STAR WARS: Retrospection- Like Father Like Son

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bespin Bart
Space

A Twi'lek in a simple tan tunic stands in front of a comm unit. He is scratched up and battle-torn after a tough struggle. Master Windu answers his call.

"Master Jequar Rar," Windu greets.

"Master Windu," says Jequar. "I am calling to update you on the situation with the pirates in the Javin sector. Our sting operation has proved successful, and they took the bait. They fled before they could all be apprehended, but I have some in my custody."

"Excellent news, Master Rar," Windu says. "Have they revealed the location of their base of operatiosn?"

"No," Rar says. "They will not speak of it. However, my Padawan has proven very resourceful! He attached a homing beacon to the enemy craft during the fighting. We are tracking them into the Anoat sector."

Windu must suppress a smile.

"Inform the young Padawan that I am impressed," Master Windu says. "What will you do now?"

"With your permission, Master," Jequar says, "I intend to pursue the pirates into the Anoat system and find out where their base is, and launch my assault."

"I advise you to hold off on your assault," Windu says. "For now. But the Council will grant you permission to search the sector."

"Thank you, Master," Jequar says. The transmission ends, and Jequar looks over to his young Padawan, Lance Windu. "Your uncle is proud of your accomplishment and has extended our mandate. We have work to do."

-

Welcome to Retrospection! Rex has been running these for a few years now and recently we've been paying him back for it by putting Galder through hell.

This game occurs in 42 BBY- Galder is just a boy and studying to become a Jedi Knight under his father, Gathol Starkiller, on Hoth.

Galder only has two Blade Schticks, four Combat Schticks, and a Lightsaber pool of 8.

Bespin Bart
HOTH

You have been sent out into the tundra to meditate, Galder. Your father makes you do this every so often, saying that the tranquility of being alone will allow you to focus your mind... though you suspect he is doing the same for himself.

It is a clear day. A blizzard passed through last week, so the snow blanketing Hoth as far as you can see is soft and crunches lightly beneath your boots.

You are wrapped from head to toe in snow gear to protect you from the cold. It is not as bad as it normally is though. Temperatures are at a high of negative ten.

You have moved toward one of the mountain ranges, the closest to your dwelling that is not occupied by the local pirate clans. Your father asked you to explore them today, so you brought your survival gear and, of course, your weapons- a hunting spear, a heavy pistol, and... your mother's lightsaber.

REXXXX
(Boo on restrictions to tiny Galder!)

Galder will remove the cloth covering his mouth and nose since it is not as cool as usual, though he will likely replace it very quickly. He dislikes the cold, even though it is all he has ever known.

He does not like having to go out into the tundra and to the mountains for these meditative times but does as his father asks.

Is Galder on foot or can he have a tauntaun? big grin

Bespin Bart
Galder is on foot and has been walking for some time. Your father has domesticated some tauntauns for riding but he won't let you use them for these walks.

You are reaching the base of the mountains when you hear a low whining noise in the distance.

REXXXX
What a strict old man...

Galder won't stop to see what it is that is making the noise though he'll look for the source while walking up to the mountains.

Bespin Bart
There is a tiny black speck making its away across the tundra! How odd.

Where you are now, the mountains are not so steep or intimidating. It is a decent hike. You have never been over here before, though, so you don't know what lies in store for you. Your father always said to stay away from them until now.

REXXXX
Galder will keep hiking, casting glances backwards to see what the black thing is. He lets his hand fall to his mother's lightsaber, not sure if it will mean trouble. He reaches out with the Force and tries to feel for anything out of the ordinary.

Bespin Bart
You actually sense some life nearby.

The black thing is very rapidly gaining on you.

REXXXX
Hmm.

Is there anything that Galder can hide behind or under? He is going to draw his pistol and wait for the thing, to see if it is dangerous.

Bespin Bart
There are some large rocks in the area. You can hide behind them.

The thing eventually zips up to where you were standing before you hid. It is a probe droid of some sort, beeping and flitting about. It scans the area with his photoreceptors before approaching your rock.

REXXXX
Galder will lean out from behind the rock to see if the probe is armed.

Bespin Bart
The blasts you nearly take indicate that it is!

REXXXX
Galder will duck back into hiding and prepare to fight the thing, reaching for his lightsaber.

