Best Martial Art, Internal or External.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Martial Artist
People go on about Jui Jitsu, but going to the ground in a street fight is not a good idea. I have learnt many styles Karate, Judo, Tai Kwon Do, Boxing, Jui Jitsu, Chinese Boxing, Muay Thai and I am an expert in them all and I believe Qigong is the best form. It makes me able withstand strikes on the chest with a baseball bat. My chi is so strong I can even deflect a blade without it cutting.

What do you think?

psycho gundam
i think that you're delusional as fu<k

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by psycho gundam
i think that you're delusional as fu<k /thread

Martial Artist

Ah, grasshopper, you may think this but the glass to you is half empt to me; however, it is half full.

batdude123
Originally posted by Martial Artist
People go on about Jui Jitsu, but going to the ground in a street fight is not a good idea. I have learnt many styles Karate, Judo, Tai Kwon Do, Boxing, Jui Jitsu, Chinese Boxing, Muay Thai and I am an expert in them all and I believe Qigong is the best form. It makes me able withstand strikes on the chest with a baseball bat. My chi is so strong I can even deflect a blade without it cutting.

What do you think?

http://httpservererror503.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/7868c9eaa99d.gif

Martial Artist
Originally posted by batdude123
http://httpservererror503.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/7868c9eaa99d.gif

I am learning to channel my chi, I can almost put a candle out with it.

batdude123
I am learning to channel my chi, I can almost put a candle out with it.

You can't do that yet?

Damn breh, you need to step your game up.

Martial Artist
You can't do that yet?

Damn breh, you need to step your game up.

I have been training as hard as I can, I will try and do better. Like all superb martial artists on the internet and elsewhere I strive to be humble; although, I am awesome.

batdude123
I have been training as hard as I can, I will try and do better. Like all superb martial artists on the internet and elsewhere I strive to be humble; although, I am awesome.

Indeed.

And maybe some day you can be on my level, though I doubt it. Keep reaching for those stars. smile

Martial Artist
Indeed.

And maybe some day you can be on my level, though I doubt it. Keep reaching for those stars. smile

Anything is possible, what's your style BD?

batdude123
Anything is possible, what's your style BD?

Tiger, Crane, Praying Mantis, Muay Thai, Ninjitsu, Kyokushin, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Jeet Kun Do, Greco-Roman wrestling, and Hawaiian Kempo.

Martial Artist
Tiger, Crane, Praying Mantis, Muay Thai, Ninjitsu, Kyokushin, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Jeet Kun Do, Greco-Roman wrestling, and Hawaiian Kempo.

I thought it might be a rara skirt and pumps. night old pal wink

batdude123
I thought it might be a rara skirt and pumps. night old pal wink

Only on formal occasions.

inimalist
My chi is so strong I can even deflect a blade without it cutting.

test?

Lord Lucien
My chi is strong that I fired a Kamehameha that destroyed a continent, and I wasn't even tired.

StyleTime
Why do all those?

Mugen Tenshin is all you need.

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/6083/hayatedoa.jpg

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by StyleTime
Why do all those?

I'm assuming he meant throughout his whole life.

I currently am only doing 4 (3 of which at the same school), but throughout the span of my life, I've tried/done upwards of 15, or so.

Mindship
My chi sets off F3 tonadoes during allergy season. Kazedo (the Way of the Wind) ftw.

RE: Blaxican
I just use guns.

Have yet to be defeated in the ring yet.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I'm assuming he meant throughout his whole life.

I currently am only doing 4 (3 of which at the same school), but throughout the span of my life, I've tried/done upwards of 15, or so.
I was joking. I think he was too.

Except about being a ninja. ninja
Originally posted by Mindship
My chi sets off F3 tonadoes during allergy season. Kazedo (the Way of the Wind) ftw.
You are now my rival.
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I just use guns.

Have yet to be defeated in the ring yet.
You've been fighting noobs. Bullets are no match for ki and ninja shenanigans.

Unless you're using Ninja Ki Guns.

Robtard

mango4u

What do you think?

my thoughts exactly

mango4u
oops double post. love internet

Mindship

Omega Vision
Are you Johnny Cage by chance?

chipper7777

Robtard
S.C.A.R.S. self defense is supposed to be on par with Krav Maga, basically taking down/out your opponent as fast and efficiently as possible.

The US Navy SEALS use it.

BruceLeesGhost
Martial Artist my prodigy... hiiiiiiiiiyaaaa..... You are right these westerners will never understand true Martial Arts.

