Schwarzenegger's Return Revives 'Terminator' Franchise!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
Last week Arnold Schwarzenegger tweeted that he was back in action and ready to take on new acting roles. We immediately assembled a mental wish list that consisted mostly of projects we don't want him to do (come back strong, avoid anything like Junior, Batman & Robin and Jingle all the Way!)

Some exciting news come revving in courtesy of Deadline who report that Universal Pictures is looking to revive James Cameron's franchise and attach Schwarzenegger to return. The most exciting news is that it's a potential vehicle (pun totally intended) for Justin Lin, who helmed the last three installments of The Fast and the Furious franchise, including the latest Fast Five, which Universal releases April 29. The plan would be to possibly pair him with Chris Morgan, who aside from Fast Five has credits on big scale Universal films that include the upcoming Keanu Reeves actioner 47 Ronin and Wanted.

This leaves me with a hornets nest of thoughts stinging my brain. First and foremost, I really, really, reallllly don't want to see a fifth pic in the future. And furthermore, I expect that they return to the roots and ensure it's a chase film. I know that the mere mention of Terminator evokes the high-budget/CGI response, but seriously, why not bring it down a notch? Lastly, if you're going to amp up the Terminator, you need to do something badder and cooler than the T-1,000,000 from Universal Studios' T2 3-D: Battle Across Time attraction.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23482

Kazenji
They better not reboot the franchise from some of the stuff i've read.

Myth
Arnold's body will never look like the Terminator again. The only way I can see them using him in another Terminator movie is to have him be one of the scientists that design the Terminator, or CGI his body like in Salvation, but have him actually film his face while he delivers lines.

Lord Lucien
I'd like to see him roles other than the ones we know him as. A little diversity rather than just rehashing things he doesn't have the body for anymore.

BruceSkywalker
right now i just cannot envision arnold as the terminator

Esau Cairn
As Glover said in the last Lethal Weapon,"I'm too old for this shit."

It would be better if film directors took into account Arnold's age & made an action movie that reflected on his experience rather than try & make him look & act 20 years younger.

Another classic example is Eastwood's In The Line Of Fire.
And Sean Connery in Entrapment.

-Pr-
I wouldn't mind seeing something akin to Arnie himself as the character that they based the machines on coming back to the present to protect someone from robots made in his image...

kind of like what they did with Die Hard 4... Just better.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by -Pr-
I wouldn't mind seeing something akin to Arnie himself as the character that they based the machines on coming back to the present to protect someone from robots made in his image...

kind of like what they did with Die Hard 4... Just better.

What did they do with die hard4?

Back to arnie I'm sure if he pumped up a bit he could do some action films. He doesn't have to take his shirt off. His last films he didn't and they were good like 6th day, collateral damage, end of days and terminator 3. Speaking of which in the deleted scenes in t3 there was a part with arnie playing the role of the person that the terminator was modeled on but his voice was different. It was quite funny.

Wolfie
The thread title is misleading. I thought there was some actual word that Schwarzenegger was gonna be in the next Terminator movie.

I would love to see a continuation of Terminator Salvation. If Schwarzenegger wants to be in it, I support the idea of him playing a scientist that designed the T-800.

Kazenji
I know with one of the T2 novels 'T2: Infiltrator' Sarah and John come across a former Austrian counterterrorism operative and model for the Terminator while hiding out in Paraguay.

mardook
They may as well go and do it because if and when he dies, people will be like oh man we missed an opportunity. They'd have to go with CGI if he is to play a terminator though. I like the idea of him playing a scientist or the operative who is used as a Terminator template. True, Terminator Salvation sucked but they may as well follow-up on it. There is always going to be a bad turn in the story somewhere along the line. Besides I am getting sick of reboots and remakes that keep cropping up. ****ing reset button mania that H'wood seems to be in right now. So let them keep chugging away until they get to that war scene from T2 that we all wanted to see as a movie.

Kazenji
Schwarzenegger Asked Back for Terminator, Predator & Running Man

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=74986

The Nuul
So, I guess Arnie is getting out of the office soon?

Kazenji
getting out of the office?

He's been out of it since january.

The Nuul
Didnt know.

