Martian Manhunter vs Quasar

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Castle
forum rules...

1) Wendell

2) Phyla

3) both same time

Black bolt z
Phyla loses.

1 and 3 win.

Philosophía
Phasing. Hand through the brain/heart. Repeat.

J'onn wins.

dmills

Philosophía
Yes, he has done it in comics.

Desaad
Phyla loses flat out. The team wins, flat out. Going on to just Wendell...

Well, one of Martian Manhunter's big trumps - telepathy - is going to be mostly useless here, since Wendell has near immunity to it -- I think the limits have only really been tested by Moondragon (though I have some feeling, what with all his interactions with the Squadron Supreme, that Overmind might have tried something and failed?) but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that Martian Manhunter's normal telepathic attacks, at least, are going to be mostly useless.

That said, Martian Manhunter's other big trump -- phasing -- HAS proven extremely effective against Quasar on at least one occasion that I can recall (The Red Ghost). Add in the fact that Quasar has almost always had trouble against serious top tiers in strength (Gladiator, Tutinex) and the fact that I've never actually seen him generate fire, and I think Martian Manhunter takes a slight majority. Of course his command of energy COULD lead him to just trying microwave energy that sets something on fire, which is why I only give Martian Manhunter a SLIGHT majority, but I think it's more likely that MM is going to use his phasing to get in close and just bound the crap out of him.

zopzop
Wait he isn't "immune" to it. He's immune to mind control. Can MM hurl psi bolts, like Moondragon can? Cause they do indeed affect Quasar.

And nothing Quasar can do will affect MM if MM is phased. If MM can close the gap and get within touching range on Quasar, Quasar is dead.

Desaad
He was essentially immune. Moondragon's psi bolts did little more than shake him (as opposed to, say, kill him, as they did with Drax). He was still fine to keep talking and fighting, I think the most that happened was he was a bit disoriented.

And Martian Manhunter CAN be affected if any fire is started, even while phased.

zopzop
Was she even trying to kill him (Quasar)? No right?

Can Quasar make fire from his Q-bands? I've never seen it, ever.

Desaad
Originally posted by zopzop
Was she even trying to kill him (Quasar)? No right?

She was trying to incapacitate him, which she failed to do, as he himself says. She wasn't trying to kill Drax, just stop him, but she did that too.

Tell me you're kidding.

Are you familiar with what fire IS? How energy transfer works?

dmills
Originally posted by Desaad
She was trying to incapacitate him, which she failed to do, as he himself says. She wasn't trying to kill Drax, just stop him, but she did that too.

Tell me you're kidding.

Are you familiar with what fire IS? How energy transfer works? laughing

leonidas
Phyla loses flat out. The team wins, flat out. Going on to just Wendell...

Well, one of Martian Manhunter's big trumps - telepathy - is going to be mostly useless here, since Wendell has near immunity to it -- I think the limits have only really been tested by Moondragon (though I have some feeling, what with all his interactions with the Squadron Supreme, that Overmind might have tried something and failed?) but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that Martian Manhunter's normal telepathic attacks, at least, are going to be mostly useless.

That said, Martian Manhunter's other big trump -- phasing -- HAS proven extremely effective against Quasar on at least one occasion that I can recall (The Red Ghost). Add in the fact that Quasar has almost always had trouble against serious top tiers in strength (Gladiator, Tutinex) and the fact that I've never actually seen him generate fire, and I think Martian Manhunter takes a slight majority. Of course his command of energy COULD lead him to just trying microwave energy that sets something on fire, which is why I only give Martian Manhunter a SLIGHT majority, but I think it's more likely that MM is going to use his phasing to get in close and just bound the crap out of him.

ohhh, excellent post. i agree completely.

MrMind
it's pointless quasar makes fire or not, martian manhunter doesn't have the fire weakness anymore.

zopzop

Are you referring to the Quasar/Moondragon fight when Moondragon was manipulating Kayla? Because Moondragon just wanted him off her. She wasn't up for a fight so she summoned Warlock and Warlock soul raped him.

Can you produce on panel evidence of Quasar creating fire from his Q-bands?

@MrMind

Thank you for that bit of info. Then Quasar gets raped by MM.

Desaad
Originally posted by MrMind
it's pointless quasar makes fire or not, martian manhunter doesn't have the fire weakness anymore.

Uh, what? Yes, he does. He lost it for a bit, but has had it since the Fernus the Burning arc ended.

Desaad
Are you referring to the Quasar/Moondragon fight when Moondragon was manipulating Kayla? Because Moondragon just wanted him off her. She wasn't up for a fight so she summoned Warlock and Warlock soul raped him.

Yeah. If she could have knocked him out with a psionic blast, that would have been the most expedient method of what she wanted, she would have.

Unless your argument is that she's not a strong enough psi to knock out a normally susceptible man with a psionic blast?

The fact that he can create microwaves with his weapon means that he can create fire, so long as there is anything combustible in the vicinity.

That's really basic, basic science.

zopzop
Yeah. If she could have knocked him out with a psionic blast, that would have been the most expedient method of what she wanted, she would have.

Unless your argument is that she's not a strong enough psi to knock out a normally susceptible man with a psionic blast?

