Silver Surfer vs Superman (IN CHARACTER)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Kandy
OK enough "max potential" debates... we've been doing that forever. Who would win if they actually fought in character, with full knowledge that the other character is also a hero and therefore will likely try and defeat the opponent without seriously damaging them?

And no, this doesn't mean you can say "supes wins because the writer never lets him lose in the end". you still have a burden of proof.

Tha C-Master
It's funny because it is really a power of his.

zopzop
This is easy. Surfer.

He actually has a way to disable Superman without hurting him but Supes would need to pummel Surfer into unconsciousness.

Surfer could just drain the solar energy from Superman or bombard him with red sun radiation and weaken him to where they stop fighting and talk it out.

In a straight up fight to the death, my money is on Supes though, but that's not what the thread is about so...

MrMind
surfer still wins, just take a little longer

Mindset
Silver Surfer MD.

TricksterPriest
I think this one depends on why they are fighting. Since we're taking character into account and not just setting them against each other for our amusement, I think motivation should be stated. They're both aware they are heroes, but why are they fighting? It's a hero vs hero comic, we need a reason. There's always some reason they're at odds, like Surfer's been identified as a threat to earth, or Superman is going to explode or something.

King Kandy
a super-race is going to destroy their respective earths if they don't win.

TricksterPriest
So, basically KMC rules, but they're fighting reluctantly and not trying to kill each other.

That's alot harder to call. I might have to give this one to Surfer, given that's he's alot more ruthless to begin with. Superman is more likely to pull punches.

Then again, with the fate of the earth at stake, I could see this going either way.

Naija boy
Surfer for the win

Uriel005
I could see this going either way but surfer has far more advantages. Surfer wih basic knowledge of superman knows about kryptonite and power cosmics a set of kryptonite knuckles into existence and it's lights out superman. However that said I still believe a max power version of supes takes this but as he is right now.... Surfer.

Mindset
Also, SS could be Supes easier w/o having to hurt him that bad.

-Pr-
Superman...

chomperx9
Originally posted by -Pr-
Superman... and why ?

-Pr-
Originally posted by chomperx9
and why ?

because I think that "in character" he'd be a better bet for winning.

chomperx9
because I think that "in character" he'd be a better bet for winning. and why ?

-Pr-
Originally posted by chomperx9
and why ?

His strength, his speed, his intelligence, his powers in general etc.

I just do.

Slaanesh
Surfer..he's more powerful..

GRIMNIR
I think if they fighting using all their powers Silver Surfer win
Power Cosmic FTW

If it was H2H fighting Superman would win.

JakeTheBank
Depends on the confrontation.

Surfer begrudgingly leading Galactus to Earth to feed? I see Superman trying to demoralize/lecture Norrin to convince him to send his master elsewhere and appeal to his better nature. Surfer eventually begrudgingly attacks Superman and tells him to flee this planet while he still can. Superman fights back, Surfer pours on more of the Power Cosmic, Superman endures but is worse for the wear of doing so. Eventually, Superman recharges and beats down Norrin while telling him how he won't lose another planet and he needs to put him down, etc. Surfer relents and plotdeviceplotdeviceplotdevice later, Galactus goes to feed elsewhere and Surfer has a newfound respect for Superman or something.

At least, I find that to be the most likely scenario in character.

If nothing was at stake or worth to Superman really digging down and fighting for, I would say Surfer more than not.

Nihilist
IN character Surfer would more often than not, blast and punch, which Superman would overcome and take the win as punching a win out is what he does.

Lord Feron
If they fought and they knew they were both good guys and stuff. Supes would fly fast and true and start punching and kicking or use heat vision.

Surfer IMO would be dodging and blocking and maybe get banged up a bit. Sufer would blast away at supes and supes taking damage. After a while. Supes would just continue to use the same tactics but maybe just fighting smarter to end it quicker without killing him, basically punch harder in this case. Surfer would fight smarter and change tactic all together. That is when SS would scan his fellow hero for any weaknesses to exploit. he will find them and then just do what was inevitable in every superman vs match up in KMC.

