Death every Quarter?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/11/marvel-were-going-to-kill-a-character-every-quarter/

confused

Not really sure if this is a bad idea or a terrible idea by the House of Ideas.

Galan007
Sounds like Marvel is setting themselves up for strategic bankruptcy. They'll kill off every major character in their company, thus boosting comic sales, thus making their wallets fatter... Then they'll pull the plug on the entire company.

Sneaky bastids. sly

-K-M-
I think it's a great idea, as soon Alpha Flight will be all that remains. Glorious day.

Puck rhymes with duck and duck ryhmes with fu---nevermind.

Galan007
Originally posted by -K-M-
I think it's a great idea, as soon Alpha Flight will be all that remains. In that case the only logical thing they could do is walk away from the company. There would be no saving it at that point.

Puck rhymes with suck, as you mentioned. ermmhappy

Omega Vision
Sounds like a desperate gimmick to me.

-Pr-
That's just plain retarded.

-K-M-
Originally posted by Galan007
In that case the only logical thing they could do is walk away from the company. There would be no saving it at that point.

Puck rhymes with suck, as you mentioned. ermmhappy

I ran out of good rhyming words to convey my emotions sad

guy222
******* stupid

Bouboumaster
Stupid idea.

And somewhere, in a near future... BANG! An event where Death and Life fight, and everybody is resurrected!

jalek moye
I'm already less and less interested as time goes on, now this. Yeah I'm done except for a few current thigns I'm reading. Just to see where they go.

JakeTheBank
It really pisses me off. That's what the Ultimate Universe is for: to kill off anyone you damn well please. Johnny's death didn't hit me too hard, and I am really psyched about the Future Foundation storyline, but this "method" of storytelling is going to get stale. If you need cheap gimmicks to keep readers interested...

jalek moye
Exactly, and I can already tell its gonna be crap if this is the focus. Just killing people off, instead of making it an actual good story arc.

JakeTheBank
Yeah.

If someone's death adds to the story as a whole, by all rights, do it. But to plot a big event and go "Uh....shit, we're missing something. Um, who can we get away with killing?" I entirely expect someone to bite it in Fear Itself; considering the trend, probably an Avenger.

Omega Vision
It's like these writers don't remember how the Death and Return of Superman briefly boosted sales before wrecking them.

Smh.

JakeTheBank
Very few of the recent deaths did I like. Well, there was Sentry's, but I was just glad he got offed in Siege. The whole Fallen Sun one shot, which was rank with writer wanking, not so much.

Nova and Starlord's in Thanos Imperative was pretty cool; it irked me because I like the characters, but I liked how they went out and it's just vague-ish enough to do the "Guess who's back?" gimmick.

Events in general are just getting really ridiculous. Ongoings are much better as of now, imo.

Omega Vision
The only death that I ever thought was well done and lasted for any good amount of time was Barry Allen's.

Digi
Remember that the majority of writing is catered to the fans who won't be on board for longer than 3-5 years between the ages of about 15-24. That's they're majority, even though it's ever-shifting. The lifers are a vocal minority, but a minority nonetheless. Saying that historic comic deaths boost sales only to eventually kill them may actually be something else: boosting sales before they return to their normal state, at which point the company needs another temporary boost. In the company's eyes, they basically have a fresh slate about once every 5 years.

Long story short, if you don't like trends like these, you're reading the wrong comics. Stay mainstream all the time and this is what you'll be treated to for the next 50 years. Knowing that it comes with the territory and just going with it helps, as does reading other authors/titles/series/etc. Or a mix of both.

Bentley
This is stupid, but as Digi said, gimmicks have been part of the industry since forever; I mean, if this somewhat fails Marvel will try to pull off a "New Coke" kind of thing so everyone buys their comics again now that they are "back to normal".

Kazenji
As long as the death's are written good not in a shitty way then i'm for it.

JakeTheBank
Yeah, true.

And to be honest, it has already been happening now that I think about it. If you go back even to Avengers Disassembled, I'm pretty sure a main character has died in virtually every single major event since then.

srankmissingnin
The actually article, and not just a clip of dialog with the context removed.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30809

Black bolt z
Stupid. Just. Plain. Stupid.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.