R.I.P Wizard The Guide to Comics is Dead

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
Seriously, no one is talking about this? The magazine of my youth, the magazine that at the tender age of 10 got me hooked on comics, is dead. In the early to mid 90's I would wait impatiently every month for my only real connection to the comic world. When i'd finally get my grubby hands on it i would slowly open the plastic bag as to not bend the special edition what-nots that came with it. Once i got it out I read every page, even the fine print just in case there were a hidden gem deep within. I entered every contest, bought every 0 issue, collected every card, checked, checked and rechecked the value of my meager collection every month(My most valuable comic was a whopping 55 bucks). I thought jim mclaughlin was possibly the funniest guy on earth. Hell, I even learned to draw from wizard. I don't know what happened to cause Wizard to crash, but i bid thee farewell. Thank you for all the sweaty fanboy memories.

inimalist
damn... I'd imagine a similar experience for most of us with Wizard mag...

Omega Vision
Eh, half of the time they seemed pretty out of touch, at least to me.

TricksterPriest
Wow, Wizard is gone? Yeah, they were out of touch, but it was a fixture. sad

quanchi112
Magazines simply can't keep up with the internet. If you can't adapt to the changing times you're going out of business.

They started their descent into madness when they gave darkseid the nod over Thanos. It was sickening.

-Pr-
I just hope Toyfare isn't screwed along with it. If it is... Crap.

Badabing
Originally posted by quanchi112
They started their descent into madness when they gave darkseid the nod over Thanos. It was sickening. They speak truth and your life went downhill.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Badabing
They speak truth and your life went downhill.

thumb up

nice to know wizard got something right...

The Pict
Sucks about Wizard. I bought a fair few issues of that mag.

They speak truth and your life went downhill.

laughing out loud

quanchi112
They speak truth and your life went downhill. I just pm'ed digi. He owes me a favor.

Your days are numbered.

Prep-Man
I haven't bought Wizard in a loooong time. I used to LOVE their specials. I bought all the X-Men Wizard specials and a JLA one, too. When I was a MU fanboy, I bought Wizard every month and the magazine will always have a special place in my heart. RIP.

Entity
Yea it sucks I checked a couple weeks ago because I still had over a years worth of subscription left on it and noticed I hadn't got one in almost 2 months. Wasn't pleased when i learned it'd been discontinued. I use to love getting that every month and reading all the articles and seeing previews of upcoming events, issues and movies.

R.I.P. Wizard

Badabing
I just pm'ed digi. He owes me a favor.

Your days are numbered. laughing out loud

WhiteWitchKing
Sad that it came down to this. They had some really memorable articles. Poor Wizard. RIP.

Last Man Standing:
Mephisto Vs Maelbolgia
Lobo Vs Juggernaut
Iron Man Vs GL

Top 10 Villains of All Time

Omega Vision
^ Why would they make an Iron Man vs GL article? That's horribly one-sided against Tony.

JakeTheBank
Wizard tried to convince people it would be a good fight, iirc.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Wizard tried to convince people it would be a good fight, iirc.
Lol, of course they did.

Then again they're the same people who believe that Black-Hair Goku could beat Superman.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by -Pr-
I just hope Toyfare isn't screwed along with it. If it is... Crap.

Toyfare got canceled as well. They are both going purely online similar to Newsarama or CBR type sites. Hopefully they update the horrible layout and interface they had on the old website.

Digi
Never read a single issue. Meh.

Anyway, long pig, elaborate on these "sweaty" boyhood memories of yours.

biscuits

I just pm'ed digi. He owes me a favor.

Your days are numbered.

I await the check in the mail. Bada, the length of your ban will be proportional to the money I receive. Hopefully quan's broke.

dgrin

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by Omega Vision
^ Why would they make an Iron Man vs GL article?

Because the iron knight vs the emerald knight seems cool.

Iron Man won. Horribly one-sided against Kyle you mean.

-Pr-
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Toyfare got canceled as well. They are both going purely online similar to Newsarama or CBR type sites. Hopefully they update the horrible layout and interface they had on the old website.

Balls.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
Because the iron knight vs the emerald knight seems cool.

Iron Man won. Horribly one-sided against Kyle you mean.
SMH.

How in the Hell did they have Iron Man win?

This mag deserved to die for such ignorance of the medium they covered.

WhiteWitchKing
SMH.

He bombarded Kyle with his repulsors and destroyed or ripped the Ring off.

It's not any dumber than the comics it covers. I think I'll scan any fights I have when I get a chance next week. I'll also be including that Top 10 Villains list I mentioned.

Wizard had some great covers though.

Newjak
SMH.

This mag deserved to die for such ignorance of the medium they covered. It's possible. It wouldn't be the first time Tony has taken down a herald level character or a high herald level character before, and believe it or not GLs would be the most believable ones he could take down given his feats.

I'm not saying IM is beating down a GL that isn't playing around but your typical encounter with CIS on Tony would have a chance to maybe pull 1 or 2 wins out of ten with the GL is playing rough.

Digi
Anyone acting like incorrectly positing an outcome of a battle between two characters is grounds for closure of the magazine is, well, idiotic. Sorry, but so little of the industry revolves around the subset of fandom obsessed with such things, that it really is irrelevant to the entirety of a magazine's run.

That said, if it died out, it wasn't reaching its audience as it once did, so it's likely for the better.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Digi
Anyone acting like incorrectly positing an outcome of a battle between two characters is grounds for closure of the magazine is, well, idiotic. Sorry, but so little of the industry revolves around the subset of fandom obsessed with such things, that it really is irrelevant to the entirety of a magazine's run.

That said, if it died out, it wasn't reaching its audience as it once did, so it's likely for the better.
I love you too, Digi. big grin

kevdude
Yeah it was a alright magazine and I bought a few but I never subscribed, if they have a issue thats interesting to me I'll buy it but not gonna waste money and get issues for a whole year.

Digi
I love you too, Digi. big grin

Lul. I just saw the comment, not the poster. A vs. forum mentality to everything comic related irks me a lot more than it used it.

Anyway...er, yeah...take it!

fdog

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.