Another Crappy-American-Cops Thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81300548/

Summary: four officers assault a young man who had clearly given up.

The news story does it much better justice so please watch that before considering my questions at the bottom.

I'm a "cop supporter" in most circumstances. A lot of the videos on the internet that pretend to be police brutality are not really that. However, this one is.

The things that pissed me off the most about this situation were:

1. Dropping the charge from assault to "official oppression." I'm of the opinion that it should be attempted murder. You don't head stomp someone that many times and not know that death or brain damage could result. I think police should be charged one step higher when they do something wrong simply because of their position in society.
2. The bastard kicking the young dude in the nuts, from behind, towards the end of the brutality.
3. The Mayor and DA trying to keep this video under wraps from the public eye.

I must say, though, that I'm glad Channel 13 put up the Mayor's full comments on the situation. Considering they should have blackballed him for being a douche, that was admirable. Good on them for not getting into a pissing match and, instead, keeping cool heads to at least give the mayor his quote.

Anyway, let us discuss the situation: What should happen to the officers, is what they are charged with fair, and were the actions of the Federal Judge, DA, and Mayor proper?

Rogue Jedi
They should all be fired.

But I'm wondering what happened up to the kid being clipped by the car. When he fell, man, they were ON him, like he was a big threat. One even had his gun out. There were 6 officers there, a lot of shit had to have gone on to warrant 6 officers on the scene. Also, I count 4 officers wearing bulletproof vests. HPD officers do not cruise around with their vests on the outside like that. Those officers, they donned their vests AFTER arriving on the scene. Something had to have happened to make them don their vests after the fact.

And on a side note, at 1:17, what's with the two cops running away?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
They should all be fired.

Agreed.

Someone should have interrupted their hate crime and asked him: "U mad, bros?" Then tased them all.

Rogue Jedi
I edited.

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
Agreed.

Someone should have interrupted their hate crime and asked him: "U mad, bros?" Then tased them all.

I've always found challanging an officer's authority to be the best way to de-escalate a situation with them, yes...

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
I've always found challanging an officer's authority to be the best way to de-escalate a situation with them, yes...

Have you ever been abused by law enforcement? Sounds like you have.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi

But I'm wondering what happened up to the kid being clipped by the car. When he fell, man, they were ON him, like he was a big threat. One even had his gun out. There were 6 officers there, a lot of shit had to have gone on to warrant 6 officers on the scene. Also, I count 4 officers wearing bulletproof vests. HPD officers do not cruise around with their vests on the outside like that. Those officers, they donned their vests AFTER arriving on the scene. Something had to have happened to make them don their vests after the fact.

And on a side note, at 1:17, what's with the two cops running away?

inimalist
Have you ever been abused by law enforcement? Sounds like you have.

define "abused", though no, I wouldn't use that term

The brother of a friend of mine was hospitalized once while walking home drunk. I imagine he was being lippy, but the story that was told (by his dad who was handcuffed in the car when the beating happened) was that the police wanted to "get him back" because he had a charge (and had served his debt to society) for assaulting an officer.

I have had to deal with cops before, while they were trampling my rights, and my conclusion was shut up or get beat. /shrug

Mindset
Read the comments on the video; America is being overrun by bigoted idiots.

jaden101
Probably the gayest police brutality video ever. Every single one of those kicks and punches look weak and pathetic.

They should work on that for next time they're beating a suspect.

Deja~vu
The Cops, Police Department, Mayor, DA and the City should be sued! I'm sure this will go to trial and there will be a very large settlement. lol

The last man speaking made a good point. "They are acting like criminals instead of police officers."

And people wonder why some people have had it up to high heaven and start picking off cops. Heck, they lie too! They try to make things out much worse than they really are.

Symmetric Chaos
Minimum they should all be fired.

The news guy says that several cops were returned to duty "against the city's will". Who filed the charges then?

inimalist
Originally posted by Deja~vu
And people wonder why some people have had it up to high heaven and start picking off cops. Heck, they lie too! They try to make things out much worse than they really are.

are you implying that this behaviour from a few individual officers justifies people in their violence against other individual police officers?

