Link versus the Old School Video Games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheAuraAngel
Link is thrown into a gauntlet where he is forced to face challenges resembling video games from before his time or around his time. He is given a specific group of items to help him with these obstacles. They are as follows:

The Wand of Gamelon
His spells from OoT(Love,Fire,Wind)
A dull Master Sword

Round 1:Tetris.

The Tetrominoes(Blocks) are being thrown by Donkey Kong and move at a slightly faster speed but Link is able to keep up with them. Using the WoG, Link has to make these shapes fit into the proper places in order to win. He must do this for....30 levels sounds good. If Link, the natural born puzzle solver, can succeed he is carried to round 2.

Round 2:Pong.

Using his dull Master Sword, Link must play a game of Pong in place of one of the bars. His opponent is MewTwo, who is TK the other bar in order to block his opponent. He is forbidden from using his psychic powers on anything besides his bar. Link can move freely around the area and has access to his magic, if that will help. They play until one of them scores 50 points. They score by knocking the ball passed where the bars are supposed to be(Needed to change this so Link could freely move around) If Link, one of Nintendo's strongest fighters, can succeed he will be carried to round 3.

Round 3messedpacewar!

Link is given a brief tutorial on how his ship is piloted from inside the cockpit before being tossed into a dog fight. His opponent, Fox McCloud, is in an enemy ship that is exactly the same. Since I'm a fair sport, Link is allowed to have a coach during this stage. This guy will do. His spells will also work accordingly: Nayru's Love will provide an over shield which will allow Link's ship to take 5 extra hits, Den's Fire will give Link a powerful missile attack(counts as 2 shots if it hits), and Farore's Wind will give Link control over the hyperspace function, which Fox will not have. They go at it until one of them is hit 10 times and the ship explodes. Watch out for the star in the middle though, don't want to get sucked in. If Link, one of the best quick learners, can succeed he is taken to round 4.

Round 4:Pacman.

Link is tossed into the Pacman labyrinth. He is out of magic, the WoG is broken, and he only has his Master Sword. He must find a way to get behind Pacman and stab him in order to get out. Any frontal attack will result in Link being eaten alive. But remember, the Master Sword is dull. Link must first get a power pellet(One of the big balls) to make his sword sparkle. Pacman will move at a slightly faster pace than Link, making a long stretch dangerous for our young hero. He will also be able to smell Link if he is too close. All the fruit and normal pellets are still in the labyrinth though Pacman does have the ability to eat them up. Does Link, one of the noblest and cunning warriors, have what it takes to pull off a Theseus and defeat his mighty opponent and win the gauntlet?

Note: Regardless of success or defeat, Link is transported back to the Sora vs Link thread in his OoT incarnation. stick out tongue

MooCowofJustice
Round 1: The ****? Is this basically Link playing a game of Tetris?

Round 2: How big is Link compared to the pong bar?

Round 3: How many hits is it if Link puts up the shield and hyperspace rams Fox's ship?

Round 4: Sword throw. Winz.

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Round 1: The ****? Is this basically Link playing a game of Tetris?

Round 2: How big is Link compared to the pong bar?

Round 3: How many hits is it if Link puts up the shield and hyperspace rams Fox's ship?

Round 4: Sword throw. Winz.

Basically but with Donkey Kong throwing them at faster than normal rates.

Smaller. Compare an 18-wheeler to a normal car and you get the picture.

20 hits, to each. Meaning they both die. stick out tongue

Can think of a better strategy, less risky too.

Super Marie 64
An interesting idea, but despite all his feats, much of this can't be gauged. You can take certain factors in consideration, but that won't suffice in most of the cases.

As for Pacman, the only real reason people manage that game, is because you have the bird perspective. It wouldn't be a real Pacman game for him, but rather just a labyrint without markings that can go on forever (Depending on which level). Link in all his glory, but many of theserounds don't matter if it's Link or anyone else. Especially since Pacman can see the whole level, and Link can't.

Pacman is omniscient, while Link ain't.

MooCowofJustice
Sounds like spite on Pong.

Lame on round 3.

I can't, considering you made Pacman faster than Link. Unless Pacs is terrified of how awesome he is.

