Thor vs Team

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

keiththegreat
Thor has just taken a direct hit from a nuke, and then is attacked by this team. Can they win?

Team:

Captain America
Spiderman
Hawkeye
Wolverine
Cyclops

Rage.Of.Olympus
No.

What's with all the Thor threads?

leonidas
direct nuke hit?? has thor survived one? he seemed pretty impressed by the nuke during the maestro fight. not sure thor withstands a direct nuke shot. they burn somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100 million degrees which is WAYYYYY hotter even than the sun.....

i'm assuming of course he doesn't absorb the blast but actually takes it.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Sun > Nuclear Weapons from what I understand. An environment in which Thor has stood in unharmed.

I don't remember that. IIRC, Thor was in Warrior Madness when the Nuclear Weapon hit. PAD did have Nuclear Weapons in high regard though.

If nothing else he took the pseudo Nuclear Weapon in Kang War. It was also said that an Atomic Blast can't injure Thor by the narrator. IIRC, he also withstood a Cobalt Bomb for a Government experiment off panel.

dmills
The next person to make a Thor thread is hereby cursed. You will go to bed with an itchy booty and wake up with smelly fingers for the rest of your days.

leonidas
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Sun > Nuclear Weapons from what I understand. An environment in which Thor has stood in unharmed.

I don't remember that. IIRC, Thor was in Warrior Madness when the Nuclear Weapon hit. PAD did have Nuclear Weapons in high regard though.

If nothing else he took the pseudo Nuclear Weapon in Kang War. It was also said that an Atomic Blast can't injure Thor by the narrator. IIRC, he also withstood a Cobalt Bomb for a Government experiment off panel.

heat of a nuke is well above even the core of the sun. as regards the atum feat--i've always been of the impression that atum was protecting thor there. you probably see it different.

the kang feat was well away from the epicenter though. and was he ko'd by that? can't recall off-hand. heat dissipates very quickly away from the epicenter at any rate.

i'd be hard-pressed to believe thor could withstand a direct hit from a nuke. if he did, i'd say he'd be VERY weak and that the team could probably take him out. not many characters in comics can take a direct hit from a nuke imo.

Starscream M

and sun is > than hulk's fist. yet hulk's fist has harmed thor. so you can't use that logic.

dmills
Originally posted by Starscream M
and sun is > than hulk's fist. yet hulk's fist has harmed thor. so you can't use that logic. Heat/radiation is not the same as kinetic energy.

Solidus Black

It depends on where in the sun.

Most of the sun that people fly in (on the surface) 5,500 degrees and a nuke is way hotter. The corona gets to be about 5 million or so and the core is estimated at 10,000,000.

Temps at ground zero and just beyond of nukes hits the tens of millions of degrees. hotter than anywhere on our sun.

zopzop
Originally posted by leonidas
heat of a nuke is well above even the core of the sun. as regards the atum feat--i've always been of the impression that atum was protecting thor there. you probably see it different.

I always saw it as they were communicating on a different plane of existence, not literally inside the Sun's core. I mean how would they hear each other speaking? Wouldn't Thor's clothes have been burnt off? What were they "standing" on?

The different plane of existence was kinda confirmed when Thor flung Mjolnir at Atum, it flew right through him.

PS a nuke doesn't weaken Thor enough for these scrubs to beat him. He withstood multiple Celestial assaults, he can withstand a nuke.

PSS What level nuke? 10 megatons? 50 megatons?

Rage.Of.Olympus
confused How does Mjolnir flying through Atum prove that Thor was on a different plane of existence?

It was Atum that existed on a different plane. That's the reason why Mjolnir went through him and Thor had to adjust his method of attack:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/AtumandThorinSun1.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/AtumandThorinSun2.jpg

Thor can survive in the hear of Stars:

Even a weakened Bill has survived in a Star that was about to go Nova. If it's feats of heat resistance that is needed, Thor has plenty that I can post.

the kang feat was well away from the epicenter though. and was he ko'd by that? can't recall off-hand. heat dissipates very quickly away from the epicenter at any rate.

i'd be hard-pressed to believe thor could withstand a direct hit from a nuke. if he did, i'd say he'd be VERY weak and that the team could probably take him out. not many characters in comics can take a direct hit from a nuke imo.

Well above even the core of the Sun? Really?

Why would Atum be protecting Thor? That makes no sense.

What are you talking about? Thor flew right at the epicenter and was maybe a few feet away from the core. And no he was not knocked out. He was knocked off his feet but that's it.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke1.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke2.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke3.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke4.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke5.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke6.jpg

To be fair though, the Kang Nuclear Weapon was aimed more at organic tissue or what have you.