Bespin Bart
This is going to be a fight, then.

Galder needs to choose his Blade Schticks and Combat Schticks.

Your Gun Schticks are the same.

REXXXX
Hmph, making me choose...

For Blade Schticks, Balanced Guard and Cleave.

For Combat Schticks, Power Attack, Focused Blow, Duck, Impervious.

Galder is going to jump out with his lightsaber angled at the thing, ready to deflect incoming shots and make a strike at the machine.

Bespin Bart
Okay!

What schticks are you using?

REXXXX
Actually, change Duck to Dodge & Weave.

Balanced Guard, Gunslinger, Dodge & Weave.

Bespin Bart
Doin' it.

The moment you emerge from cover, the probe opens fire with a rapid series of bolts. Four successes translates into 4 damage. It then goes again with 10,000 Bolts for 2 more damage.

You close on the thing and take a swipe at it! It is incredibly evasive and you miss with no successes showing.

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 2

Galder (LS9): 1(2A)/6 (5F)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/0

REXXXX
Galder wonders where this probe possibly could have come from as he tries again to land a blow on it again.

Bespin Bart
You do not recognize its make from any of the holograms your father has tried to familiarize you with. It almost looks cobbled together.

In any case, you land your first hit. It has armor that is no match for a lightsaber and there is a shower of sparks as you snip off something.

You back-step when it starts spraying bolts at you rapidly, for 3 and 2 damage. There are many, forcing you to exert yourself to deflect them all.

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 3

Galder (LS9): 1(2A)/11 (5F)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/8

REXXXX
Galder tries to cleave off something more vital this time when the opportunity opens up.

Bespin Bart
Evens is Galder, who gets 8 damage. Only another glancing blow as your lightsaber skitters along its armor! The probe comes out better this turn, scoring 9 damage of its own in a flurry of lasers.

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 4

Galder (LS9): 1(2A)/19 (5F)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/16

REXXXX
Galder snarls as he struggles to deflect the incoming bolts, then lunges for the probe again, trying to cut it in half and finish it off quickly.

Bespin Bart
Initiative to the probe! It withdraws from Galder, which warrants a direct blow in retaliation for its retreat, scoring Galder 10 damage on the contraption (though not cutting it in half).

However, it is now high up in the air and rattling off shots. Galder takes 5 damage total.

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 5

Galder (LS9): 1(2A)/24 (5F)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/26

REXXXX
I don't suppose Galder can get at it, or jump on it?

Bespin Bart
Nope!

REXXXX
Damn. Galder will run for cover somewhere up the mountain, drawing his pistol and sending off shots at the probe that pursues him.

Bespin Bart
Gunslinger allows you to snap out your gun quickly, but not before receiving a volley of blasts from the probe again for another 5 damage. You tumble into cover and shoot back, rolling four successes for 5 damage! Not bad.

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 6

Galder (G7): 1(2A)/24 (5F) (in cover)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/31

REXXXX
Galder keeps firing from cover!

Bespin Bart
Evens is the probe this time! It rolls poorly for only 6 damage to Galder. Your icy cover is starting to crumble from the heat of the repeated hits though.

Two successes (with a Gunslinger conversion) means 3 damage back. Not quite the trade you wanted.

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 7

Galder (G7): 1/30 (5F) (in cover)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/34

REXXXX
Galder will stay with his block of ice until it is shattered, maintaining a steady rate of fire back at the probe. He wonders where it came from but is more interested in destroying it.

Bespin Bart
Your cover comes down this turn as the probe blasts through the bottom of it trying to get you, dropping lower to get a better shot.

Galder takes 7 damage and dishes out 2!

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 7

Galder (G7): 1/37 (5F) (in cover)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/36

REXXXX
Has it gotten close enough to attack with a lightsaber?

Bespin Bart
Yes.

REXXXX
Make it so! Galder will jump out and attack with his lightsaber, keeping his blaster in his off-hand and striking with a slash across the probe's midsection.

Bespin Bart
You jump out and attack it! One success is still 7 damage to the probe as your blade drags across part of it, leaving a molten scar. Galder takes 6 in return as he frantically deflects its lasers and scrambles out of the way.

The probe ascends again. It's high mobility allows it slip in and out of melee-range easily.