Deja~vu
are you implying that this behaviour from a few individual officers justifies people in their violence against other individual police officers? I never said that. I said, "and people wonder why....."

That kind of thing happens all the time here. Many cases don't make it to court because of many reasons. Sometimes they don't even survive jail. Every wonder why?? Hmm

It also takes money to hire a lawyer and it's hard enough when you have the cops, DA, guards and judges all looking away...or making it go away. Evidence just disappears. You have witnesses in the cell besides yours? Well their word(s) aren't worth much now are they. They get torn apart in court.

inimalist
Originally posted by Deja~vu
I never said that. I said, "and people wonder why....."

yes, implying that there is some obvious reason that smart people would be aware of

I certainly would wonder why, as I dont see how police brutality makes you want to be brutal to the police. I don't understand how people can think saying "they are evil, lets do the exact same evil we accuse them of to them, because that will be good" makes even an iota of sense

Nephthys
They should be arrested. erm

How the **** do you get away with stomping on someones head or having 5-6 guys beat up a surrendered dude without charges being brought against you? I don't care if they're cops, thats assault.

King Kandy
My home town's police are soooo tazer happy. There's almost no accountability process so they can get away with whatever.

Grate the Vraya
**** the police, **** the police, **** em.

inimalist
Originally posted by King Kandy
My home town's police are soooo tazer happy. There's almost no accountability process so they can get away with whatever.

a leaked RCMP document said that Canadian police forces had begun relying on tazers as opposed to actually taking control of situations, basically falling back on assualting someone with a weapon, as opposed to being good at their job, if they ran into any trouble.

King Kandy
a leaked RCMP document said that Canadian police forces had begun relying on tazers as opposed to actually taking control of situations, basically falling back on assualting someone with a weapon, as opposed to being good at their job, if they ran into any trouble.
Its even worse here though, because they taze people who are literally doing nothing. Here's the worst recent example:

Chinese exchange student rents apartment. Goes into his room, and the superintendent forgot that he'd sold that room, and thought someone broke in. Cops arrived, busted into the room, the chinese student hides under the blanket. They yell for him to get out... buuuut, he doesn't speak english and doesn't know what they're saying. So gets tazed for "resisting arrest".

Deja~vu
yes, implying that there is some obvious reason that smart people would be aware of

I certainly would wonder why, as I dont see how police brutality makes you want to be brutal to the police. I don't understand how people can think saying "they are evil, lets do the exact same evil we accuse them of to them, because that will be good" makes even an iota of sense People that are constantly harassed, falsely convicted, set up, beaten, pulled over for no reason, thrown in jail and can't get out because they cannot afford a lawyer in a very depressed area where the police have become power hungry and get away with it does NOT sit well with many poor people. People that have nothing to lose because of no jobs would rather take their rage out where it is directed at them. Stressful people do stressful things. When you have nothing to lose, then people no longer care. If you're going to go to prison for unfair reasons, might as well take some out with you.

I never said it was right, but I can understand the mentality. People knowing that the police are setting them up in the system and it's a horrible system where the food in some county jails have mold on the bread, are over crowed and baloney sandwiches 3 times a day for little incidents, are way out of line. People understand that it's all about pulling money into the system. Their aim is against more ethnic people and the poor (can't afford a lawyer) . Knowing that this poor excuse of a system knows that it will most certainly win the case and jails/prisons get kick back from the state, which are overly populated, conditions are poor and people are left to die without medications that aren't given to them in a timely manner.

Iike I've said in a preivious thread, I'm just waiting for the riots to start and I hope to be moved away from here when that happens.

Darth Jello
This reminds me of the Jim Jim Chasse Case.

RE: Blaxican
Who cares?

