What Streetleveler's I.Q is Higher than Deathstroke's?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
I'm not asking who knows more, because many people are better educated. My question is who has a higher i.q. than DS. TMK, his i.q has ever been pinned down. There was ONE time where the answer about DS's i.q is kinda answered when, in his debut, the narrator said his his brain can hold 10x more info than a human and he's 10x smarter. If we were to take that literally(And maybe we should), seeing the average i.q is 115, that would mean his I.Q is roughly 1150. That's Batman 1 million level intelligence. And he was a beast. So, have at it ya cocksuckers.

long pig
If his i.q IS 1150, then him being able to instantly mentally compute millions of scenarios and then using them to tag nonbloodlusted kid flash isn't that bad.

JakeTheBank
They said Slade uses 90% of his mind, so really, I don't see a lot of Slade's feats falling into extreme PIS territory.

srankmissingnin
I don't think that math works out right. Dont I.Q. tests use a base of 100 and move up in intervals of 15? Wouldn't his IQ be 250 if he was 10 times smarter?

Mindset
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
They said Slade uses 90% of his mind, so really, I don't see a lot of Slade's feats falling into extreme PIS territory. So he uses 10% less than a normal person.

Silent Master
Originally posted by long pig
What Streetleveler's I.Q is Higher than Deathstroke's?.

Reed, Doom, Tony, Pym etc etc

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Silent Master

I wouldn't dub any of those guys street levelers.

srankmissingnin

Not even Pym?

long pig
Dude, I don't know. That's why i'm asking. He his iq is ten times that of a normal person, and a norm's is 115, then how can his be only twice as much? Are you saying there is stopping point on iq?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Not even Pym?

If you separate him from his Pym Particles and standard tech, I suppose. He's the only person who's otherwise unaugmented by powers or enhancements of any kind.

long pig
Hell no pym isn't SL.

srankmissingnin
Dude, I don't know. That's why i'm asking. He his iq is ten times that of a normal person, and a norm's is 115, then how can his be only twice as much? Are you saying there is stopping point on iq?

I was under the impression it moved up or down in intervals of 15, and that 100 is the base they add (or subtract) from. So it would be 10 x 15, on top of the base of 100... but this is something I vaguely remember someone from high school telling me years ago, so it could be complete bs.

srankmissingnin
If you separate him from his Pym Particles and standard tech, I suppose. He's the only person who's otherwise unaugmented by powers or enhancements of any kind.

I don't know... we consider Batman and Black Panther street level even with their tech. I don't think anything he has elevates him above street level if we still consider Bruce one.

chomperx9
Batman, Duh

JakeTheBank
I don't know... we consider Batman and Black Panther street level even with there tech. I don't think anything he has elevates him above street level if we still consider Bruce one.

His Pym Particles firmly put him into meta territory, and as either Ant-Man or Giant-Man or what have you, imo. The guy recently grew to the abstract realm (WTF btw) and his standard equipment dwarfs what Batman usually carries.

long pig
I'd like to fig his iq out so I could make a 'smarter than or dumber than' list. i.e 1. Spiderman. 2. Batman. 3. Beast. 4. Black Panther uh....drawing a blank here. Someone add another genius SL.

Q99

They all have super powers, the weakest of those can grow hundreds of feat tall.

Try Mr. Terrific smile His tech still leaves most of his fighting done by punching people.

srankmissingnin
Slade is like Cap. He has a superhuman ability to learn and retain knowledge as well as knack for concocting brilliant combat strategies. I however wouldn't say he is "smarter" than any character of notable intelligence, even the minor genius like Parker or Kitty Pride.

long pig
I was under the impression it moved up or down in intervals of 15, and that 100 is the base they add (or subtract) from. So it would be 10 x 15, on top of the base of 100... but this is something I vaguely remember someone from high school telling me years ago, so it could be complete bs. That actually makes sense. He it IS total bs, it was some premium quality bs. If it's correct, them how fubaking smart was BM one million cuz he had a 1500 iq.

-Pr-
His Pym Particles firmly put him into meta territory, and as either Ant-Man or Giant-Man or what have you, imo. The guy recently grew to the abstract realm (WTF btw) and his standard equipment dwarfs what Batman usually carries.