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 8

Galder (LS8): 1(2A)/37 (5F)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/43

REXXXX
Galder will retreat up the mountain, using Coordination and Balanced Guard to protect himself from the shots. He needs to find a way to keep the probe down.

Bespin Bart
An idea of what Galder is looking for would be great.

Galder flees up the mountainside. He only takes 2 damage between his Guard and Coordination.

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 9

Galder (LS8): 1(2A)/39 (5F)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/43

REXXXX
How about an outcropping or cave that Galder can duck under/into?

He is going to switch to his blaster and tumble into some cover, shooting at the probe again and trying to pick it off.

Bespin Bart
As it so happens, there is a cave not far from where you are! You couldn't see it from lower down.

A particular vicious volley from the probe grazes your leg, tearing through the thermal wear and exposing it to the cold. You snap a blast back at it to little effect.

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 10

Galder (LS8): 1(2A)/48 (5F)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/46

REXXXX
Galder will go for the cave! Tap DW and use Coordination as he tries to get away from the probe droid.

Bespin Bart
Galder goes running for the cave! The probe's shots explode against the icy rim of the cave and shower him with mist. No damage this turn.

It is hovering just outside the cave...

----

PROBE ATTACK, Start of Turn 11

Galder (LS8): 1(2A)/48 DW] (5F) (in cave)

Probe (G10): 3C(2A)/46

REXXXX
Galder will swap out DW, swap in IM, moving deeper into the cave and using Coordination. He'll try to find some nook and cranny where he can wait for the droid and pop out and cut it up.

Bespin Bart
You wait tensely for movement from the droid. Its single photoreceptor is surveying the cave.

It lowers down and starts to move into the cave.

REXXXX
Galder waits until it is closer. Once it is really close, Galder is going to jump out and cut it in half!

Bespin Bart
Almost there...

Got it! You leap out and slash at the probe. The icy cave kept it from picking up your body heat so it only has time to turn and see you before you cut it in half. It crashes in two on the cave floor.

As the whirring of the droid's repulsors winds down, you hear a much scarier noise. A carnal roaring.

REXXXX
Galder pauses when he hears the roaring of the creature, but he wants to examine the probe. He stoops down to do so.

Bespin Bart
The probe droid is a cobbled-together piece of junk. Whoever built it had just enough techical know-how to get it in the air, able to track you, and open fire. It probably could not do anything else.

You think you recognize some of the parts...

Whatever is roaring is coming closer. Your senses aren't attuned enough to sense it clearly. You don't need to. It keeps roaring loudly.

REXXXX
Galder tries to figure out why he recognizes those very fast so that whatever is coming doesn't get to him first.

Bespin Bart
Galder has Fix-It so he can, with a quick inspection, note that these parts came from the workshop in your home. Your father built this! This must have been a test.

But you've dallied too long. The dreaded ice creature is upon you, all fur and claws, roaring as it enters your part of the cave. It is going to try to eat you.

REXXXX
Can I change all of the schticks that I have in? Galder wants to try taking on the ice creature with his knife.

PA IM DU

Bespin Bart
I'll allow it.

You draw your knife as it moves in on you, raising its claws to tear you apart.

----

WAMPA ATTACK, Start of Turn 12

Galder (C9): 3(3A)/48 DW] (5F)

Wampa: 0

REXXXX
Galder has a go at the wampa, trying to stab it in the side with his knife before ducking under its claws when it goes after him.

Bespin Bart
You jab it in the side! That just makes it angry and it claws at you with its strong arms, smashing you into a side of the cavern. Thankfully you're a little more durable, so you get up quickly.

----

WAMPA ATTACK, Start of Turn 13

Galder (C9): 3(3A)/52 DW] (5F)

Wampa: 6

REXXXX
Tap IM and attack the Wampa again!

Bespin Bart
You jab at the snow creature again, drawing blood this time as your knife slices along its arm. It yowls and attempts to smack you away, but you lean into the blow and only slide back on the ice.

----

WAMPA ATTACK, Start of Turn 14

Galder (C9): 3(3A)/52 IM] DW] (5F)

Wampa: 12

REXXXX
Swap IM for FB, Galder keeps trying to cut up the Wampa before it can claw him.

