a Canadian site that monitors international publications

it was the most talked about story of 2010

though, ya, it might be different in just the UK or whatever, but America is big news around the world

Yeah... sure it was.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

You're average European couldn't give a **** about the US midterms.

The oil spill was talked about more, on a global scale... easily.

Maybe not in column inches becasue the yanks wank over their elections. But globally the oil spill was nmore reported and talked about globally.

inimalist

§P0oONY
so you are saying, point blank, that the list is wrong?

do you have anything to support this, aside from "I don't think so"? Pretty much. srug

I simply don't beieve a stupid list off some canadian website. I'm not going to get evidence to disprove something I couldn't care less about.

inimalist

§P0oONY
My opinion is informed... I read and watched news media for the entire year. srug

inimalist
no, totally, that makes you way more knowledgeable than an organization that monitors media in over a hundred nations, you know, as its sole purpose

but then again, I even conceded that you might be right, maybe in the UK or Europe it wasnt the top story, it certainly was when all news is analyzed together.

skekUng
no?

EDIT: of course, this might reflect the fact that we talk about the Montreal Canadians more than most other things in this nation

Maybe it was more out of politeness.

The Quebec Quiches v The Montreal Canadians

inimalist
Originally posted by skekUng
Maybe it was more out of politeness.

The Quebec Quiches v The Montreal Canadians

LOL

so, for the longest time, there was a "Quebec nordiques", and in Quebec, the two teams came to represent the divisions between English and French in Quebec, and the whole thing was super politicized...

ya, WTF Canada. wtf

skekUng
LOL

so, for the longest time, there was a "Quebec nordiques", and in Quebec, the two teams came to represent the divisions between English and French in Quebec, and the whole thing was super politicized...

ya, WTF Canada. wtf

So, the Montreal Canadians were the "real Canadians", sort of?

inimalist
Originally posted by skekUng
So, the Montreal Canadians were the "real Canadians", sort of?

essentially. Quebec has wanted to separate from Canada for years, and since the 50s (at least), "English Canada" was the excuse for all of the problems in the province. Montreal has a huge English speaking population, and has generally opposed these things, thus, to the fans at least, the politics played out on the ice.

to the rest of Canada, though, they were both "those Quebec teams". Montreal is popular outside of Quebec, but not nearly in the same way, or representing the same things. in Winnipeg, the montreal canadians are really not seen as "patriotic", or at least any moreso than other Canadian teams (there are 6, we only cheer for them)

§P0oONY
no, totally, that makes you way more knowledgeable than an organization that monitors media in over a hundred nations, you know, as its sole purpose

but then again, I even conceded that you might be right, maybe in the UK or Europe it wasnt the top story, it certainly was when all news is analyzed together. But I don't trust the site with the list... Simple as that.

inimalist

King Kandy
I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

§P0oONY
any compelling reasons? *Puts on racist cap*

Canadian srug

inimalist
ya... we got our first newspaper this year

deliveries are tough, because there aren't house numbers on our igloos...

Symmetric Chaos
ya... we got our first newspaper this year

deliveries are tough, because there aren't house numbers on our igloos...

You should make each one out of a different kind of snow that when people can go: "Yeah the inimalists live in that ikkikuytakililo igloo and the Eiffels live in the tikujyutaskipol igloo." No need for numbers at all.

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
You should make each one out of a different kind of snow that when people can go: "Yeah the inimalists live in that ikkikuytakililo igloo and the Eiffels live in the tikujyutaskipol igloo." No need for numbers at all.

I had to check to make sure those weren't real inuit words

Tired-Hiker
Mel Gibson verbally abusing his wife. That shit was hilarious!!! laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.