Don't diss Pym.

srankmissingnin

I'm still not convinced. Half the shit Black Panther pulls out his ass without warning when the situation call for it is more useful/power/impressive than Pym particles...

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by -Pr-
Don't diss Pym.

I meant "WTF" in a good way, damn it!

I fully support the Scientist Supreme. sneer

JakeTheBank
I'm still not convinced. Half the shit Black Panther pulls out his ass without warning when the situation call for it is more useful/power/impressive than Pym particles...

So you would think Pym as the Wasp or Giant Man is strictly street level?

Silent Master

Except for Reed, they are all normal humans that use tech. and Reed had a higher IQ than Slade even before he gained powers.

srankmissingnin
That actually makes sense. He it IS total bs, it was some premium quality bs. If it's correct, them how fubaking smart was BM one million cuz he had a 1500 iq.

Maybe, Batman One Million's intelligence was to Reed Richards, as Karate Kid is to Shang-Chi? Scary!

Digi
Yeah, IQ has an upper limit from what I've seen, and also isn't 1:1 with point increases.

Hyperbole abounds in comics. You can take 1 instance of it to make all sorts of absurd rationalizations. But when held up to context, it doesn't fit. I'm not sure why this one would merit more consideration than any other example, especially since it's before the character was well-established. So...Slade = Batman 1 Million? Heh.

Dum Dum Dugan
Honestly think his 10 times brain power or whatever it is, has more to do with his physical ability. That his brain can percieve items moveing beyond what a human could. In other words capt, spidy ect. Just means his brain is enhanced beyond normal humans in terms of reaction. I do not believe it has anything to do with his actual intellect or that he smarter then people like NW, batman ect.

long pig
I disagree, my man srank(bless you and than massive summersausage you smuggle in your pants). DS is a very accomplised inventer and seems to be a wiz at any scientific...um, stuff.

JakeTheBank
Except for Reed, they are all normal humans that use tech. and Reed had a higher IQ than Slade even before he gained powers.

Doom has magical powers which surpass that of current Strange - and rivaled Strange when he was the SS. Tony actually has superpowers now as he is Iron Man. And Pym with his standard equipment as a whole is a meta. IIRC, I think the Pym Particles are actually a part of him biologically anyway now.

srankmissingnin
So you would think Pym as the Wasp or Giant Man is strictly street level?

Do you think Clint is a bigger threat as Hawkeye or Goliath?

JakeTheBank
Do you think Clint is a bigger threat as Hawkeye or Goliath?

Hawkeye, but Giant-Man (and especially Wasp) > Goliath, anyway.

I don't see how being a class 50 with moderate durability and super strength and the ability to shrink or grow mass doesn't make you a meta class being instead of a street leveler. Hawkeye's arrows can be exceptionally powerful, but as a whole, he's a street level character.

Pym, as a whole, is not.

srankmissingnin
Anyone seen the movie limitless? Bradly Cooper is pretty much gains the powers of Deathstroke and is awesome.

Dum Dum Dugan
I disagree, my man srank(bless you and than massive summersausage you smuggle in your pants). DS is a very accomplised inventer and seems to be a wiz at any scientific...um, stuff.

Yes but not more so then Batman. Only enhance brain slade has is the same one any superhuman worth there grit has. They can react to more stimuli and at faster rates then normal humans. However they are not smarter intellectually, which is why capt, slade ect. Are not the smartest people on the planet or close to it. Reed batman ect. are smarter.

srankmissingnin
Hawkeye, but Giant-Man (and especially Wasp) > Goliath, anyway.

I don't see how being a class 50 with moderate durability and super strength and the ability to shrink or grow mass doesn't make you a meta class being instead of a street leveler.

For the same reason Iron Fist can one shot bullet trains, and is street level? Growing 100 feet or shrinking is a minor ability, countered easily by something as simple as a gas grenade. I don't consider it enough to elevate someone above the parameters of street level.