Bespin Bart
Galder is rolling very poorly here- he only shows one success for 5 damage against the Wampa.

In return, Galder takes a hit for 7 damage that nearly knocks him off his feet! Things look tense for the young Jedi...

----

WAMPA ATTACK, Start of Turn 15

Galder (C9): 3(3A)/59 DW IM SF] (5F)

Wampa: 17

REXXXX
Swap FB for SF and tap it, Galder tries to perform a double kick on the wampa.

Bespin Bart
Wrong move on Galder's part. You may as well be kicking one of the icy walls of this cavern! Your first kick connects wrong and the second doesn't phase it. You end up dealing 1 damage.

The wampa swats you aside into one of those hard ice walls I mentioned.

----

WAMPA ATTACK, Start of Turn 16

Galder (C9): 3(3A)/64 SF] DW IM FB] (5F)

Wampa: 18

REXXXX
Swap SF for BGu, tap PA.

Galder stabs the wampa somewhere vital, hoping to stun it temporarily so that he can switch to his lightsaber.

Bespin Bart
1-6, the Wampa takes a swat at you before you can stab it! You get clawed across the front for 5 damage. You stab it deeply in the side, leaving it staggering back for a turn.

And it's a Refresh.

----

WAMPA ATTACK, Start of Turn 17

Galder (C9): 3/69 PA DU BGu]] SF DW IM FB] (5F)

Wampa: 23

REXXXX
Since the Wampa is knocked back, Galder will RUN AWAY. He is going to bolt from the cave, drawing his pistol in one fluid motion and blasting at the beast from a distance.

Swap PA for GS.

Bespin Bart
You fire a volley at the Wampa as you retreat! It doesn't follow, and you break out of the cave into the cold winds of Hoth's surface once more.

You no longer sense danger, but you are in pain and tired.

REXXXX
Galder decides that he would rather trudge back to the homestead than continue to explore the snowy mountain ranges of Hoth in his current state. He is annoyed that the wampa tore his semi-warm outfit, and wipes idly at the blood that has already congealed and frozen around the scratches.

"Mrrr," Galder mumbles, as he starts his long walk back.

He keeps his pistol in hand, just in case.

Bespin Bart
You don't encounter any issues on your way back to the shelter that you call home, though the cold leaves you almost totally numb by the time you get back. Thankfully the outfits your father secured, even torn, manage to keep you from getting dangerously cold.

Your home is a small hovel sunk into the ice, barely visible above the ice and snow. Your father has sensed you coming and is standing at the top of the stairs that lead down into the home.

"Hello, son," Gathol Starkiller greets you. His voice is gruff and low.

Gathol looks much as Galder will one day- dark tousled hair, with chiseled features and a strong jaw. He maintains a neat beard and his skin is taught over his muscular build... but he has too many scars to count, and he never likes to talk about them. Most of it is currently hidden by the snow gear that you yourself wear.

"How did it go?" he asks.

REXXXX
"Hello, father," Galder says, quietly. "It went okay."

Bespin Bart
"You're injured," Gathol observes. "That's no blaster burn. What happened?"

REXXXX
"I drew the probe droid into a cavern to keep it from flying away from me," Galder says. "The cave was home to a wampa and it attacked me. I fought it off but it scratched me."

Galder presses a hand over his slashed chest, hiding it from his father.

Bespin Bart
"I will need to treat your wounds," Gathol says. "Your tactic was good but you should have used your senses to avoid further danger."

REXXXX
"I know, father," Galder says. "I was a little busy with the droid to think clearly, you know..."

Bespin Bart
"If you enter a fight against more than one opponent, that excuse will not suffice as a defense," Gathol says. "Be mindful of all surroundings at all times or it will be your demise."

REXXXX
"Yes, father," Galder says. "I will work on it."

Galder offers a curt bow.

"Am I able to rest?"

Bespin Bart
"Yes," Gathol says. "I am stabilizing the heaters. I will be in to tend to your wounds in a short while. Prepare them for me, please, so I can patch them quickly."

Gathol goes around to the embankment running down the back side of the sunken home, where the maintenance hatch is.

REXXXX
Galder will just go inside, then.

