Non-Violent religions in teachings and practices.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
I would like to know more about religions out there.

Could you guys list non-violent religions in beliefs AND practices?

In other words, you can't list Pentecostal or Mormons, despite the fact that their religions espouse lots of non-violence: they still support violent actions like the war on terror and justify it with their beliefs.

I'm talking about truly non-violent religions like Jainism or Zen Buddhism.

King Kandy
Some varieties of Hinduism. As well as Gandhi's Satyagraha (which can be both religious and secular).

dadudemon
Thanks. A little background: A theist hater said all religions are violent. I disagreed and she asked me to list just 3. I think I was successful in listing just three but it distrubed me how little I knew about the world's religions and I wanted to discuss and learn more about the world's religions. I was largely unsuccessful with google searches.

On another note, I did learn the Jehovah's Witnessess were really non-violent. They have a thing about not joining the military because of that. I thought that was really neat.

King Kandy
Oh, Rastafarianism as well.

Funny, all these religions are pretty small.

Super Marie 64
Jesus preached non-violence. I wonder what happened to Christianity along the way. Did he really matter that little to them?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by King Kandy
Oh, Rastafarianism as well.

Funny, all these religions are pretty small.

Buddhism has ~half a billion, and yet its probably the least violent religion ever.

Sadako of Girth
Buddism gets my vote.
Taoism.

Hindu violence:
http://www.truthandgrace.com/Hinduviolence.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2065/is_2_55/ai_106560163/

Deadline
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Taoism.

Well its not pacifist.

Sadako of Girth
Ok, but how many Taoist suicide bombers or crusades have their been? stick out tongue

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Super Marie 64
Jesus preached non-violence. I wonder what happened to Christianity along the way. Did he really matter that little to them?

They mostly read this:

"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" (Gospel of Matthew 10:34)

Super Marie 64
That's not the only type of violence. You're pretty obsessive about including those in religion.

Sadako of Girth
Yes, It might seem that way, but Religious violence is there to be criticised, cause the religious seem to obsessively warring based on their scripture.

the ninjak
Buddhism as a faith is non-violent but fundamentalist monks have recently been raiding churches and smashing statues.

So it depends on the individuals.

Sadako of Girth
Well if thats the case, maybe all we can do is try to find the LEAST violent religion, as they all are steeped in the stuff.

People have attacked and destroyed Buddist statues too.

Religion: The great divider

Super Marie 64
Man: The great divider

Sadako of Girth
Thats right: The creation and perpetuation of religion was his finest divised tool for such ends...

Super Marie 64
You are giving religion far too much credit.

Sadako of Girth
If I am the human race will not be found to have been fighting over it , or by its scripture given means for thousands of years, I guess....

Super Marie 64
What?

Dr Will Hatch
Jedi Religion is mostly non-violent. They would be completely non violent if it weren't for those f.ucking Sith.

Super Marie 64
"If it weren't for those other people" is kinda the reason why no religion is completely non-violent. It's not the religion that's violent, it's its followers.

Dr Will Hatch
I know. I was joking.

Super Marie 64
I know. I just felt like saying it, because some are intent on blaming religion for various acts of violence.

ADarksideJedi
Only Religion that is base on nature or worshiping the Devil is Violent the other ones that believe in God is not.

King Kandy
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Only Religion that is base on nature or worshiping the Devil is Violent the other ones that believe in God is not.
That may be the most inane thing you've ever said.

dadudemon
Yes, It might seem that way, but Religious violence is there to be criticised, cause the religious seem to obsessively warring based on their scripture.

BINGO!

You get the point of this thread. Most religions are violent or have violent justifications, at some point. I'm looking for the exceptions to this rule because I felt embarrassed about only being able to list 3 in less than am minute.

I was a bit down about the Buddhist uprisings because I thought they were a good example of controlling your body and mind and mastering this existence. You'd think that a concept of nirvana would prevent violent uprisings...but I guess the oppression was too steep for them to hold back any longer.

lol. Be nice, be nice.

The Dark Cloud
Islam

Omega Vision
Jainism.

So opposed to killing that some of them wear masks to prevent the swallowing of small insects.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Jainism.

So opposed to killing that some of them wear masks to prevent the swallowing of small insects.

Yeah, I thought they were a good selection.

mikeydude
"If it weren't for those other people" is kinda the reason why no religion is completely non-violent. It's not the religion that's violent, it's its followers.
It's quite awkward how much I agree with this statement.

Dom, I cannot give you such religions that are truly non-violent. Or portray some sort of anti-violence in their teachings. Although many religious leaders tried to seek this in their time, most of them failed and ended up with either war, or death.
However I do agree it would be nice to know how many there actually are.

inimalist
all these religions are pretty small.

and they don't run any nations

Sadako of Girth

Religions usually have violent preachings in their texts and therefore are inherently a bit violent.

