I'm thinking about creating a video game

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kosmic King
I'm just wondering; what is the best program to do this with?

StarCraft2
haha no replies until...I showed up/I did

Insomniatric
You should put something like "Zombie Ninjas" in it.

Yeah. I would play that.

Dave_97
make a video game that is all about boobs

Insomniatric
Or Zombie Ninjas.

Kosmic King
Zombie Ninjas with boobs? I might just put that in the game, just for you!

Anyway, this isn't really about what's going into the game so much as what the game is made with. So with that said, would you happen to know a good program to create games with?

Insomniatric
Originally posted by Kosmic King
Zombie Ninjas with boobs? I might just put that in the game, just for you!

You are the man.

And I don't really know what program you could use, sorry.

Bardock42

The guys from Extra Credits, suggested "Game Maker" for the PC. It's supposedly easy for the beginner, but still rather powerful.

http://www.yoyogames.com/make

Barker
Make a good RPG for Android.

Mist_haermm
facepalm

The best 'program' is education in the field. Don't be all 'I WAN 2 MAEK TEH GAMEZ LOLOLOL' if you have no idea what it takes to get started. Typically you would have a minimum of 2 people, an artist and a programmer, unless you're multi-skilled but you'll be overworked. Pick which one you want to be, and don't say you want to be a game designer because your profile says you're 17 and I don't think you understand the scope that a designer has to work at.

Pretending you know what you want, you either choose whether you want to make a 2D or 3D game. If its 3D, you'll need 3D software like Maya or 3DSMax. 2D you'll need Photoshop, Flash or any painting software. Expect to pay at least $5000 for the licenses to these by the way.

Not even going to list any game engines besides Unity, because
a) its easy to use
b) it can do 3D or 2D games
c) it can publish to pretty much any platform
d) its free, until you want to publish

http://unity3d.com/unity/download/

You can check out what it does here:
http://unity3d.com/gallery/

Unreal Dev Kit is also free but it's intense to learn so you shouldn't even bother unless you're doing a course.

You could use Game Maker but......those games are fairly crap.

What kind of game do you want to make? Sports game, RPG, FPS, adventure, side scroller, shoot em up, text based?
What kind of input do you plan on using - touchscreen, motion based, keyboard, controller, mouse?
What's your distribution - console, PC, phone, web?
What's your market - 10 and under, teens, 20-30, over 50, men, women, casual, hardcore?
What's your timeframe - 2 months, 6 months, 1 year, 3 years?
What's your budget - $10, $1000, $100,000?

Do you have any games courses you can do? Are there any games companies in your area? Are there any local indie studios in your area? Are there any game developer conventions or expos you can go to?

Look at it like a business and not a hobby. Of course, you could always sit at home being a mad programmer and make something like Minecraft on no budget with no real plan and end up making shitloads of money, but that doesn't happen too often so don't keep your hopes up.

Kosmic King
Well, I now own Game Maker (Mac version) and am planning on what I think will be an RPG. Only I'm planning on having a choice of either a boy or a girl as a playable character at the beginning (much like Pokemon; not the wholE game, just the gender selection). Any more advice?

Mist_haermm
Preproduction.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mist_haermm
facepalm

The best 'program' is education in the field. Don't be all 'I WAN 2 MAEK TEH GAMEZ LOLOLOL' if you have no idea what it takes to get started. Typically you would have a minimum of 2 people, an artist and a programmer, unless you're multi-skilled but you'll be overworked. Pick which one you want to be, and don't say you want to be a game designer because your profile says you're 17 and I don't think you understand the scope that a designer has to work at.

Pretending you know what you want, you either choose whether you want to make a 2D or 3D game. If its 3D, you'll need 3D software like Maya or 3DSMax. 2D you'll need Photoshop, Flash or any painting software. Expect to pay at least $5000 for the licenses to these by the way.

a) its easy to use

Unreal Dev Kit is also free but it's intense to learn so you shouldn't even bother unless you're doing a course.

What kind of game do you want to make? Sports game, RPG, FPS, adventure, side scroller, shoot em up, text based?
What kind of input do you plan on using - touchscreen, motion based, keyboard, controller, mouse?
What's your market - 10 and under, teens, 20-30, over 50, men, women, casual, hardcore?