Bespin Bart
The Starkiller hovel is not really much of a home. It is constructed from the wreckage of the Comet's Flame, a small freighter that crashed on Hoth long ago. Your father has told you that it is the ship he and your mother had crash-landed onto the surface, before you were born. The three of you were the only survivors after local pirates forced them down.

The ship is on its side, so everything is slanted. Gathol has neglected to correct this, all these years. He feels it helps exercise your agility.

It has a few rooms-

Gathol and Galder sleep in separate bedrooms, next to one another.

The cockpit, which your father has sealed off.

The main living area, which used to be a simple mess hall. Gathol mended the round table that sits in the center of the room.

The engine room, where your father's shop is. It is also where the heaters are, and he can access it from the outside with a hatch. He has gone in there now.

The heathers are off so it is freezing in here. Hardly any better than the outside.

REXXXX
It sounds pretty sparse and uninteresting. Galder will go to his room. If he has any medical equipment, he will start cleaning his wounds then get under the covers of his bed and rest and wait for his father.

Bespin Bart
Dressing your wounds and resting up will get you fully healed, especially once your father comes in and patches them up with a limited amount of bacta.

"How are you feeling?" Gathol asks.

REXXXX
"Much better," Galder says. "The rest has done me good, and my wounds are only superficial. I'll be just fine."

Galder studies his father's face for a moment before asking why his father sent the probe after him.

Bespin Bart
"To test you, my son," Gathol says. "Putting you into a violent situation where your survival is the only gain is one of the few ways I can truly test your abilities. You did well."

He pauses.

"Well enough, for now."

REXXXX
"When will I be as good as you?" Galder asks.

Bespin Bart
"When you have seen more of the Galaxy," Gathol says. "When you have taken lives. When you have fought for something. Now, you only learn what I teach you. Some things must be learned by yourself.

"I have been preparing you for the day we leave Hoth."

REXXXX
"When are we doing that?" Galder asks. "And why? We're pretty comfortable here on Hoth..."

Bespin Bart
"There is so much more to the Galaxy than this frozen rock," Gathol says.

REXXXX
"But what is out there for us?" Galder asks. "Seems silly to leave if you think it's a place I need preparation for..."

Bespin Bart
"There is nothing here for us," Gathol says. "We can spend our whole lives here and eventually succumb to the cold. Or, we can forge new lives for ourselves, with more to gain. Tell me you would not appreciate if we went somewhere warmer."

REXXXX
"I've never known anything else," Galder says. "I'm sure it would be nice."

Bespin Bart
"I am telling you that it would be, son," Gathol says. "Hoth is nearly inhospitable, but for the fact that we are impressive specimen. We're better than the average man."

REXXXX
"How is that?" Galder asks. "Because we're Jedi?"

Bespin Bart
"Precisely," Gathol says. "Our bodies are stronger, our minds are sharper, our powers are beyond any man. We are the pinnacle of evolution, and we should use that to save beings from themselves."

Your father often talks to you about these things. As far as you know, he's right. The Galaxy is unsafe but it is yours to tame and control.

REXXXX
"Save them from themselves?" Galder asks. He always inquires into his father's rants, in order to totally understand what he is talking about.

Bespin Bart
"As I said, we are better," Gathol says. "We know what is better for ourselves and for the Galaxy. Not everyone knows what will bring them prosperity, or good health, or so on. We can decide that, and we can make them decide correctly."

REXXXX
"How do we do that?" Galder asks. "I mean, we're not all that important, even as Jedi."

Bespin Bart
"You make yourself important," Gathol says. "You earn a reputation and you earn power. The first so you are known, the second so you are obeyed."

REXXXX
"So becoming powerful is what will help me save everything?" Galder asks. "That seems... hard."

Bespin Bart
"Becoming powerful is not an easy path, son," Gathol says. "But taking it easy is not the way of the Jedi. We fight our way to the top."

REXXXX
"I guess that makes sense," Galder says.

Bespin Bart
"It may not make total sense presently," Gathol says. "But it will, in time."

Gathol finishes patching up the main claw wound from the wampa.

"All better," Gathol says. "What doesn't kill us just makes us stronger..."

REXXXX
"I'll keep the cut clean," Galder tells his father.

He is going to rest now, so that he can regain his strength after the encounter with his father's probe and the wampa. Before he does, he will ask his father how he did but also see if there is anything he wants Galder to work on once he is on the mend.

