Akira (live action)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
From Wiki:

In the early 1990s, Kodansha Ltd. was in negotiation with Sony Pictures to produce a live-action remake of the film. Talk circulated again a decade later,5 urgent questions about the live action Akira remake.

The actual Akira script. (Worse than you think!)

Robtard
LoL, black people

LoL, white people

LoL, Pattinson

Impediment
Read my links.

It made me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

Lestov16
Originally posted by Impediment
Read my links.

It made me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

not to question your judgement, but are you sure Cracked is a viable research option?

BruceSkywalker
i love this, hope it is properly made...

Originally posted by Robtard
LoL, black people

LoL, white people

LoL, Pattinson

pattinson is actually getting pretty good reviews for water for elephants

timberlake can come in singing...

DksSPZTZES0

when he doesn't get the part laughing out loud

dadudemon
The film can potentially be suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper awesome, dark, and deep.

In fact, basing it mostly on the anime, alone, would make it a good film.

It's a shame that it looks like it's doing what is almost impossible to do: making it bad.

meep-meep
Just no.

Nephthys
http://screenrant.com/akira-movie-pg13-hughes-brothers-kofi-65837/

facepalm

The guys at Cracked are actually surprisingly intelligent, and in this case make several good points. Not to mention, they apparantly got their hands on a copy of the script (WTF?), so yeah.

Read both articles. This movie will tank like a Dwarven Defender (DnD ftwlmaoroflcoptor!) on ridilin.

Nephthys
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/keanu-reeves-circling-warner-bros-185872

KANEDAAAAAA!!!!!!!

crybaby

MildPossession
Live action humm. More importantly, the original Akira getting a blu ray release next month here in Britain! can't wait. Steelbook edition too. *drools*.

FinalAnswer
jafd97yJFOI

T.M
Originally posted by MildPossession
Live action humm. More importantly, the original Akira getting a blu ray release next month here in Britain! can't wait. Steelbook edition too. *drools*.

Now that's something to be excited about. Live action remake is going to suck.

Nephthys
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
jafd97yJFOI

And somehow, thats still superior to the leaked script.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Nephthys
And somehow, thats still superior to the leaked script.

I haven't even read/seen Akira and I know this to be true.

Frere Jacques indeed haermm

Kazenji
Keanu Reeves passes on this movie if you've been keeping up with the news.

T.M
Director has dropped out now too.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by T.M
Director has dropped out now too.

i read that.. i'm taking it as a sign of either someone better will come along or this will be completely dfropped

Impediment
Please....................just drop this entire project.

Zack Fair
Lets hope they drop it.

NemeBro
Movie sounds great guys. big grin

Kazenji
Don't know why they were trying to get Keanu Reeves for it, They really need a bunch of teenagers for the movie and not ones that have been in the Twilight movies

fightingflyer
I have never seen a good live action movie based on an anime

Kazenji
Jeez ya think......stupid bot

NowYouRemember
Hate to say, I was never very impressed with Akira.

Firstly, to me, good Anime began around '93 and ended in '03 roughly, and while I can appreciate people liking Arika, to me it just seemed like a pointlessly grotesque film with wrinkled kids, exploding guts and eye-rolling rape scenes.

Not much to be impressed about.

I'd rather see them make a good live action DBZ film.

A handful of years back they were actually going to go live-action with Witch Hunter Robin and planned to air it on the Sci-Fi channel, but the project tanked. Ah well.

To me, Akira is probably one of the worst Anime films ever made.
A friend of mine saw it a week ago and joked about how it was said to be one of the most ground-breaking Anime films ever produced.

For what? It's animation?

I've seen better animation out of some of the crap that has come out recently from Japan-land. And Akira's story is nothing of noteworthiness, either.

It's not like the first Gundam series, which yeah, had slightly crappier animation, but still a better story.

I can see why some actors and producers aren't spontaneously-ejaculating over the opportunity to produce this story on celluloid.

Wake me up when they make a worthy live-action DBZ movie.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nephthys
facepalmx

Just no......

dadudemon
Originally posted by NowYouRemember
Hate to say, I was never very impressed with Akira.