The fact that she was occupied with studying Kayla and the Starbrand (which she viewed as a dangerous power) had something to do with it.

Plus Moondragon used that Mind Gem like a scrub. All that power and she could only stalemate Prof X. at best? Meh to her.

True but how would this come into play in a fight? Is Quasar gonna hurl garbage at him then ignite it? Where is the fight taking place? On the ground? In the air? In space?

celeyhyga17
at the beginning of the fight, does quasar know about JJ's pyrophobia or weakness to it?

Desaad
If they're in space and there is no atmosphere then fire is never going to come into play. Assuming planet with normal atmosphere, any wide assault has the possibility of setting something on fire.

As for Mind Gem/Moondragon, there is no one else who has done better with it. Point being, even the weakest of psionics can knock someone out with a psionic blast

celeyhyga17
he might be able to qjump mm near the sun?

Bouboumaster
1- If Quasar can attack MM during his phasing, I say split. If no, MM wins 8/10

2- MM 10/10, it's out of question that Phyla got even one on this. What a piss poor Quasar.

3- Team 9/10. Again, if Quasar(s) can't touch MM during his phasing, MM still got a (very slim) shot at the victory.

zopzop
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
If Quasar can attack MM during his phasing

Again, if Quasar(s) can't touch MM during his phasing

He can't Quasar can't affect anyone who is phased. The Bands failed vs Red Ghost and later against the Vision.

So no, he cannot touch MM while MM is phased.

celeyhyga17
He can't Quasar can't affect anyone who is phased. The Bands failed vs Red Ghost and later against the Vision.

So no, he cannot touch MM while MM is phased.

or vice versa.
qjump a big pile of burning something at MM

Desaad
That's making the assumption that he knows Martian Manhunter's weakness, which I think is probably unreasonable.

I brought it up because in a fight, I think there is a chance that fire is going to randomly come into play. But I never go into these things assuming the other has full knowledge of their opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

If you do assume that, I think Quasar probably stomps.

celeyhyga17
That's making the assumption that he knows Martian Manhunter's weakness, which I think is probably unreasonable.

I brought it up because in a fight, I think there is a chance that fire is going to randomly come into play. But I never go into these things assuming the other has full knowledge of their opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

If you do assume that, I think Quasar probably stomps.

i thought each combatant has general knowledge of their opponents at the beginning of a forum fight no? (forum rules)??

Desaad
But specific weaknesses? I'd be willing to bet "super strong guy with these powers" or "green lantern style guy" but not "weakness to fire" "weakness to red sun energy" "can only manipulate energies within the electromag spectrum" etc.

Am I wrong?

zopzop
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
or vice versa.
qjump a big pile of burning something at MM

Ok can someone clue me in, there's been so many changes/retcons in DC I'm behind the times.

How fast can MM fly? What's his reaction time?

Is the "fire weakness" a phobia or is it something so overpowering that it can hurt him and affect him even when phased?

Is he still just below Superman strength/durability wise?

Because if he's almost as fast/strong/invulnerable as Superman, what's to stop him from phasing then blitzing right at Quasar then stomping his ass?

Plus can MM fire off psi-bolts? He could be doing that while blitzing Quasar. Quasar wouldn't do anything except die painfully.

MM can read Quasar's thoughts and see what he's gonna do as before he does it. Quasar is only immune to mental take over, nothing else.

stingerman
I believe Q's bands protect him from any psi penetration so MM wouldn't be able to read this thoughts.

If Quasar did know MM's weakness to fire he would just tap into a fire source (like the sun).

Also, if Q knew MM could phase I would assume he would move fast enough to not let him get near or something. Quasar is a real thinker so he would come up with something. Heck, Quasar could even make himself invisible - though he never has done it in the comic.

Utrigita
But specific weaknesses? I'd be willing to bet "super strong guy with these powers" or "green lantern style guy" but not "weakness to fire" "weakness to red sun energy" "can only manipulate energies within the electromag spectrum" etc.

Am I wrong?

dmills

celeyhyga17
Gotta go with Quase here if he uses something creative with extreme heat/fire or anything of that sort...

dmills
I want to say Quasar, but there seems to be too many if's. If he can do this, if he can do that.

Prep-Man
MM for the small majority.

zopzop
Originally posted by stingerman I believe Q's bands protect him from any psi penetration so MM wouldn't be able to read this thoughts.

No they don't, unless there's been a retcon. They only protect him from mental takeover. You can still read his mind, psi blast him, fool him with mental illusions,etc...

Prep-Man
bump

Martian_mind
Originally posted by dmills
I see what you did there lol. Nice try.

Is it something that he does often enough to assume he'd do it right out of the gate in this setting, I.e. with cis on?

Yes.

Tazer
Yo.

Originally posted by King Castle
forum rules...

1) Wendell

2) Phyla

3) both same time

1) MM but he has to work for it, and if his mental protection *isnt* up (and it wasnt always) then its an easy win

2) much easier fight if he stays phased, but a h2h battle works to her advantage (tp would make it a wrap tho)

3) he'd NEED to use tp here, or else Id give them the win

Tazer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.