JakeTheBank
For the same reason Iron Fist can one shot bullet trains, and is street level? Growing 100 feet or shrinking is a minor ability, countered easily by something as simple as a gas grenade. I don't consider it enough to elevate someone above the parameters of street level.

See, but I don't consider Iron Fist street level, not when factoring in his chi based abilities. *shrug*

Dum Dum Dugan
Slade not technically a street leveler either.

long pig
Originally posted by Digi
Yeah, IQ has an upper limit from what I've seen, and also isn't 1:1 with point increases.

Hyperbole abounds in comics. You can take 1 instance of it to make all sorts of absurd rationalizations. But when held up to context, it doesn't fit. I'm not sure why this one would merit more consideration than any other example, especially since it's before the character was well-established. So...Slade = Batman 1 Million? Heh. I don't think you got what I said. I was saying that even his first appearance he was 10x more intelligent. Since then it's been said in 90 percent of his showings. It wasn't a one time thing. I THINK even when DS was powerless and was kicking bat's ass, he commented that DS was still smarter.

Dum Dum Dugan
edit came off kinda harsh. 90% of his showings? You may want to rephrase that.

Silent Master
Peter Paker also has a higher IQ.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
edit came off kinda harsh. 90% of his showings? You may want to rephrase that.

It's been stated numerous times that Slade uses 90% of his brain whereas the normal human only taps into 10%, which is based off that myth in real world science.

srankmissingnin
Slade was never powerless when he fought Batman, that happened later. Not sure why that is so hard for some people to fallow... it's not like you are watching Momento or anything, it's pretty simple.

long pig
Anyone seen the movie limitless? Bradly Cooper is pretty much gains the powers of Deathstroke and is awesome. What?! Dude, tell me everything!

Dum Dum Dugan
It's been stated numerous times that Slade uses 90% of his brain whereas the normal human only taps into 10%, which is based off that myth in real world science.
Not has numerous or close to 90% of his showings. In fact i wager it stated a lot less then even you are implying.

Also human uses 100% of there brain, so he can use 90% all he wants.

long pig
Slade was never powerless when he fought Batman, that happened later. Not sure why that is so hard for some people to fallow... it's not like you are watching Momento or anything, it's pretty simple. You might wanna check it again. He was losing his powers. He even mentions after the fight that if he still had his powers he'd have already healed and not be in so much pain. At most he had depowered down to only being physically equal to Batman instead of way superior. He wasn't full powered, he just was a better fighter.

srankmissingnin
What?! Dude, tell me everything!

He takes an untested pill that unleashes the full potential of the human brain. I think they even use the same "humans only use 10% of their brain" fallacy as Deathstroke. He starts remembering everything he's ever heard or seen, like total recall of College Lectures, fighting from movies he's seen, even complete minutia like stuff playing on tv in the back ground during conversations he had years ago. He's so smart that he can see patterns in everything and calculate the most likely outcome. Sooooooooooooo he uses his powers to get rich and get laid, until shit hits the fan because the mob is after him, he is out of pills and if you stop taking them you die.

JakeTheBank
Not has numerous or close to 90% of his showings. In fact i wager it stated a lot less then even you are implying.

Also human uses 100% of there brain, so he can use 90% all he wants.

I didn't say it was 90% of his showings. I said it was stated often, though.

It was based off of the old "humans use 10% of their brain" myth. And Slade was said to tap into 90% of it as compared to the average human. Comic science =/= real science, after all.

long pig

Also human uses 100% of there brain, so he can use 90% all he wants. Hey big pimp Jim! Good to see ya! I was of course exaggerating, I'm saying it's been said a lot in his books.

Dum Dum Dugan

It was based off of the old "humans use 10% of their brain" myth. And Slade was said to tap into 90% of it as compared to the average human. Comic science =/= real science, after all.
well my response was to someone saying it was 90% of his showings.

Yes which is hyperbole and is meaningless and was wrong to begin with. Putting stock into a fake myth which means nothing is pointless. Yes and when was the last time they even tried to state his brain worked at 90%? 10 years ago 15, 20?