Super Marie 64
As Pacman is faster, Link is dead for sure. Spite round. Not that it would be a fair game anyway.

MooCowofJustice
PONG IS EVEN MORE LAME, AS LINK LACKS THE WEIGHT TO STOP THAT BALL!

A poorly thought out thread indeed.

link-rape

TheAuraAngel
Sounds like spite on Pong.

Lame on round 3.

I can't, considering you made Pacman faster than Link. Unless Pacs is terrified of how awesome he is.

Link can teleport to block the ball. Oh how spitey.

Why lame?

Slightly faster equals an automatic speed blitz? No, just means Link will not be able to out run Pacman in a given straight. Link has to maneuver in order to live.

Originally posted by Super Marie 64
An interesting idea, but despite all his feats, much of this can't be gauged. You can take certain factors in consideration, but that won't suffice in most of the cases.

As for Pacman, the only real reason people manage that game, is because you have the bird perspective. It wouldn't be a real Pacman game for him, but rather just a labyrint without markings that can go on forever (Depending on which level). Link in all his glory, but many of theserounds don't matter if it's Link or anyone else. Especially since Pacman can see the whole level, and Link can't.

Pacman is omniscient, while Link ain't.

I was under the impression that Pacman would only see what is in front of him. We can see the entire labyrinth when we play Pacman but he shouldn't be able to. I wouldn't think anyway.

link-rape

What's that? Couldn't hear you over your insane Imp Midna love.

I don't know why Link is unable to hit the ball. Super strength go somewhere all of a sudden?

Super Marie 64

link-rape Pacman being faster, knowing where Link is and must be attacked from the back. Agreed.

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
Link can teleport to block the ball. Oh how spitey.

Why lame?

Slightly faster equals an automatic speed blitz? No, just means Link will not be able to out run Pacman in a given straight. Link has to maneuver in order to live.

What's that? Couldn't hear you over your insane Imp Midna love.

I don't know why Link is unable to hit the ball. Super strength go somewhere all of a sudden?

DIDN'T SEE THAT SPECIFIED IN THE PARAGRAPH. MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE MORE SPECIFIC ABOUT WHAT HE CAN USE IN EACH ROUND.

Taking away an easy win that was not specified against in the description.

Yeah, maneuver. How, exactly, can you put Link behind Pacman in one of these mazes and allow Link to stab Pacman if Pacman is faster?

Don't hate the player, son. Hate the lame game that you created.

Gotta teach physics in this thread too? Go shove a brick wall, see what happens. Imagine, now, if it was moving at you. Super strength doesn't help that problem.

Of course, you also failed to specify a Link. So yeah, that super strength might not be there.

Super Marie 64
I was under the impression that Pacman would only see what is in front of him. We can see the entire labyrinth when we play Pacman but he shouldn't be able to. I wouldn't think anyway.

If Pacman can not see the entire labyrinth, he wouldn't be able to know where everything is. Which he does.

TheAuraAngel
DIDN'T SEE THAT SPECIFIED IN THE PARAGRAPH. MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE MORE SPECIFIC ABOUT WHAT HE CAN USE IN EACH ROUND.

Taking away an easy win that was not specified against in the description.

Yeah, maneuver. How, exactly, can you put Link behind Pacman in one of these mazes and allow Link to stab Pacman if Pacman is faster?

Don't hate the player, son. Hate the lame game that you created.

Gotta teach physics in this thread too? Go shove a brick wall, see what happens. Imagine, now, if it was moving at you. Super strength doesn't help that problem.

Of course, you also failed to specify a Link. So yeah, that super strength might not be there.

Maybe you should read instead of complaining about my lame thread. Helps a lot. :O

Edit: My apologies for being rude.

If this was meant to be easy, he'd not be put against Star Fox. And Link can use Nayru's Love in conjunction with Farore's Wind all of a sudden?

Idk. I suppose the same way all Nintendo characters attack bosses that are bigger than them. Using their smarts.

These are all old games, none of them are lame. Not to mention I've seen worse threads. stick out tongue

?

