Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
See the trailer.

I dunno. erm

Robtard
Has a few good actors, the chic is hot and it's Planet of The Apes. I smell a potential decent SciFi.

Now, if it just had a man wearing nothing except torn leather short-shorts telling apes to take their stinking paws off him, we'd have an epic.

Rogue Jedi
I never got how apes take over mankind. We have guns, FFS.

T.M
The trailer looks decent I think.

Should change the name though, what a mouthful.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I never got how apes take over mankind. We have guns, FFS.

In the original they didn't. It was man who took mankind down through wars and the apes rose to power after; they then had the guns.

Impediment
The saving grace is that Tim Burton is nowhere near this flick.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Robtard
In the original they didn't. It was man who took mankind down through wars and the apes rose to power after; they then had the guns. Not an "Apes" fan. Won't see this.

Robtard
Not an "Apes" fan. Won't see this.

Go watch your Harry Potter, ***.

Rogue Jedi
Go watch your Harry Potter, ***. Come on, dude, you know it's gonna suck.

Robtard
Come on, dude, you know it's gonna suck.

I'm more inclined to think it will, but as I said, decent actors, a hot chic and Planet of the Apes theme, has potential.

BruceSkywalker
james franco is coming off of a flop...

i have no hope for this

0mega Spawn
i actually like the one with mark walberg
hated that damn cliffhanger

i wanted to see mark walberg kicking monkey azz nonstop for 120 min cool

dadudemon
Looks good.

Also, I wish to smack the idiot commentors on the videos saying this is the prequal to the original planet of the apes. IDIOT! Man killed man in the original.

I do not know how these Apes are supposed to pull of a victory...it seems illogical.

SnakeEyes
Looks absolutely terrible. I just... there's nothing good about it. At all.

Kazenji
Looks alright but i'll wait until its actually out and see what the critics say about it.

Mr. Rhythmic
Come on, dude, you know it's gonna suck.

Actually, it looks pretty awesome. I think that, at worst, it will be an interesting watch.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by dadudemon
I do not know how these Apes are supposed to pull of a victory...it seems illogical.

Why does everyone have such a problem with the movie already because of that? Does everyone really think that they won't explain it? You have to for the film to work, but they won't tell you what it is in the trailer.

Kazenji
Pretty much, thats whole point of a trailer

heres a definition from a dictionary

take Planet Of The Apes the trailer for that did'nt exactly give away the iconic ending.

Robtard
Looks good.

Also, I wish to smack the idiot commentors on the videos saying this is the prequal to the original planet of the apes. IDIOT! Man killed man in the original.

Don't think the point of this film is that apes take over the world. Just that apes achieve a higher level of consciousness due to man's intervention and it's an indicator of what's to come.

Could also tie into the original, there's a massive world war sometime in the future where man demolishes all and the apes rise to power as they where in the first film over thousands and thousands of years due the their earlier genetic boosting.

Edit: Just looked it up, this is a reboot/prequel of the original and the basis for a series of films to follow. So we'll likely see man's destruction and the apes rise to power in following films they're planning(if they get made), though they could take an entirely differet path.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Impediment
The saving grace is that Tim Burton is nowhere near this flick.

anytime Tim Burton isnt involved with classic material,thats great news,he does his best work when he does his OWN stuff.

ADarksideJedi
I argee with that.

Esau Cairn
I've always enjoyed Man Vs Creature movies so no matter how absurd the plot to this movie may seem, I'm really looking forward to it.

Especially with Weta (P.Jackson's Kong) behind the cgi, it's gonna be a fun ride.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Why does everyone have such a problem with the movie already because of that? Does everyone really think that they won't explain it? You have to for the film to work, but they won't tell you what it is in the trailer.

I can and will judge a movie by it's trailer because that's exactly what they are for.

A lab of gorillas and chimps have no possible feasible way to "take over the world." There had better be some sort of reason. As it stands, it would have to be far worse in the intelligence department than Battle: LA in order to pull off a "take over" from the apes.

Esau Cairn

A lab of gorillas and chimps have no possible feasible way to "take over the world." There had better be some sort of reason. As it stands, it would have to be far worse in the intelligence department than Battle: LA in order to pull off a "take over" from the apes.

Well in context to the trailer I've seen, nowhere does it imply apes "taking over the world"...just simply they're intelligent & have escaped.