Solidus Black
Would Surfer actually know taht Red Sun energy weakens Supes?

He can probably see the electromagnetic spectrum charging Supes's cells, but to know that yellow powers him and red depowers seems like a stretch

Depowering someone doesnt seem like his battle tactics though.

I suspect SS will try to blast it out with Supes.

If tehy are fighting in space near a sun and they keep amping themselves, i give it to Supes as Surfer when he absorbs too much energy becomes a liability to himself. See the Infinity Crusade series.

batdude123
Superman.

And it's nice to see people still applying out of character tactics for Surfer to win.

Starscream M
Originally posted by King Kandy
OK enough "max potential" debates... we've been doing that forever. Who would win if they actually fought in character, with full knowledge that the other character is also a hero and therefore will likely try and defeat the opponent without seriously damaging them?

And no, this doesn't mean you can say "supes wins because the writer never lets him lose in the end". you still have a burden of proof. superman

by putting surfer in character, you've neutered him far more so than superman

"Id"

Naija boy
Originally posted by King Kandy

And no, this doesn't mean you can say "supes wins because the writer never lets him lose in the end". you still have a burden of proof.

If surfer knows he is a hero he drives the solar radiation from his cells ala hulk. Quick and painless.

Philosophía
You are so funny, Id.

Galan007
Supes.

The Nuul
"In character" how is this any different than any other thread with CIS on which is default?

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Depends on the confrontation.

Surfer begrudgingly leading Galactus to Earth to feed? I see Superman trying to demoralize/lecture Norrin to convince him to send his master elsewhere and appeal to his better nature. Surfer eventually begrudgingly attacks Superman and tells him to flee this planet while he still can. Superman fights back, Surfer pours on more of the Power Cosmic, Superman endures but is worse for the wear of doing so. Eventually, Superman recharges and beats down Norrin while telling him how he won't lose another planet and he needs to put him down, etc. Surfer relents and plotdeviceplotdeviceplotdevice later, Galactus goes to feed elsewhere and Surfer has a newfound respect for Superman or something.

At least, I find that to be the most likely scenario in character.

If nothing was at stake or worth to Superman really digging down and fighting for, I would say Surfer more than not. meh surfer is over that bullshit, if galactus doesnt sate his munchies, the universe dies, thats what he lives by these days. he wins btw. weakness exploitation, bfr or just cumulative blast damage. it's all in character.

paisapower
superman

Black bolt z
Surfer

King Kandy
Originally posted by The Nuul
"In character" how is this any different than any other thread with CIS on which is default?
technically, this is how you're SUPPOSED to do it with the CIS rule... but people usually ignore it, so, i wanted to be extra clear that it is in force here.

Well, there is one difference i suppose; usually fights even with CIS taken into account are to the death

Black bolt z

paisapower
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Proof?

You dont think supes is stronger?

Black bolt z
Originally posted by paisapower
You dont think supes is stronger? No.

I think he is probably more durable.

But i'm sure for every strength feat a supeman fan pulls out a thor fan could pull out an equal or better one. They'd pretty much try to 1 up each other to infinity(which I think both actually have).

Bouboumaster
Still Surfer, but he doesn't ass-rape him 10/10: this time, "in-character", he just beat this boyscout down 9/10. Because it's "in-character".

The only fields where Sups wins against Surfer are this kind: best PR department, best social abilities and shit.

batdude123
No.

I think he is probably more durable.

But i'm sure for every strength feat a supeman fan pulls out a thor fan could pull out an equal or better one. They'd pretty much try to 1 up each other to infinity(which I think both actually have).

Good thing we go by averages then, otherwise Batman would be Spider-man level.

