Pick a Power: Survive the Jungle Edition

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
You're thrown into a wild South American jungle. There are no humans, and a mystical barrier 25 miles outside the center of the jungle, so you can't leave.

You have to survive for one year....meaning you have to fend off dangerous animals (this jungle has lions and hyenas), survive the elements, and provide food.

Which power do you pick and why?:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gambit's kinetic charge ability (limited to 3 charges per day) and adamantium staff

Spider-Man's leaping ability and 12 web cartridges

Wolverine's senses and an adamantium sword

Captain America's strength and his Shield

Bullseye's aim and a pair of admantium daggers

Black bolt z
^Why give cap a stupid vibranium shield?

Blair Wind
Bullseye's powers.

janus77
Bullseye's aim and the daggers. I'd have all I' realistically need to defend myself and feed myself too (Anaconda kebabs???).

the rest would quickly become useless, imo.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Black bolt z
^Why give cap a stupid vibranium shield? he could use it for many purposes...protection, weapon, range weapon, cut down things, etc.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Starscream M
he could use it for many purposes...protection, weapon, range weapon, cut down things, etc. Why not give him his regular shield?

Starscream M
Originally posted by janus77
Bullseye's aim and the daggers. I'd have all I' realistically need to defend myself and feed myself too (Anaconda kebabs???).

the rest would quickly become useless, imo. you don't have his reflexes though....so you're not gonna be nearly as good as him.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Why not give him his regular shield? edited...not sure it makes a difference. you aren't facing hulk or thor stick out tongue

Starscream M
guys, think big picture...its not just fending off against deadly creatures

its also about hunting food, making fire, making shelter, etc...dealing with night time darkness and weather mayhem

-Pr-
you don't have his reflexes though....so you're not gonna be nearly as good as him.

you really wouldn't need to be. his aim plus some daggers is going to do more than keep any decently fit human being alive for a year...

Black bolt z
Wolverine.

Blair Wind

its also about hunting food, making fire, making shelter, etc...dealing with night time darkness and weather mayhem

And that is all something that comes by the man and his knowledge of the wilderness. Bullseyes powers give me the one thing I'd lack with no resources: the ability to use anything as a weapon to kill animals for food. The rest is up to me. Building a shelter, making a fire, etc etc are not something the other powers will help with anyway.

Starscream M
Originally posted by -Pr-
you really wouldn't need to be. his aim plus some daggers is going to do more than keep any decently fit human being alive for a year... a pack of hyenas would be big trouble

-Pr-
a pack of hyenas would be big trouble

you didn't say anything about packs. and there are trees.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Blair Wind
And that is all something that comes by the man and his knowledge of the wilderness. Bullseyes powers give me the one thing I'd lack with no resources: the ability to use anything as a weapon to kill animals for food. The rest is up to me. Building a shelter, making a fire, etc etc are not something the other powers will help with anyway. gambit can make a fire...by causing an explosion near dry wood

Starscream M
you didn't say anything about packs. and there are trees. I said there are lots of lions and hyenas....hyenas only live in packs

-Pr-
gambit can make a fire...by causing an explosion near dry wood

and attract every carnivore within hearing distance.

I said there are lots of lions and hyenas....hyenas only live in packs

and there are still trees, thereby eliminating that danger.

Starscream M
and attract every carnivore within hearing distance.

and there are still trees, thereby eliminating that danger. 1) fire scares animals

2) how would trees eliminate that danger? if you have bullseyes aim, you still will have tough time climbing trees...esp in an emergency

janus77

Bullseye's aim would buy me dinner every night. just throw a freshly carved (with the daggers) dart up at a nearby toucan (Toucan pie smile) or throw a sharp-edged rock at a charging boar ... meat on tap.

the only problem would be sleeping amidst the infinite army of poisonous creatures, but then none of the other powers are of any use there either (unless you have Wolverine's stamina + hf).

the best Bullseye can achieve on this front, imo, would be to kill off the bigger predators (snakes, big cats, boars, reptiles) and construct some sort of raised platform in the tree-tops to avoid much of the ground slithering and crawling harbingers of death.

-Pr-
1) fire scares animals

2) how would trees eliminate that danger? if you have bullseyes aim, you still will have tough time climbing trees...esp in an emergency

i can build a fire without gambit's powers.

by using the daggers as picks.

with bullseye's powers, i can take care of food, warmth and predators at the same time. throwing explosive branches is pretty much useless to me.

