Kid Icarus (86) versus Samus Aran (86)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pinkie Pie
All the equipment from their respective games. The fight takes place in Palutena's palace in Angel Land. A fight to the death smile

ScreamPaste
My money is honestly on Samus. =P But I'm unfamiliar with Pit's feats.

Pinkie Pie
Pit has the three Sacred Treasures. The Wings of Pegasus, the Silver Armor, and the Light Arrows. The power of flight, a powerful armor of protection and arrows against fiends of darkness. The last one is not likely to help him here but I think that flying gives him an edge when the setting is an air temple smile

His weapon and armor is inferior Samus Aran but terrain is working in his favor.

MooCowofJustice
I don't think terrain is anywhere near enough of an advantage.

Pinkie Pie
I think it might. Samus Aran has only her feet. That is a huge restriction. Wings is what will make Pit's low-tech weapon and armor import far more than it otherwise would, should he fight without wings smile

MooCowofJustice
But doesn't all of Samus' equipment give her the massive explosions of power bombs and super missiles in addition to the abilities of ice beams, wave beams, and plasma beams with a speed booster, all while giving Samus an extra high jump?

ScreamPaste
I believe Samus gets her equipment from the original Metroid only, Moo. stick out tongue

MooCowofJustice
Haven't played it.

How different is it from the rest of it?

Pinkie Pie
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
But doesn't all of Samus' equipment give her the massive explosions of power bombs and super missiles in addition to the abilities of ice beams, wave beams, and plasma beams with a speed booster, all while giving Samus an extra high jump?

Not this version of her. She only get what she has in that game smile Morph Ball, bombs, that somersaulting move and her common hand-cannon ammo. No extra speed for example.

The easiest way of thinking would be to imagine her equipment in this thread to be that of a prototype of her armor in later games. She only has the most basic things but that make Samus Aran Samus Aran stick out tongue

MooCowofJustice
Doesn't she get space jump in that game?

TheAuraAngel
Doesn't Pit(Don't know why his name isn't in the title) have a mirror that reflects everything?

Pinkie Pie
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Doesn't she get space jump in that game?
She has not discovered that part of her armor in the first game. She does that in Zero Mission smile
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Jump
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
Doesn't Pit(Don't know why his name isn't in the title) have a mirror that reflects everything?
Probably because Icarus was a renown angel at that time and the figures would be bigger if people could relate somehow to the character. The game was a huge success big grin Because it included the endeared Icarus, because it had alternative endings or because it was thoroughly superb, who knows stick out tongue

I think I know what you're referring to and I think that's a temporary power-up. Not part of his equipment smile Was a while since I played though. Pretty sure it is not a default ability.

The Scenario
Kid Icarus was essentially a spiritual sequal to Metroid; they even ran on the same engine, and the Sacred Treasures got a shout out in Zero Zission. Mirror Shield = Gravity Suit, Light Arrows = Plasma Beam, and Wings of Pegasus = Space Jump.

Pit only gets the Silver Armor in the second game, while in the first he gets the Mirror Shield. Have not played it in forever, but I don't think the Mirror Shield reflected attacks, and just prevented Pit from being turned to stone by Medusa, sort of like in the myths.

As for Samus, she's fairly limited in the first game. She's only got the wave beam or the ice beam, not both. Then there's the bombs and Screw Attack. Of course, the first Metroid has Samus' missiles absolutely made of rape as they'll kill anything that's not a boss in one hit, same with the Screw Attack. Also the Varia Suit for half damage.

Pit's best bet here is to stay as far away from Samus as he can, because getting into Screw Attack range will be fatal. Getting hit with a missile will probably be fatal. With the Wave beam, Samus can shoot through walls and could get behind cover, but with the Light Arrows Pit can also shoot through walls, so meh. Wave beam covers more space, though, so it's harder to dodge. All in all Pit has an advantage with wings, but I still think Samus would win just because.

Pinkie Pie
They had the same producer. You expected them to be notably different if they were released in opposite order? They were released two months apart. What you are saying can just as well be Gravity Suit = Mirror Shield, Plasma Beam = Light Arrows, Space Jump = Wings of Pegasus. In order for both to have been released when they were, they must have been in production around the same time. I don't know what point you are trying to make though. Does it in any spectrum of reality matter which was the spiritual sequel of the other? What are you even trying to have said? Nothing? "Essentially a spiritual sequel" is essentially the same as "Not a sequel" stick out tongue

Unless I am wholly coco in the loco, The Silver Armor and the Silver Shield would be the same thing. They are both the third sacred treasure. I did a little research on it and there doesn't appear to be any true Silver Armor. It comes built into the Mirror Shield in the first game, it'd appear, because when he attain the Mirror Shield, he also gain a silver armor. It'd be fetching for straws to say that it's just a fluke, since both are described as a sacred treasure, there are three sacred treasures and neither is a bow or wings. The only reasonable other explanation would be a revise, which doesn't change anything since he has a silver armor in the first game smile

That's not the Ad Hominem we're looking for. Kid Icarus was fairly limited in his game as well, so no point in bringing up that she was. It's appealing to unnecessary thoughts and should be kept at bay.