MrMind
superman actually lifted infinity, thor hasn't.
if we go by average superman's still stronger.

vince_slice
Surfer

Brockalizer
Surfer has too many options for dealing with Superman. Whether is the popular energy drain or kryptonite knuckles theories stated in earlier posts or something more exotic like zapping him with blue kryptonite radiation. Superman is pretty straight forward in his fighting. All he can really do is punch, kick, use heat vision or cold breath. Surfer is immune to temperature extremes so excesses of heat and cold will not work. In terms of speed they are pretty equal so a blitz attack is out for both of them. Superman is no more likely to beat Surfer unconscious than Surfer is to do the same to Superman there would have to be an extra that one has over the other and the Power cosmic gives Surfer that edge.
With the "losers Earth is destroyed" edit added by this threads creator the scales tip in Surfers favor even farther. As we saw when Superman was being mercilessly tortured by Gog, we learned he would under no circumstances kill an opponent no matter how many lives were saved. Surfer would have no problem with killing Superman if it meant that his Earth would be spared. Superman is a hero that sees everything in black and white whereas Surfer is a hero that has a more shades of gray perspective.

-Pr-
Superman will kill if forced too. He won't trade one innocent for another.
Superman isn't hurt by Blue Sun radiation.

Black bolt z
Superman isn't hurt by Blue Sun radiation. When has superman ever actually done this?

I know as a fact surfer won't kill (at least the 80s-90s surfer(although mabye current surfer does))

-Pr-
When has superman ever actually done this?

I know as a fact surfer won't kill (at least the 80s-90s surfer(although mabye current surfer does))

The three evil Kryptonians, Doomsday; he was willing to kill Brainiac during OWAW until he realised what it would do.

In general Superman won't kill, but if you push him far enough, he'll do it if there's no other option.

Brockalizer
Superman isn't hurt by Blue Sun radiation.
I didn't say blue sun radiation I said blue krytonite radiation. Killing the 3 evil Kryptonians and Doomsday are different, they are all villians. Killing another hero that is trying save him adopted home is definately not in character for Superman.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Brockalizer
I didn't say blue sun radiation I said blue krytonite radiation. Killing the 3 evil Kryptonians and Doomsday are different, they are all villians. Killing another hero that is trying save him adopted home is definately not in character for Superman.

Then that's even worse, because Blue Kryptonite doesn't hurt Superman any more.

If Surfer was going to cause the destruction of Earth, Superman would do his best to put him down one way or another.

"Id"
Proof? Its all theoretical. Which leads me to reason numero two.

b). Being stronger than Thanos.

welshypeach

carver9
Surfer is just more powerful than any Herald... regardless of weakness exploiting or not. Surfer energy out, versatility (minus weakness exploiting), amping, etc, etc, just puts him on another level. This was acknowledged when they did crossovers with DC and Surfer.

GL's were impressed by his power, Superman was impressed by his power, Darkseid had to sneak attack him due to his power, Orion got STOMPED, etc, etc...

Surfer is in another tier power wise.

A leniant Surfer, sure, anyone can give him a fight but once the gloves come off, I really can't think of anyone in the Herald tier (minus Thor) that could stand up to him.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by carver9
Surfer is just more powerful than any Herald... regardless of weakness exploiting or not. Surfer energy out, versatility (minus weakness exploiting), amping, etc, etc, just puts him on another level. This was acknowledged when they did crossovers with DC and Surfer.

GL's were impressed by his power, Superman was impressed by his power, Darkseid had to sneak attack him due to his power, Orion got STOMPED, etc, etc...

Surfer is in another tier power wise.

A leniant Surfer, sure, anyone can give him a fight but once the gloves come off, I really can't think of anyone in the Herald tier (minus Thor) that could stand up to him.
Sneak attack him? Lol. Darkseid didn't sneak attack him. Darkseid got blasted by Galactus, brushed himself off and immediately saw Surfer and basically one-shotted him as if he were a pest.

And GTFO with bringing up non-canon crossovers as if they mean anything here.

carver9
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Sneak attack him? Lol. Darkseid didn't sneak attack him. Darkseid got blasted by Galactus, brushed himself off and immediately saw Surfer and basically one-shotted him as if he were a pest.

And GTFO with bringing up non-canon crossovers as if they mean anything here.

Surfer had his back turned and Darkseid shot him in the back.