And maybe it's more of a viral thing that's contagious & deadly to humans rather than ape brute strength vs men with guns.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Well in context to the trailer I've seen, nowhere does it imply apes "taking over the world"...just simply they're intelligent & have escaped.

And maybe it's more of a viral thing that's contagious & deadly to humans rather than ape brute strength vs men with guns.

"An origin story set in present day San Francisco, where man's own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy."

No matter what, the outcome is apes taking over the world.

Esau Cairn
Well the keyword is "onset".

Either way, I look forward to the slow-mo shots of poo being hurled.

dadudemon
Either way, I look forward to the slow-mo shots of poo being hurled.

lulz

Kazenji
I can and will judge a movie by it's trailer because that's exactly what they are for.

But not to reveal the how it all happens which you failing to accept

Originally posted by Mr Parker
anytime Tim Burton isnt involved with classic material,thats great news,he does his best work when he does his OWN stuff.

Except for some rare occasions (Sweeney Todd) which you've admitted.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
But not to reveal the how it all happens which you failing to accept

I can and will judge a movie by its trailer because that's what they are for. If you think that they are for something else, please, enlighten me with your wisdom.

There's obviously lots of wanking over this movie, already. It's unwarrented. The movie is not even out and it has an army of defenders.

Samurai4Hire
I loved the original series with Charelton Heston but im old. I also love that it has a "Secret of NIMH" aspect to it. Does anyone remember that movie??? I cant wait to see it

Samurai4Hire

AMEN Brother

Robtard
The movie is not even out and it has an army of defenders.

Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death. - Passage from The Sacred Scrolls

0mega Spawn
laughing out loud irony at its best

Rogue Jedi
They've already taken over Houston.

dadudemon
Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death. - Passage from The Sacred Scrolls

See, I HOPE that the Apes somehow keep sh*t in line with the old films. I hope that they are either tied to or completely unrelated to the destruction that the humans bring on themselves.

IF they do that, THEN I'll be satisifed with the direction the story goes. It would take some expert writing to nicely use the "smart" apes as the catalyst of Man's self-destruction. I don't hold my breath for that. We've been severely disappointed recently and I'm becoming more and more jaded towards films and their trailers.

Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
laughing out loud irony at its best

And it never happened so it's not irony. What actually happened: man destroyed themselves leaving plenty of room for the apes to fill in the void. Fillin in a power vacuum is not "taking over the world" which directly means that they overthrow the humans.

Robtard
See, I HOPE that the Apes somehow keep sh*t in line with the old films. I hope that they are either tied to or completely unrelated to the destruction that the humans bring on themselves.

IF they do that, THEN I'll be satisifed with the direction the story goes. It would take some expert writing to nicely use the "smart" apes as the catalyst of Man's self-destruction. I don't hold my breath for that. We've been severely disappointed recently and I'm becoming more and more jaded towards films and their trailers.

Would make the most sense to stick to the original story, man destroys himself, apes are better suited to survive/pick up the pieces and become the top of the food chain.

Makes more sense than apes overthrowing mankind, though I'd suspect they may change the manner in which man destroys humanity, eg instead of nuclear war(this is so 80's & 90s), maybe a super-virus that forms later on from the genetic experiments with the apes in this film. Some kind of airborne Super-AIDS that doesn't kill apes but drops people like flies.

dadudemon
Would make the most sense to stick to the original story, man destroys himself, apes are better suited to survive/pick up the pieces and become the top of the food chain.

Makes more sense than apes overthrowing mankind, though I'd suspect they may change the manner in which man destroys humanity, eg instead of nuclear war(this is so 80's & 90s), maybe a super-virus that forms later on from the genetic experiments with the apes in this film. Some kind of airborne Super-AIDS that doesn't kill apes but drops people like flies.

Lol. super-AIDS.

BackFire
My cousin edited for this movie, and he said it's really crap.

Then again, he says every movie he works on is crap. Usually he's right, though.

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
My cousin edited for this movie, and he said it's really crap.

Then again, he says every movie he works on is crap. Usually he's right, though.

1. lulz. Figures.
2. Lulz X2. I'm becoming like that, more and more.

elfirrepins
And it never happened so it's not irony. What actually happened: man destroyed themselves leaving plenty of room for the apes to fill in the void. Fillin in a power vacuum is not "taking over the world" which directly means that they overthrow the humans.

He said irony because he is implying that the people who currently rule the world are apes and chimps, meaning the government.

dadudemon
Originally posted by elfirrepins
He said irony because he is implying that the people who currently rule the world are apes and chimps, meaning the government.

