Re-enlisting

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

meep-meep
A little advice if I could have it:

I'm thinking about about re-enlisting in the military. Has anyone here done the same? And if so, what were your reasons for doing so.

dadudemon
I've never served but I wanted to thank you for your prior services and for your future services: I appreciate it, dude. thumb up

Lord Lucien
I also appreciate it. You went to war so I didn't have to.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by meep-meep

I'm thinking about about re-enlisting in the military. Has anyone here done the same? And if so, what were your reasons for doing so.

In the 90's, I served six years in the US Army. I wouldn't go back. Nothing against it, just wasn't my thing to make a career out of it. If you didn't wanna be a lifer the first time around, then I don't understand why you'd want to go back. Does the current economic climate and scarce job market have something to do with you considering it? Because it is pretty rough right now; it seems like nobody's hiring. And during economic slumps, college and military enrollment both go up pretty significantly.

Bardock42

Nah, sorry, I actually dodged the draft...I could advise you on that though.

Actually, dodging is overstated, it's more my country told me it really rather had me not serve it and to GTFO. It was mutual.

Darth Jello
Heh, being newly unemployed, I got a chance to talk to a recruiter who gave me the Farnsworth test on the spot. Maybe I should enlist? Basically, despite very good aim, my vision sucks, I'm color-blind, and I'm left-handed. The recruiter actually told me "good aim is no good with hot shell-casings in your face, how's your typing?" and then didn't call me back. Hilarious. Then I found out that he must really hate his job because both the FN P90 and the new M16 are ambidextrous. Regardless, if it's a steady job and I can't be in a combat zone because I can't read a map under a red light, why not?

Strangelove
I am nearsighted and for the moment, I think it's still illegal for gays to join. otherwise I think I'd be interested, if for no other reason that national service qualifies you for student loan forgiveness. Which I can get by joining AmeriCorps in any case.

King Castle
dont do it!

you compromised your beliefs enough already and the girls are sparse.

like some one said only if you wanna be a lifer.

also i was in USMC

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Strangelove
I am nearsighted and for the moment, I think it's still illegal for gays to join. otherwise I think I'd be interested, if for no other reason that national service qualifies you for student loan forgiveness. Which I can get by joining AmeriCorps in any case.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I'm a vet of AmeriCorps and you don't get student loan forgiveness. You get loan payment deferment, a living stipend on which you pay a ridiculous tax, and a $5,300 education award that is also taxed that you can use toward your student loan. The program is great but the rewards are sparse, you'll be living in poverty, and you'll pay a higher percentage of your income to tax than almost anyone in America, but hey, if you can live on what will probably turn out to be about $7,000 a year, good on you.

Robtard
Beat, all that you can beat, get an ugly wife and a ****ed up life in the Army.

*sung to the tune of the 'Be All You Can Be' jingle*

Kinneary

I enlisted the first time in 2005. When I enlisted, I thought, vaguely, the military would give me a sense of discipline and some sort of sense of self-worth. I had visions of retiring one day maybe. Right before I enlisted, I was really pro-military and couldn't stop bragging about it. Eventually that wore off. I realized that the military was, at best, just a job that required me to move a lot. At worst, a career that would keep me from living a happy life. I couldn't wait to get out.

Then, as I was nearing time for me to get out, I realized I wasn't ready to. I had spent several years in the Navy, but pretty much had nothing to show for it. So I decided to change that shit and reenlist. Once I reenlisted, I considered it a second shot at making the military work for me. I went out and got my bachelor's in health care administration, and I'm currently working on my masters. I've got slightly less than a year left, and then I'm out for good.

I guess what I would say is, look at your options. If you're ready to get out and make a real career on the outside then do so. If you're like me, and pretty much wasted your first enlistment, reenlist and rededicate yourself to getting a degree. The degree is free! There's no better time to get it than now. If I were you, without a degree, I say reenlist and spend the next three to four years in college. If you want, I'll recommend mine over PM. It's very military friendly, regionally accredited, has a great teaching method.

Since I reenlisted I've become very pro-college. Before I got to my current division only 8% were enrolled in college - I've personally educated every member of my squad as to the benefits of college and signed up every one of them personally to a school that fits them. Two years later, every single one of them has at least an associates, with more than half working towards their BS.

GET A DEGREE BEFORE GETTING OUT.

RE: Blaxican
Join the military, sure, just try to find a branch/position that doesn't possess a high chance of making you die for your country and this bullshit war.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Join the military, sure, just try to find a branch/position that doesn't possess a high chance of making you die for your country and this bullshit war.

That's easy: either the Coasties or the Chair Force.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
That's easy: either the Coasties or the Chair Force.
Or you know. Get in my situation and get bad astigmatism and totally fail every color blind test they throw at you. Then you can see Pat Robertson's idea of military service: earning three combat stars for making sure the Officers' Club is fully stocked with liquor.

Darth Truculent
Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Nothing like the heart of a volunteer.

Bicnarok

just do the same as when you enlisted the first time, not hard is it?

Deja~vu

I'm thinking about about re-enlisting in the military. Has anyone here done the same? And if so, what were your reasons for doing so. I've read that the mental illness rates sky rocket once you get in and suicide rates go up. Sorry.

Darth Piggott
Originally posted by Kinneary
I enlisted the first time in 2005. When I enlisted, I thought, vaguely, the military would give me a sense of discipline and some sort of sense of self-worth. I had visions of retiring one day maybe. Right before I enlisted, I was really pro-military and couldn't stop bragging about it. Eventually that wore off. I realized that the military was, at best, just a job that required me to move a lot. At worst, a career that would keep me from living a happy life. I couldn't wait to get out.

Then, as I was nearing time for me to get out, I realized I wasn't ready to. I had spent several years in the Navy, but pretty much had nothing to show for it. So I decided to change that shit and reenlist. Once I reenlisted, I considered it a second shot at making the military work for me. I went out and got my bachelor's in health care administration, and I'm currently working on my masters. I've got slightly less than a year left, and then I'm out for good.

I guess what I would say is, look at your options. If you're ready to get out and make a real career on the outside then do so. If you're like me, and pretty much wasted your first enlistment, reenlist and rededicate yourself to getting a degree. The degree is free! There's no better time to get it than now. If I were you, without a degree, I say reenlist and spend the next three to four years in college. If you want, I'll recommend mine over PM. It's very military friendly, regionally accredited, has a great teaching method.

Since I reenlisted I've become very pro-college. Before I got to my current division only 8% were enrolled in college - I've personally educated every member of my squad as to the benefits of college and signed up every one of them personally to a school that fits them. Two years later, every single one of them has at least an associates, with more than half working towards their BS.

GET A DEGREE BEFORE GETTING OUT.

I'm also all about school and I do not plan on reenlisting, but when I first came in I was all about retiring out the military. Screw that now, I have a family and I don't like moving all of the time, and getting deployed all of the time. I've been in for 9 years, and I'm gone most of the time.

Meep-meep, unless you don't have a degree and don't already have a job lined up, then I would stay in the military and get that education. Then you can get out and find a good paying job!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.