If I shove a brick wall with super strength, it will break. If it was coming at me and I hit it, it would break. Only problem I see is the need to specify a height for the ball(size of a basketball for simplicity) and say it's indestructible.

It is OoT Link. Would have thought the note at the end was specific enough but looking back, it wasn't.

If Pacman can not see the entire labyrinth, he wouldn't be able to know where everything is. Which he does.

Go get a diagram or fire escape map of a bulding, a school for example. Study it, memorize it. There ya go. Now you know where everything is without being able to see it all. And of course, you can't see the people.

MooCowofJustice
Maybe you should read instead of *****ing at my lame thread. Helps a lot. :O

If this was meant to be easy, he'd not be put against Star Fox. And Link can use Nayru's Love in conjunction with Farore's Wind all of a sudden?

Idk. I suppose the same way all Nintendo characters attack bosses that are bigger than them. Using their smarts.

These are all old games, none of them are lame. Not to mention I've seen worse threads. stick out tongue

?

If I shove a brick wall with super strength, it will break. If it was coming at me and I hit it, it would break. Only problem I see is the need to specify a height for the ball(size of a basketball for simplicity) and say it's indestructible.

It is OoT Link. Would have thought the note at the end was specific enough but looking back, it wasn't.

MAKE ME!

It never said he couldn't. And I didn't see why not.

Those bosses are not faster than them and running away while the hero is required to stab said boss from behind.

Your thread is lame.

Your definition of a shove and mine must be different. While you'd break the wall, you would also go backwards, because the wall is heavier than you are, even if you were fat. Same problem amplified when it's flying towards you at an unknown speed.

You told me Link is a car compared to the Bar's 18 wheeler. Last Pong game I played, that was the size of the square that I was knocking back and forth. So yeah, you might have wanted to specify size earlier on. POORLY THOUGHT OUT INDEED!

link-rape

K. Well, considering you also only gave him the three items. Strength is probably gone, since OoT's comes mostly from teh gauntlets.

TheAuraAngel
MAKE ME!

It never said he couldn't. And I didn't see why not.

Those bosses are not faster than them and running away while the hero is required to stab said boss from behind.

Your thread is lame.

Your definition of a shove and mine must be different. While you'd break the wall, you would also go backwards, because the wall is heavier than you are, even if you were fat. Same problem amplified when it's flying towards you at an unknown speed.

You told me Link is a car compared to the Bar's 18 wheeler. Last Pong game I played, that was the size of the square that I was knocking back and forth. So yeah, you might have wanted to specify size earlier on. POORLY THOUGHT OUT INDEED!

link-rape

K. Well, considering you also only gave him the three items. Strength is probably gone, since OoT's comes mostly from teh gauntlets.

Can't really.

Can he in the games? Would he when his coach is telling him to do other stuff?

Pacman is not running away from Link. He aims to eat him. It is Link's task to trick Pacman and sneak up behind him and kill him.

Unless I was, you know, grounded. Which I would be. And Link would be. I assume it is moving at the pace of a basketball when tossed.

Under the impression that Link had some nice strength feats without the gauntlets.

MooCowofJustice
Can't really.

Can he in the games? Would he when his coach is telling him to do other stuff?

Pacman is not running away from Link. He aims to eat him. It is Link's task to trick Pacman and sneak up behind him and kill him.

Unless I was, you know, grounded. Which I would be. And Link would be. I assume it is moving at the pace of a basketball when tossed.

Under the impression that Link had some nice strength feats without the gauntlets.

Damn right you can't!

No. But those spells do different things in game. And his coach is a friend of Star Fox. Smells like a set up to me.

In order for Link to get behind Pacman, Pacman is running away from Link. If Pacman is always chasing Link, then he knows where Link is going so it's still Spite, because Link has no chance to get behind Pacman, who will catch him because he is faster.

That's ridiculous. Even with bracing yourself against the ground, your hold is mostly friction, provided your feet aren't going up a hill. Friction does not hold that much. This is like saying that if I had super strength I could stop a bus on a dime by letting it hit me. Pushing it, yeah, I could knock it somewhere and stop it from crossing a line, but where does that leave me? Whooshing through the air like a deadline.