BruceSkywalker
well i guess arnold needs a few extra dollars lol

Robtard
I'll be back.

http://wizbangblog.com/images/2005/schwarzenegger_beach.jpg

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Kazenji
Schwarzenegger Asked Back for Terminator, Predator & Running Man

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=74986

Nah, he should complete the sci-fi set and get involved in an Alien movie, he could be:

1. Dutch (having to deal with a different alien threat).

2. A Terminator (sent by Skynet to wipe out some that have nested near some important area).

3. Or just a new character.

Either way I think it would be a crowd pleaser. Who doesn't want to see Arnie blowing away Xenomorphs!!? What a comeback that would be!

mardook
I really don't care about how Arnold looks today, there is technology around things like that now. All I care about is them making a good or decent entertaining movie. Rebooting the Predator franchise did not work, we have yet to see if the Alien franchise can be rebooted with Prometheus which is not really a prequel. As for Terminator, like I said they should just continue with the story where they left off. Why reset the whole damn thing with a new mythology. If the studios think Arnold is too big of a risk to take then give him a big pay cut, he has not been in anything for a long time. Sure, he had a cameo in the Expendables but that was it. My vote is for them to just forge ahead with all his notable franchises that he was apart off.

Myth
I rather enjoyed Predators.

Kazenji
Same here

and it was'nt a reboot.

Lord Shadow Z
He just has to do an Alien Movie.

Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen are the only two to my knowledge who have been in all three in some capacity. Michael Biehn would have the set if he'd done a Predator movie too.

I want to see him Minigun a whole room of Xenomorphs with a cigar in his mouth and his one-liners ready! big grin

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
He just has to do an Alien Movie.

I want to see him Minigun a whole room of Xenomorphs with a cigar in his mouth and his one-liners ready! big grin

"How d'ya want yer eggs? RIDDLED WITH BULLETS!!!! " smokin'

Wolfie
I don't know what everyone's problem with Terminator Salvation is. I rather enjoyed it and feels it needs continuation.

Myth
Originally posted by Wolfie
I don't know what everyone's problem with Terminator Salvation is. I rather enjoyed it and feels it needs continuation.

It was ok, but people have come to expect a classic, which the 4th is not (neither is the 3rd for that matter). Anything less than a movie that is celebrated for decades is a failure in comparison to the part 1 and 2.

NowYouRemember
Originally posted by Myth
It was ok, but people have come to expect a classic, which the 4th is not (neither is the 3rd for that matter). Anything less than a movie that is celebrated for decades is a failure in comparison to the part 1 and 2.

No, it just sucked.

It was totally written wrong and had more plotholes and inconsistancies that I care to write up right now.

I like Christian Bale, actually, but he's not John Connor.

The story was screwed up and inaccurate and I remember everyone walking out of the threatre going, "What the **** was that ???"

It was horrible like a graphic car wreck, but much less of a spectacle at the same time.

People who just love action movies won't see a problem with Terminator Salvation.

But people who know and understand the storyline well, and know the ins and outs of the previous movies understanding how utterly vomit-inducing it was.

For that movie, there is no salvation.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by NowYouRemember
No, it just sucked.

It was totally written wrong and had more plotholes and inconsistancies that I care to write up right now.

I like Christian Bale, actually, but he's not John Connor.

The story was screwed up and inaccurate and I remember everyone walking out of the threatre going, "What the **** was that ???"

It was horrible like a graphic car wreck, but much less of a spectacle at the same time.

People who just love action movies won't see a problem with Terminator Salvation.

But people who know and understand the storyline well, and know the ins and outs of the previous movies understanding how utterly vomit-inducing it was.

For that movie, there is no salvation.

All that you've said there sums up my reaction to Rise of the Machines, that's as far as I've got; Salvation didn't interest me in the slightest.

Maybe because of Bale, I know he's a successful actor but nowadays it seems he just growls and shouts through his lines and thats enough for me to just not be bothered with his films. In Reign of Fire, Equilibrium and Rescue Dawn he's not so loud and urgent and it allows him to settle in the character a lot more. That's my take anyway.

FistOfThe North
aaaahhggrawwggggaaaaaaggaarrwwaahahahhhhhh!!!!!

elfirrepins
Why they followed up Terminator 2, god knows.

Kazenji
If only James Cameron stuck to his guns and we would've had a Third movie from him

as for what Arnolds up to

Arnold Schwarzenegger Eyes Two Projects

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76099

RE: Blaxican
-sighs-

I'm not feeling the premises of either movie.

Arnold's too old for these kinds of movies, imo. He needs to involve himself in more cerebral roles. Leave this kind of stuff to the young action hero stars.

Personally, I think he should get himself involved more in Science Fiction.