I sorry but I dont put stock into fake myths that are hyperbole to begin with. He has the same mind as capt, no more no less. People seem to be trying to imply his abilities are greater then they are, which seems to be common occurrence with slade.

srankmissingnin

It hasn't been said in years. Recently they have gone with "complete control over the brain / body" in stead.

Digi
I don't think you got what I said. I was saying that even his first appearance he was 10x more intelligent. Since then it's been said in 90 percent of his showings. It wasn't a one time thing. I THINK even when DS was powerless and was kicking bat's ass, he commented that DS was still smarter.

Smarter how, though? He doesn't have a fraction of Batman's IQ feats.

I just think that the hype doesn't live up to the character. Smart, hell yes. IQ in quadruple digits (or whatever similar nonsense), no. Smarter than other comic "brains" also no.

Dum Dum Dugan
Hey big pimp Jim! Good to see ya! I was of course exaggerating, I'm saying it's been said a lot in his books.
good to see you as well my friend, how are you?

I dont disagree it was said a number of times, but that was years even a decade or more ago. Most of those are vague statements at best and no real way to rationalize what that even means.

long pig
Even though DS hasn't done any of those things in the movie, should we ancieds him capable of doing it....seeing it's his exact powerset.

Dum Dum Dugan
Even though DS hasn't done any of those things in the movie, should we ancieds him capable of doing it....seeing it's his exact powerset.

Movie have zero relevance to his comic self.

srankmissingnin
You might wanna check it again. He was losing his powers. He even mentions after the fight that if he still had his powers he'd have already healed and not be in so much pain. At most he had depowered down to only being physically equal to Batman instead of way superior. He wasn't full powered, he just was a better fighter.

Batman and Slade fight in Deathstroke issue 7. Slade states he has been enhanced and that he is "stronger" yada yada yada during the fight. In the next issue - while severely hurt due to the after math of the fight with Batman - he directly references the serum and it's abilities. At then end of that issue (issue 08 for those keeping track) he is captured and dosed again. In issue 09 (two issues after the fight with Batman), Bruce shows up to save him and that's when his powers disappeared. There was no indication, not even a slight one, that he was depowered or weaker than usual when he fought Batman on the side of that sky scrapper.

long pig
well my response was to someone saying it was 90% of his showings.

Yes which is hyperbole and is meaningless and was wrong to begin with. Putting stock into a fake myth which means nothing is pointless. Yes and when was the last time they even tried to state his brain worked at 90%? 10 years ago 15, 20?

I sorry but I dont put stock into fake myths that are hyperbole to begin with. He has the same mind as capt, no more no less. People seem to be trying to imply his abilities are greater then they are, which seems to be common occurrence with slade. Do you have any evidence or proof at all to even suggest it's hyperbole? Tell me any reason why we shouldn't take it as his creator said he meant it. Do you jon more about the truth than the guy who created him? Who cares if the 10 percent thing is a Myth, so is Thor. Does that mean Thor has on power? You're reaching.

Dum Dum Dugan
edit censoring my self lol

long pig
lol Digi you still don't get it. I wasn't saying he was smarter than anyone, I was asking if he was. I personally don't think he's smart like Beast but more strategy smart. And I guess i was wrong bout the powerless thing. I'll check to be sure.

long pig
So, cap level is where we all agree on?

Dum Dum Dugan
So, cap level is where we all agree on?
yes agreed.

srankmissingnin

If I had the helm of a Deathstroke or Cap book... that's how I'd write them...

long pig
Until recently I had never read a car comic, but I have been lately, and, to be honest, Cap actually does have better strength feats than DS. It seems Cap is indeed stronger but DS has the better speed feats and he's a better healer. But yeah, Cap is badass.

long pig
If I had the helm of a Deathstroke or Cap book... that's how I'd write them... It sounds awesomer than all hell. Is it of or should Marvel drop this whole cap not being superhuman bullshit? The guy is superhuman through and through. Speed, strength intell agility etc. Same as DS and Wolvie. Now, who do we equate DS's speed to? I have a feeling he's in his own category below Spidey. above Cap. Wrong?

srankmissingnin
Some writers confuse the absolute pinnacle of possible human potential (Cap), with peak human (Batman). Batman is the best a human can be now, Cap is supped to be the best a human could ever potentially be. In some sense the term peak is apt... but they should come out and say the word "super" is in Super Soldier for a reason.

srankmissingnin
Until recently I had never read a car comic, but I have been lately, and, to be honest, Cap actually does have better strength feats than DS. It seems Cap is indeed stronger but DS has the better speed feats and he's a better healer. But yeah, Cap is badass.

