Sebastian Shaw as DARTH VADER in ROTJ

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
The scene where luke looks at his father for the very first time . Is there any difference between the vader in the OOT and the SE ??

coolmovies
OOT

coolmovies
SE

queeq
A simple no would suffice.

But maybe for the Blu Ray Lucas will replace him with an old looking Hayden.... wink

darthmaul1
Originally posted by queeq
A simple no would suffice.

But maybe for the Blu Ray Lucas will replace him with an old looking Hayden.... wink

I hope not

mossman
As you can see above, they digitally removed his eyebrows for the 2004 DVD. They also altered his eye colour to match Hayden's (although I've never actually noticed this myself).
In the 1997 Special Edition, and all other versions prior to this, Shaw's own eyebrows and eyes were intact...

mossman
Here's a better comparison I made...

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5276/vadercomparison.th.jpg

steverules_2
2004 looks better but still there's no need to replace Mr. Shaw, it would be pretty difficult to do I think, doing a force ghost is one thing but doing that...I dunno...

mossman
That comparison does highlight one of the other problems with the 2004 versions - the picture is obviously a lot sharper, but a lot of the mid-tones are lost.
If you look at Luke's hair, most of the detail is gone because the contrast has been pushed too far...

steverules_2
I wonder how the blu ray will look

Didn't someone die during the making of gladiator so they had to put his head on some other guy or something like that...maybe they could put hayden in ROTJ but I doubt they will

darthmaul1
Originally posted by steverules_2

Didn't someone die during the making of gladiator so they had to put his head on some other guy or something like that...maybe they could put hayden in ROTJ but I doubt they will

Please don't. if they do that they may as well age ewan and put his head on alec.

JediRobin23
They already put Dooku's head on another body while hes fighting in EPII.
That old guy already looks like hayden

queeq
Shaw dosn't seem to have the scar over his right eye like Hayden had in ROTS. They may just add that next time.

Originally posted by steverules_2

That was Oliver Reed. But they used a an alterante take of a previous scene of him and altered the background where the Romans come in to kill him. Not quite the same. Basically a rotoscope job.

steverules_2
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Please don't. if they do that they may as well age ewan and put his head on alec.

They won't but for some reason they are pushing Hayden on the Star wars fans

Shaw dosn't seem to have the scar over his right eye like Hayden had in ROTS. They may just add that next time.

That was Oliver Reed. But they used a an alterante take of a previous scene of him and altered the background where the Romans come in to kill him. Not quite the same. Basically a rotoscope job.

I think that fact he got burnt would have gotten rid of the scar, would've burned off. You woulda thought he'd look pretty badly burnt under his helmet considering how he looked in ROTS but he didn't look too bad so...

I wasn't 100% sure how it was done, I just knew he died so they had to find a way to do his last scene

queeq
That is exactly how it was done.

There was an alternate take of Oliver Reed sending Maximus off in the dungeons, saying Shadows and Dust. There was a take where he repeated that line a bit more in a comtemplative manner. It wasn't scripted as a line to be repeated, it was improv... But it worked great as his dying words.
So they took the shot, used a double for filming him on the back. And they rotoscoped the frontal shot from the dungeon, matched the light on the set and there it was. Quite lovely actually and not really CGI-ed.

steverules_2
Yeah, so that explains the missing scar, doubt Lucas cares much about adding that is as he does about all the effects

It was a really good movie big grin Still love it to this day

queeq
I still love your avatar to this day.

steverules_2
I still love your avatar to this day.

You and all of KMC stick out tongue

queeq
Happy Dance

steverules_2
I think thats what she was doing at the time

queeq
Whatever she was doing, she was doing it quite well...

BruceSkywalker
why is that not david prowse????

queeq
*face palm*

Prowse was just the big body the suit hung on. He was Darth Vaders body, he was never supposed to be his voice or Anakin Skywalker.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.