Coca Cola Causes Cancer?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
The CSPI believes that your favorite soda will kill you.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cspi-caramel-coloring-cola-cancer-soft-drink-industry/story?id=12932008

I've been drinking Cola for more than ten years and not once at my doctor's was I ever told of having cancer so what's CSPI talking about?

Lord Lucien
You're doctor has probably been paid off/blackmailed by the Cola companies to keep your cancer secret.

I'll remember you fondly.

King Kandy
Can =/= will

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I've been drinking Cola for more than ten years and not once at my doctor's was I ever told of having cancer so what's CSPI talking about?

Increased risk means increased risk, not instant death.

Also look at the rest of the article. Fred Guengerich, who looks reputable, points out that the mice were give massive doses of the chemical. This is sort of like CSPI saying that chocolate has health risks because if a car sized brick of it fell on you it would splatter your brains across the street like delicious jelly filling.

jinXed by JaNx
Well aspartame isn't any better for us but we don't about its' affects.

The Nuul
Everything is bad for you.

King Kandy
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
If you don't know about its effects, how do you know its bad for you?

ADarksideJedi
Alot of people have believed this but I am not sure if I do.

inimalist
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

the dangers of sweeteners are exaggerated

unless you drink a case and a half of diet pop a day

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Increased risk means increased risk, not instant death.

Also look at the rest of the article. Fred Guengerich, who looks reputable, points out that the mice were give massive doses of the chemical. This is sort of like CSPI saying that chocolate has health risks because if a car sized brick of it fell on you it would splatter your brains across the street like delicious jelly filling.

most "X causes cancer" headlines are like this

then again, there was a bunch of stuff I saw a few years ago about how previously thought "safe" or "trace" amounts of some things (namely pharmaceuticals) can in fact have major impacts on the body

ADarksideJedi
I drink a whole bottle of diet coke a day.

inimalist
you should be more concerned about your tooth enamel than cancer, but I don't think anyone would say that is healthy (I do the same with diet rootbeer frequently too though, so I'm hardly one to give advice)

Clovie
diet coke is less healthy than normal one.. messed
I mean aspartame increases risk of cancer... and generally all the sweeteners are the same.. as far as I'm concerned xylitol (the thing in chewing gum) is safer a bit.. but still nothing great.

and of course, normal coke has a lot of sugar.. and phosphoric acid... and is making bones weaker and tooth enamel and so on.. blah.

and you know.. smoking causes cancer lady so quit smoke

inimalist
Originally posted by Clovie

that totally depends on a number of variables, actually

Clovie
like what?

inimalist
well, for instance, I'm a diabetic

Clovie
I thought that we are discussing generally healthy people..

and btw normal coke is used by diabetics in case of hypoglycaemia, because it quickly increases bloody sugar smile

inimalist
I thought that we are discussing generally healthy people..

Type 1 diabetics are hardly a clinical population, and with proper diet (ie, avoiding excess sugar) there are few health problems...

also, no, we weren't. you made a blanket statement that does not apply to all conditions (my point being, it is very difficult to say one thing is more or less healthy than another, because people are very different in their metabolism)

and btw normal coke is used by diabetics in case of hypoglycaemia, because it quickly increases bloody sugar smile

it is?!?!

lol, yes, but when correcting for a low, glucose units are very important. You don't just down a bottle of coke when you have a low, because that is dangerous, you need to know how much sugar your body needs and administer it in doses. Coke or sugar become a medicinal product in this case. It would be like you saying heroin is healthy because they give morphine to people to kill pain.

Clovie
blink actually diabetics type1 is a serious illness. and it has a lot of complications. and yeah..not in the first year of the illness, but in 10 or 15.. kidneys failure, eye problems, heart problems.. there is bigger risk of heart attack or a stroke .. but it goes to both types..
and diabetics type2 is more common and connected with obesity..

and I'm not saying that coke is healthy. what I'm saying is that basically sugar is less dangerous (=healthier=less unhealthy) than artificial sweeteners.

AND OF COURSE you DO dawn a bottle of coke when you have a low. and you eat some bread.
low sugar level is more dangerous (when it is rapid, and usually it is) than a high one. when diabetics patient is unconscious you first give them glucose and not insulin. erm

inimalist
thank you for explaining how diabetes works to me

Clovie
I sense sarcasm no expression but you're welcome.

inimalist
your senses are apt

Clovie
I don't even know what "apt" means big grin

inimalist
thats not surprising

Clovie
I see no reason for you to offend me, since you don't know me. I was trying to explain my because you implied that I'm wrong. and now you're just being unkind. apparently your ego couldn't bother you being proved wrong. (what I never actually did)

Deano
coca cola is full of chemical shite. anything that causes a chemical imbalance in your body will result in cancer most often than not

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Deano
anything that causes a chemical imbalance in your body will result in cancer most often than not

Anything you ingest changes the balance of chemicals in your body.

MildPossession
All the food and drink you see in the news that will cause cancer and so on and on is just silly. There was one article I saw a few weeks back, you know what some of the foods were that said could cause cancer: Bananas, Rice, Chillis and so on. Please...

You might as well not eat or drink ANYTHING and die of starvation.

smile

The trouble starts when you go outside of moderation, 2 massive bottles of coke a day, for example... and like others have said, that amount would start doing other things to your body.

The Nuul
Cant do that, dying of starvation is bad for you!

Robtard
chocolate has health risks because if a car sized brick of it fell on you it would splatter your brains across the street like delicious jelly filling.

This is the way I want to go out.

Robtard

Not glass marbles, so it's safe to eat those and only those.

ADarksideJedi
I mean aspartame increases risk of cancer... and generally all the sweeteners are the same.. as far as I'm concerned xylitol (the thing in chewing gum) is safer a bit.. but still nothing great.

and of course, normal coke has a lot of sugar.. and phosphoric acid... and is making bones weaker and tooth enamel and so on.. blah.

and you know.. smoking causes cancer lady so quit smoke

Yes I do know this but if I don't drink my diet coke every day I get a headache because I am addicted to caffine.

Deano

yes

point?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Deano
yes

point? eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.