Full remake of Halo: Combat Evolved coming this year

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ridley_Prime
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/04/halo-combat-evolved-hd/

erm Because it's not Bungie though, I'm much less interested, but hope it's still good at least; a remake of this could be great if done right.

Phanteros
Yeah I am so excited sarcasm/

I heard the next halo is going to take place in modern times.

General_Iroh
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/04/halo-combat-evolved-hd/

erm Because it's not Bungie though, I'm much less interested, but hope it's still good at least; a remake of this could be great if done right.
It's pretty much going to be the same game...I mean how can they go wrong?

RE: Blaxican
Wow. AI find myself feeling... disappointed.

srankmissingnin
They've already been basically repackaging the same game for 10 years with slight mods, this just streamlining the effort...

DarkC
Depending on how the MP is this time around, I'll either rent or buy. Most likely the former though.

Scythe
I think it's cool, I never got around to playing the first.

Kazenji
I did'nt mind Timeshift but see how this one goes.

Darth Piggott
Originally posted by Phanteros
Yeah I am so excited sarcasm/

I agree
I don't think this game will be a popular one.

General_Iroh
I know everyone is excited to get to play the library again, oh good times, goooood times.

jinXed by JaNx
this is stupid

Zack Fair
No u.

So they just went for it. Meh. I hope microsoft doesn't do the CoD each year routine because that is going to be terrible.

Is it 343 working on it? Because if that is the case than hope is not lost because that team consists of the developers of Halo 1 and 2, so what better team to work on the remake?

Sucks though because it is too early =\ and not needed oh well.

Edit: So it isn't 343. MEEEEEH. I'll pass.

BackFire
A remake of this should be very simple. The flaws of the game are so enormous and blatant that any competent game company should be able to fix them. Update the graphics, make the Library so it's not one of the worst levels in any video game, and you have an objective improvement. Fix other problems like redundant textures and repeating areas and again, objective improvement.

343 is apparently keeping an eye on it during development to ensure quality, too.

-Pr-
Less corridors.

Smasandian
I actually don't mind this idea.

It's been over 10 years so why not?

If they implement the changes Backfire discussed, I have no problem with it.

Hell, I would love for Valve to remake the original Half Life.

S_D_J
make all the levels just like the library

that's a winner right there

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Smasandian

It's been over 10 years so why not?

because video games shouldn't be remade especially when it's still an active franchise.

Smasandian
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
because video games shouldn't be remade especially when it's still an active franchise.

Why not?

I think games are the right media for them to be remade. It's been over ten years and after that amount of time, a developer could easily remove the faults and redo the graphics for people who haven't played it or hardcore fans.

zeroking24
dude thats going to be wicked i cant wait

General_Iroh
Why not?

I think games are the right media for them to be remade. It's been over ten years and after that amount of time, a developer could easily remove the faults and redo the graphics for people who haven't played it or hardcore fans.
Yeah, I would buy Metal Gear 1, 2 and solid in a heartbeat if they ever redid them. I have no problem with games being remade.

jinXed by JaNx
Why not?

I don't disagree but i think it's unnecessary to remake a game when the story is for all intent and purposes still being told. To me it would be like remaking the first Harry Potter film when the last one is still yet to be released. I know the story technically ended with 3 but i'm sure, regardless of Bungies involvement, there are many more to come. This sounds like nothing more than a quick and easy way to make a cheap buck. I could be wrong though, i will have to wait and see but short of resurrecting a franchise i just think the time, money and energy should be put into creating new gaming experiences rather than rehashing something that we've already played.

Smasandian
The story is over.

I do agree that a remake looks like a cheap cash grab but in the end, people make the decision to buy a game.

jinXed by JaNx
Well the Halo story but not necessarily the Master Chief story.

Oh yeah, of course people are going to buy it...,supply and demand i suppose but that doesn't mean you don't have to sacrifice integrity. I wouldn't mind as much if this were a project that came at least a few years after Reach.

Zack Fair
Integrity what? This is Microsoft we are talking about.

Zack Fair
42e4LPsv5Mw

General G
For whomever said that Halo has been releasing pretty much the same game for the past ten years...consider this:

Halo has 4 main titles and then ODST as a side-project (but still for the price of a full retail game. Eff that) and also Halo Wars (I sincerely hope that you are not considering Halo Wars to be the same as the other five...), right?
I would argue that Halo 1, 2, 3, and ODST can be considered the same game, I COULD argue it, but I wouldn't, though I can see why people would say that. Halo Reach, however, to ME was almost a totally new game, it didn't feel like Halo at all, yet felt very familiar.