Why? I think Thor can shrug off a Nuclear Weapon unharmed if the writer needs him to. Thor has feats that make withstanding a Nuclear Weapon seem pitiful in comparison. I didn't want to list them but I can if I have to.

There's also the off panel feat where he survives a Cobalt Bomb. I don't have the scan, but it happens in Journey Into Mystery #86.

dmills
Originally posted by zopzop

PSS What level nuke? 10 megatons? 50 megatons? 50?! Man if they start having characters tanking 50 megaton nukes from ground zero range without shielding then I'll stop reading comics.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Did you read Iron Man/Thor #4? The Evolutionary didn't exactly turn out looking well.

dmills
Did you read Iron Man/Thor #4? The Evolutionary didn't exactly turn out looking well. Nah. I tried, but its terrible. I almost can't even believe that DnA wrote it.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Well, it was a crazy showing for the Destroyer armor.

In it, Diablo was warping the fabric of creation itself and then went on to start absorbing all of the powers from the other pantheons at the same time. He also one shotted the Evolutionary (The fight lasted like a two panels IIRC).

iceman24567
lol Thor stomps

zopzop
Originally posted by dmills
50?! Man if they start having characters tanking 50 megaton nukes from ground zero range without shielding then I'll stop reading comics.

Well you can stop reading comics now stick out tongue

Did you see the scans Rage provided? Thor was unphased by a nuke blast that freaking knocked Wonder Man out! He's supposedly made of ionic energy or something and he was floored while Thor walked away like nothing happened eek!

Rage.Of.Olympus
Simon wasn't knocked out but he did look pretty f*cked. I don't know why you're surprised though. Thor was always superior to Wonder Man.

leonidas
confused How does Mjolnir flying through Atum prove that Thor was on a different plane of existence?

It was Atum that existed on a different plane. That's the reason why Mjolnir went through him and Thor had to adjust his method of attack:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/AtumandThorinSun1.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/AtumandThorinSun2.jpg

Thor can survive in the hear of Stars:

Even a weakened Bill has survived in a Star that was about to go Nova. If it's feats of heat resistance that is needed, Thor has plenty that I can post.

Well above even the core of the Sun? Really?

Why would Atum be protecting Thor? That makes no sense.

What are you talking about? Thor flew right at the epicenter and was maybe a few feet away from the core. And no he was not knocked out. He was knocked off his feet but that's it.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke1.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke2.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke3.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke4.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke5.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/UnharmedNuke6.jpg

To be fair though, the Kang Nuclear Weapon was aimed more at organic tissue or what have you.

Why? I think Thor can shrug off a Nuclear Weapon unharmed if the writer needs him to. Thor has feats that make withstanding a Nuclear Weapon seem pitiful in comparison. I didn't want to list them but I can if I have to.

There's also the off panel feat where he survives a Cobalt Bomb. I don't have the scan, but it happens in Journey Into Mystery #86.

i agree with zop that they weren't really in the sun. too weird. they certainly wouldn't just be standing there talking.... anyway, i've debated it at length a couple times in the past and have no desire to do so again since i already know you'll never change your mind.

core of sun=about 10-15 million degrees

large yield nuke explosion=about 100-150 million degrees...... that's a HUGE difference.

that kang scan is a good feat, but as you said, it's a different nuke altogether.

that 'nuclear wave' scan is..... silly. it didn't even blow up up the cavern. an actual nuke of course wipes out everything for miles around. if you're going by that narration from 40yrs ago, wellll.... you're welcome to your thoughts.

as far as thor surviving a direct hit from a nuke--it's possible, as i said. i could name loads of feats that might seem greater than a nuke attack as well, but there are plenty of times where a lot less has harmed him too. we're talking about heat unlike any thor has ever been exposed to far as i know--10x hotter than the core of the sun--in a very concentrated area. i'd wager in a book if we saw him in the heart of a nuke it wouldn't end well for him unless he absorbed it.

as for wonderman--it'd be far more shocking if thor didn't fair better than he did.

dmills
That ain't 50 megatons lol. They've only built and tested 1 nuke that powerful before and it was said to be one of, if not the most destructive force ever witnessed by man.

dmills
@leonidas,
Not to mention the huge difference in power between an atomic bomb and a thermo nuclear device.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Should I list some of Thor's durability feats? It's going to make Nuclear Weapons seem unimpressive in comparison.

i agree with zop that they weren't really in the sun. too weird. they certainly wouldn't just be standing there talking.... anyway, i've debated it at length a couple times in the past and have no desire to do so again since i already know you'll never change your mind.

I don't understand what's the problem with them simply conversing? What else do expect them to do? We're talking about Atum and Thor here. A core of a Star should not be any problem.

Whatever, I don't particularly care as long as you don't argue Thor can't survive in the heart of a Star.

core of sun=about 10-15 million degrees

large yield nuke explosion=about 100-150 million degrees...... that's a HUGE difference.