As for crossovers, I agree but it does give us a perception on how each company view these peeps against each other.

Omega Vision
Surfer had his back turned and Darkseid shot him in the back.

As for crossovers, I agree but it does give us a perception on how each company view these peeps against each other.
OMG its like Surfer's face is so much more durable than his back!

No, it gives us perspective on how individual writers view them.

vince_slice
http://i51.tinypic.com/30k5d6x.jpg

carver9
Originally posted by vince_slice
http://i51.tinypic.com/30k5d6x.jpg

This is exactly how I view the fight going.

Black bolt z
Then that's even worse, because Blue Kryptonite doesn't hurt Superman any more.

If Surfer was going to cause the destruction of Earth, Superman would do his best to put him down one way or another. This is in character so surfer won't be trying to destroy the earth.

quanchi112
http://i51.tinypic.com/30k5d6x.jpg This is sig worthy.

-Pr-
This is in character so surfer won't be trying to destroy the earth.

He's leading Galactus there, isn't he?

-----------------------------------------------

also, smh @ last few posts.

Omega Vision
This is exactly how I view the fight going.
Dodging Superman's punch and catching his fist and crushing it?

Its times like these you prove that you don't read shit from either character. erm

Starscream M
is that fanart?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Starscream M
is that fanart?
Obviously.

quanchi112
is that fanart? I think it's a few sketches from pr.

Starscream M
I wonder if the artstyle gives away the artist's bias against superman

his costume is wrinkly and he looks like crap...whereas surfer looks badass and has well-toned buttocks

Omega Vision
has well-toned buttocks
pause

Badabing
The reason Supes lost because it was really Batman. wink

OneDumbG0
has well-toned buttocks Originally posted by Omega Vision
pause x2

Starscream M
pause like you didn't notice stick out tongue

Mindset
Bruce...

Omega Vision
like you didn't notice stick out tongue
No I didn't.

I don't look for that sort of thing.

quanchi112
like you didn't notice stick out tongue Like he wasn't checking out his ass either. I'm with bruce on this one.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Mindset
Bruce... c'mon, it was a joke. embarrasment

vince_slice
surfer looks badass and has well-toned buttocks

laughing
-----------------------

Ironic because the artist draws for DC comics.

Badabing
Originally posted by quanchi112
Like he wasn't checking out his ass either. I'm with bruce on this one. I've always assumed you both batted for the same "team". rainbow durlove

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by "Id"
Its all theoretical. Which leads me to reason numero two.

b). Being stronger than Thanos.

welshypeach

Jack-move. welshypeach And co-signed.

Also regarding blue sunlight, that actually makes Superman stronger and gives him the ability to bestow his powers on other people. Blue K-nite? laughing out loud That has never worked on Superman. Now Bizarro on the other hand.....although, there was that one time in S/B when it gave Bizarro a 12th level intellect. I'm gonna chalk that one up to Mxy. stick out tongue

carver9

Its times like these you prove that you don't read shit from either character. erm

I was just playing, DAMN.

Go to the original Superman vs Surfer thread and look at my posts. I was one of the main ones that was saying Superman would blitz Surfer (but would still lose).

quanchi112
Originally posted by Badabing
I've always assumed you both batted for the same "team". rainbow durlove You always have a new surprise dur up your sleeve.

D_Dude1210
whereas surfer looks badass and has well-toned buttocks

O_O

Brockalizer
Okay admit that using blue kryptonite radiation was a poor example, but the theory is sound for any type of K-radiation. As for Superman willing to kill Surfer I'm not so certain. There is very little doubt that the two characters would try to talk out their differences before engaging in violence. We also know that Superman would be willing to kill if absolutely necessary to save lives. He would not however, as we learned from the Gog torture sessions, be willing to trade one life for another. This is that ideal put to the ultimate test. He would know that his victory would save his world, but he would also know that his victory would destroy another planet. Essentially trading billions of lives for the lives of billions of others. His characters own ideology would prevent him from doing what is necessary.

-Pr-
He wouldn't doom Earth.