ADarksideJedi

I am an insane person! smile anyway I believe it to be true. Also devil worshipers do sacifice animals and sometimes humans the same for witches who does the same thing.If that is not Violent then what is?

inimalist
I am an insane person! smile anyway I believe it to be true. Also devil worshipers do sacifice animals and sometimes humans the same for witches who does the same thing.If that is not Violent then what is?

witches? I'm assuming you don't mean Wicca?

King Kandy
inane =/= insane

though what you said did certainly qualify for both descriptions.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by inimalist
witches? I'm assuming you don't mean Wicca?

Yes I do

Deja~vu
Jesus preached non-violence. I wonder what happened to Christianity along the way. Did he really matter that little to them? I agree. I tell people that all the time. Why don't Christians follow what Jesus taught? I know more non-Christians that act more like Jesus than the Christians.

Deja~vu
I think most Karma beliefs are probably more non-violent. They would truly be careful about their actions since it will come back to haunt you.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Deja~vu
I agree. I tell people that all the time. Why don't Christians follow what Jesus taught? I know more non-Christians that act more like Jesus than the Christians.

Some do and some does not.It depends on the person.

Sadako of Girth
Since so many people have different Ideas about what and who Jesus was, it could arguably depend on the Jesus too...

ADarksideJedi
True everyone believes in God but have different ways of pratising.

Deja~vu
Since so many people have different Ideas about what and who Jesus was, it could arguably depend on the Jesus too... The happy Jesus or the mean Jesus?? laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue Exactly....not to mention "I want massive genocidal war to occur in Israel in my name, before I come back and show you all what I nice fella I am" Jesus too....... Or even Ted Neeley.

Deja~vu
Don't you just hate those "Jesus" movies where he never ever smiles? What kind of person would follow a person that never jokes or smiles...baah humbug. Everybody smiles and jokes. So, that couldn't be a real protrail anyway...Heck the bible said he had every temptation that man has and experienced it all to understand what people go though...So, with that in mind, he must had had sex or jacked off. If not, then he couldn't of experienced all that the human race did, but that's a no no to even mention that.....

Naughty naught me for saying this. lol

Jesus had fantasies. He had toooo. Yes he did...Hehe

BTW, I think he taught Karma. It's all Sowing and Reaping...and I like the happy Jesus movies anyway. Happy, happy, Joy, joy.

Adam_PoE
Also devil worshipers do sacifice animals and sometimes humans the same for witches who does the same thing.If that is not Violent then what is?

That is not true.

Even if it was, how does that make them any different than the people of the Old Testament who sacrificed animals and people to God?

Sadako of Girth
Devil/God are the two sides of the same coin.

Reject one, you reject the other. Believe in one, accept the other.
The illusion of them being seperate is just that: An illusion.

Still. Goes to show how utterly rife with such horror, religion is, that even diametrically opposed factions within a belief system can be so different in so many ways, yet they can all still agree with sacrifice of living things to appease their god.....

....for God allegedly commanded it.

ADarksideJedi
That was done a long time ago.No one does that anymore excert for the people I said before.

TacDavey
Animals were sacrificed in order to pay for a person's sin. Since Jesus came and sacrificed himself for everyone, no one has to sacrifice animals anymore.

He doesn't sound all that mean to me...

Deja~vu
Gods before him did that too. How many gods does it take to take away the sin of the people?

TacDavey
Gods before him did that too. How many gods does it take to take away the sin of the people?

Just one, as long as it's the right one.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by TacDavey
Animals were sacrificed in order to pay for a person's sin. Since Jesus came and sacrificed himself for everyone, no one has to sacrifice animals anymore.

He doesn't sound all that mean to me...

Thank you. smile

TacDavey
Thank you. smile

I got your back. thumb up

Adam_PoE
That was done a long time ago.No one does that anymore excert for the people I said before.

That does not make one bit of difference as far as the point is concerned.

RE: Blaxican
Jehovah's Witnesses.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
That is not true.

Even if it was, how does that make them any different than the people of the Old Testament who sacrificed animals and people to God?

The fact that its 2011 and they haven't gotten with the program.

ADarksideJedi
How not?

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
The fact that its 2011 and they haven't gotten with the program.

Yes, it is 2011, and people still believe in fairytales.

How not?

If a tradition of animal and human sacrifice is evidence that a religion is violent, then it is true for all religions with a tradition of animal and human sacrifice.

Sadako of Girth

Untrue: People still kill humans for their version of god all the time.

9/11 was one such less recent, but more well known occasion.

dadudemon
Untrue: People still kill humans for their version of god all the time.

9/11 was one such less recent, but more well known occasion.

Yeah, that and the crusades were on the top of my list as the anti-thesis of this thread's goal.

Sadako of Girth
Fair play.

TacDavey
You have to remember that people killing others in the NAME of a religion does not make the RELIGION violent.

Sadako of Girth
And you have to remember the pages and pages of evidence showing that it is a part of scripture, and therefore the religion is indeed part of the problem.

ADarksideJedi
You have to remember that people killing others in the NAME of a religion does not make the RELIGION violent.

What does it make it then? The way it is done is violent so it should be consider violent.