Call of Duty, on the other hand, is literally releasing the exact same game every year! The ONLY reason I bought Black Ops was because it was $15 for a couple days at Gamestop. I recently went back and played CoD: Finest Hour (the first CoD on the consoles), just for kicks, because I LOVED the final mission of that game for some reason. I realise while playing through it that, aside from the controls (they were original Xbox controls), it was almost the same game as World at War! Which was the last WWII game they made! And CoD literally just releases the same game. Every. Single. Year.

Halo ain't doin' that bad. If only Halo were multi-platform, it seems to be the only series capable of taking down what CoD has become.

Zack Fair
PS3 fanboys wouldn't cut Halo slack.

CoD will pass sooner than you might think. We just have to endure what is left of CoD.

Smasandian
I think Modern Warefare 3 might be the turning point for that franchise when it comes to over saturation.

The only thing I would say is that Call of Duty games are well developed. They aren't bad quality games in any means. When you get a CoD game, you know that your getting top quality development.

You can also include the Zelda franchise in the same category.

KMCuserslayer
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
They've already been basically repackaging the same game for 10 years with slight mods, this just streamlining the effort... Um..ever play Call of Duty? Or Ratchet and Clank? Or Tekken?

General G
Originally posted by Zack Fair
PS3 fanboys wouldn't cut Halo slack.

CoD will pass sooner than you might think. We just have to endure what is left of CoD.

I'm thinking next year's will be the last big]/i] one...

I think Modern Warefare 3 might be the turning point for that franchise when it comes to over saturation.

The only thing I would say is that Call of Duty games are well developed. They aren't bad quality games in any means. When you get a CoD game, you know that your getting top quality development.

You can also include the Zelda franchise in the same category.

Why does MW3 look any different? The campaign trailer looked sick, which is why I'm gonna rent it, but that's all I'm doing with it.

And they're "top quality" games because Modern Warfare was their their multiplayer hit and just repackaged the multiplayer with the slightest changes.

I've learned to expect only top notch from Halo, Bungie puts a lot of time and effort into their games and their community, and it really shows.

Smasandian
Huh?

I was agreeing with you. When I meant turning point, I meant that I think Modern Warfare 3 will be the last hurrah before the popularity starts to go down.

Quality development doesn't necessarily mean that the game is new and different than previous versions. It just means that the games are very well designed. They are fun, exciting and the MP is top notch. It's not new what so ever but there is a reason why people buy them like crazy. It's because the game is always designed well.

Bungie does put time and effort into their games. Just as much as Infinity Ward. You cannot deny that IW doesn't treat their franchise with respect.

I think people forget that Call of Duty was WW2 shooter before MW came out.

Zack Fair
l1UIf_tSTwI

General G
Huh?

I was agreeing with you. When I meant turning point, I meant that I think Modern Warfare 3 will be the last hurrah before the popularity starts to go down.

Quality development doesn't necessarily mean that the game is new and different than previous versions. It just means that the games are very well designed. They are fun, exciting and the MP is top notch. It's not new what so ever but there is a reason why people buy them like crazy. It's because the game is always designed well.

Bungie does put time and effort into their games. Just as much as Infinity Ward. You cannot deny that IW doesn't treat their franchise with respect.

I think people forget that Call of Duty was WW2 shooter before MW came out.

Whoops, that's my bad, I read it wrong. Then I did just reiterate what you said.

And no, I don't deny the time and effort that IW puts into their games, it's why I've put every CoD game so far. There's never been something quite like a CoD campaign, and they do it all without having a "normal" cinematic.

I'd personally say they made the best WWII shooter back in the day. That may be somewhat biased of me, though, being I was stuck with console shooters and I couldn't stand MoH.

I love the switching back and forth button, I'm gonna have a lot of fun with that.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by General G

I love the switching back and forth button, I'm gonna have a lot of fun with that.

thumb up

Smasandian
Originally posted by General G
Whoops, that's my bad, I read it wrong. Then I did just reiterate what you said.

And no, I don't deny the time and effort that IW puts into their games, it's why I've put every CoD game so far. There's never been something quite like a CoD campaign, and they do it all without having a "normal" cinematic.

I'd personally say they made the best WWII shooter back in the day. That may be somewhat biased of me, though, being I was stuck with console shooters and I couldn't stand MoH.

Well the interesting thing is that Call of Duty came about because of MoH: Allied Assault. It's essentially the same game.

General G
Well the interesting thing is that Call of Duty came about because of MoH: Allied Assault. It's essentially the same game.

Ack! And yet so very different! Watching videos and whatnot, yes, they seem like the same game, I agree. It's when I start playing a MoH game that makes it so weird. They play differently, they move differently, they shoot differently.

I went back and played through MoH: Frontline(?the one where you storm the beaches of Normandy?) again because I thought the same thing a couple months ago, that they're basically the same game and it was probably just my imagination when I first played it that they were so different. Yet when I played it, I barely got through the first two missions. It's probably just me, though.