Besides, Earth is the nexus of the Multiverse. He'd be sending all of reality to it's death. He won't do that.

TricksterPriest
Superman finds a way to save both. 313

-Pr-
He would too.

D_Dude1210
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Superman finds a way to save both. 313

He does this by staying back and letting the Surfer do all the work...

lionking
What would happen if surfer created a black hole in side superman would it kill him

Allankles

Yeah, it's very far fetched. If anything Supes is more likely to crush SS hands in that type of scenario.

-Pr-
Catching punches is something Superman does quite often, but I'm sure the artist knew that... ermm

lionking
I remember exiles surfer catching gladiators hand who is faster then superman

-Pr-
That's debatable.

lionking
Gladiators moved at 100 times the speed of light

Valtot
why is gladiator faster

Valtot
oh travel speed i thought you meant in combat speed

lionking
He has been on a planet that people moved at 100 times the speed of light

-Pr-
Originally posted by lionking

That's travel speed, not combat speed. Superman has superior feats in that department.

Exiles Surfer isn't canon.

Omega Vision
100x the speed of light is pitiful compared to what Superman has done.

He flew to Rao in seconds in Infinite Crisis, Rao which is IIRC either at the other end of the Galaxy or in another Galaxy entirely.

To compare, if Gladiator's fastest speed is 100 LY per year then it would take him about two weeks to get from Earth to Earth's closest neighboring system, Alpha Centauri.

batdude123
Originally posted by D_Dude1210
He does this by staying back and letting the Surfer do all the work...

Yeah, because between the two of these guys, Surfer is the one with Omniverse and Multiverse saving feats...

What, what?

PillarofOsiris
I remember exiles surfer catching gladiators hand who is faster then superman

This myth needs to die. Gladiator IS NOT faster than Superman. Not even close. He's not stronger than Superman. And he's not even close to as durable either. He's Superman-lite. Not only that, but considering Glads spends most of his time in space, where feats tend to go up in scale due to "space cheese" and he's more often than not portrayed as a ruthless enforcer for an empire, its funny that he still has no feats that make him more powerful than Superman, who as a HERO based on earth is almost always holding back.

SS has no combat speed feats. He has one of the most notorious glass jaws in all of comics. He's been physically beaten by characters who aren't as strong as Superman numerous times.

Superman would beat the SS. I have no doubt about that.

PillarofOsiris
100x the speed of light is pitiful compared to what Superman has done.

This is correct. Superman has rebuilt a city in seconds. He had to lay the foundations of EVERY SINGLE BUILDING, he also had to mix the cement and find all the building materials. Moving 100x the speed of light in a straight line is nothing compared to that.

TricksterPriest
What would happen if surfer created a black hole in side superman would it kill him Doubt it. He's tanked worse. Hell, he's held a black hole and contained it in his bare hands.

D_Dude1210
Originally posted by batdude123
Yeah, because between the two of these guys, Surfer is the one with Omniverse and Multiverse saving feats...

What, what?

Superman's Super-"Writer's Protection" Aura doesn't exist in KMC.

batdude123
Just like KMC's version of Surfer doesn't exist on-panel.

vince_slice
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Doubt it. He's tanked worse. Hell, he's held a black hole and contained it in his bare hands.

Black holes vary in size (and therefore power). You think just because Superman tanked a small basketball sized black hole he can tank one that can swallow entire solar systems? Maybe entire star clusters?

PillarofOsiris
Superman survived a double black hole.

Nihilist
Superman wasnt in the blackhole's though iirc

Miss Maxima
Black holes vary in size (and therefore power). You think just because Superman tanked a small basketball sized black hole he can tank one that can swallow entire solar systems? Maybe entire star clusters? Superman has been inside double black holes before and he didn't have a scratch when he came out.

vince_slice
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
Superman survived a double black hole.

How big were the black holes? The bigger the more impressive.