Bespin Bart
Gathol tells you that tomorrow you are going to see the pirates, for bartering and galactic news. Otherwise, there are the usual chores to maintain the makeshift home you have built for yourselves.

REXXXX
What does Galder know about the pirates?

Bespin Bart
Quite a bit, actually! They're more or less the only people you have come into contact with beside your father. They operate out of a base they built inside some of Hoth's naturally occuring caves. Generally, they're scavengers and raiders. They have a few starships and lots and lots of guns.

Your father is not a fan of them, to put it lightly. He says you have to cooperate with them for now; it's how you get any supplies, lacking a ship yourself.

REXXXX
How do they feel about us?

Bespin Bart
They think you're nuts! A hermit and his son living out in the middle of the freezing tundra? Even they don't come out after nightfall. It's too cold.

But they're willing to help you guys out, every so often.

They also do not know that your father is a Jedi Knight.

REXXXX
Probably better that way. Galder thinks that they would be unwilling to even look at us if they knew, or might even kill us as some sort of game.

Do we have any actual friends among them?

Bespin Bart
You have a contact that your father meets with. You would hardly call him a friend. He's less likely to stab you in the back.

REXXXX
Well, Galder will rest up and dream of starships and Jedi action adventure time while the bacta does its work. He doesn't like wampas one bit, especially not after this nonsense.

(Use Dreams if possible, and for free!)

Bespin Bart
In that case, you DO dream, Galder...

You see a boy about your age, with darker skin and wearing heavy furs... and holding a lightsaber.

That is all you see, and he swims in and out of view during your restful sleep. When you awake, the next day has come already.

REXXXX
When he wakes, he thinks of what he saw, and consults his father with it.

"I saw a boy with a lightsaber," Galder says, without much lead-in. "In my dreams."

Bespin Bart
Gathol nods. He has prepared a breakfast from the food capsules he regularly "borrows" from the pirates.

"I have seen him too," Gathol admits. "How do you feel about him in your dream?"

REXXXX
"I don't think I felt anything toward him, or about him," Galder responds.

Bespin Bart
"Hmm," Gathol says. He looks uncomfortable.

REXXXX
"What's wrong, father?" Galder asks.

Bespin Bart
"Just concerned about what it might mean," Gathol says. "I'm not ready for you to meet others like yourself just yet. Your training is not complete and I don't want it to be skewed by the ideas or teachings of others. You are MY student, and my son."

REXXXX
"I don't think that should be a problem," Galder says. "You've been training me for my entire life. Why would I listen to anyone else? Even if they are also Jedi, they aren't my father."

Bespin Bart
"I know," Gathol says, curtly. "I just want to be sure. They could be dangerous."

REXXXX
"Dangerous how?" Galder says. "I mean, they wouldn't threaten us. They'd want to be friends."

Bespin Bart
"No, they won't," Gathol says firmly. "I will not discuss this further, not until your training is complete."

REXXXX
"Okay," Galder says. He thinks for a moment. "Do you think the boy I saw is a Jedi? Like us? Only Jedi have lightsabers."

Bespin Bart
"Why do you say that only Jedi have them?" Gathol asks.

REXXXX
"We have them, we're Jedi," Galder says. "The pirates don't have them. They only have guns."

Bespin Bart
"A man is not defined by the weapon he uses," Gathol says. "It is the way he learned to use them.

"But yes, I think the boy is of the Jedi."

REXXXX
"Did you see more than I did?" Galder asks.

Bespin Bart
"Yes," Gathol says.

REXXXX
"What did you see?" Galder asks. "I want to know!"

Bespin Bart
Gathol shakes his head.

"Maybe the Force will reveal it to you too," he says. "Knowledge doesn't come free. It's meant for you or you earn it if it's not."

Gathol stands and stretches, then wraps his heavy furs tightly around himself. He then hands you yours.

"If you're up to it, we're meeting with the pirates again today," Gathol says. "I need information from them."

REXXXX
"I'm up for it," Galder says, though still sore. He does not want to disappoint his father and he wants to do something different. "What do you need from them? They don't seem like they know much."

Bespin Bart
"I want to know how their operations are going," Gathol says. "That is all you need know for now."

