Marvel and DC: Fan/Consumer Interaction

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
As someone who actively reads comics from both major comic companies (I have about a dozen or so regular ongoings at my pull list atm), I got to thinking. As far as overall companies, and I could be wildly wrong and misinformed, but I just get this impression that Marvel seems to encourage fan access and dialogue more so than DC. I mean, for example, Marvel's website has the access to comment on news-stories and ask questions that have the possibility to be answered by creators. Their Facebook page also enables fans to comment and criticize various articles in which sometimes Marvel responds (I for one had whomever was running the Marvel FB page to "like" a picture I posted of me with my Cap shield).

Conversely, DC doesn't seem to do that, and I can't figure out why. I know someone will read this as me "bashing" DC, which isn't the case at all. I love DC comics and support them and their products. But DC just seems to have a "keep them at arm's length mentality" that is sort of off putting. They do have a message board to discuss various issues, but their main site offers very little in the form of resources and information in comparison to Marvel, and their Facebook profile only allows users to reply to existing stories and topics. Geoff Johns and a few other creators own FB's are more inviting than the actual company, which to me, just doesn't seem quite right.

On the other hand, DC is spearheading a $2.99 campaign for their major, standard issue comics. When I pick up my DC comics pull list, I'm spending far less money than when I pick up Marvel books. It certainly helps every Wednesday to be able to save some cash I wouldn't normally be saving. DC, to me, also gives me a chance to catch my breath from constant events and tie-ins. They have them, certainly (Blackest Night, Brightest Day, anyone?), but I feel it isn't as rushed and carrying more incentive/pressure to keep up as Marvel and their events.

In short, I'm just curious as to what others think here. My friend whom I discussed this with actually believes the opposite is true concerning Marvel and DC. And to reiterate, this isn't a discussion to shamelessly put over your favorite company, but to talk about the practices for each business, how they differ, and any changes, if any, you'd like to see as far as them benefiting YOU, the fan/consumer.

Galan007
you biased son of a.... ahuh

Prep-Man
DC has their Q&A at the end of their books now. They also have their own Facebooks and are quite informative at the conventions.

-Pr-
DC does have a few off-site forums for certain writers (Johns, Busiek when he was there, McDuffie too), and they do have twitter for some others, but in general yeah, agreed with Jake. Marvel seems to do more to "reach out" as it were.

dmills
All I know is that they've "reached out" to me with the drawing the line at $2.99 campaign! And I've reached back out to them with an open wallet lol.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by dmills
All I know is that they've "reached out" to me with the drawing the line at $2.99 campaign! And I've reached back out to them with an open wallet lol.

What titles do you read?

dmills
Originally posted by Prep-Man
What titles do you read? You know me. GL, GL corps, Rebels (until it was put out of its misery), any Firestorm brightest day appearance, and what ever random title grabs my attention.

TricksterPriest
DC is also a good deal harder to get into compared to marvel. Witness the critical response to Final Crisis, compared to Secret Invasion.

Not to mention, what Jake neglected to mention, Marvel's comics aren't strong enough to attract people on the strength of their stories. biscuits

dmills
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
DC is also a good deal harder to get into compared to marvel. Witness the critical response to Final Crisis, compared to Secret Invasion.

Not to mention, what Jake neglected to mention, Marvel's comics aren't strong enough to attract people on the strength of their stories. biscuits Not many are nowadays excepting the Indies, of which most are an absolute mess when it comes to keeping a release schedule.

The truth is that Marvel values style over substance. They've canceled most of their critically acclaimed titles in favor of the money making fast food crap. Blame the consumer for being idiots.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.