Miss Maxima
How big were the black holes? The bigger the more impressive. As in double black holes. Like the real ones. A black hole isn't going to harm Superman.

batdude123
Sup, nvr.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Nihilist
Only in comics does it make any kind of difference whether you're "in" a black hole or close to one. stick out tongue

batdude123

Yes he was.

psycho gundam
didn't hurt the other alien that was in there also

surfer has been in a bigger black hole to save galactus when he swallowed the elders

no big d

Miss Maxima
Superman wasnt in the blackhole's though iirc The gravity being close to one or in one makes no difference once you are past the point of convergence. Light is crushed just being close to a black hole.

Nihilist
Yes he was. Do you have a scan ?

batdude123
Originally posted by psycho gundam
didn't hurt the other alien that was in there also

surfer has been in a bigger black hole to save galactus when he swallowed the elders

no big d

Hasn't it been stated on-panel that black holes actually power Surfer up?

Starscream M
comic black holes are about as threatening as depowered juggernaut

psycho gundam
maelstrom was just going to end the universe with one though....

Miss Maxima
comic black holes are about as threatening as depowered juggernaut Except one black hole seriously hurt Thanos. Who is quite durable.

Nihilist
Originally posted by Miss Maxima
The gravity being close to one or in one makes no difference once you are past the point of convergence. Light is crushed just being close to a black hole. Realistically yer, but i highly doubt writers have that in mind.. as real world physics dont apply to comics NVR.

JakeTheBank
comic black holes are about as threatening as depowered juggernaut

Lol this one made me chuckle, actually.

Naija boy
Hasn't it been stated on-panel that black holes actually power Surfer up?

Im not sure how this falsehood came to being. Surfer absorbed energy from a blackhole and used it to power himself up. THat doesnt mean that they automatically power him up whenever he is near them ala the sun to superman.

Nihilist
Except one black hole seriously hurt Thanos. Who is quite durable. You mean the black that was artificially created/designed to kill Thanos, that one.

Thanos was also inside the black hole when it was almost closed, but teleported aboard a passing Skrull ship.

Miss Maxima
Realistically yer, but i highly doubt writers have that in mind.. as real world physics dont apply to comics NVR. If that were true, then people claiming Surfer is so powerful because he creates them, lessons his stock. Wouldn't you agree?

batdude123
Originally posted by Naija boy
Im not sure how this falsehood came to being. Surfer absorbed energy from a blackhole and used it to power himself up. THat doesnt mean that they automatically power him up whenever he is near them ala the sun to superman.

erm

Nihilist
If that were true, then people claiming Surfer is so powerful because he creates them, lessons his stock. Wouldn't you agree? Why would it ?

JakeTheBank
To my knowledge, Surfer can draw energy from all kinds of space crap, right? Like drawing in ambient cosmic energy and what not.

vince_slice
Except one black hole seriously hurt Thanos. Who is quite durable.

Size of the black hole matters though.

The black hole Thanos tanked was two light years wide. Big enough to swallow roughly 500 solar systems. But I doubt the writers are good at math or actually know how black holes work roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nihilist
Size of the black hole matters though.

The black hole Thanos tanked was two light years wide. Big enough to swallow roughly 500 solar systems. But I doubt the writers are good at math or actually know how black holes work roll eyes (sarcastic) Where did it state the size of black hole?

Miss Maxima
Why would it ? If black holes aren't taken seriously because Superman tanked a double one and held one in his hand, then Surfer creating them shouldn't be taken seriously either.

Naija boy
erm

Not sure whats so confusing. Surfer has absorbed energy from the ground in order to heal himself up. He can amp using various sources cuz he is a high end energy manipulator. Blackholes dont power him up in the same way the sun does superman. he however can absorb the energy of a blackhole and use it in the same way he can that of stars, the earth etc. they dont power him up by default.

Nihilist
If black holes aren't taken seriously because Superman tanked a double one and held one in his hand, then Surfer creating them shouldn't be taken seriously either. The difference is Surfer can tank black holes and create them so i dont see your point.