Zack Fair
xQ3OZfPsP2E

If only Halo Legends had action like that. Leave it to fans to make better work than actual studios.

Nemesis X
Man Rooster Teeth needs to make a Halo game. That or make the cutscenes for 343's Halo 4. Either of these need to happen.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Man Rooster Teeth needs to make a Halo game. That or make the cutscenes for 343's Halo 4. Either of these need to happen.

thumb up Agreed. They have come a long way.

General G
I could not agree more. Rooster Teeth has definitely set the bar for Machinima and have come out with episodes that rival many cinematics.

I would seriously pay extra if they made the cinematics. They know what Halo fans want.

§P0oONY
Yawn... Talk about lazy.

I understand remaking a game that is 20~years old... As it introduces it to a new audience... but this? Who the **** hasn't played the original? It hasn't even aged badly.

Looks like they're looking for a quick buck.

I will not be buying this.

JayDaDon
xQ3OZfPsP2E

If only Halo Legends had action like that. Leave it to fans to make better work than actual studios.

Woooooow. These dudes must have gone to monty oum's school of machinima. These guys have come so far from last season's crazy action scenes. Red v blue really has evolved into a brand new beast.

General G
Anybody here listen to their podcasts? They're kinda amazing.

Zack Fair
F3FgK6OSyzs

Zack Fair
qjCMFapHB4Y&NR

New terminals in Combat Evolved mmm

Can't wait to see the rest of them.

Apparentely humans fought and lost to the forerunners long ago. The humans had technology on par, if not better than the forurunners.

hmm

jalek moye
qjCMFapHB4Y&NR

New terminals in Combat Evolved mmm

Can't wait to see the rest of them.

Apparentely humans fought and lost to the forerunners long ago. The humans had technology on par, if not better than the forurunners.

hmm

Wait what? So in halo verse Humans used to be uber high tech predating cavemen era of tech?

Zack Fair
Apparentely humans were up there with the forerunners, if not even more high tech. The humans found the cure to the flood, and beat them. They began expanding and invaded a flood world and a war broke out between them. The humans lost because their previous battle with the flood weakened them. Upon victory the forerunners devolved humans back to primates and put them on Earth.

All this was mentioned in Halo Fest I believe.

Nemesis X
Halo Anniversary gets Kinect:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/15/grenade-take-a-look-at-halo-anniversarys-kinect-functionali/

Kazenji
A new webseries starts in January

6mN6XnSTO2Y

Scythe
All this was mentioned in Halo Fest I believe.

And all that was basically covered in the Cryptum and Primordium novels.

-Pr-
So has anyone played this? Is it any good? Anything new/different?

I still have my pc copy of Halo, so I'm wondering if this is worth even looking at.

Ridley_Prime
Was planning on skipping out on this and just waiting for Halo 4 originally, but now I'm leaning more towards getting this by the end of the year, more-so than Gears 3 anyway. Anniversary's achievements look a lot easier than I thought they'd be too, and are mostly all campaign related (someone change the title of this thread to Halo Anniversary D: ).

I'm curious about the differences this has from the original as well myself though (aside from like graphics), before I fully decide on getting this.

Barker
I'm on the fence for this.. I get such a huge blast of nostalgia from this, it almost hurts. Playing multiplayer Halo (and Halo 2) back in the day in middle school.. damn good times.

Scythe
Originally posted by -Pr-
So has anyone played this? Is it any good? Anything new/different?

I still have my pc copy of Halo, so I'm wondering if this is worth even looking at. Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Was planning on skipping out on this and just waiting for Halo 4 originally, but now I'm leaning more towards getting this by the end of the year, more-so than Gears 3 anyway. Anniversary's achievements look a lot easier than I thought they'd be too, and are mostly all campaign related (someone change the title of this thread to Halo Anniversary D: ).

I'm curious about the differences this has from the original as well myself though (aside from like graphics), before I fully decide on getting this.

The main differences I can see are that they added skulls which are unlocked as you find them like on H3, and there are these terminals you can access to see these really awesome cutscenes regarding the forerunners and guilty spark creating the first Halo.

AsbestosFlaygon
They need to move on.

JayDaDon
Originally posted by JayDaDon
Woooooow. These dudes must have gone to monty oum's school of machinima. These guys have come so far from last season's crazy action scenes. Red v blue really has evolved into a brand new beast.

Just found out Monty oum DOES work at rooster teeth. That explains a whole lot!

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Scythe
The main differences I can see are that they added skulls which are unlocked as you find them like on H3, and there are these terminals you can access to see these really awesome cutscenes regarding the forerunners and guilty spark creating the first Halo.
Oh, well I guess that's a decent enough change. A bit more than I was expecting from them anyway. Skull and terminal hunting can always be fun at first, especially if the latter leads to decent cutscenes, unlike the terminals in Halo 3 which were kinda boring to look at, achievement aside.