Mindset
Jesus

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindset

Ebaumsworld "commenters" are notorious on the internet as being nothing but trolls. Seriously. It's like...half of them come from the KKK and the other half from 4Chan. (As if those two were mutually eclusive. ZIIING! :laughsmile

The brother of a friend of mine was hospitalized once while walking home drunk. I imagine he was being lippy, but the story that was told (by his dad who was handcuffed in the car when the beating happened) was that the police wanted to "get him back" because he had a charge (and had served his debt to society) for assaulting an officer.

I have had to deal with cops before, while they were trampling my rights, and my conclusion was shut up or get beat. /shrug

Dude, that last part in your post. So you REALLY HAVE been abused. That sounds like a story I'd like to hear, sometime.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindset

Ebaumsworld "commenters" are notorious on the internet as being nothing but trolls. Seriously. It's like...half of them come from the KKK and the other half from 4Chan. (As if those two were mutually exclusive. ZIIING! :laughsmile You're looking at the worst of the worst on ebaumsworld commentators.

Dude, that last part in your post. So you REALLY HAVE been abused. That sounds like a story I'd like to hear, sometime.

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Who cares?

To whom was that directed? The police case or to Jello? If to the thread, the people that care are the ones that posted in this thread, seriously...and the entire city of Houston.

If it was to Jello, I care. I liked his comment. It really DOES remind me of that case. However, James Chasse was holding a knife so this case (the one I posted about in the thread) is even worse as the dude had clearly given up and "assumed the position." Regardless, you can abuse my threads as much as you want because I don't want your size 17 shoe to kick my ass. sad

dadudemon
Here's a better link to Chris Holley's (the teen boy) court case:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7745853

Apparently, the young man was only charged with delinquent burglary. Not armed robbery, not assault on law enforcement, and so forth. This means that he was:

A: wrong place and the wrong time when the police showed up.
B: Guilty, but he obviously had no weapon, did not assault anyone, but just ran.

No matter the case, the beat down was not warranted. There is not "additional" information about Chris Holley that somehow makes the police officers slightly justified in their actions.

Darth Jello
Chasse didn't have a knife. Here's a review of the case. James "Jim Jim" Chasse was a Portland area musician and fanzine journalist famous in the PDX Punk Rock scene who was diagnosed with Schizophrenia at age 18, institutionalized, and immortalized in the the Wipers' songs Alien Boy and No One Wants an Alien off the Is This Real? and Over The Edge albums (both available on the recent box set).
He was released and on medication. He was confronted by police for suspected public urination and vagrancy despite carrying an ID with his address on it. He reportedly ran and was chased by as many as 10 police officers who tased, tackled and beat him to the point where he had 26 broken bones, two punctured lungs, and a ruptured pericardium. He was cleared by on scene paramedics (despite bleeding blood and water from the mouth and chest, near shock, difficulty breathing, and protruding ribs) and was thrown in a holding cell where he screamed and bled out for 45 minutes until he was finally checked out and died en route to the hospital. No one was ever charged or disciplined but a public apology was issued and a supposed policy by the department to "purge the mentally ill and indigent" was leaked to the local media.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Chasse didn't have a knife. Here's a review of the case. James "Jim Jim" Chasse was a Portland area musician and fanzine journalist famous in the PDX Punk Rock scene who was diagnosed with Schizophrenia at age 18, institutionalized, and immortalized in the the Wipers' songs Alien Boy and No One Wants an Alien off the Is This Real? and Over The Edge albums (both available on the recent box set).
He was released and on medication. He was confronted by police for suspected public urination and vagrancy despite carrying an ID with his address on it. He reportedly ran and was chased by as many as 10 police officers who tased, tackled and beat him to the point where he had 26 broken bones, two punctured lungs, and a ruptured pericardium. He was cleared by on scene paramedics (despite bleeding blood and water from the mouth and chest, near shock, difficulty breathing, and protruding ribs) and was thrown in a holding cell where he screamed and bled out for 45 minutes until he was finally checked out and died en route to the hospital. No one was ever charged or disciplined but a public apology was issued and a supposed policy by the department to "purge the mentally ill and indigent" was leaked to the local media.