Starscream M
gotta lol at superman holding a blackhole in his hand...even for comic science, that breaks some bar

Miss Maxima
The difference is Surfer can tank black holes and create them so i dont see your point. It only takes a collapse of a star to creat a black hole right? Superman has snuffed out stars before. So why can't he collapse one? The ability to create a black hole shouldn't be any great feat if another character's ability to tank them is made a non feat.

Miss Maxima
Not sure whats so confusing. Surfer has absorbed energy from the ground in order to heal himself up. He can amp using various sources cuz he is a high end energy manipulator. Blackholes dont power him up in the same way the sun does superman. he however can absorb the energy of a blackhole and use it in the same way he can that of stars, the earth etc. they dont power him up by default. Hasn't Superman used other energy sources to power himself up as well?

vince_slice
Where did it state the size of black hole?

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/EndlessMike9/Thanos/?action=view&current=thanosblackhole1.jpg

It says, "drew everything within two light-years radius"

The black hole was actually two light years in radius, that means the actual diameter of the black hole was four light years. Bigger than I thought.

Nihilist
It only takes a collapse of a star to creat a black hole right? Superman has snuffed out stars before. So why can't he collapse one? The ability to create a black hole shouldn't be any great feat if another character's ability to tank them is made a non feat. To my knowledge Surfer doesnt have the collapse a star to create a black hole he does it off the bat/without any other circumstances, Superman only does it through a series of events, big difference imo.

Nihilist
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/EndlessMike9/Thanos/?action=view&current=thanosblackhole1.jpg

The black hole was actually two light years in radius, that means the actual diameter of the black hole was four light years. Bigger than I thought. Cheers, ive never ever noticed that thumb up

Miss Maxima
radius, that means the actual diameter of the black hole was four light years. Bigger than I thought. That doesn't mean it was two light year's wide. Black Holes can draw light from hundreds of light years away and be as small as a pin.

batdude123
Not sure whats so confusing. Surfer has absorbed energy from the ground in order to heal himself up. He can amp using various sources cuz he is a high end energy manipulator. Blackholes dont power him up in the same way the sun does superman. he however can absorb the energy of a blackhole and use it in the same way he can that of stars, the earth etc. they dont power him up by default.

I never said they did, all I'm saying is the fact that Surfer can absorb energy from a black hole (lawl) in order to power himself up makes using him being in one as a durability feat sketchy at best.

vince_slice
That doesn't mean it was two light year's wide. Black Holes can draw light from hundreds of light years away and be as small as a pin.

There's a difference between drawing in "light" and drawing in "everything" as the scan clearly says.

Naija boy
I never said they did, all I'm saying is the fact that Surfer can absorb energy from a black hole (lawl) in order to power himself up makes using him being in one as a durability feat sketchy at best.

Not at all. Surfer can absorbs various forms of energy and use them to power himself up. If surfer gets hit by an energy blast, and no indication is given of him absorbing it and using it to amp himself, then the default conclusion is that he tanked it using durability. THe same goes for whe he passes through stars which he can also absorb but many times doesnt.

Miss Maxima
There's a difference between drawing in "light" and drawing in "everything" as the scan clearly says. Light is the hardest thing to draw in. Everything else is fodder.

batdude123
Not at all. Surfer can absorbs various forms of energy and use them to power himself up. If surfer gets hit by an energy blast, and no indication is given of him absorbing it and using it to amp himself, then the default conclusion is that he tanked it using durability. THe same goes for whe he passes through stars which he can also absorb but many times doesnt.

Saying essentially "black holes hurt him until Surfer decides they don't" is ridiculous.

Starscream M
black holes should hurt surfer as the blackhole essentially exerts an enormous pressure on surfer

black hole isn't some ball of energy...it's more like a super powerful vacuum

vince_slice
Light is the hardest thing to draw in. Everything else is fodder.

Yup, and the black hole in the scan drew in "everything" including light. So I fail to see your point?

batdude123
black holes should hurt surfer as the blackhole essentially exerts an enormous pressure on surfer

black hole isn't some ball of energy...it's more like a super powerful vacuum

Hence me finding it hilarious that he uses "energy from a black hole" to power himself up.