Originally posted by JayDaDon
Just found out Monty oum DOES work at rooster teeth. That explains a whole lot!
Hey, I remember that guy. The one who made the Haloid and Dead Fantasy videos right? Him working at rooster teeth explains everything then.

Scythe
Oh, well I guess that's a decent enough change. A bit more than I was expecting from them anyway. Skull and terminal hunting can always be fun at first, especially if the latter leads to decent cutscenes, unlike the terminals in Halo 3 which were kinda boring to look at, achievement aside.

Some of the skulls are a b*tch to get. Unless you're good at grenade jumping.

The terminals are done extremely well, and they unlock a shitload of Cr. apparently on Halo Waypoint.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
They need to move on.

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/michael_scott/Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Scythe
Some of the skulls are a b*tch to get. Unless you're good at grenade jumping.

The terminals are done extremely well, and they unlock a shitload of Cr. apparently on Halo Waypoint.
I remember one of the skulls in The Ark level on Halo 3 being kind of a ***** to get that more or less required grenade jumping. Hated that, but nothing a little teamwork with a friend or two couldn't accomplish. Guess I'll look forward to getting those on Anniversary with some people in the future as well. stick out tongue

And that's good to hear about the terminals. Nice improvement if I do say so myself.

AsbestosFlaygon

Wat wat
in the butt?

Scythe
I remember one of the skulls in The Ark level on Halo 3 being kind of a ***** to get that more or less required grenade jumping. Hated that, but nothing a little teamwork with a friend or two couldn't accomplish. Guess I'll look forward to getting those on Anniversary with some people in the future as well. stick out tongue

And that's good to hear about the terminals. Nice improvement if I do say so myself.

You're gonna enjoy it for quite abit. Not a long time, but not a short thrill either. Replaying levels with the bandanna and grunt funeral skull on together, throw in the Grunt B-Day skull, enjoyable to the max..

Zack Fair
I wouldn't get this game over Gears 3. Hopefully I will get to buy this before the end of xmas.

Zack Fair
Playing my little nephew's copy of the game and managed to snatch the free anniversary map pack DLC that comes with the game. Pretty neat. Gotta say I didn't miss the ****ing flood and this game just reminds me how much more fun and enjoyable the franchise is without them. Here is to never, ever, having to experience the flood again.

Ridley_Prime
Nice. I think the Flood were worse to fight in Halo 3 than in the original/this remake though. Don't remember how they were in the 2nd game exactly. But yeah, the lack of them was partly what I liked about some things like Reach which didn't have them.

*even more embarrassed at the outdatedness of this thread title now*

socool8520
Originally posted by General_Iroh
Yeah, I would buy Metal Gear 1, 2 and solid in a heartbeat if they ever redid them. I have no problem with games being remade.

I would love for the original MGS, from the nintendo up to the PS1, to be remade with the graphics and gameplay of MGS4.

General G
Nice. I think the Flood were worse to fight in Halo 3 than in the original/this remake though. Don't remember how they were in the 2nd game exactly. But yeah, the lack of them was partly what I liked about some things like Reach which didn't have them.

*even more embarrassed at the outdatedness of this thread title now*

I personally remember them being the most difficult in Halo 2. I found they were easier in 3, actually lol In 3, you could melee them and it would actually do sufficient damage to them. In 1 and 2, melee was useless and the only decent guns against them in 2 were the Energy Sword (I know, not a gun), shotgun, rocket launcher (all round handy weapon), and the BR if you had good aim.

Zack Fair
Agreed. Cortana was a ***** to beat though.

Ridley_Prime
Oh gawd. That level's so bad it should be a taboo subject on sites everywhere.

And I never really thought about meleeing the Flood before, to be honest. Seemed like a suicide idea to me, since I normally play legendary nowadays.

Zack Fair

And I never really thought about meleeing the Flood before, to be honest. Seemed like a suicide idea to me, since I normally play legendary nowadays.

Yeah. Flood and their one hit instant kill tentacles over

RE: Blaxican
Cortana wasn't hard so much as just tedious, imo. To spend like 15 minutes wandering through this repetitive big yellow/puke green blob level killing repetitive yellow/puke green with random horrible forced slow-mo gravemind scenes, just to have to go ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE BEGINNING. It was horrible.

Zack Fair
It is the definition of Bungie's level design flaws.

General G

That's actually where I started meleeing the Flood wa son legendary lol I would consistently run out of ammo or need to reload while being overwhelmed by the Flood. So...what do I do? MELEE. The results were very unsatisfactory sad

Zack Fair
crylaugh

Zack Fair
I am liking Anniversary's terminals

General G
Agreed. The terminals are very cool.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.