I too think that in open range, Pit would die by her attacks. That's why I chose the air temple and sacred treasured Pit. He won't go down so easily as to just be shot upon. He should hide and use the environment. Call me a crazy cat lady, but I think the ending would be closer to 5/10 or 6/10 Pit. She is at a rather fair disadvantage with her limited travel area in comparison to him smile

The Scenario
Originally posted by Pinkie Pie
They had the same producer. You expected them to be notably different if they were released in opposite order? They were released two months apart. What you are saying can just as well be Gravity Suit = Mirror Shield, Plasma Beam = Light Arrows, Space Jump = Wings of Pegasus. In order for both to have been released when they were, they must have been in production around the same time. I don't know what point you are trying to make though. Does it in any spectrum of reality matter which was the spiritual sequel of the other? What are you even trying to have said? Nothing? "Essentially a spiritual sequel" is essentially the same as "Not a sequel" stick out tongue

I wasn't really making a point, just noting that the games were extremely similar and referenced each other. The equipment thing refers to the fact that, in Zero Mission, Samus finds the Gravity Suit, Plasma Beam, and Space Jump earlier in the game and can't use them until the final level, in almost exactly the same manner as Pit finds the sacred reasures but can't use them until the end. Seemed like a shout out to me. Kid Icarus also had some Metroids in it (under a different name, though.)

Doesn't matter in the slightest, I just like that kind of random trivia.

http://kidicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Sacred_Treasures

Same, but it seems the Silver Armor isn't noted as an item in the first game, while it is in the second. Same general function, but Pit does not recieve the mirror shield in the second game. Still, Pit's sprite has the armor in the first game, so it looks like he has it.

I meant limited in that Samus does not have her usual arsenal. The original Metroid has fewer weapons and items than any other game in the series, hence she's limited compared to the usual. Zero Mission has likely replaced it in the canon completely. Pit, on the other hand, doesn't have as many other games or items, so sticking with the first doesn't limit him as much as it does her. But you're right, in that it's unnecessary to think of what each doesn't have.

True, Pit has the air advantage, unless Samus can jump high enough to Screw Attack him. However, using the environment isn't as good as it could be since the wave beam will bypass walls completely, as will the light arrows. Cover is only going to be useful in obscuring sight, since both Pit and Samus can shoot through it without a problem.

Cyner
isn't zero mission a retcon of the first game?

therefore making it the true first game? Lol...

Pinkie Pie
He all along had a silver armor when he attained the Mirror Shield. That imply only that they removed the Mirror Shield from the armor set and not that they gave him a whole new item for a third sacred treasure. If Pit was not intended to have a Silver Armor, he would not have it. Shield can for that matter mean armor and not just a shield you hold in your hand smile The shield involvement was probably because he battled Medusa.

I can not remember her shooting through walls though. Through anything, actually. What's on your mind?

Originally posted by Cyner
isn't zero mission a retcon of the first game?

therefore making it the true first game? Lol...
You're saying it is a retroactive continuity and that it is the same game. That's contradictory. Any changes beyond visual makes it not the first game stick out tongue

The Scenario
He all along had a silver armor when he attained the Mirror Shield. That imply only that they removed the Mirror Shield from the armor set and not that they gave him a whole new item for a third sacred treasure. If Pit was not intended to have a Silver Armor, he would not have it. Shield can for that matter mean armor and not just a shield you hold in your hand smile The shield involvement was probably because he battled Medusa.

Yeah, true. I was confused since it wasn't noted as an item while the shield was. I concede to him having the armor here.

VXwVff8ulnU

See about 9:40 for the wave beam beam.

Eh, Zero mission's a remake of Metroid, so it replaces the original in canon. It retcons Kraid's size, among other things.

General Kaliero
For the purposes of this thread at least, Samus' abilities as of the '86 Metroid game are what are relevant, regardless of whether Zero Mission replaces it (which it does, but yeah, not for this thread).

Pinkie Pie
Originally posted by The Scenario
Yeah, true. I was confused since it wasn't noted as an item while the shield was. I concede to him having the armor here.

VXwVff8ulnU

See about 9:40 for the wave beam beam.

Eh, Zero mission's a remake of Metroid, so it replaces the original in canon. It retcons Kraid's size, among other things.

Have a look at that. That would give Samus the very important edge then. Pit could still put up a fight with flight and use of the terrain, which is more important than one might think, but if she is as talented with mathematics as expected of her, I can't imagine terrain being too big a trouble with that weapon. Only for her movement. I suppose that all he can hope for is that she run out of energy eventually and keep himself moving as much as possible stick out tongue

This discovery will certainly make things take a nasty turn for the worse for Pit. Those shots are still not so easy to calculate though, slow and all over the place, so I could estimate to 5/10 smile

GenomeFrozener
Samus, does Pit even have canon feats?

Pinkie Pie
As many as Samus smile

The Scenario
Not exactly...

While I guess you could say that their feats are the same for the purposes of this thread (i.e: NES games only), it's not quite accurate in the overall canon. Samus as a character has feats of strength, speed, and other attributes that are far better than Pit's, though they aren't apparent in the original Metroid. For instance, Samus can wall jump and has supersonic reaction time in Super Metroid, can lift multi-ton creatures in Other M, and dodges gunfire in Prime 2 and 3. None of that can be done in the NES Metroid, but would you say that Samus can't do it? She's the same character in all the games, but looking only at Metroid limits those abilities severely.

However, given the rules of this thread, Pit and Samus are effectively equal in all areas, at least physically. Equipment wise, they're a bit different in that Pit can fly while Samus just jumps ridiculously high.

GenomeFrozener
As many as Samus smile

Could you list them or have you already?

Pinkie Pie
I could've sworn I replied to your post a few minutes ago no expression As I thought I was saying:

Bow, armor, wings, the enemies he fight. You can gather quite a lot from that smile No less than you can gather from Samus Aran at least.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.