Cap has healed a bullet to the head, and shrugged of machine gun fire to the chest without his armor. So he does have healing facts on par with Slade's but just no where near as many, he only has a handful. Cap has better strength feats, and Slade jumped through a moving fan, but I like to assume the are more or less equal terms physically with around class 2 strength and low level superhuman speed.

long pig
Dude, Cap has feats that blow cat 2 strength out of the water. At max, maybe 3.5 where DS hovers slightly under 2ton. Cap has picked up and slammed a 5 ton robot in training. When you and jin would say he's around Cap's level I thought you were saying DS was not even enhanced. After reading Cap, it turned out my idea of DS was lower than your ideas of DS's powers. so, yeah. smile laughing out loud

srankmissingnin
Dude, Cap has feats that blow cat 2 strength out of the water. At max, maybe 3.5 where DS hovers slightly under 2ton. Cap has picked up and slammed a 5 ton robot in training. When you and jin would say he's around Cap's level I thought you were saying DS was not even enhanced. After reading, my idea of DS was lower than your ideas of cap's powers. so, yeah. smile laughing out loud

lol

Yeah Cap is the shit, a lot of people are under the impression that is physically comparable to Batman... but we know different. cool

long pig
Yeah, they went from saying the 90percent brain thing to having control over mind and body.......which still makes no goddamn sense. Way to clear things up DC.

Deadline
Some writers confuse the absolute pinnacle of possible human potential (Cap), with peak human (Batman). Batman is the best a human can be now, Cap is supped to be the best a human could ever potentially be. In some sense the term peak is apt... but they should come out and say the word "super" is in Super Soldier for a reason.

I actually agree hell even after watching the movie trailer it's pretty obvious Cap is supposed to be above Batman (conceptually).

and shrugged of machine gun fire to the chest without his armor.

When? Scans?

lol

Yeah Cap is the shit, a lot of people are under the impression that is physically comparable to Batman... but we know different. cool

Hes superior but not by a great deal.

Tha C-Master
100 is the base, 15 is the deviation. IQ tests are really faulty and don't measure different types of intelligence, nor do they adhere to cultural differences etc.

Existere
By actual feats, Batman, Mr Terrific, Black Panther, Amadeus Cho, on and on.

Daredevil1
Cap and Slade are so similar its crazy. They even both have statements of slowed aging/living forever.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
100 is the base, 15 is the deviation. IQ tests are really faulty and don't measure different types of intelligence, nor do they adhere to cultural differences etc.
correct.

cultural difference part is actually becoming a problem, that social status is effecting one IQ score, which begs the question if it even real.

Saw a study in which Identical twins raised together had almost if not the same IQ, but raised in separate houses, had completely different IQ scores.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Deadline
I actually agree hell even after watching the movie trailer it's pretty obvious Cap is supposed to be above Batman (conceptually).

When? Scans?

Hes superior but not by a great deal.

Sorry, I don't really have any Cap scans on my comp, but I think Bachalo was the artist so that is a pretty narrow window if you wanted to look yourself.

Daredevil1

I never thought I'd see the day that long pig admits that.....LOL.

Remember this thread that I made a long time ago long pig? I actually view Cap/Slade as equals in strength but because Cap has much more strength feats to use, he would look the better.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=425753&pagenumber=1

Black bolt z
Banner

Tha C-Master
correct.

cultural difference part is actually becoming a problem, that social status is effecting one IQ score, which begs the question if it even real.

Saw a study in which Identical twins raised together had almost if not the same IQ, but raised in separate houses, had completely different IQ scores. Yea, and people think Schooling tests it. Whereas school focuses mostly on linguistic. There are different intelligences for different things. I'm not sure most people understand that, specifically comic book writers.

