Link Vs Squall

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kosmic King
Who shall win between Squall (Final Fantasy VIII) and Link (Legend of Zelda)? As everyone always seems to go with "Ocerina of Time" feats, then I've decided to make it the Link from "A Link to the Past".

Now...FIGHT ON!

elfirrepins
By the time Squall gets his turn Link would have already have his way with him (fluttering eyes).

If they both fought, it would be close. Link with all of his gadgets vs. Squall with his magic. In order for the fight to be evenly balanced, both will have to lose all things aside from their weapons (Gunblade for Squall, Master Sword and Hylia Shield for Link). But I think Squall will get a slight edge because of his Renzokuken attacks.

ScreamPaste
Cape.

The Scenario
Ooh, this is different. ALttP Link is a pretty serious spellcaster, as well as having a greatly powered up sword. He's got quite a few options.

As Screampaste pointed out, there's the Magic Cape, making him invisible and intangible. Then, the Cane of Byrna gives him a barrier that hurts anyone that touches it. Then there are the three medallions: Ether, which has a tendancy to freeze everything nearby; Quake, which transforms enemies into harmless critters; and, of course, Bombos, which makes everything explode. Fire Rod and Ice Rod for more burning/freezing goodness, and the Magic Powder for more polymorphs.

This Link also holds the Mirror Shield, and has the Blue and Red Mail, armors that cut damage by 75%. Plus, the Master Sword has been tempered and blessed by a Great Fairy, so it's stronger than ever.

I say Link wins.

MooCowofJustice
Cape rape.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by The Scenario
Ooh, this is different. ALttP Link is a pretty serious spellcaster, as well as having a greatly powered up sword. He's got quite a few options.

As Screampaste pointed out, there's the Magic Cape, making him invisible and intangible. Then, the Cane of Byrna gives him a barrier that hurts anyone that touches it. Then there are the three medallions: Ether, which has a tendancy to freeze everything nearby; Quake, which transforms enemies into harmless critters; and, of course, Bombos, which makes everything explode. Fire Rod and Ice Rod for more burning/freezing goodness, and the Magic Powder for more polymorphs.

This Link also holds the Mirror Shield, and has the Blue and Red Mail, armors that cut damage by 75%. Plus, the Master Sword has been tempered and blessed by a Great Fairy, so it's stronger than ever.

I say Link wins. Basicly this.

Also, aLttP Link has a shovel. Shovel beastings. UNSTOPPABLE SHOVEL BEASTINGS.

the ninjak
Link schools the kid.

TheAuraAngel
Squall. With not too much difficulty either.

Hai gais, I'm baaaaaaccccckkkkk! =D

MooCowofJustice
Let's do this:

Cape rape.

Counter?

Nephthys
Squall pulls a black hole out of his pocket and lets rip.

Link can't use his cape forever. Plus, its not even a required (canon) item in the game.

MooCowofJustice
That cape will last plenty long enough to best Squall.

TheAuraAngel
Link does not wield the strength to harm Squall.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
Link does not wield the strength to harm Squall. Squall's been impaled by an icicle, I disagree. no expression

TheAuraAngel
He also survives having 99 Black Holes in his pocket. :O

MooCowofJustice
Basic swordplay sends fully armored knights flying, damages massive beasts that at least one of is made of stone, titan mitts.

NemeBro
Squall can wield a laser sword that is thousands of miles long, and bring it down on Link.

GrieverSquall
Squall's Pants >>> Zeldaverse.

TacDavey
Oh boy. Do we really need to talk about how the 99 black holes are gameplay mechanics?

Also, Squall should be better defined. None of the spells or GFs in the game are canonly his. What spells or GFs does he have, if any?

GrieverSquall
GFs are canon, magic also. Squall has Ifrit (he obtains it in the Fire Cavern), Diablos (Cid gave him the Magic Lamp) and well, probably Quezacoatl and Shiva since they are his default GFs. Those are the ones he has in canon... even though all of them are canon, lol.

And Tac, don't take Squall's Pants so seriously, please have fun!

MooCowofJustice
99 black holes in his pocket.

Final Fantasy is stupid.

Nephthys
Tomba is stupid.

ScreamPaste
Icicle > 131

Nephthys
Obviously it was just a really sharp icicle. Like, >>>> 99 black holes in sharpitude.

MooCowofJustice
Tomba is better than any Final Fantasy game.

GrieverSquall
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice

No. no expression

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by GrieverSquall
No. no expression

Yes.

TheAuraAngel

Lies.

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
Lies.

Truth.

TheAuraAngel
Truth.

You have not played all FF games, therefore you cannot know. So you lie.

MooCowofJustice
Why would I need to play all the FF games? Is it not true that some are unanimously considered to be the best of them all?

Technically I'd only have to play the ones that matter to people. So, 6, 7, 8, 10, 13 (done it), and like, 5?

Three of those can suck my balls.

/cartman

TheAuraAngel
Why would I need to play all the FF games? Is it not true that some are unanimously considered to be the best of them all?

Technically I'd only have to play the ones that matter to people. So, 6, 7, 8, 10, 13 (done it), and like, 5?

Three of those can suck my balls.

/cartman

Popular=/=Best.

You have not played all the ones that matter then. Like for me, I like FFIX more than any of those. And that's not even considering Tactics, which is loved by a lot of fans.

Which 3? 7,8,10?

MooCowofJustice
I understand this concept.