BruceSkywalker
arnold's new job should be to pay everyone here in cali at least $2million dollars each for the horrible job he did as governator

Kazenji
Schwarzenegger Will Be Back as Terminator, Justin Lin Directing

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76883

hope it turns out to be a rumor and then the rights go back to James Cameron.

omgchos
Idk tho. Cameron doesn't have what he used to. Hes falling down on the job like so many directors after years of success.

Edit: And dont use avatar as an example of how good cameron still is. Cuz that movie was about one of the most overatted wastes of 14 dollars iv'e ever come across.

Kazenji
Originally posted by omgchos
Idk tho. Cameron doesn't have what he used to. Hes falling down on the job like so many directors after years of success.

How so?

besides all his doco looking for the tomb of jesus.

omgchos
He did a documentary about finding christ's tomb?

Kazenji

Edit: And dont use avatar as an example of how good cameron still is. Cuz that movie was about one of the most overatted wastes of 14 dollars iv'e ever come across.

Well of course the finished film does has it flaws, But still he does still have it for movie making and you do realise he did write the story to back in 1994.

Kazenji
He did a documentary about finding christ's tomb?

well a few of them if i remember.

omgchos
James Cameron used to have integrity and then he made Titanic and Avatar and i lost all respect for him when the latter came out, as i was to young to even form much of an opinion back then about titanic. But looking back at it, it was basically a mindless cliche love story with a cliche villain/henchman. All centered around the titanic sinking. Which really had nothing to do with the story other than that it's what ends up causing dicaprio to die. Avatar was just dances with wolves in space done up to look really pretty. Ill admit he knows how to draw people in. And i wish i could make that much money on a movie. But as a director i have no respect for him. At least not anymore.

Kazenji
Avatar was just dances with wolves in space done up to look really pretty.

Well i already knew that that and it can be many things another one you can put to it is Pocahontas

Fair enough, But i still think he still has it for making movies even if Avatar did borrow plots from other stories, But as i said in a previous post he did do the story back in 1994 so yeah could've went over it but no he did'nt.

omgchos
Originally posted by Kazenji
Well i already knew that that and it can be many things another one you can put to it is Pocahontas

Fair enough, But i still think he still has it for making movies even if Avatar did borrow plots from other stories, But as i said in a previous post he did do the story back in 1994 so yeah could've went over it but no he did'nt.
He may have it but what i mean is i dont think he wants to anymore. Just from what ive seen. Bin lazy.

Esau Cairn
I'd like to see The Expendables take on Arnie as the Terminator.

Robtard
Do we really need Arnold in person to revive the Terminator franchise? We already saw in Salvation that Arnold can be in it, without being in it.

If he does come back in person and not just a voice, I hope he's just a head, or like Modok.

omgchos
I dont think the franchise should really even be revived. All the last one was, was brand recognition. I mean they even had to put arnold into it and have a guy who's a machine but helps out John Connor. I mean cmon at this point it was supposed to be them vs. machines.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Robtard
Do we really need Arnold in person to revive the Terminator franchise? We already saw in Salvation that Arnold can be in it, without being in it.

If he does come back in person and not just a voice, I hope he's just a head, or like Modok.

i think it is for pure money purposes to have arnold return.. but i doubt at 120 yrs old laughing out loud arnold can pull it off

Myth
I think they could do what they did in Salvation with Arnold's head on another guy's body, but they need to give him lines rather than just be a face. Make him an important character to the story. I'd love to see a good guy Arnold and a bad guy Arnold in the same movie. Whenever a character sees him (and the audience), you don't know whether to trust him or not. Is it the good Terminator or the bad Terminator? Pretty much, it would be like seeing his original Terminator vs the Terminator he played in Terminator 2.

Or bring back T1000 or another pretty much same sort of technology Terminator, that would also be amazing.

alex4u
well i think he is quite old to play a robot now. But i agree its really hard to find his replacement.

roughrider
Well, he came back to the Terminator franchise twice in consecutive films, and neither he not James Cameron could save it. RIP - please RIP.

Jmanghan
He may have it but what i mean is i dont think he wants to anymore. Just from what ive seen. Bin lazy. He's stated on record he is tired of doing the Terminator movies.

rudester
Maybe his son can step in.

Oliver Lau
Originally posted by rudester
Maybe his son can step in.

I think the Terminator series was very good. But now it's enough. I don't think we need another Terminator movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.