I'm aware of the story but I could have sworn he had a knife on him.

Darth Jello
I'm aware of the story but I could have sworn he had a knife on him. There's a similar incident that happened in Tennessee years earlier. That guy had a knife.

you get thorns
Yes they are all abusive. Yes it is a culture/learned behavior. No it will never stop. Yes it has always been there. Not a lot to discuss unless you have proof then they will weed out those they are force to and go on with business as usual.

ADarksideJedi
The cop should had been fired but sometimes we don't know the whole story.And being for cops not againist them it is hard to side.

Darth Jello
Well we live in a society where Jon Burge can spend 31 years torturing suspects to death and false confession, fill death row with the falsely imprisoned and then get only 4 and a half years in prison on a technicality.

Quiero Mota
Its even worse here though, because they taze people who are literally doing nothing. Here's the worst recent example:

Chinese exchange student rents apartment. Goes into his room, and the superintendent forgot that he'd sold that room, and thought someone broke in. Cops arrived, busted into the room, the chinese student hides under the blanket. They yell for him to get out... buuuut, he doesn't speak english and doesn't know what they're saying. So gets tazed for "resisting arrest".

For all the cops know, the kid could have had a gun.

Punk should have learned English prior to going to an English-speaking country.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
we don't know the whole story

The hit him with a car and kicked repeatedly after he gave himself up. We can see it all in the video.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
For all the cops know, the kid could have had a gun.

Punk should have learned English prior to going to an English-speaking country.
By that logic, you're basically approving the fact that I could sic cops on anyone I know who doesn't speak english, and absolutely have no consequences. Don't like your immigrant neighbors? Just dial 911, its tazing time.

Such an enlightened perspective. I will abandon all of my plans for world travel now, as you have shown me the true fallacy of touring in a country without being fluent. That definitely seems like the kind of globally-minded thinking that has done such brilliant things for US policy.

dadudemon
Don't like your immigrant neighbors? Just dial 911, its tazing time.

laughing laughing laughing

That sounds like a Power Rangers tag line. That's the call of fat egotistical cops, everywhere.

Such an enlightened perspective. I will abandon all of my plans for world travel now, as you have shown me the true fallacy of touring in a country without being fluent. That definitely seems like the kind of globally-minded thinking that has done such brilliant things for US policy.

Dang, dude, you're totally unleashing on that dude. Granted, I do not think the tasing was warranted against the Chinese dude. If I were the cops in that situation, I'd certainly have my "cop training senses" on because I couldn't see the perp's hands.

Quiero Mota
By that logic, you're basically approving the fact that I could sic cops on anyone I know who doesn't speak english, and absolutely have no consequences. Don't like your immigrant neighbors? Just dial 911, its tazing time.

No, I'm not endorsing a trigger-happy Redneck mentality. I'm an immigrant, and I learned English, so that kid should have too.

Besides, the police were responding to a break-in...so then they open the door to find some guy hiding under a blanket. He could have been armed.

dadudemon
Besides, the police were responding to a break-in...so then they open the door to find some guy hiding under a blanket. He could have been armed.

I think it's an iffy situation. I do not know what the best course of action is: he could have been aiming for the police under the blanket.

The cops are supposed to make a split-second decision in which their life or the life of their coworkers could end abruptly. What was the best course of action? I think standing outside the room, out of the line of sight of a potential gun firing, while watching him with one of those curved mirror thingies that swat teams use. laughing

That's really the only and best way to properly handle it. That's not an option, though, for 99% of cops out there. Also, the young man DID know some English.

King Kandy, what should the police of done?

Deja~vu
No, I'm not endorsing a trigger-happy Redneck mentality. I'm an immigrant, and I learned English, so that kid should have too.

Besides, the police were responding to a break-in...so then they open the door to find some guy hiding under a blanket. He could have been armed. We have police protocol and procedure for a reason and they weren't using it. They were having happy time. NOT GOOD!