Firstly, to me, good Anime began around '93 and ended in '03 roughly, and while I can appreciate people liking Arika, to me it just seemed like a pointlessly grotesque film with wrinkled kids, exploding guts and eye-rolling rape scenes.

Not much to be impressed about.

I'd rather see them make a good live action DBZ film.

A handful of years back they were actually going to go live-action with Witch Hunter Robin and planned to air it on the Sci-Fi channel, but the project tanked. Ah well.

To me, Akira is probably one of the worst Anime films ever made.
A friend of mine saw it a week ago and joked about how it was said to be one of the most ground-breaking Anime films ever produced.

For what? It's animation?

I've seen better animation out of some of the crap that has come out recently from Japan-land. And Akira's story is nothing of noteworthiness, either.

It's not like the first Gundam series, which yeah, had slightly crappier animation, but still a better story.

I can see why some actors and producers aren't spontaneously-ejaculating over the opportunity to produce this story on celluloid.

Wake me up when they make a worthy live-action DBZ movie.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

There were rape scenes? I guess this is why you hated Akira: there were no rape scenes.

Maybe you saw a different film, thought it was Akira, and labeled it bad?

I would not call it "groundbreaking" animation, but it was definitely top-notch animation. You also cannot compare the animation from 1988 to 2000s anime shows: contemporarily, it was top notch and left everything in the dust.

That said, the story was certainly top notch, but that's just opinion.

This is also the wrong thread to be writing reviews for the 1988 anime: this is about the live action film. Meaning, troll post is a troll post.

Nephthys
There was that one scene where Tetsuo's girlfriend is going to get raped before her and Tetsuo are rescued by Kaneda. So an attempted-rape scene at least.

NowYouRemember
facepalmx

Just no......

Sorry, Dude.

Originally posted by dadudemon
There were rape scenes? I guess this is why you hated Akira: there were no rape scenes.

Maybe you saw a different film, thought it was Akira, and labeled it bad?

I would not call it "groundbreaking" animation, but it was definitely top-notch animation. You also cannot compare the animation from 1988 to 2000s anime shows: contemporarily, it was top notch and left everything in the dust.

That said, the story was certainly top notch, but that's just opinion.

This is also the wrong thread to be writing reviews for the 1988 anime: this is about the live action film. Meaning, troll post is a troll post.

Nah. I disliked Akira because it sucked, not for lack of sexual violence, which it certainly didn't lack. stick out tongue

I think Akira is probably better than or even with Anime from 2004 onward.

Anime that existed especially during the '97-'02 arc completely blows Akira out of the water.
Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop and also DBZ to name a few examples.
Originally posted by dadudemon

Originally posted by NowYouRemember

and while I can appreciate people liking Arika, to me it just seemed

There was that one scene where Tetsuo's girlfriend is going to get raped before her and Tetsuo are rescued by Kaneda. So an attempted-rape scene at least.

That's what I was thinking of.

Mr. Marshall
I know a lot of people hate this project but I'm actually looking forward to it. The story has some very human elements and I think it would be great to see on screen.

Kazenji
I've read the guy from Tron Legacy Garrett Hedlund is in talks to play Kaneda and Gary Oldman will portray the colonal.

roughrider
I heard George Takei on the radio last spring, condemning this project as a whitewashing of Asian culture, doing this with Caucasian leads. And how Hollywood doesn't try hard enough to use Asian American actors in leading roles.

If they are going to do this, please don't have white actors running around with names like Kaneda and Tetsuo.

So the newest director is the guy who did the House Of Wax remake, with Paris Hilton?
I'm awash in confidence. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr. Marshall
Originally posted by roughrider

So the newest director is the guy who did the House Of Wax remake, with Paris Hilton?
I'm awash in confidence. roll eyes (sarcastic)

To be fair, his films have been average because of the content, not the way they were shot. As an actual visual director he's fine.

Nemesis X
Hollywood messed up Dragonball. It's no surprise they'd mess up Akira as well.