People should be trained in the are they are best at.

long pig
Originally posted by Daredevil1
I never thought I'd see the day that long pig admits that.....LOL.

Remember this thread that I made a long time ago long pig? I actually view Cap/Slade as equals in strength but because Cap has much more strength feats to use, he would look the better.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=425753&pagenumber=1 Reported for making me look bad.

long pig
100 is the base, 15 is the deviation. IQ tests are really faulty and don't measure different types of intelligence, nor do they adhere to cultural differences etc. Jesus christ, so batman 1 million's ass is probably the smartest being in comics below omniscients.

Tha C-Master
Jesus christ, so batman 1 million's ass is probably the smartest being in comics below omniscients. They just used huge numbers, those test have an actual cap, and many humans have capped it.

Omega Vision
Vargas would have words with you.

Mindset
Vargas just complicates everything.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Mindset
Vargas just complicates everything.
Lol. I really wish he'd never been made. His character concept is just whack.

Q99
I thought Vargas was expanded human potential? That is, in the ways humans are normally strong, he goes beyond. Amping the same things the super soldier serum does, but without stopping at current human potential.

long pig
IMO although Cap is a good bit stronger than Bats, Batman can hit harder. Not through strength but semi mystical martial arts technique a la iron fist.

long pig
If Iron Fist was a lesbian she'd be called Rubber Fist. (I was going to say something about Rust Fist....but it was too disgusting)

Deadline
IMO although Cap is a good bit stronger than Bats, Batman can hit harder. Not through strength but semi mystical martial arts technique a la iron fist.

I really don't think Bats has got the showings to prove that.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Vargas would have words with you.

So does Temugin, Mandarin, Dr Strange, Flippy etc.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Deadline
I really don't think Bats has got the showings to prove that.

Leopard Blow? shifty

Originally posted by Existere
By actual feats, Batman, Mr Terrific, Black Panther, Amadeus Cho, on and on. peter parker and lex luthor too. I am yet to see anything DS came up with that would require being ten times smarter than a regular human

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Lol. I really wish he'd never been made. His character concept is just whack. and thankfully dropped by now. his short-lived career was entirely PIS if you ask me.

rougeredmage
i cant beleive that daredevil and moonknight hasnt been mentioned enough yet.

daredevil must have a pretty decent iq level to be a lawyer

moonknight has to be smart to keep all his secret identities up

inimalist
They said Slade uses 90% of his mind

I hate comics so much...

Deadline
Originally posted by rougeredmage
i cant beleive that daredevil and moonknight hasnt been mentioned enough yet.

daredevil must have a pretty decent iq level to be a lawyer

moonknight has to be smart to keep all his secret identities up

Give me a break. She Hulks a lawyer not saying shes stupid...

basilisk
Puny Banner. When not Hulked out he is so weak he may be below street level like basement level. Sewer level even. But his IQ is up there.

Tazer
Yo.

not sure if this has been addressed (cuz I dont feel like reading EVERY page to check), but the avg (normal) IQ is 100; 115 would make him *above* the avg.

Tazer

inimalist
it is supposed to be 100, but actual results do net an average of 105 and over

Parmaniac
Originally posted by inimalist
it is supposed to be 100, but actual results do net an average of 105 and over Must be the inflation hitting us agian stick out tongue

Lord Feron
Constantine is smart and extremely cunning so does that count?

Daredevil1

Batman is no Iron Fist. And Batman cannot hit harder then Steve based on his feats.

Tazer
Yo.

it is supposed to be 100, but actual results do net an average of 105 and over

yea, but an avg of 105 *isnt that much* of a deviation from 100, and that score is likely to come from others who have a much higher score, which would in-effect raise the avg.

Tazer

Originally posted by Lord Feron
Constantine is smart and extremely cunning so does that count? it should, people tend to forget those who excell at non-science reated fields

Omega Vision
I would also put Ozymandias above Deathstroke.