Gathol bundles himself up and heads out to prepare the snow skimmer. The cold-adapted speeder serves as your means of getting around Hoth.

REXXXX
Galder will bundle up too and get out there with his father. He brings his blaster and his lightsaber.

Bespin Bart
You note that Gathol too goes armed. His lightsaber hangs from his belt, and a thick black pistol is strapped under his arm, inside his heavy coat.

Once on the snow skimmer, Gathol barely waits for you to strap in before kicking it into the air and zipping off across the snow. The frosty air bites your cheeks and ruffles your clothes while you race over the tundra.

It takes an hour to reach the pirate base from your humble abode. It is set in the foothills of a mountain range (not the same peaks you were at early). You only know where it is from past experience; they hide it fairly well under the snow and ice.

Gathol pulls the speeder up to an ice wall, which slides back to reveal a blast door, which again opens to let through a small squad of pirates. They too are bundled up, but carrying larger guns.

"State your business, hermit," one barks.

"I'm here to talk," Gathol returns. "Norbo will want to see me."

The one that barked relays the message into a comlink.

REXXXX
Galder waits with his father on the speeder, examining the pirates and their big blasters nervously. He rubs at his own cheeks to warm them after the ride.

Bespin Bart
(Two years later)

Gathol throws a slight glare your way, noticing your fidgeting. He makes a motion with his hand to indicate that you cease. He himself always moves with deliberation, almost inhumanly.

"Alright, come in," the pirate says after a moment, waiving you and your father through the blast door. Gathol strides through, the pirates tailing him into the darkened corridor beyond.

REXXXX
Galder stays close to his father. He resists the urge to fidget more, trusting that his lightsaber and blaster won't magically disappear if he isn't touching them. He straightens his jacket and walks past the pirates.

Bespin Bart
The pirates lead you through the tunnel, carved directly from the ice with plasma drills and shoddily supported by metal beams. It doesn't look very stable to you. It descends steadily into a natural cavern that the pirates converted into a hangar. A huge fuel tanker vessel sits parked at one end, providing a means of refueling for the other starfighter and freighters landed here. Aside from a half-dozen newer, recently stolen Viper-class fighters, most appear to be old relics that the pirates keep in some semblance of working order. About twenty ships, all told.

The ice tunnel opens out onto the rickety catwalks that criss-cross the top of the cavern. Gathol clambers down a ladder and starts moving toward the second largest ship in the cave. You know it to be Norbo's, the pirate you've come to see.

REXXXX
Galder will follow, probably in slight awe of the ships.

Bespin Bart
The only time you see ships is when you visit the pirate base or see them flying about. So probably in awe, yes.

Getting down the ladders and walking past the ships, you notice they all took damage recently. The pirate mechanics are running around trying to patch things up or replace parts, or bossing around a handful of droids to help them. They seem frantic. Gathol looks about, but doesn't seem particularly surprised.

You come up to Norbo's starship and notice its guts spilled across the icy floor of the hangar. A pair of astromech droids are welding armor plating back into place. A green-furred humanoid stands watching their work, waiting for you. He wears an oil-smeared and smoke-dirtied flight jumpsuit. This is Norbo.

"Gathol, what do you want?" Norbo asks, curtly.

Your father smiles. "You look like you could use help with repairs."

"In return for what? I know how you work."

"Information."

Norbo shrugs and gestures at the ship. "Sure, whatever, but we make repairs first. I don't have a lot of time."

Gathol rolls up his sleeves and asks for a technical readout so he can get to work. He expects you to help him as well.

REXXXX
Galder will lend his limited technical know-how to his father in helping Norbo fix up his ship. He quietly inspects whatever damage the ship sustained and wonders what the pirates have been up to. Then sets to work trying to patch it up.

"Information?" Galder asks Gathol when they have a moment together. "About what?"

Bespin Bart
"Events beyond Hoth," Gathol says. "Quiet, son. Focus on your work."

A quick inspection tells you that this starship saw action, and recently. Carbon-scoring across the hull indicates shield-breaching direct hits from laser cannons. Norbo's astromech units already patched up some of the armor. Your father starts running diagnostic checks with a datapad to pinpoint damaged systems.

"Start talking, Norbo," Gathol says. "What caused the depletion in your shield generator? You took hits."