I thought he said irony because, as he interpretted it, exactly what I said couldn't happen, happened, so it was ironic that I would say that.

I then explained why it wasn't ironic.

Your meaning is a much too political for his usual posts, though I do admit yours is the more intelligent interpretation.

Also, I don't buy the 4 sequels to the original Planet of the Apes as "canon." The original film ended perfectly with the humans anihilating eachother with nukes and chimps taking over in about 2000 years...though it would take much longer than 2000 years for evolution to work that well. They had to create 2 sequals to explain that disparity...which is why I think it should have ended with the first film.

Kazenji

They had to create 2 sequals to explain that disparity...which is why I think it should have ended with the first film.

That Hollywood for ya.

0mega Spawn
Like I said, irony at its best laughing out loud

dadudemon
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
Like I said, irony at its best laughing out loud

Except "taking over" is not the same, contextually, as you are using it in. Putting it in context with what we were talking about earlier...humans ACTUALLY being overthrown by chimps rather than killing themselves leaving a power vacuum.

0mega Spawn

Rogue Jedi
Marines with guns>>>>>>>>>>Buncha monkeys.

Kazenji
You mean Apes

and yes there is a difference.

Samurai4Hire

I dont think thos idea holds water either because the "Ape" has had time to "Evolve " and is still an "Ape" If one buys the theory of evolution they must take into consideration there would be no apes today if ,infact, Homo Sapiens actually evolved from primates.

dadudemon

Rogue Jedi
You mean Apes

and yes there is a difference. Both fall to a hail of bullets.

Robtard
Originally posted by Samurai4Hire
I dont think thos idea holds water either because the "Ape" has had time to "Evolve " and is still an "Ape" If one buys the theory of evolution they must take into consideration there would be no apes today if ,infact, Homo Sapiens actually evolved from primates.

The apes in this film are genetically modified, that's the premise. Man did it.

No apes today? Not what Evolution Theory stipulates, but I'm pretty sure you know that.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Samurai4Hire

I actually do not understand the points your are making. Something about evolution, apes, etc.

This part, especially, is confusing: "there would be no apes today if, in fact, Homo sapiens actually evolved from primates."

That makes no sense. I do not even know how that is supposed to make sense.

You are saying that there would be no ape species existing today IF humans evolved from primates?

HOLY SHIT is that such a confusing statement. Mostly because it is utterly *insert bad word about intelligence, here* if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Humans are primates. Humans are apes.
Chimps are primates. Chimps are apes.

Apes would not exist if humans evolved from primates? That statement is as ridiculous and non sequitur as saying that watermelon tastes like 32.

I guess if you're under the assumption that there cannot be more than one species of ape in existence at a time, it makes sense. But that would be *insert bad word about intelligence, here*.

We can take a shit on the idea that multiple species cannot evolve into the same Hominidae Family by pointing you to the thousands of other species that belong, genetically, to the same Families.

Robtard

You are saying that there would be no ape species existing today IF humans evolved from primates?

This really your first time hearing this angle? It was used a few times as trolling-bait in the Religion forum here a years pasted. I've seen it used in a few other forums too where religion and evolution where clashed.

EG "If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes here today? Wouldn't they be human."

dadudemon
This really your first time hearing this angle? It was used a few times as trolling-bait in the Religion forum here a years pasted. I've seen it used in a few other forums too where religion and evolution where clashed.

EG "If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes here today? Wouldn't they be human."

Oh. It still doesn't make even a little bit of sense.

I'm serious when I say it's so full of ignorance and il-logic that I can't stand it. alsdf a;lsdkf ;lsakdj ;laj

See, I just had a frustration spasm, just then.

Robtard

I'm serious when I say it's so full of ignorance and il-logic that I can't stand it. alsdf a;lsdkf ;lsakdj ;laj

Well yes, that's the point, it's purposely taking Evolution Theory misrepresenting it to levels of retardation few can achieve.

Though I have actually heard that said in sincerity from bible beaters before. I think online it's just to troll.

butcher
Oh cool... love Planet of the Apes!!

Will definitely keep an eye out for this one.

Esau Cairn

You're lucky apes haven't taken over yet...
Try arguing with them over a message board.

Or Facebook. roll eyes (sarcastic)

dadudemon
You're lucky apes haven't taken over yet...
Try arguing with them over a message board.