He might be the smartest 'true' street leveler in comics, depending on whether you really consider Batman street. To me Batman really doesn't fit into the street tier a lot of the time thanks to his gear and tech.

inimalist
Originally posted by Tazer
yea, but an avg of 105 *isnt that much* of a deviation from 100, and that score is likely to come from others who have a much higher score, which would in-effect raise the avg.

well, yes, that's why the whole concept of an average iq is broken in the first place, because depending on a whole host of other factors, you can get very different average iqs. start a thread in the GDF if you want.

finding a single news report or study that found an avg iq of 115 would not be surprising at all, and you are correct, says more about the people in that study than the population as a whole, but this is the same as any study about absolutly anything.

Tazer
Yo.

that test results can be skewered & are arbitrary is already understood, however *my* point was that the OP was making 115 the baseline for the norm which throws off the whole judgement scale since ppl who have *that score* tend to be considered ABOVE avg.

Tazer

inimalist
115 is a little high, sure, but it is easily something he could have read somewhere, and really, one standard deviation (and a bit) isn't much. like, 115 is still only going to be like 70-80th percentile, if the average were really 100, which it isn't. 115 is within one sd of the real average for sure.

marwash22
how much should we take away from DS considering he has access to more brain power than almost every other comic character?

Q99
IQ 100 is supposed to be average by definition- that is to say, if the average starts moving, they adjust the scale to make it average. Though the tests do tend to lag behind that a bit (intelligence is rising faster than test calibration) hence higher scores being common.

inimalist
Originally posted by Q99
IQ 100 is supposed to be average by definition- that is to say, if the average starts moving, they adjust the scale to make it average. Though the tests do tend to lag behind that a bit (intelligence is rising faster than test calibration) hence higher scores being common.

the average of who? the earths population? Only those tested (who tend to be well educated westerners)? those who are wealthy? whites?

look, seriously, if there is interest in this topic, let's take it to the GDF where we can get deeper into what iq scores really mean, and why this avg=100 thing is generally not standard

the average of who? the earths population? Only those tested (who tend to be well educated westerners)? those who are wealthy? whites?

look, seriously, if there is interest in this topic, let's take it to the GDF where we can get deeper into what iq scores really mean, and why this avg=100 thing is generally not standard nah let's spam this thread with unrelated chatter. so, stephen jay gould claimed that G was a satistical artifact produced by the analysis of non-related cognitive capacities, but I understand mainstream psychometrics disgarees and beleives the correlations are real. your thoughts? and how do you feel about multiple intelligences theory?

inimalist
Originally posted by 753
nah let's spam this thread with unrelated chatter.

done, oh, and by the way, everyone sign up for my tournament!

Originally posted by 753
so, stephen jay gould claimed that G was a satistical artifact produced by the analysis of non-related cognitive capacities, but I understand mainstream psychometrics disgarees and beleives the correlations are real. your thoughts?

ugh, ya, ask an easy question.

short answer would be, any measure of g we have is known to be influenced by things that are, at best, indirectly tied to what people would think of as intelligence, but do I think there is a specific cognitive system that underlies problem solving, which is not just comprised of other systems? of course.

the Stanford-binnet has it's problems, but I don't think that means the idea of "intelligence", as a cognitive system, is just a collection of other systems, just that the production of problem solving skills is not independent of context.

Originally posted by 753
and how do you feel about multiple intelligences theory?

there are some things I like very much about it, but at times I think they call anything at which someone call be skilled at a form of intelligence, which makes sense from the political history of intelligence research (it is wrong to say someone might not be intelligent, but not so with things like athleticism, creativity, leadership, charisma, etc.

clearly though, what is understood by the public as intelligence is not simply what the Stanford-binnet measures, and few people close to the science would suggest this, as the data isn't there.

Dum Dum Dugan
Yea, and people think Schooling tests it. Whereas school focuses mostly on linguistic. There are different intelligences for different things. I'm not sure most people understand that, specifically comic book writers.

People should be trained in the are they are best at.
Agreed

Deadline
Jehzus..what the hell happened to this thread?

Tha C-Master
Agreed It'll never happen, our schools are giant pits and businesses sucking out money, they should be in the free market.

Daredevil1
Cap has picked up and slammed a 5 ton robot in training.

I'd like to see this feat? What title/issue did this happen?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.