I think those cops were on crack from the last bust. They were on auto-pilot. This was not a playground, there were no jungle gyms and they were not 9.

Darth Jello
Hey, how about deterrence. Treat corrupt and violent police officers the way corrupt public officials (not to mention bankers, CEOs, lobbyists, executives, etc.) SHOULD be treated. Seize their assets including family gifts, give them a very speedy and public trial and two appeals upon a guilty verdict. Then after two years, take them out back, line them up against the wall, and shoot them. Watch how quickly police brutality ends.

Deja~vu
Then we could throw them in a colosseum full of spectators while they're on acid and loud music. I'd like that. Hehe

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The hit him with a car and kicked repeatedly after he gave himself up. We can see it all in the video.

I know that but we don't know what the man was thinking while this was happening.

inimalist
I know that but we don't know what the man was thinking while this was happening.

what could he have been thinking to justify being beat while on the ground?

Bardock42
I know that but we don't know what the man was thinking while this was happening. Originally posted by inimalist

Maybe he thought something like "Man, Michael Bay really is a cinematic genius", what is a psychic Policeman supposed to do?

Not guilty!

Grate the Vraya
I think that all cities with records of police brutality need to make their employment policies a LOT stricter. Keep the police officers on their toes, and maybe the brutality will end.

inimalist
Originally posted by Bardock42
Maybe he thought something like "Man, Michael Bay really is a cinematic genius", what is a psychic Policeman supposed to do?

Not guilty!

wait, nobody mentioned these were psychic policemen

jeez, sorry I even brought it up, put my foot in my mouth there

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Grate the Vraya
I think that all cities with records of police brutality need to make their employment policies a LOT stricter. Keep the police officers on their toes, and maybe the brutality will end. What they need to do is have them take a psychological evaluation as part of their employment requirements. There are many ill people out there with power issues and many of them are in high places or places of authority..

Darth Jello
I think that all cities with records of police brutality need to make their employment policies a LOT stricter. Keep the police officers on their toes, and maybe the brutality will end. And what better way to do that than by treating corrupt cops the same way we treat traitors and putting capital punishment on the table?

Bardock42
And what better way to do that than by treating corrupt cops the same way we treat traitors and putting capital punishment on the table?

Hmm, perhaps by putting less severe punishments on the table.

you get thorns
I think that all cities with records of police brutality need to make their employment policies a LOT stricter. Keep the police officers on their toes, and maybe the brutality will end.

All large cities have always had this problem and always will. We are discussing human nature and conditioned thinking.

Symmetric Chaos
Hmm, perhaps by putting less severe punishments on the table.

What's lighter than saying "Don't do that... please?"

Bardock42
What's lighter than saying "Don't do that... please?"

Oh I'm with you, somewhere between "Don't do that...please" and "If you do it we'll ****ing executed you, mother****er" seems reasonable.

Darth Jello
Oh I'm with you, somewhere between "Don't do that...please" and "If you do it we'll ****ing executed you, mother****er" seems reasonable. Hey you could always call it a "severance" package, if you get my meaning.

Capital punishment is like anal sex. A lot of people are against it or don't like it, people want to ban it, there's some debates about whether it's painful or not, but when you do it right, it's great and everybody's happy.

Bardock42
Hey you could always call it a "severance" package, if you get my meaning.

*high five*

Capital punishment is like anal sex. A lot of people are against it or don't like it, people want to ban it, there's some debates about whether it's painful or not, but when you do it right, it's great and everybody's happy.

Everybody alive anyways.

Symmetric Chaos
Oh I'm with you, somewhere between "Don't do that...please" and "If you do it we'll ****ing executed you, mother****er" seems reasonable.

I thought you meant lighter than we already had.

Bardock42
I thought you meant lighter than we already had.

Yet I did not.

King Kandy

He wasn't an immigrant he was hear on a one-year student exchange... I don't think it is reasonable at all to demand all tourists learn english.