Unless I completely forgot something, no, not really. My forgetfulness is very likely though.

TheAuraAngel
Damn right you can't!

No. But those spells do different things in game. And his coach is a friend of Star Fox. Smells like a set up to me.

In order for Link to get behind Pacman, Pacman is running away from Link. If Pacman is always chasing Link, then he knows where Link is going so it's still Spite, because Link has no chance to get behind Pacman, who will catch him because he is faster.

That's ridiculous. Even with bracing yourself against the ground, your hold is mostly friction, provided your feet aren't going up a hill. Friction does not hold that much. This is like saying that if I had super strength I could stop a bus on a dime by letting it hit me. Pushing it, yeah, I could knock it somewhere and stop it from crossing a line, but where does that leave me? Whooshing through the air like a deadline.

Unless I completely forgot something, no, not really. My forgetfulness is very likely though.

Assume that Peppy thinks Link is a new recruit and that Fox will not die if his ship is exploded.

Link and Pacman run about the same speed unless it's a long stretch in which case Pacman will out run him to a slight extent. Link has the ability to get to Pacman's back in small spaces, just not in an overt stretch of land. The challenge to this is outsmarting Pacman's nose. I know how Link can do it. Do you?

Then assume it's like a Zelda game, where Link can bat a 12 ton energy ball and not be knocked a mile back. Not that it matters. I think I retconned it so the ball weighs less than Link.

He cut rather large logs in two like they were made of butter with a small knife. Did this has a kid at that. :O

Super Marie 64
Go get a diagram or fire escape map of a bulding, a school for example. Study it, memorize it. There ya go. Now you know where everything is without being able to see it all. And of course, you can't see the people.

He knows where the ghosts are, so I suppose they are on the map, moving? Cherries have a timer on the map, so you know when and where they will spawn?

BloodRain
1. Is Link at a normal players perspective or in the Tetris game with the blocks falling on him? If former he clears, maybe if the latter.

2. Can't see the ball getting past Mewtwo.

3. Fox is a pro.. 'nuff said.

4. Waka-waka-waka-waka :V He cant run away. If he manages to get a pellet sneaking up on Pacman will be impossible since he can sense Link approaching and is faster then him.

TheAuraAngel
I don't think even the player can be focused on where the ghosts are always at. Otherwise takes the surprise out of the game. And I assume Pacman smells the fruit and decides to go nom nom nom.

Originally posted by BloodRain
1. Is Link at a normal players perspective or in the Tetris game with the blocks falling on him? If former he clears, maybe if the latter.

2. Can't see the ball getting past Mewtwo.

3. Fox is a pro.. 'nuff said.

4. Waka-waka-waka-waka :V He cant run away. If he manages to get a pellet sneaking up on Pacman will be impossible since he can sense Link approaching and is faster then him.

1. Former since it's simpler.

2. Should I take it down a notch? Some other TKer?

3. So is Peppy. stick out tongue

4. Maneuvers. And he has a way of outsmarting Pacman's nose.

MooCowofJustice
Assume that Peppy thinks Link is a new recruit and that Fox will not die if his ship is exploded.

Link and Pacman run about the same speed unless it's a long stretch in which case Pacman will out run him to a slight extent. Link has the ability to get to Pacman's back in small spaces, just not in an overt stretch of land. The challenge to this is outsmarting Pacman's nose. I know how Link can do it. Do you?

Then assume it's like a Zelda game, where Link can bat a 12 ton energy ball and not be knocked a mile back. Not that it matters. I think I retconned it so the ball weighs less than Link.

He cut rather large logs in two like they were made of butter with a small knife. Did this has a kid at that. :O

I already assumed that Fox might not die in the explosion. But he will die via the lack of oxygen.

Don't remember seeing that either. All I remember seeing is that Pacman will move at a slightly faster pace than Link. By the way, "slightly" does not have a standard unit of measurement. And no, I don't. Did you give him a can of bean-o or something too that I don't know about because you didn't specify?

12 tons? That's an interesting number. Where did you get that?

See? I don't remember that at all.