I don't know which number IX is. 9? I've heard absolutely nothing of it. If you can prove to me that it's worth a shot then I'll add it to the list when I start playing FF games. And Tactics? I haven't heard of that either.

6, 7, and 8. Might add 10 to the list though. Those damn fairies in KH2 irritate the hell out of me.

TacDavey
Originally posted by GrieverSquall
GFs are canon, magic also. Squall has Ifrit (he obtains it in the Fire Cavern), Diablos (Cid gave him the Magic Lamp) and well, probably Quezacoatl and Shiva since they are his default GFs. Those are the ones he has in canon... even though all of them are canon, lol.

And Tac, don't take Squall's Pants so seriously, please have fun!

But it isn't canon that Squall uses those.

Wasn't sure if it was serious. It isn't far fetched to think that would actually be a debated point here on KMC.

NemeBro
Tactics is the best Final Fantasy game.

This is a fact.

Blight
I prefer 6. If someone says 6 can lick their balls, they have no opinion worth saying in writing.

Phanteros
Originally posted by Blight
I prefer 6. If someone says 6 can lick their balls, they have no opinion worth saying in writing. I guess you have to lick your balls then.

Zack Fair
AlttP Best.Zelda.Ever

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Nephthys
Tomba is stupid.

WTF IS THIS SHIT

Cyner
This thread is amazing.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by NemeBro
Tactics is the best Final Fantasy game.

This is a fact.

thumb up

Tactics is awesome. I remember thinking the game was shit at first because I was riding on the FF7 fanboyism and I thought it was going to be 7 Plus. Turns out if was a masterpiece.

Nephthys
FFIX was the best Final Fantasy game. Suck it.

I say this having never played Tactics, FF7 or FF6.

Drunkard Kid
FFIX 4 Life.

Game Mechanics wise, Squall wins. Magic Cape + a few MP regening potions <<< 100 Heroes and 100 Holy Wars. If he had some Chateau Romani from Majora's Mask, then it'd be a stalemate for at least 3 days.

Featwise, its trickier since neither of them have really clear feats outside of gameplay.

Dissidia Squall would turn AttP Link to mince in close range, though, but the power levels in that game were wonky for the sake of balance. Not to mention that Squall was basically the Ace in that game. Like hell, Squall would need to lead Bartz and Zidane around like a big brother.

bigboss20
im pretty sure link would pwn squall, link wasnt in a disney related game, and he isnt a whiney emo *****!! plus hed use ether and then just stab the shit out of squall

XanatosForever
Originally posted by bigboss20
im pretty sure link would pwn squall, link wasnt in a disney related game, and he isnt a whiney emo *****!! plus hed use ether and then just stab the shit out of squall

Sure you're not confusing your FF heroes there, bub?

XanatosForever
ALttP Link's spellcasting is formidable, but I do think it's something Squall could overcome. The link between characters and their Guardian Forces are established early on as canon, with Junctioning being the mechanic to represent the influence of GFs to their compatible partners, even if the rest of it is kept nebulous. By canon, Squall acquires about four GFs: Shiva and Quetzacotl (he starts the story with these two), Ifrit (gained through the final trial to graduate Balamb Garden), and Diablo (Given by Cid via a magic lamp). This means that, at least, Squall will have resistance to ice and fire from Shiva and Ifrit, respectively. This offers a hard counter to the Rods, and Junctioned GFs also offer smaller buffs against other status effects besides their primaries. With the four, I think it'll be enough to keep Squall safe from Link's polymorphing and freezing (is Ether a time stop or a stunning kind of effect?). This isn't factoring in the power of the GFs as a summoning tool for offense.

How does link use the Magic Cape? Can he still attack while under its effects? The Mirror Shield reflects magic, or is it projectiles in general?

I do see this coming down to a sword battle in the end myself, but I could be wrong. Let's see how the debate rolls out.

The Scenario
Let's have a Q&A!

Originally posted by XanatosForever
(is Ether a time stop or a stunning kind of effect?).

The Ether Medallion controls polar winds, allowing it to freeze enemies solid as blocks of ice. Based on what you say about Shiva giving ice resist, I suppose Squall can resist Ether.

He wears it, and can still attack while under its effects. Just can't use any other items, so it's basically sword only, IIRC.

The Mirror Shield of ALttP doesn't actually reflect anything (that doesn't start until OoT, I think) but it is an upgraded shield that blocks lasers that no other shield could.

Bentley
Originally posted by Nephthys
FFIX was the best Final Fantasy game. Suck it.

I say this having never played Tactics, FF7 or FF6.

FFVI is the only one superior to FFIX.

XanatosForever
Originally posted by The Scenario
Let's have a Q&A!

The Ether Medallion controls polar winds, allowing it to freeze enemies solid as blocks of ice. Based on what you say about Shiva giving ice resist, I suppose Squall can resist Ether.

He wears it, and can still attack while under its effects. Just can't use any other items, so it's basically sword only, IIRC.

The Mirror Shield of ALttP doesn't actually reflect anything (that doesn't start until OoT, I think) but it is an upgraded shield that blocks lasers that no other shield could.

Yeah, if it's ice based, I'm positive Squall can resist it, though he might still take damage if there is any kind of damage effect to it.

This is a distinct advantage, but Squall would probably be smart enough to keep his distance once he realizes melee won't do anything. Even if Link keeps it on to defend against Squall's own magic, it becomes something of a stalemate.

It's got a lot of build-up, but just based on visuals, would the shield be able to block something like this? (Starts at :15)

hz6bjvdUYU4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.