What's the "best" Anti-Virus?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RE: Blaxican
Been thinking about going ahead and buying an actual anti-virus program, now that I have a job and stuff.

Problem is that I'm not really sure which one to get. I've looked at various articles on the net, and there's conflicting opinions, so I figured I'd get the opinions of people I kinda know who are computer oriented.

So yah. State away. I'm not really looking for the mackdaddy of anti-hacking or anything like that, just something to keep the viruses and spyware at bay while I troll the internet for pronz.

dadudemon
Virus Bulletin conducts a "contest" each year in the fall.

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index

The best one is usually free, believe it or not. The worst ones are the ones you pay for.

Install Avast or AVG. For free. Save your money for other things.

Darth Jello
AVG in conjunction with Spybot S&D and Ad Aware have worked form me through two laptops and 7 years.

Bardock42
Avira AntiVir.

And yeah, don't spend money on AntiVirus software, that's insane.

Ushgarak
I actually find AVG has become far too bloated as of late. Intrusive AV annoys me greatly.

Microsoft's own solution works well enough and it a very light touch.

Symmetric Chaos
Avast + NoScript

-Pr-
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Avast + NoScript

Agreed; I use the same myself.

ADarksideJedi
Firefox is suppose to be real good for that.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Bardock42
Avira AntiVir.

And yeah, don't spend money on AntiVirus software, that's insane. It seems that most people in germany use this (including me).

I also (still) use Spybot and used AdAware back in the day but at a certain point AdAware started to ***** anround (doesn't wanted to update anymore) and I threw it off.

A good programm for searching for Rootkits is Ice Sword.

Liberator
I use Super Anti-Spyware, runs great for me.

BackFire
I use AVG.

Seems to work well enough.

Darth Jello
The big problem with AVG was how bad it slowed things down when preforming virus scans. Then again, lately it seems like lightly blowing on my monitor is enough to make firefox hang. Regardless, this issue with prioritizing is fixed in the newest release.

General_Iroh
I use AVG and spyware doctor, between the two of them it keeps my computer pretty clean, also I'd run my computer on a non-admin account so if a virus does get through it can do any serious harm.

King Kandy
AVG and Malwarebytes

brianmoore123
i like Avira....its the best antivirus.....bcoz i m using it smile

Robtard
I used to use the full version of AVAST (got it for free) and I loved it, worked great and left a small footprint on my computer, best anti-virus I've ever used. Once they upgraded to their newest version, I could no longer use the one I had (they would no longer update the virus database).

I use Norton now, it get it for free through my ISP (Comcast/Infinity). It works well, but it's resource heavy compared to AVAST. Was thinking of going to the free AVAST, but I believe it might be limited.

Tried AVG, I found it bloated/ resource heavy. Maybe the newer version fixed this?

BruceSkywalker
I used to use AVG.. now I use SuperAntiSpyware and Avast

Robtard
And you know it's good, cos it has the word "super" right in the name.

Dave_97
the best Anti-T-Virus, is S.T.A.R.S.

http://media.animeglobe.com/images/attachments/chris-and-jill_1237919317.jpg

Peach
I use Avira and Malwarebytes.

CCleaner is a great little program that more people should know about; if your antivirus or antispyware program can't kill a problem on the first go around, running CCleaner and then doing another scan will usually do the trick.

The first thing I always do when I get a new computer is uninstall Norton.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by Peach
The first thing I always do when I get a new computer is uninstall Norton.

Yup, that's always the first step. thumb up I do the same.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.