Mr. Marshall
Originally posted by Kazenji
I've read the guy from Tron Legacy Garrett Hedlund is in talks to play Kaneda and Gary Oldman will portray the colonal.

They're also Akira testing Ezra Miller and Alden Ehrenreich to play Tetsuo.

Mindset
I like the guy who is supposedly going to be Kaneda, but from what I've seen of him in movies he isn't anything like the character.

And he usually acts the same in all his movies.

Mindset
Originally posted by roughrider
I heard George Takei on the radio last spring, condemning this project as a whitewashing of Asian culture, doing this with Caucasian leads. And how Hollywood doesn't try hard enough to use Asian American actors in leading roles.

If they are going to do this, please don't have white actors running around with names like Kaneda and Tetsuo.

I'm awash in confidence. roll eyes (sarcastic) Most anime characters that I've seen look white anyway.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Mindset
I like the guy who is supposedly going to be Kaneda, but from what I've seen of him in movies he isn't anything like the character.

And he usually acts the same in all his movies.

What other movies?

i've only seen him in Tron Legacy.

Mr. Marshall
He was in Four Brothers and Troy.

Mindset
And Death Sentence.

The Nuul
They are already ****ing this up with american actors/actresses.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168857-kristen-stewart-offered-akira

SuperEvil
they should just leave well enough alone on this one

roughrider
Originally posted by The Nuul
They are already ****ing this up with american actors/actresses.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168857-kristen-stewart-offered-akira

Thing is, they are remaking this in an American setting, with all these Caucasian leads in the roles - but still calling it Akira?
Because it really makes as much sense as the recent Karate Kid remake, sticking with the title even though it was set in the land of Kung Fu, China.
(Yes yes, it's all about the marketing for the slow people...)

The Nuul

Nephthys
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!!!!!!

Plot Summery:

Kaneda is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned when his brother, Tetsuo, is abducted by government agents led by The Colonel.

Desperate to get his brother back, Kaneda agrees to join with Ky Reed and her underground movement who are intent on revealing to the world what truly happened to New York City thirty years ago when it was destroyed. Kaneda believes their theories to be ludicrous but after finding his brother again, is shocked when he displays telekinetic powers.

Ky believes Tetsuo is headed to release a young boy, Akira, who has taken control of Tetsuo's mind. Kaneda clashes with The Colonel's troops on his way to stop Tetsuo from releasing Akira but arrives too late. Akira soon emerges from his prison courtesy of Tetsuo as Kaneda races in to save his brother before Akira once again destroys Manhattan island, as he did thirty years ago.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/assets_c/2011/11/17189-130475-RageFace2png-620x-thumb-414x347.jpg

Kazenji
STAR TREK Star George Takei Accuses Warner Bros. of Whitewashing AKIRA

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=50624

Mindset
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!!!!!!

Plot Summery:

Kaneda is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned when his brother, Tetsuo, is abducted by government agents led by The Colonel.

Desperate to get his brother back, Kaneda agrees to join with Ky Reed and her underground movement who are intent on revealing to the world what truly happened to New York City thirty years ago when it was destroyed. Kaneda believes their theories to be ludicrous but after finding his brother again, is shocked when he displays telekinetic powers.

Ky believes Tetsuo is headed to release a young boy, Akira, who has taken control of Tetsuo's mind. Kaneda clashes with The Colonel's troops on his way to stop Tetsuo from releasing Akira but arrives too late. Akira soon emerges from his prison courtesy of Tetsuo as Kaneda races in to save his brother before Akira once again destroys Manhattan island, as he did thirty years ago.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/assets_c/2011/11/17189-130475-RageFace2png-620x-thumb-414x347.jpg So it's not actually Akira at all.

Impediment
YES!!!

the ninjak
I wonder if Kristen Stewart will got her clothes torn off by viscous gang members. Will Keneda and crew smash there heads in on motorbikes.

Bewbz.

Impediment
The film's been canned!! smile

RyanEstabrooks
Thank God!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.