Super Marie 64
I don't think even the player can be focused on where the ghosts are always at. Otherwise takes the surprise out of the game. And I assume Pacman smells the fruit and decides to go nom nom nom.

There are four ghosts.

Link is alone.

Pacman is the hunter here, not the hunted.

Not being able to focus on all of them, doesn't mean he doesn't know where they are. I've taken a great amount of levels throughout my years in Pacman, many, many points, but the skills of the player can not be used to gauge the capacity of the character.

To be abundantly clear with my case: Just because you know where the ghosts are, doesn't mean they can't eventually corner you. They are more, and move randomly. There will come a point when you are cornered, not out of lack of attention but as a result of random events conspiring against you.

BloodRain

ScreamPaste
Farore's Wind?

Super Marie 64
3. So is Peppy. stick out tongue

Peppy's just a coach here. There's only so much you can teach, and only at X pace. Fox knows this by heart, all Link has is Peppy's voice and a brief investigation.

TheAuraAngel

BloodRain
Wind against Pacman? Would be hard to set that one up.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by BloodRain
Wind against Pacman? Would be hard to set that one up. Set way point near power pellet, wait, when Pacman is between you and waypoint, snatch pellet, teleport, stab.

TheAuraAngel
Link has no magic vs Pacman.

Super Marie 64
Pacman can only smell Link when he is too close. Would have thought that was enough to convey the meaning that Pacman cannot at all times know where Link is.

Pacman can turn on a dime, and where does this "smell" part come from? He doesn't have a nose. Or are you altering Pacman for the sake of the thread?

ScreamPaste
Link has no magic vs Pacman. Oh, you're ghey then. Meh.

TheAuraAngel
http://games.zhdapps.com/files/2010/06/pacman.jpg

I see a nose. And no, am respecting limitations of the old games. Besides, in the original Pacman he doesn't seem to have eyes either.

Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Oh, you're ghey then. Meh.

He can still win. :O

ScreamPaste
By throwing his sword so far left it comes from the right?

CosmicComet
Proof that Link is edible?

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
By throwing his sword so far left it comes from the right?

Nope. By stripping.

MooCowofJustice
He'll be beamed out in the nick of time.

Pacman likes to eat. Link is edible. No, but I did in a round about way give him some things to use.

ScreamPaste.

Lame.

You expected fruit to do that. Fail.

ScreamPaste's calculations were for a bolt of lightning, I believe. I think you just accepted that it's lightning.

TheAuraAngel
Lame.

You expected fruit to do that. Fail.

ScreamPaste's calculations were for a bolt of lightning, I believe. I think you just accepted that it's lightning.

Why fail again?

?

ScreamPaste calculations were for a spherically shaped electric attack. Not lightning. :O

Super Marie 64
http://games.zhdapps.com/files/2010/06/pacman.jpg

I see a nose. And no, am respecting limitations of the old games. Besides, in the original Pacman he doesn't seem to have eyes either.

He can still win. :O

While I can't see the image, I assume it's the art for the arcade. While I bow to that presentation, there are still a few problems that challenge your poor conclusion:

There's no indication that it's his sense of smell that discover the cherry, and not some other awareness. Can you smell ghosts? And he knows of the cherry the instant it appears, so smell is an unlikely conclusion.

In addition, "cover art" can just as well be simply made to appeal, and doesn't necessarily tell the truth. It's just there to be cute, since he doesn't look at all like that in the game.

TheAuraAngel
While I can't see the image, I assume it's the art for the arcade. While I bow to that presentation, there are still a few problems that challenge your poor conclusion:

There's no indication that it's his sense of smell that discover the cherry, and not some other awareness. Can you smell ghosts? And he knows of the cherry the instant it appears, so smell is an unlikely conclusion.

In addition, "cover art" can just as well be simply made to appeal, and doesn't necessarily tell the truth. It's just there to be cute, since he doesn't look at all like that in the game.

It is actually a 3d rendering of Pacman. Sort of like how a 3D Link proves that Link has fingers and such.

The alternatives are: Hearing it, when fruit doesn't exactly make a sound. Or giving him a birds eye view of the labyrinth, which is the players perspective. The latter is the one you prefer though it seems improbable. I don't understand why Pacman would be able to see where everything is, including himself. He can technically even see his death.