Starscream M
Bullseye's aim would buy me dinner every night. just throw a freshly carved (with the daggers) dart up at a nearby toucan (Toucan pie smile) or throw a sharp-edged rock at a charging boar ... meat on tap.

the only problem would be sleeping amidst the infinite army of poisonous creatures, but then none of the other powers are of any use there either (unless you have Wolverine's stamina + hf).

the best Bullseye can achieve on this front, imo, would be to kill off the bigger predators (snakes, big cats, boars, reptiles) and construct some sort of raised platform in the tree-tops to avoid much of the ground slithering and crawling harbingers of death. wolverine's senses can keep you away from predators... at least while you're awake

spiderman's jumping ability and webbing means you can build shelter up in the trees

captain america's options prob allow you to build a strong shelter easiest

janus77
1) fire scares animals

trees would both be a means of escape (by climbing - the daggers would be immensely helpful here) and a way to thin out predators from on high.

face it, Bullseye's aim is a definite advantage here.

Blair Wind
gambit can make a fire...by causing an explosion near dry wood

I can make a fire. I have two metal daggers. More than enough to cut wood with and make a fire with. Or to create a shelter with. Ever heard of a bow drill? Or a lean two? From temp to permanent creations it will be more the man than the powers he picks. The aim just gives me something to hunt with/protect with, and the daggers are the most useful weapons of the bunch

Creshosk
I'm going to go with Wolverine's powers and the sword. I know how to fight with various differnt kinds of swords, I'm an Eagle scout so the skills are no problem. The senses would help me FIND the food. The ability to kill the food is useless without being able to find the food. I know how to make Bows and arrows and I know how to use them. And while I'n no Bullseye I can hit bullseye's fairly well.

Starscream M
the daggers are the most useful weapons of the bunch that's debatable.

as I can see wolverine's sword being more useful. you can't really chop wood with daggers...

janus77
wolverine's senses can keep you away from predators... at least while you're awake

spiderman's jumping ability and webbing means you can build shelter up in the trees

captain america's options prob allow you to build a strong shelter easiest
Wolverine's senses without his hf and stamina would just get you killed, as you can smell and hear the nasties all around but you have neither the experience nor the confidence to act calmly. instead you'd be constantly on edge, hardly sleeping, rapidly depleting whatever strength you had.

Spiderman's jumping is useless in the dense jungle, you'd end up banging into branches, hugging boa constrictors, upsetting wasps and god knows whatelse.

if you had an unending supply of his webbing, maybe you could construct some sort of defence but you wouldn't have the strength to build a heavy shelter up in the trees, even if the webbing were sufficient to construct one.

Cap's shield is utterly useless without his skill, and his level of strength is not going to help you past one week, as you won't have any way of really keeping your health up with food and shelter.

Creshosk
Wolverine's senses without his hf and stamina would just get you killed, as you can smell and hear the nasties all around but you have neither the experience nor the confidence to act calmly. instead you'd be constantly on edge, hardly sleeping, rapidly depleting whatever strength you had. You might be.

marwash22
You're thrown into a wild South American jungle. There are no humans, and a mystical barrier 25 miles outside the center of the jungle, so you can't leave.

You have to survive for one year....meaning you have to fend off dangerous animals (this jungle has lions and hyenas), survive the elements, and provide food.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does that include Spidey's agility and equilibrium, or just the listed abilities?.

illadelph12
I'd pick Gambit's powers. With three charges a day I could blast out a hole either in the ground or in the side of a hill to make a bunker/shelter, and charge some rocks or a log to create an explosion large enough to both create a clearing and knock down a large number of trees for materials simultaneously. When the rains come being able to have a home inside a manufactured cave with heat and light will be a major plus. Also, you could blast holes in the ground to set traps for animals for food as well as for predators, and fabricate a spear head for the adamantium staff to use it as a stabbing weapon to kill the animals that fall in the pits (or just blow them up with a charged rock). Since I'd be in the jungle for a year Gambit's powers give me an opportunity to cut down on the amount of time and effort it would take to perform some tasks (like cutting down individual trees vs blasting them down in bunches, starting fires for heat/light when conditions don't permit , etc) and to prepare a place to live. Plus having a greater capacity to alter the landscape to my advantage is a definite plus.

Does this jungle have a river?