Okay.

that kang scan is a good feat, but as you said, it's a different nuke altogether.

It was focused more on wiping out organic tissue instead of damaging material shit IIRC but as seen it was still incredibly powerful. If he can survive that, I don't see the problem with him surviving a Nuclear Weapon.

that 'nuclear wave' scan is..... silly. it didn't even blow up up the cavern. an actual nuke of course wipes out everything for miles around. if you're going by that narration from 40yrs ago, wellll.... you're welcome to your thoughts.

In that scan, it said not even an Atomic Blast could injure Thor. The Nuclear Wave thing is just icing.

Please don't try that with me.

as far as thor surviving a direct hit from a nuke--it's possible, as i said. i could name loads of feats that might seem greater than a nuke attack as well, but there are plenty of times where a lot less has harmed him too.

It's more than possible. If needed to, characters like Thor would laugh off a Nuclear Weapons. Beings like him take and laugh off planet busting attacks.

So what, you want to use an average Thor or something and not his high end feats? Because based on what I've seen, you're using a low end version if your doubting his ability to survive a Nuclear Weapon as much as you are. Still, I admit that there's a far less chance of Thor laughing away a Nuclear Weapon if use his average. Of course, I think there's a 100% of him laughing one off if we use his higher end feats.

we're talking about heat unlike any thor has ever been exposed to far as i know--10x hotter than the core of the sun--in a very concentrated area. i'd wager in a book if we saw him in the heart of a nuke it wouldn't end well for him unless he absorbed it.

There you go again. And if it's resistance to heat you want:

as for wonderman--it'd be far more shocking if thor didn't fair better than he did.

Agreed.

zopzop

I could have sworn he was made up of ionic energy, he's not flesh and blood? I just figured he'd be more durable than Thor.

And the Sun feat is a moot point now, seeing as how he's survived nuke strikes.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Nah, Simon has never been more durable than Thor. And how much is ionic energy and how much is blood/bones/tissue depends on the writer.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by keiththegreat
Thor has just taken a direct hit from a nuke, and then is attacked by this team. Can they win?

Team:

Captain America
Spiderman
Hawkeye
Wolverine
Cyclops

Thor beats them down.

Don Corleone
Originally posted by keiththegreat

Team:

Captain America
Spiderman
Hawkeye
Wolverine
Cyclops

Thor's going to be pissed if he gets attacked after a blast like that. The team is completely grounded with Cyclops being the only one with a distinct possibility of reaching Thor in flight. Thor slaughters them if he really wants to.

leonidas
Should I list some of Thor's durability feats? It's going to make Nuclear Weapons seem unimpressive in comparison.

I don't understand what's the problem with them simply conversing? What else do expect them to do? We're talking about Atum and Thor here. A core of a Star should not be any problem.

Whatever, I don't particularly care as long as you don't argue Thor can't survive in the heart of a Star.

Okay.

It was focused more on wiping out organic tissue instead of damaging material shit IIRC but as seen it was still incredibly powerful. If he can survive that, I don't see the problem with him surviving a Nuclear Weapon.

In that scan, it said not even an Atomic Blast could injure Thor. The Nuclear Wave thing is just icing.

Please don't try that with me.

It's more than possible. If needed to, characters like Thor would laugh off a Nuclear Weapons. Beings like him take and laugh off planet busting attacks.

So what, you want to use an average Thor or something and not his high end feats? Because based on what I've seen, you're using a low end version if your doubting his ability to survive a Nuclear Weapon as much as you are. Still, I admit that there's a far less chance of Thor laughing away a Nuclear Weapon if use his average. Of course, I think there's a 100% of him laughing one off if we use his higher end feats.

There you go again. And if it's resistance to heat you want:

Agreed.

i've already argued thor being able to live in a star. he likely could with his hammer which could easily be absorbing the heat around him.

none of those heat feats is close to a nuke, and many are magical. like i said, if you want to use 40yr old narration as proof, good on ya. personally, i'd never use it. too old, too weak, and it was never shown. but, whatever you'd like.

and of course i use an 'average thor'. i almost take always take an average version of a character. and thor's been dropped by a LOT less than a nuke. and that is NOT low showings only. thor was awed by that nuke that went off when he was fighting the maestro, and banner certaibly didn't think thor would survive it and actually punched him out of the bomb's range.

regardless--this is something he is just standing there attempting to take. a nuke can destroy a large city. since he can't use his hammer to defend himself here from the nuke, what do you think is thor's best durability feat WITHOUT using his hammer to protect him?

PillarofOsiris
Thor's taken planet-busting attacks and survived. The last time I checked, a nuclear bomb couldn't destroy a large asteroid, nevermind planet. Thor wins this fight with complete ease.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.