BloodRain
Isnt this like how a player controlled character can react to something behind them only due to the players view? Pacman probably doesnt sense, smell or see how in our view, just running along hoping not to run into a ghost.

Demonic Phoenix
1. Link likely clears Tetris.

2. M2 TK > Link's sword swings 313

3. Can't speak for SpaceWar.

4. LOLSPITE. He gets eaten by Pacman.

Originally posted by CosmicComet
Proof that Link is edible?

link-rape

^ It's in his face vin

~ The power-ups will at the very least turn him edible. Pac-man's faster, and knows where the power-ups are located.

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
1. Link likely clears Tetris.

2. M2 TK > Link's sword swings 313

3. Can't speak for SpaceWar.

4. LOLSPITE. He gets eaten by Pacman.

1. Agreed.

2. Yeah...I think I need to change that. Ideas?

4. Damn it, it's not that spitey. Link has a chance. >_>

Super Marie 64
It is actually a 3d rendering of Pacman. Sort of like how a 3D Link proves that Link has fingers and such.

The alternatives are: Hearing it, when fruit doesn't exactly make a sound. Or giving him a birds eye view of the labyrinth, which is the players perspective. The latter is the one you prefer though it seems improbable. I don't understand why Pacman would be able to see where everything is, including himself. He can technically even see his death.

So it's not original Pacman?

Why must the alternative be hearing it? He's dealing with ghosts, and he's a mysterious ball of unknown origin and nature. Since the game has a supernatural nature, it's not unheard of for a character in a supernatural nature to have a supernatural ability. In this case, possibly a type of awareness.

It's utterly unreasonable to conclude that it's with smell he know where everything is.

All of this is irrelevant, of course, since we know for a fact that he can "sniff" the entire map. Down to every dot and cherry. Even if it was sense of smell, which nothing points towards aside from your "logic", he can smell the entire field, and I assure you that Link give out more smell than a ghost, and if he can smell a cherry the moment it spawn, then I'm rather confident smelling Link won't be a problem.

Even if he can't, Pacman can still turn on a dime, and Link can't be so close as to stab him without him sensing it before and turning around. Whatever the case, Link can't touch Pacman.

Demonic Phoenix
1. Agreed.

2. Yeah...I think I need to change that. Ideas?

4. Damn it, it's not that spitey. Link has a chance. >_>

2. Change the opponent Link faces?

4. His chances of winning against Pacman, are about as great as the chances of Quan admitting his favoured/favourite character loses in a forum battle. 313

TheAuraAngel
So it's not original Pacman?

Why must the alternative be hearing it? He's dealing with ghosts, and he's a mysterious ball of unknown origin and nature. Since the game has a supernatural nature, it's not unheard of for a character in a supernatural nature to have a supernatural ability. In this case, possibly a type of awareness.

It's utterly unreasonable to conclude that it's with smell he know where everything is.

All of this is irrelevant, of course, since we know for a fact that he can "sniff" the entire map. Down to every dot and cherry. Even if it was sense of smell, which nothing points towards aside from your "logic", he can smell the entire field, and I assure you that Link give out more smell than a ghost, and if he can smell a cherry the moment it spawn, then I'm rather confident smelling Link won't be a problem.

Even if he can't, Pacman can still turn on a dime, and Link can't be so close as to stab him without him sensing it before and turning around. Whatever the case, Link can't touch Pacman.

3D Pacman is not necessarily a different Pacman.

Pacman can only smell Link when he is too close. :O

What would happen if Link picked up a pellet, tied his hat around it, and through it to the other side of the labyrinth?

Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
2. Change the opponent Link faces?

4. His chances of winning against Pacman, are about as great as the chances of Quan admitting his favoured/favourite character loses in a forum battle. 313

2. Si.

4. I'd sooner believe the Kyuubi could be Goku than that. >_>

Demonic Phoenix

2. Si.

4. I'd sooner believe the Kyuubi could be Goku than that. >_>

2. Hmm. Dante with Rebellion?

4. So you get how spitey this fight is then.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.