Creshosk
Originally posted by illadelph12
I'd pick Gambit's powers. With three charges a day I could blast out a hole either in the ground or in the side of a hill to make a bunker/shelter, and charge some rocks or a log to create an explosion large enough to both create a clearing and knock down a large number of trees for materials simultaneously. When the rains come being able to have a home inside a manufactured cave with heat and light will be a major plus. Also, you could blast holes in the ground to set traps for animals for food as well as for predators, and fabricate a spear head for the adamantium staff to use it as a stabbing weapon to kill the animals that fall in the pits (or just blow them up with a charged rock). Since I'd be in the jungle for a year Gambit's powers give me an opportunity to cut down on the amount of time and effort it would take to perform some tasks (like cutting down individual trees vs blasting them down in bunches, starting fires for heat/light when conditions don't permit , etc) and to prepare a place to live. Plus having a greater capacity to alter the landscape to my advantage is a definite plus.

Does this jungle have a river? There has to be a water source feeding the trees be it a river and /or a higher water table.

Starscream M

Does this jungle have a river? yes. and I like your plan...didn't think of using his powers to blow up holes as shelter or trap.

Starscream M
Originally posted by marwash22
does that include Spidey's agility and equilibrium, or just the listed abilities?. you get his equilibrium...not his agility

illadelph12
yes. and I like your plan...didn't think of using his powers to blow up holes as shelter or trap.

Hmm, river means likely spear fishing is possible. Plus I could blast out some land and knock over some trees to make a makeshift dam and/or redirect some of the water to make a moat for added protection of my shelter.

Blair Wind
Just don't pee (Candiru) or bleed in the water (Piranha) stick out tongue

Creshosk
Hmm, river means likely spear fishing is possible. Plus I could blast out some land and knock over some trees to make a makeshift dam and/or redirect some of the water to make a moat for added protection of my shelter. No the moat won't help. Hyena's can swim.

XMIOLpimFHg

Just don't pee or bleed in the water stick out tongue Yeah those nasty little things.

Martian_mind
Cap's strength and shield.

find a tree with a hollowed out base or hollow it myself, use the shield as a makeshift door when I'm sleeping. With the strength boost climbing will be no issue, so by day I'll travel by tree, eating fruit and avoiding most predators until I feel like some meat. Cap's shield would be helpful in making a fire, so I don't need to worry about that.

Finally, Cap's strength means that anything that does catch up to me is getting it's neck snapped.

Uriel005
that's debatable.

as I can see wolverine's sword being more useful. you can't really chop wood with daggers... dagger limitation can be overcome with some vine and a sturdy branch. Also within a month or two hyenas die out and lions will have moved to the plains. Accuracy wins this one as its the only one that gives you a skill that will assist in long term survival. Also bullseye accuracy with spears. There are plenty of things with barbs and darts and I know I can catch a couple of dart frogs to make ti that much more lethal.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Uriel005
dagger limitation can be overcome with some vine and a sturdy branch. Also within a month or two hyenas die out and lions will have moved to the plains. Accuracy wins this one as its the only one that gives you a skill that will assist in long term survival. Also bullseye accuracy with spears. There are plenty of things with barbs and darts and I know I can catch a couple of dart frogs to make ti that much more lethal. It's only useful if you don't already have survival skills related to it. I have archery, Wolverine's sense are more useful to me.

Wait, is this South America? I thought with the lions and hyena it was africa.

Martian_mind
It's South America, but teh Lions and Hyenas have been added.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Martian_mind
It's South America, but teh Lions and Hyenas have been added. Ah, I must have missed that.

marwash22
Once again, I'm going with Spidey.

carver9
I like these threads that starscream make... pretty interesting.

Creshosk
Originally posted by carver9
I like these threads that starscream make... pretty interesting. I have to agree with this.

Bouboumaster
Going with Bulleye's aim.

Even without the daggers, I'd own any animals around. Just picking a rock, and I would still be able to do something.

marwash22
Originally posted by carver9
I like these threads that starscream make... pretty interesting. Originally posted by Creshosk
I have to agree with this. +1

Starscream M
thank ya guys! I enjoy making these threads smile

Tha C-Master
Some characters are known more for filling the threads, and others are known for making them. You have to have both.Originally posted by Starscream M

Gambit's kinetic charge ability (limited to 3 charges per day) and adamantium staff

Wolverine's senses and an adamantium sword

Captain America's strength and his Shield

Bullseye's aim and a pair of admantium daggers Cap IMO. Having his strength and natural toughness should be enough. Spider-Man seems interesting enough.

D_Dude1210
Yeah, I'll prolly go with either Bullseye or Cap. Gambit is just too dangerous (as I don't want to get nailed by sharp splinters or falling trees.

Ang having an adamantium katana w/o the stats to use it doesn't allow me to optimize the weapon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.