TacDavey
And you have to remember the pages and pages of evidence showing that it is a part of scripture, and therefore the religion is indeed part of the problem.

Well, that depends on the religion. I don't know the teachings of every religion, but I know Christianity doesn't fall into that category. But then, you and I are already having this discussion on another thread.

What does it make it then? The way it is done is violent so it should be consider violent.

What do you mean? If I kill a ton of people and say I did it in the name of Buddhism, does that make Buddhism a violent religion? No, that makes ME a violent and confused person.

I was pointing out the difference between a religion demanding violence from it's followers and a follower performing violence in the name of a religion. That's two separate things, the latter of which is not the fault of the religion.

ADarksideJedi
But if you thought you were doing it for that god then that makes you crazy and a violent person.

TacDavey
But if you thought you were doing it for that god then that makes you crazy and a violent person.

Yes it does. But does that make the religion violent? Is it the religions fault that I'm a crazy and violent person and have decided to use it's name to kill people? No, of course not.

ADarksideJedi
It is sounding more and more like you are saying that the religion you are descibing is a cult.

the ninjak
It is sounding more and more like you are saying that the religion you are descibing is a cult.

Oh the irony.

TacDavey

I'm not describing any religion in particular. I'm saying there is a difference between killing in the name of a religion and a religion demanding you kill.

If I went around and killed people in the name of Buddhism, would you get mad at Buddhism? Completely ignoring the fact that Buddhism does not, in any way, require you to kill people for it? In fact, it demands you do the exact opposite?

That's an example of killing in the name of a religion.

Now lets take a cult that demands you kill as part of it's religious views.

That's a religion that demands killing.

You see the difference between the two examples I gave? You cannot fault the religion for the first one like you can for the second, but a lot of people don't see the difference between the two which makes people blame religions where they should be blaming people.

ADarksideJedi
Yes I do and it still seems like a cult.I should know since I was in one until I was twelve.

TacDavey
Yes I do and it still seems like a cult.I should know since I was in one until I was twelve.

What seems like a cult? Buddhism?

Deja~vu
I think believing in something that others don't and then criticizing them for it would be a cult in my eyes.

TacDavey
I think believing in something that others don't and then criticizing them for it would be a cult in my eyes.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but... That's not what a cult is...

Deja~vu
Well, that's why I said, "In my eyes"..

mlala

Adam_PoE
Yes it does. But does that make the religion violent? Is it the religions fault that I'm a crazy and violent person and have decided to use it's name to kill people? No, of course not.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. roll eyes (sarcastic)

TacDavey
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well... That's basically true isn't it?

ADarksideJedi
It is if the leader of the Religion is telling you to blow things up and kiill people.

TacDavey
It is if the leader of the Religion is telling you to blow things up and kiill people.

Buddhism? Of course it doesn't. You DO know what Buddhism is, right?

I think you're still missing the point. I wasn't pointing out ANY religion in particular. I only brought in Buddhism as an example.

ADarksideJedi
Yes I do know what that is.

skekUng
Are we basically talking about Islam at this end of the thread?

It is a violent religion, but it has as much history of having violence forced upon it as does many others. Not only that, but it is just as contradictory in it's teaching on peace and violence as is Christianity. It's all about venerating a person, real or imaginary, to the point that what he says is absolute, and then putting words in his mouth. Sorry ladies, there aren't many major monotheistic religions with chicks on their bumper stickers.

King Kandy
Originally posted by skekUng
Sorry ladies, there aren't many major monotheistic religions with chicks on their bumper stickers.
Well, in much of Latin America Mary is treated above Jesus.

TacDavey
Yes I do know what that is.

Then you must know they don't support violence. I brought them up as an example.

Originally posted by skekUng
Are we basically talking about Islam at this end of the thread?

It is a violent religion, but it has as much history of having violence forced upon it as does many others. Not only that, but it is just as contradictory in it's teaching on peace and violence as is Christianity. It's all about venerating a person, real or imaginary, to the point that what he says is absolute, and then putting words in his mouth. Sorry ladies, there aren't many major monotheistic religions with chicks on their bumper stickers.

I, personally, wasn't talking about any religion in particular. I was just trying to point out a very distinct line between two "evils" that many people seem to miss.

Bardock42

Yeah, well, the Catholic Church is playing fast and loose with the title "monotheistic"

TacDavey
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah, well, the Catholic Church is playing fast and loose with the title "monotheistic"

True. I think Catholics actually pray to Mary, or through her. Most of the time there are as many or more Mary statues than ones of Jesus Himself.

One of the big differences between the Catholic faith and mine.

skekUng

Irrelevant

ADarksideJedi
Any religion that sacified animals sounds violent to me.But whatever.

TacDavey

Buddhism doesn't sacrifice animals as far as I know...

King Kandy
Buddhism doesn't... in fact most are vegetarians...

RE: Blaxican
I already said Jehovah's Witnesses. That means I win, right?

King Kandy
Oh yeah, I forgot New Age religion.

ADarksideJedi
New age does.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.