King Kandy
zlybPPTAvx4

Mindset
laughing out loud

StyleTime
Originally posted by King Kandy
zlybPPTAvx4
Nice find. I'm glad the guy was ok, but I can't help but feel like "what the **** did he think would happen?"

He says he's done it a thousand times before, so maybe he was just having an off day. laughing out loud

King Kandy
Iron Kung Fu vs. bladed weapons is ludicrous... for something so many people claim to be able to do, you'd think there would be actual, legitimate video footage of someone demonstrating it. The fact that there isn't, makes it almost certain that the technique does not really exist.

chipper7777
come to think of it, ninjutsu might be it. they follow the principles and discipline of a ninja. all about self discipline and self respect, never about fighting

FistOfThe North
Muay thai.

StyleTime
Originally posted by chipper7777
come to think of it, ninjutsu might be it. they follow the principles and discipline of a ninja. all about self discipline and self respect, never about fighting
I'm pretty sure ninjutsu was largely focused on violence.

Bicnarok
A mixture off all.

Or a gun.

StarCraft2
mma

mma

mma

mma

mma

mma

mma

mma

mma

beats all

Stella Artois
Originally posted by StarCraft2
mma

mma

mma

mma

mma

mma

mma

mma

mma

beats all

You see I don't think it does on 'the street', It's just a way to make wrestlers feel like they do martial arts.

Mateea
hm.. I've been practicing Vovinam Viet Vo Dao since I was 5 (btw,I'm 16 now) and I think this style is a great mixture of techniques (attack and defense- both weaponless and armed). it has helped me a lot, although i never got into a very dangerous street fight..but it really does as described on the internet

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Stella Artois
You see I don't think it does on 'the street', It's just a way to make wrestlers feel like they do martial arts. laughing

Quiero Mota
Iron Kung Fu vs. bladed weapons is ludicrous...for something so many people claim to be able to do, you'd think there would be actual, legitimate video footage of someone demonstrating it. The fact that there isn't, makes it almost certain that the technique does not really exist.

Oh really?

KArX8iNnY4Q

King Kandy
That is pretty impressive, but its hardly on the level of what that Filipino guy was trying. That was done under very controlled conditions and preparation, and, anyway, provides no evidence of resistance to the actual kinds of attacks he could encounter.

srankmissingnin
Oh really?

KArX8iNnY4Q

Parlor tricks. I would love to see what would happen if an impartial third party with some fallow through swung that bat. cool

Symmetric Chaos
You never get a very good angle on it but the traditional methods for that trick are using a rounded point and positioning yourself to take the force on flat of the blade. It's worth noting that the didn't throw the spear at him like the show with the watermelon or any other use of the spear outside of that one ancient trick. Have him get stabbed in the gut and walk away, then we'll talk about chi.

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Parlor tricks. I would love to see what would happen if an impartial third party with some fallow through swung that bat. cool

Yeah, that made me laugh. They really glazed over the fact that the guy only hit the demonstrator half as hard.

Doesn't tell us much anyhow, Houdini could do the same thing without involving any chi.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
You never get a very good angle on it but the traditional methods for that trick are using a rounded point and positioning yourself to take the force on flat of the blade. It's worth noting that the didn't throw the spear at him like the show with the watermelon or any other use of the spear outside of that one ancient trick. Have him get stabbed in the gut and walk away, then we'll talk about chi.

You just had to be that guy, didn't you. The one who's still shaking his head in denial, even after the prosecution has presented all evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. "Yeah, yeah, but I wanna see him do this, this, and that!". Really? C'mon man...

You're just grasping for straws in an attempt to show how unimpressed you are by a clearly incredible feat. That's the same kind of thing that habitual one-uppers do. I could always say this: Let's see you do that if you think its just smoke and mirrors. And if you don't have the spine to do it, then I rest my case.

Yeah, that made me laugh. They really glazed over the fact that the guy only hit the demonstrator half as hard.

Doesn't tell us much anyhow, Houdini could do the same thing without involving any chi.

Now that's debatable. Houdini was killed by a punch to the abdoment...how lame is that? I've been in scraps and walked away with worse, and I'm still here breathing. So if he got bumped but such a petty manouver, its highly unlikely that he could take a blade to the throat with 2,900 PSI and walk away from it. More like he'd decapitate himself.

He was killed a punch for Christ's sake, and you're saying he could do what that Shaolin Monk did? Please. He was an escape artist, not a martial artist.

dadudemon
You just had to be that guy, didn't you. The one who's still shaking his head in denial, even after the prosecution has presented all evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. "Yeah, yeah, but I wanna see him do this, this, and that!". Really? C'mon man...

