Justice Department will no longer defend "Defense of Marriage Act"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Kandy
Effectively meaning it will be repealed in court soon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/us/24marriage.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=marriage&st=cse

Go Obama!

Lucius
How will this allow it to be repealed in court?

dadudemon
Originally posted by King Kandy
Effectively meaning it will be repealed in court soon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/us/24marriage.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=marriage&st=cse

Go Obama!

I could have sworn I posted about this to my long-ass diatribes to SkeUng.

Anyway, yeah, I was glad to see that happen, too.

Symmetric Chaos
Isn't the precedent of a President simply ignoring a law sort of a bad thing, too?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Isn't the precedent of a President simply ignoring a law sort of a bad thing, too?

Hmmm. Maybe.

He has told the Justice department to stop defending it. That's type of action has been around far longer than Obama.

Nephthys

When you're making a delicious, non-prejudiced omlet, you have to brake some eggs.

And by omlet I mean country.

And by eggs I mean laws.

I am the King of Metaphors. It is me.

King Kandy
It's always part of the executive branch's jurisdiction to enforce laws; these are the kind of powers it has available to it. And he isn't "ignoring" the law (the executive branch will NOT be allowing gay marriage, as the law still is in force). They have no obligation to agree with the congress, just to enforce their laws.

skekUng
Originally posted by dadudemon
I could have sworn I posted about this to my long-ass diatribes to SkeUng.

Anyway, yeah, I was glad to see that happen, too.

Which long ass diatribe would that be?

dadudemon
Originally posted by skekUng
Which long ass diatribe would that be?

Which one, indeed. I lost track of them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.