If you celebrate Lent what are you giving up for it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ADarksideJedi
I am like last year giving up any sweets and junk food.I made it last year and did not mess up.I hope this year I don't either and lose alot of weight at the same time.
So what is everyone given up?

long pig
Lent is so pagan it makes me sick. it comes from the sun worshiping ishtar (or easter) religion. it's in memory of the death of the sun god's son tamuz. They would have huge feasts(carnival or mardi gra) before giving up something for forty days in mourning. Easter is an evil word that was put in the bible 1000 years after it was written.

ADarksideJedi
I disargee but I see what you are saying.

Deja~vu
I don't celebrate Lent, sorry.

Digi
I gave up my tolerance to cold. Seriously, weather needs to get its **** together.

The Nuul
WTF is Lent? is that the stuff that always collects in your pocket?

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Digi
I gave up my tolerance to cold. Seriously, weather needs to get its **** together. laughing out loud I hear ya.

red g jacks
in honor of lent i'll be converting to catholicism for 40 days

ADarksideJedi
That is good but why not make it longer?

Bardock42
If I practiced lent I'd give up Religion.

Mindship
Could one just give up Lent?

alltoomany
Originally posted by Mindship
Could one just give up Lent?

Great question! What people believe... Church..anything to make a buck

Mindship
Originally posted by alltoomany
Great question! What people believe... Church..anything to make a buck And I thought I was posing only an Escheresque linqua-philosophical conundrum.

ADarksideJedi
No you can choose not to give anything up that is up to the person.

Deja~vu
People should give things up like gossip and lying instead of things like chocolate and cake.

ADarksideJedi
People could give up on that as well it is up to that person.

alltoomany
a penny from heaven

ADarksideJedi
Which means what?

long pig
Originally posted by Digi
I gave up my tolerance to cold. Seriously, weather needs to get its **** together. that was pretty damn funny. sorry for all the bible thumping trolling. I'm done. Maybe be a NAMBLA advocate again. you dont mod comics anymore?

-Pr-
Chips (French Fries to you non Europeans).
Lemonade (Soda to you non Europeans).
Biting my nails (Umm...).

That's all really.

ADarksideJedi
I should had given up soda.

Bardock42
You can still do that.

Quiero Mota
Coffee and gambling.

I drink an average of four pots a day, and I'm a cardshark when it comes to poker. So I'm jonesing pretty bad...

siriuswriter
You know, you Lentians, you get breaks on Saturdays. Because you're doing this because it's inspired by Jesus' fasting and prayers from the forty days before his cruxifiction. Since Jesus was a Jew, he celebrated Sabbath, which is Saturday. He had to eat on Sabbath because it's part of the ceremony. So good news for you, Quiero Mota. big grin

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by siriuswriter
You know, you Lentians, you get breaks on Saturdays. Because you're doing this because it's inspired by Jesus' fasting and prayers from the forty days before his cruxifiction. Since Jesus was a Jew, he celebrated Sabbath, which is Saturday. He had to eat on Sabbath because it's part of the ceremony. So good news for you, Quiero Mota. big grin

I've been aware of that clause for a long time, but I still don't give in. It just seems to undermine the whole purpose. When it comes to Lent (or anything else that requires commitment) I always go cavalier. I take it seriously--no loopholes, no exceptions.

siriuswriter
I'm impressed. big grin I understand the jonesing now - but they say the first three days are the hardest - and mardi gras and Ash Wednesday were two weeks ago!

Congratulations!

In other news :
"Cavalier" is a word that is used too infrequently.

ADarksideJedi
Yea but it is on Sunday but I don't take a break even then.I reather wait until easter.and I know I can do that anytime.I just choose to do it now.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Yea but it is on Sunday but I don't take a break even then.I reather wait until easter.and I know I can do that anytime.I just choose to do it now.

Historically speaking, the Jewish had a different day of the week on which they worshipped Yahweh - the Seventh day of the week, the day on which the creation story tells God rested from creating the world.

For the Jewish faith, that is a Saturday. Even some Christians still feel that Sunday is not the day for worshiping god - they're called seventh-day adventists.

ADarksideJedi
I know all this already but thank you for mentioning it anyway.

alltoomany
lying

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.