You're just grasping for straws in an attempt to show how unimpressed you are by a clearly incredible feat. That's the same kind of thing that habitual one-uppers do. I could always say this: Let's see you do that if you think its just smoke and mirrors. And if you don't have the spine to do it, then I rest my case.

I don't think SC is wrong, at all. The tip is rounded and he does support some of the force on his his clavicles with the flat portion of the blade.

Still, that's 2900 psi. Even if the blade slightly flattens and gives more support, that's a lot of force in a very small area. I do not think, even a little, though, that it is outside the realm of science, like the video suggests. That was pseudo-science, at best. "The blade flattens and you can see the mark." Yeah...the 2900 psi probably would change since it's spread out over a larger area than they are estimating. How is that gauge measuring? Does it assume one square inch on the other end? If so, what is the upper limit for a regular human? Then measure what he is. Is he greater than 2 standard deviations above the regular human upper limit?

Boom.

Answers.

And I'm not even coming close to doing a "real" science suggestion. That lady that had the Ph.D. probably knew better. But she was getting paid quite well to be on that show.

Symmetric Chaos

Where did I say it wasn't impressive? It's amazing. But it doesn't prove what people pretend it does, though building a myth around a trick is great for producing a sense of magic. Like I knew this guy who though he was hot shit with math because he knew how to multiply large numbers in his head really fast so I had someone write me a calculus problem and gave it to him.

Though from your tone I assume some of this is feigned trolling.

Now that's debatable. Houdini was killed by a punch to the abdoment...how lame is that? I've been in scraps and walked away with worse, and I'm still here breathing. So if he got bumped but such a petty manouver, its highly unlikely that he could take a blade to the throat with 2,900 PSI and walk away from it. More like he'd decapitate himself.

He was killed a punch for Christ's sake, and you're saying he could do what that Shaolin Monk did? Please. He was an escape artist, not a martial artist.

Houdini was killed by a punch he was completely unprepared for . . .

MetalIsDead
Chi as an "energy" in MA doesn't exist, period. Only a 5 years old would buy that crap. What the old fighters mastered and was later mystified as "chi" is the precise muscular balance of strength and relaxation when hitting and the biomechanical centrifugal forces.

One vs one MMA is the best. But in a general street scenario, perhaps krav or Kempo would be more useful.

King Kandy
Originally posted by MetalIsDead
Chi as an "energy" in MA doesn't exist, period. Only a 5 years old would buy that crap. What the old fighters mastered and was later mystified as "chi" is the precise muscular balance of strength and relaxation when hitting and the biomechanical centrifugal forces.

One vs one MMA is the best. But in a general street scenario, perhaps krav or Kempo would be more useful.
The great thing about MMA is you can "mix" those disciplines in. That's why its called MMA.

Mr Parker

man this site has gone downhill, an interesting thread comes along and the first reply to it ruins the whole thing.

Symmetric Chaos
To answer the title question I have to say that taijiquan "Supreme Ultimate Fist" is probably the most powerful martial art.

King Kandy
To answer the title question I have to say that taijiquan "Supreme Ultimate Fist" is probably the most powerful martial art.
Based on what? I mean I see some impressive stuff at the high levels but I wouldn't put it anywhere near the top...

Robtard
Based on what? I mean I see some impressive stuff at the high levels but I wouldn't put it anywhere near the top...

It has the words "Supreme" and "Ultimate" in the title, duh.

Dr Will Hatch
MMA is designed as a sport, and MMA fighters train under the conditions one would under which they would in a sport. It's not necessarily as useful as "real" Martial Arts.

Robtard
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
MMA is designed as a sport, and MMA fighters train under the conditions one would under which they would in a sport. It's not necessarily as useful as "real" Martial Arts.

Do you really think that in a street fight a trained MMA fighter would hold back groin kicks, eye gouges, strikes to the back of the head and small joint manipulation?