There was no break in. Literally the only thing he did "wrong" was not speaking english. Are you honestly supporting that the police can taze anyone they meet who doesn't speak english? This is a beyond absurd notion.

Other actions taken within the last couple years: tazing nonviolent protesters, tazing people who had already given up, tazing an autistic kid who was basically doing nothing at all. Its not like it was some mistake, the police take that as a default reaction to any situation they enter.

Grate the Vraya
Hey you could always call it a "severance" package, if you get my meaning.

Capital punishment is like anal sex. A lot of people are against it or don't like it, people want to ban it, there's some debates about whether it's painful or not, but when you do it right, it's great and everybody's happy. People want to ban anal sex? How?

Darth Jello
*high five*
I appreciate that. Few people can truly understand a good Robespierre reference.

Quiero Mota
He wasn't an immigrant he was hear on a one-year student exchange... I don't think it is reasonable at all to demand all tourists learn english.

There was no break in. Literally the only thing he did "wrong" was not speaking english. Are you honestly supporting that the police can taze anyone they meet who doesn't speak english? This is a beyond absurd notion.

Other actions taken within the last couple years: tazing nonviolent protesters, tazing people who had already given up, tazing an autistic kid who was basically doing nothing at all. Its not like it was some mistake, the police take that as a default reaction to any situation they enter.

I agree that tourists shouldn't have to learn English. If they're coming to America with a tour group for only a week to see Disney Land or the Grand Canyon, then yeah, there's really no need to study English. But that guy wasn't a tourist; he was on a 12-month exchange program. So he should have learned English (at least a passing, conversational amount) prior to coming here. How else would he have communicated with professors, counselors, advisors, or--not to mention--fellow students? I suppose he could have taken the route of many other foreign students who come to America to study, and only hang out with small groups that consist entirely of their fellow countrymen, all the while only speaking their language. (Which if you think about it, kills the whole purpose of visiting America in the first place.)

Regardless, the police weren't out-of-line. The man should have calmly surrendered and the situation would have been resolved without incedent. But instead he caused a scene by shrieking like a nutcase under a blanket in a different tongue, which caused reasonable concern to the officers, who then gave him some volts. And it was all due to a language barrier that could have been removed, had the kid bothered to learn a few words before applying for a visa. And I would say the same to any American kids considering studying abroad in a non-English speaking country: do yourself a favor and learn some of the local language. Ignorance of it can lead to a bar-fight, getting fleeced by a salesman, or getting tased by the five-o.

King Kandy
I agree that tourists shouldn't have to learn English. If they're coming to America with a tour group for only a week to see Disney Land or the Grand Canyon, then yeah, there's really no need to study English. But that guy wasn't a tourist; he was on a 12-month exchange program. So he should have learned English (at least a passing, conversational amount) prior to coming here. How else would he have communicated with professors, counselors, advisors, or--not to mention--fellow students? I suppose he could have taken the route of many other foreign students who come to America to study, and only hang out with small groups that consist entirely of their fellow countrymen, all the while only speaking their language. (Which if you think about it, kills the whole purpose of visiting America in the first place.)
They take classes on language and are expected to attain greater fluency over the course of their stay... not move in with a complete understand.

Regardless, the police weren't out-of-line. The man should have calmly surrendered and the situation would have been resolved without incedent. But instead he caused a scene by shrieking like a nutcase under a blanket in a different tongue, which caused reasonable concern to the officers, who then gave him some volts. And it was all due to a language barrier that could have been removed, had the kid bothered to learn a few words before applying for a visa. And I would say the same to any American kids considering studying abroad in a non-English speaking country: do yourself a favor and learn some of the local language. Ignorance of it can lead to a bar-fight, getting fleeced by a salesman, or getting tased by the five-o.
He did not "shriek like a nutcase" he did not make any sound at all, or cause a scene. You are literally making things up now to support your (stupid) case. He couldn't "surrender calmly" because he didn't know they were police.