"Just fix it, man," Norbo responds, irritated.

"I asked for information," Gathol says. "What's going on? This raiders' fleet always look worn down but never close to cracking."

Norbo ignores Gathol's pressing and barks some orders to the astromechs. Your father does not take kindly to being ignored. He moves quickly and grabs Norbo by the collar and physically lifts him from the ground. You sense a surge of emotion from your father as he exerts his Presence on the pirate ace.

"Talk, dammit," Gathol says.

"Why so interested?" Norbo hisses.

Some pirates have taken notice and moved in to watch, idly toting blasters.

REXXXX
Galder nervously continues to work on Norbo's ship while Gathol interrogates the green-furred pirate, wondering what his father could want here. He eyes the pirates moving in. He is ready to fight but would prefer not to. He doesn't feel ready; his training isn't complete.

"Just talk, Norbo," Galder says. "We don't want trouble."

Bespin Bart
A tense moment passes with Gathol holding Norbo off the ground, the pirate's buddies edging in to see if a fight breaks out. Finally, Norbo growls from somewhere in his alien throat.

"Fine," Norbo says. "Though I don't get how it's any of your concern."

Gathol puts the pirate down slowly.

"We're hunted men," Norbo starts.

"What happened?" Gathol prompts.

"We got info from a contact in the Javin system that a shipment of military-grade shield generators had arrived at an orbital warehouse..."

Norbo details things from there. This pirate operation operates independently in a remote region of the Galaxy, where they find minimal trade aside from gas miners and must rely upon scavenging or stealing what they need- anything from foodstuffs and cold-resistant gear to starfighter fuel and weapons. Swiping shield generators would've been a jackpot, not only because they could've been resold for small fortunes in the Outer Rim but also because it would've secured their base, which relies on its secret location more than its actual defenses. All the better that they wouldn't have to go far to get them; the Javin system is only a short hyperspace jump away from the Anoat system, on the edge of the Galactic Republic.

To start things off, Norbo paid off the contact to get them clearance codes to dock at the orbital warehouse. This allowed them to send their heavier transports in without resistance, and a light fighter escort waited outside sensor range. But upon docking with the warehouse and sending their gunners in to secure the generators and bring them back, they found the place completely empty.

"Not even security in the place, not even droids," Norbo says. "Just..."

"Jedi," Gathol says, slowly. Norbo and the pirates listening in flinch.

"Two of them," Norbo says.

REXXXX
Galder wonders the significance of that, mainly why Jedi would track down the pirates when he and his father have done nothing about them. But he doesn't ask questions now. He simply listens and continues inspecting the ship for damage, letting Gathol do the talking.

Bespin Bart
"How did you know...?" Norbo asks.

"If memory serves, the Javin system isn't well defended," Gathol replies. "Security details and planetary militias aside, something men of your trade wouldn't have problem hitting or avoiding..."

Examining the damaged starship, you quickly see burnt out sensors you could replace, hull sections you could weld... but your instincts tell you to look underneath the ship.

REXXXX
Then Galder will scramble under there and check it out.

Bespin Bart
You clamber under the ship. As with everything else, you see where shield breaches scarred the ship's armor plating and a direct hit slagged something important. But you aren't sure why you felt you should check down here.

"Our strike team didn't come back," Norbo says. "Either the Jedi wiped them out or they surrendered. Either way, we lost contact. The transport pilots high-tailed it back to the edge of the system to link up with the fighters, and the Javin starfleet chased us."

"Hmm," Gathol grunts. "It sounds like you lot got reckless and it cost you. The Jedi will be here soon."

"Fat chance of that," Norbo says. "They couldn't have followed us. We destroyed any fighters that could've given pursuit. Plus, we jumped in different directions and then met back here."

"Galder?" Gathol asks, suddenly addressing you. "Find anything?"

REXXXX
Galder will try to find something significant under the ship. While he's not very attuned to the Force, he's learned not to doubt his instincts, the few times that they come to him.

Bespin Bart
You're not the most observant either, but you manage three successes. Enough to find a small homing beacon stuck to the underside of the pirate ship.

REXXXX
Galder will peel it off, using a crowbar or something if he needs to, and present it to his father.

"They must've put this on your ship at some point..." Galder says to Norbo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.