Dr Will Hatch
No, that's not what I meant. I was saying that MMA isn't the most practical MA to use in a real life fight in spite of its popularity. It's primary purpose is for MMA fights, not real fights. In lieu of skill, some punk fighting an MMA fighter is going to get bloody hurt, but the reverse is true when an MMA fighter is going up against, say, someone experienced primarily in Muay Thai or Krav Maga.

inimalist
Originally posted by Robtard
Do you really think that in a street fight a trained MMA fighter would hold back groin kicks, eye gouges, strikes to the back of the head and small joint manipulation?

hell... what "traditional" martial art would be better in a street fight than sport MMA?

inimalist
No, that's not what I meant. I was saying that MMA isn't the most practical MA to use in a real life fight in spite of its popularity. It's primary purpose is for MMA fights, not real fights. In lieu of skill, some punk fighting an MMA fighter is going to get bloody hurt, but the reverse is true when an MMA fighter is going up against, say, someone experienced primarily in Muay Thail or Krav Maga.

most MMA do incorporate some degree of muai thai/boxing.

Krav Maga is hardly a traditional MA. Military combat is a completely different thing from sport MA, yes... ?

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by inimalist
most MMA do incorporate some degree of muai thai/boxing.

Krav Maga is hardly a traditional MA. Military combat is a completely different thing from sport MA, yes... ?

They do, but obviously not to the same degree that someone fully immersed in Muay Thai would be. The conditioning simply would be too time consuming for an MMA fighter. Like I said, MMA's primary purpose is as a sport and not as a Martial Art. MMA obviously has to incorporate Muay Thai and other martial art practices in order for it to work, but it's simply not the same nor as efficient as a MA someone has dedicated a large part of their life to.

I didn't say "traditional" in my post, I said "real". As in, used for actual combat and not for sporting events. A Krav Maga devotee will on average by a more seasoned and combat ready fighter than someone who does MMA. I have nothing against MMA fighters, and think a lot of them do have formidable knowledge of MA in general, but not necessarily the skills needed for combat. MMA is theatrical by it's very nature, so of course there's going to be a a certain trade off in combat efficiency.

Robtard
I don't know, I'd imagine being trained in wrestling, joint manipulation, choking and striking would come in very handy in a "real" fight.

Dr Will Hatch
I don't know, I'd imagine being trained in wrestling, joint manipulation, choking and striking would come in very handy in a "real" fight.

It would be useful in a fight, just not to the same degree as someone immersed in a Martial Art who doesn't worry as much as a MMA person would about sportsmanship. MMA fighters are trained to participate within the rules and boundary's of the sport. Someone engaged in Muay Thai is not. There aren't nearly as many restrictions.

Robtard
It would be useful in a fight, just not to the same degree as someone immersed in a Martial Art who doesn't worry as much as a MMA person would about sportsmanship. MMA fighters are trained to participate within the rules and boundary's of the sport. Someone engaged in Muay Thai is not. There aren't nearly as many restrictions.

Again, not so sure about that. American Muay Thai is loaded and loaded with rules and strikes one can't use.

Traditional Muay Thai fights (say in Thailand), still pretty sure you can't strike to the back of the head, gouge eyes or strike the groin.

inimalist
ya, from my understanding, there would be a difference between muai thai and military combat forms like krav maga or its derivitives

Robtard
Originally posted by inimalist
ya, from my understanding, there would be a difference between muai thai and military combat forms like krav maga or its derivitives

Thai Military uses a form of Muay Thai that's stripped down to be most effective/lethal, iirc. Forget its name. They're probbaly ok with bashing you in the back of the skull.

inimalist
come to think of it, the viet/Thai people had something that was probably similar to that in their traditional militaries

Symmetric Chaos

I was joking.

Tai Chi is an old people relaxation thing these days. But it still has a name that means Supreme Ultimate Fist, like something out of an anime.

Bardock42
I was joking.

Tai Chi is an old people relaxation thing these days. But it still has a name that means Supreme Ultimate Fist, like something out of an anime.

Some people still practice it as a martial art. As far as I know only the first (slow) form of Taijiquan is popular with old people in China.

Quiero Mota

thumb up 'Sport' fighting can easily translate into 'street' fighting, and vice-versa.

Justin White describes using MMA in a real fight better than anyone:

Kt7kMsotOGA

BruceSkywalker
for me it would the warrior arts of the samurai, muay thai, kali or escrima, tae kwon do

King Kandy
I didn't say "traditional" in my post, I said "real". As in, used for actual combat and not for sporting events.
As opposed to Muay Thai, which is used in... sporting events.

AOriginally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Krav Maga devotee will on average by a more seasoned and combat ready fighter than someone who does MMA.
Based on what? Unless they are actually in the military, there's no reason a Krav Maga student will just attract real fights to them.

Robtard

Based on what? Unless they are actually in the military, there's no reason a Krav Maga student will just attract real fights to them.

No, it's true, bad-guys can smell a Krav Magite from 200 paces and will instinctually attack.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.