Now answer my question: Do you honestly think the police should have unlimited power to taze people, simply because they don't speak english? English isn't even a legally manditory language in the US.

dadudemon
They take classes on language and are expected to attain greater fluency over the course of their stay... not move in with a complete understand.

I would take a guess and say that he knows how to say the following:

"Where is the bathroom?"

"Thank you."

"How much for an hour?"

Also, I asked a question about this case, earlier. How SHOULD it have been handled? I honestly do not know how it should have been handled.

King Kandy
I think the police should have made an effort to see if the threat was legitimate before even entering the room... you can't go into a crime scene and taze the first people you see and think that will go well. The guy made no signs of resistance other than not obeying the verbal commands, so tazing was way out of line.

dadudemon
I think the police should have made an effort to see if the threat was legitimate before even entering the room... you can't go into a crime scene and taze the first people you see and think that will go well. The guy made no signs of resistance other than not obeying the verbal commands, so tazing was way out of line.

I don't think it's that simple to address a breaking and entering while the "perp" is still on the premises.

I think it's an iffy situation. I do not know what the best course of action is: he could have been aiming for the police under the blanket.

Which is very important. He wasn't responding so what can the police assume?

This is what I thought the best and only way to handle it, was, but it's not really an option, as I pointed out:

The cops are supposed to make a split-second decision in which their life or the life of their coworkers could end abruptly. What was the best course of action? I think standing outside the room, out of the line of sight of a potential gun firing, while watching him with one of those curved mirror thingies that swat teams use. laughing

That's really the only and best way to properly handle it. That's not an option, though, for 99% of cops out there. Also, the young man DID know some English.

I guess you could say that the police shouldn't worry about being shot and should respond to breaking and entering calls while wearing their vest. They could have charged and grabbed the dude that was thought to be a burg. or a robber.

The funniest part of this whole thing is the boy was scared utterly shitless to the point of hiding under a blanket. That's similar to a small child hiding their eyes when they get scared. Pitiful, but funny.

Also, I do not mind this thread being taken off topic: as long as it focuses on the best or worst way to respond to a criminal situation and relates back to the thread topic.

King Kandy
Not to mention, growing up in china may not have given him a great attitude on the police.

ADarksideJedi

Who knows there is a side of the story I don't think we know too much about.

Darth Jello
Who knows there is a side of the story I don't think we know too much about. My god! This line of thinking is so compelling! Where were you during the Nurenberg trials?

inimalist
Who knows there is a side of the story I don't think we know too much about.

but my question is, what could their side of the story possibly be to justify beating a defenseless man? what could possibly be going through their head to make it ok?

Quiero Mota

And that guy apparently took no classes.

He did not "shriek like a nutcase" he did not make any sound at all, or cause a scene. You are literally making things up now to support your (stupid) case. He couldn't "surrender calmly" because he didn't know they were police.

He did actually. I remember when this story first broke, and I read various articles on the net. According to the Eugene Chief of Police Pete Kerns, Judd Warden (the officer who performed the tasing, and who was previously named Officer of the Year) said that words were exchanged, but obviously neither person understood the other. I'm not making shit up; I'm relaying what happened.

He didn't know they were cops? Well, maybe if he had bothered to peak from under the blanket, he might have seen the uniforms, badges and weapons.

Now answer my question: Do you honestly think the police should have unlimited power to taze people, simply because they don't speak english? English isn't even a legally manditory language in the US.

Its the official language of 27 states.

No, I don't think they should. They have the discretion to do so when a given situation necassitates use of the non-lethal weapon. The same applies to pepperspray and the baton.

He wasn't zapped for not knowing English or "for no reason", the officer in question percieved the suspect as unruly, insubordinate, or otherwise disorderly. It all could been avoided if the foreigner cared enough to learn a few words of the language spoken in the country he chose to study in.

ADarksideJedi
but my question is, what could their side of the story possibly be to justify beating a defenseless man? what could possibly be going through their head to make it ok?

Sometimes cops have to do that to get the person control.I don't think that it is needed but that could be part of the reason the cop did that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.