Mexican protests against drug violence

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12992664

I'm just glad I don't live there or on a border town.

dadudemon
I really hate to point it out, but this is an instance of why we really need an Ironman type of suit: something that can withstand tank shells while keeping the occupant largely unharmed but allowing for nice mobility.

Why? Because any type of progress in this type of urban warfare is very difficult. You could do a very drastic martial law shutdown, but that's really unacceptable. Cause the perpetrators to become functionally impotent (a metaphor, not the medical condition) by nullifying their ability to exert their Machiavellian control and you'll have victory.

Again, that seems silly, but I'm actually serious.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
Again, that seems silly, but I'm actually serious.

So is DARPA, they've already got a working exoskeleton suit. It just needs armor and a power source smaller than a car.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
So is DARPA, they've already got a working exoskeleton suit. It just needs armor and a power source smaller than a car.

Yeah, I got to see how "strong" that suit was. I was very happy to see that.

The dude demo-ing the strength was doing lat pull downs. The weight was like 300lbs or something. He couldn't even budge it with his own body weight but it became light as a feather when he turned the suit on. It ALMOST brought a tear to my eye. weep

Anyway...yeah...the power source. With powerful enough servos (I mean 'power' in the physics sense) they could add sizeable, overlapping, mobile, armor plating. We already have glasses that can beam video right on our retinas making the HUDs of hollywood films look "outdated". Wireless communications: easy.

We just need to solve for energy.

I was thinking that an even better implementation would be a drone remotely controlled by someone "moving" in a lab. The weakness would still be that it could be "jammed." But it's better than putting a body in the suit and we could use that fread up real estate to power the suit.

This seems off-topic but it's not. To fight an urban war like these gang wars, you need an effective ground force. There are far too many innocents involved that cannot move for obvious reasons.

Lord Lucien
Do you have a link to this video?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Do you have a link to this video?

I wish. It was on future weapons or some other Discovery program about future technologies. It was definitely on Discovery, though.

It might be on youtube...but I do not know where to look or what the keywords would be.

Edit - Found one, but it's not the same vid.

mO0xNI3xpmE

That one is doing 200lbs, which I can easily do. It's not as impressive as the 300lbs demo, imo.

Omega Vision
I think the part where he punches through the wood as if its Styrofoam is a much better indicator of strength than lifting 200 lbs.

There are people who train all their lives to have punching power like that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.