Do you have any games courses you can do? Are there any games companies in your area? Are there any local indie studios in your area? Are there any game developer conventions or expos you can go to?

Look at it like a business and not a hobby. Of course, you could always sit at home being a mad programmer and make something like Minecraft on no budget with no real plan and end up making shitloads of money, but that doesn't happen too often so don't keep your hopes up.

Yeah, I was going to suggest the Unreal engine for a 3D game.

Kosmic King, You can get "started' here dude:

http://www.unreal.com/

justjakk
Mist is da MAN!!!

Mist_haermm
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yeah, I was going to suggest the Unreal engine for a 3D game.

Kosmic King, You can get "started' here dude:

http://www.unreal.com/

Unreal is a bit too hardcore though, he'd still have to learn 3D software to put models in there....and making an RPG is just a head**** for one person to do.

Originally posted by justjakk
Mist is da MAN!!!

I used to be like Kosmic King when I was 17, screwing around with Quake engine, cheap 3D software and whatnot, always wanted to make games but never knew the procedures to get there. Just finished my games course a couple months ago and it really opens your mind to how much paperwork is involved, especially in the early conceptual stages/design flow/interface/market/post production crap. It's expensive, time consuming and stressful, but it's probably the best job in the world.

dadudemon
Unreal is a bit too hardcore though, he'd still have to learn 3D software to put models in there....and making an RPG is just a head**** for one person to do.

I think he should get some "learnin'" in on multiple platforms, especially if he's serious about making games. What's better than being proficient in a gaming engine? Being proficient in multiple gaming engines. big grin He's more likely to land more jobs, that way, in the future...which is what his young mind should really be thinking about. I know I would change several things about my life if I could go back in time to when I was 17.

Mist_haermm
For what he wants to do, RPG Maker would be a good start. I think theres a free version floating around somewhere.
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

Mist_haermm
This is why I recommend Unity over UDK for a beginner:

Unity:
http://developer.apple.com/games/images/engines_unity_edit1.jpg

UDK:
http://www.bonesnap.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/blog.png

Much cleaner UI and easier to learn and get some prototypes up and running.

Bardock42
facepalm

a) its easy to use

You are a bit negative, mate. If he wants to make a game for fun and to learn some stuff Game Maker is totally fine, especially since he wants to make a Pokemon like game, that can definitely be made with Game Maker. He can use Gimp or another free program to make the Sprites if he wants. All he needs is some time and interest.

Sure you bring up good points, and I could understand your tone had he said "Guys I wanna make the net Bioshick in three day, I am alone, have no previous experience and my budget is 5 dollars".

If he actually enjoys making a small game, then he can just as well move on to other platforms, iPhone and Android are booming and a decent one man operation can develop for them. Flash is of course still an alternative. And if he wants to get into big projects you are right he might need to do some courses or work for a company.

Mist_haermm
Yeah, I realised that when I reread the thread before, I took his first post as sheer ignorance since it takes 2 seconds to type 'free game engine' in Google, but I just wrote 'Preproduction' for my other response instead of tearing him a new one again. Planning takes up most of the time, hell I'm spending most of this year on preproduction and prototyping before even getting into the detail work, and this is all just for an iPhone game.

I'm all for him making games, just have to understand that it's hard work, long hours and at the end of it you'll probably have something that you're proud of but a bunch of other people hate and are gonna tear you down over it.

ADarksideJedi
You should make a video game about the members of the Kmc and separted them into the bad guys and the good guys.FYI I want to be a bad guy!lol

Sappho
Originally posted by StarCraft2
haha no replies until...I showed up/I did
exactly. shit would kinda piss me off if i said it and someone got money of it lol

Leo.M

Get yourself a mac and start making an app. Apple apps is where the money is now. wink

StarCraft2
I have a video character game idea.

A man who can live forever (unless killed)
he wields 2x gladius and use his kickboxing skills to do combos like so coQf1i5nyF0

He has black hair african american. who doesnt speak/grunt/make sounds when he fights.

his story is he is a mercenary who assassinates people for money. He sneaks in an enemy base stealthly like solid snake. and if he gets surrounded he unleashes hell on them sentries like the video

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.