Tunisia Rising

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Liberator

Robtard
Whacky Arabs burning and bombing shit? I am Jack's surprised colon.

Morridini
This is really great news, Ben Ali has finally been forced to step down as President (read: Dictator); http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12195025

Being a tunisian citizen (not living there, but visiting at least once a year) I have really seen the crap Ben Ali has put that country through, and really hope this can start going for the better.

Symmetric Chaos
While I realize that a lot of people have been killed in the fighting I have to say that this seems like a very quick revolution, with a surprisingly small amount of violence involved in forcing the regime change.

Bicnarok
eventually we will all uprise and take back the power, power to the people not the bankers.

jaden101
Lucky for the world that noone gives a shit about Tunisia except when they qualify for world cup.

FistOfThe North
Rebel scum. Speaking of which, wasn't "star wars: a new hope" film there?

Morridini
The Homestead part at the very begging was filmed there, and the Mos Espa scenes from Phantom Menace.

Bicnarok

inimalist
8e5uCxrEwpE

so, ya, from what we have seen in Tunisia, the Arab would could be a tinderbox of democratic revolutions, if only there were some inciting moment like there was in this instance.

jaden101
Originally posted by inimalist
8e5uCxrEwpE

so, ya, from what we have seen in Tunisia, the Arab would could be a tinderbox of democratic revolutions, if only there were some inciting moment like there was in this instance.

Why do you always use that yuppie "So, ya" when you're trying to make some kind of intellectual point?

Not trolling...Genuinely curious...You use it a lot in certain debates.

inimalist
Originally posted by jaden101
Why do you always use that yuppie "So, ya" when you're trying to make some kind of intellectual point?

Not trolling...Genuinely curious...You use it a lot in certain debates.

I use "fair enough", and "further/however" a lot too

I think it is like: "So, there is a piece/s of evidence that I have presented/find convincing, therefore:", it just indicates that I am summing from previous stuff, I tend to type how I speak, thus all the "likes" and "whatevers".

I couldn't tell you for sure though, just something I say I suppose

also, reported for trolling, so ya

jaden101

also, reported for trolling, so ya

laughing

Could be worse.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Robtard
Whacky Arabs burning and bombing shit? I am Jack's surprised colon.

laughing out loud Right?

inimalist
ewo620L-YcM

as unfortunate as it is, this highlights the reality of revolution

violence, insecurity, lack of resources and basic living needs, no stability or reliability from security services...

Hopefully someone can take power and lead Tunisia in the right direction, but like the first AJE viodeo I posted, the danger is that at this point, people will fall in with a strongman who gets their country working again, rather than with egalitarian ideas of "democracy" and "freedom", as happened in Aljeeria...

What do you guys think? We will all probably agree that regieme change imposed from the outside is ill fated, but could the international community come and essentially "occupy" Tunisia now, in the name of its people, in order to ensure that the power vaccum isn't just filled by "more of the same"?

There are obvious problems, outside forces are never seen as benevolent by locals, but maybe this is where the global community could play a role in "exporting democracy"

Liberator
ewo620L-YcM

violence, insecurity, lack of resources and basic living needs, no stability or reliability from security services...

Hopefully someone can take power and lead Tunisia in the right direction, but like the first AJE viodeo I posted, the danger is that at this point, people will fall in with a strongman who gets their country working again, rather than with egalitarian ideas of "democracy" and "freedom", as happened in Aljeeria...

What do you guys think? We will all probably agree that regieme change imposed from the outside is ill fated, but could the international community come and essentially "occupy" Tunisia now, in the name of its people, in order to ensure that the power vaccum isn't just filled by "more of the same"?

There are obvious problems, outside forces are never seen as benevolent by locals, but maybe this is where the global community could play a role in "exporting democracy"

Did a fine job of that in Vietnam.
And even more so now in Afghanistan.

No, it's going to have to be non-national grassroots affiliated groups that would make any sort of foreign impact positive.

U.N. Peacekeepers armed to the teeth just aren't going to cut it anymore.

inimalist
Originally posted by Liberator
Did a fine job of that in Vietnam.
And even more so now in Afghanistan.

No, it's going to have to be non-national grassroots affiliated groups that would make any sort of foreign impact positive.

U.N. Peacekeepers armed to the teeth just aren't going to cut it anymore.

?

neither of those cases are what I described...

ewo620L-YcM

true, but even hardcore revolutionists acknowledge that. what they promise is overall improvement once the civil war is over and the revolution is consolidated

in theory, a decent form of UN backed international occupation that acts to protect basic interests of the people as a whole and not for the benefit of some local elite and a foreign power supporting it for its own interests isn't impossible, but as a rule, they turn to shit just the same as neutrality is impossible and nobody believes in the kindness of gun carrying foreigners anyway (usually with good reason). Any outside group with strategic interests in the country will simply atempt to manipulate the forces struggling for power within it, both right now and in the event of any international peace mission.

inimalist
Originally posted by 753
true, but even hardcore revolutionists acknowledge that. what they promise is overall improvement once the civil war is over and the revolution is consolidated

they may recognize the fact, but imho, if you look at the history of revolution, you see cases of people highly effective at disrupting and dismantling the previous state, but rarely with any idea of how to manage the interm. Famously, the student revolts in Paris or the capturing of Barcelona during the Spanish Civil war (there are counter examples of course, Krondstadt seems to have revolted with clear ideas of organization after the revolt, and Cuba might be a successful example).

They do have an interm leader in Tunisia right now, and he seems to be trying to get a quick peace between various groups (I can't honestly say I know who the important groups are here), so hopefully he can do it.

Originally posted by 753
in theory, a decent form of UN backed international occupation that acts to protect basic interests of the people as a whole and not for the benefit of some local elite and a foreign power supporting it for its own interests isn't impossible, but as a rule, they turn to shit just the same as neutrality is impossible and nobody believes in the kindness of gun carrying foreigners anyway (usually with good reason). Any outside group with strategic interests in the country will simply atempt to manipulate the forces struggling for power within it, both right now and in the event of any international peace mission.

I agree, for sure. It would present a logistics nightmare. Even just looking at a situation like Rwanda, the West pulled its peacekeepers out when it looked like a genocide was going to occur. How could we possibly expect Western nations to give troops to secure a nation in a situation like this, that is, if we could even do it in such a way that the people of that nation didn't feel occupied.

King Kandy
How could we possibly expect Western nations to give troops to secure a nation in a situation like this, that is, if we could even do it in such a way that the people of that nation didn't feel occupied.
First Earth Battalion, yo.

inimalist
Originally posted by King Kandy
First Earth Battalion, yo.

A perfect use of America's jedi warriors

EDIT: "I'm here to liberate this BASE!" <rips off shirt>

inimalist
RL5WbNoBqYw

a little update

there is this one too, that I am still watching now, that talks about the role of the army in all this, which, if we want to be optimistic, is actually acting how these theoretical "peacekeepers" might... though that might lead to the military having too much power in the end...

ZkEfGIdBWNQ

apparently the army is arresting the leaders of presidental security...

King Kandy
A perfect use of America's jedi warriors

EDIT: "I'm here to liberate this BASE!" <rips off shirt>
I'm really, really curious what would have happened if that program actually entered a warzone.

inimalist
Originally posted by King Kandy
I'm really, really curious what would have happened if that program actually entered a warzone.

did you see the movie or read the book?

because the book goes into how there was a psychic conflict between Noreiga and the FEB smile

he would put their names in his shoes to protect himself from their psychic powers

King Kandy
Just the movie.

GCG
Always got that feeling that when in power, seldom is it used rightly.

inimalist
eXvbiTMXfkc

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.