Naija boy
Saying essentially "black holes hurt him until Surfer decides they don't" is ridiculous.

wait what? Whats ridiculous is suggesting that surfer is amped by every blackhole he gets into by default even when such is not indicated on panel. Nothing stops this inane line of reasoning from also be extended to his encounters vs energy blasts or in stars, both which serve as precedents for the same kind of situation being described with the blackholes.

Moreover, surfer was never even in the blackhole he used to amp himself. so statement "blackholes hurting surfer until he decides they dont" is truly dumbfounding

Starscream M
wait what? Whats ridiculous is suggesting that surfer is amped by every blackhole he gets into by default even when such is not indicated on panel. Nothing stops this inane line of reasoning from also be extended to his encounters vs energy blasts or in stars, both which serve as precedents for the same kind of situation being described with the blackholes. but black holes aren't energy...they're the absence of energy. maybe im mistaken though.

Naija boy
but black holes aren't energy...they're the absence of energy. maybe im mistaken though.

Blackholes themselves arent energy obviously, but they do apparently generate and gobble up forms of energy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12465712/ns/technology_and_science-space/

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast23oct_1/

Comic writers however wouldnt even need such real life validation in order to write surfer somehow amping his powers from a blackhole.

Starscream M

Comic writers however wouldnt even need such real life validation in order to write surfer somehow amping his powers from a blackhole. agreed

Bouboumaster

The black hole was actually two light years in radius, that means the actual diameter of the black hole was four light years. Bigger than I thought.

This shit is an insane, insane feat.

carver9
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
This myth needs to die. Gladiator IS NOT faster than Superman. Not even close. He's not stronger than Superman. And he's not even close to as durable either. He's Superman-lite. Not only that, but considering Glads spends most of his time in space, where feats tend to go up in scale due to "space cheese" and he's more often than not portrayed as a ruthless enforcer for an empire, its funny that he still has no feats that make him more powerful than Superman, who as a HERO based on earth is almost always holding back.

SS has no combat speed feats. He has one of the most notorious glass jaws in all of comics. He's been physically beaten by characters who aren't as strong as Superman numerous times.

Superman would beat the SS. I have no doubt about that.

Gladiator is stronger, faster, more durable, better fighter, etc, etc...

There were one issue where he was continuously moving at hyper speed operating a big a** computer. He has also pushed planet size asteroids that was blocking star lanes, busted planets... and has feats of moving and fighting at invisible speeds.

Gladiator is a monster and that's not including his feats of one shotting Heralds or swimming in a star 100 million miles wide like it was nothing... or stalemating sue who was powered by the unipower... or his heat vision matching Tyrants eye beam. Then he completely tanked and walked through a high intense beam from both Binary and Vulcan and him walking through the most fierce alien group in the universe that was teamed with the skrull that was amped off of the power of earth hero's.

Pushing planets... caculated by Reed and Professor X as having unlimited strength.

Allankles
Hasn't Superman used other energy sources to power himself up as well?

He has, in continuity, geo thermal energy and electrical energy off the top of my head.

paisapower
Gladiator is stronger, faster, more durable, better fighter, etc, etc...

There were one issue where he was continuously moving at hyper speed operating a big a** computer. He has also pushed planet size asteroids that was blocking star lanes, busted planets... and has feats of moving and fighting at invisible speeds.

Gladiator is a monster and that's not including his feats of one shotting Heralds or swimming in a star 100 million miles wide like it was nothing... or stalemating sue who was powered by the unipower... or his heat vision matching Tyrants eye beam. Then he completely tanked and walked through a high intense beam from both Binary and Vulcan and him walking through the most fierce alien group in the universe that was teamed with the skrull that was amped off of the power of earth hero's.

Pushing planets... caculated by Reed and Professor X as having unlimited strength.

Gladiator is good but not Superman good

carver9
Originally posted by paisapower
Gladiator is good but not Superman good

I agree, Superman is a much better hero ande if I had to choose out if the two too have on a team, it would be Supes but Gladiator "physically" is on another level.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>