Or Facebook. roll eyes (sarcastic)

We have taken over: humans are an ape. Great Ape, to be exact. smile

Okay..I'm done. lol

Esau Cairn
We have taken over: humans are an ape. Great Ape, to be exact. smile

Okay..I'm done. lol

Sounds like personal hygiene issues. stick out tongue

dadudemon
Sounds like personal hygiene issues. stick out tongue

eek!

How dare you! laughing

Esau Cairn
GIT YER FILTHY HANDS OFF MEEEE!

elfirrepins
Well, at least we know who to kill now...

Kazenji
New Trailer

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/brand-new-trailer-for-rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-14121

i'm looking foward to the movie

its the first trailer they released i was a bit eh.

Mr. Rhythmic
Man, that latest trailer was amazing. Definitely ready to see what they pump out now.

Mr. Rhythmic
Great Ape, to be exact.

Imagine if we were Saiyans.
http://images.wikia.com/dragonball/images/2/2f/GohanGreatApeSaiyansSagaK01.png

You have no idea how awesome that would be.

...For a while, at least.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110313173005/dragonball/images/thumb/5/5e/FriezaSupernova2.png/505px-FriezaSupernova2.png

ADarksideJedi
I can see why they are making these movies but I only like the old first Planet of the Apes the new one I did not like nor did I like the other older ones after the first.

Robtard
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I can see why they are making these movies but I only like the old first Planet of the Apes the new one I did not like nor did I like the other older ones after the first.

Me too!

http://www.gloobts.com/site/images/stories/charlton_heston.jpg

*drools*

P.S. you can take his rifle now

0mega Spawn
I think the Mark Wahlberg POTA worldve been better without the cliffhanger

dadudemon
Me too!

http://www.gloobts.com/site/images/stories/charlton_heston.jpg

*drools*

P.S. you can take his rifle now

Dude had some big pecs. hmm

dadudemon
Imagine if we were Saiyans.
http://images.wikia.com/dragonball/images/2/2f/GohanGreatApeSaiyansSagaK01.png

You have no idea how awesome that would be.

...For a while, at least.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110313173005/dragonball/images/thumb/5/5e/FriezaSupernova2.png/505px-FriezaSupernova2.png

I would believe the storyline much much more if the apes could turn into great apes, that's definitely for sure. big grin

Bardock42
The title just sounds like a joke.

The Return of the Rise of the Revenge of the Planet of the Apes Reloaded.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
The title just sounds like a joke.

The Return of the Rise of the Revenge of the Planet of the Apes Reloaded.

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

You made a goofy joke, Marius. I'm very proud of you.

Patient_Leech
Hahaha... nice. Yeah, this looks hilarious. I can't wait to see it ironically with friends.

RE: Blaxican
Would someone like to explain to me how monkeys vs. men with guns somehow ends with the monkeys winning?

steverules_2
They shouldn't have locked the monkey away...

Kazenji
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Would someone like to explain to me how monkeys vs. men with guns somehow ends with the monkeys winning?

Well obvisouly Ceaser shows the apes what to do.

Mindset
Would someone like to explain to me how monkeys vs. men with guns somehow ends with the monkeys winning? Because monkeys can use guns and climb trees fast.

steverules_2
Well obvisouly Ceaser shows the apes what to do.

Ceasers the reason they get smart and go ape shit on the human race

I wonder how many sequels will follow...obviously by the end the apes will have won with the odd few humans surviving or being made into slaves

Kazenji
Originally posted by steverules_2

And most likey learn how to use guns.

steverules_2
Looked like they used spears during the trailer you posted but maybe eventually they get a hold of guns

ADarksideJedi
I am glad someone argeed with me. Speaking of the classic they are thinking of making it PG-13 instead of PG because of the butt part of the movie.

steverules_2
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I am glad someone argeed with me. Speaking of the classic they are thinking of making it PG-13 instead of PG because of the butt part of the movie.

Male or female?

Bardock42
Originally posted by steverules_2

I wonder how many sequels will follow...obviously by the end the apes will have won with the odd few humans surviving or being made into slaves

I have a feeling that will not be determined by the artistic necessities for the story but rather by the box office of the movie(s)

steverules_2
Originally posted by Bardock42
I have a feeling that will not be determined by the artistic necessities for the story but rather by the box office of the movie(s)

That would help towards a sequel

Mr. Rhythmic

Pretty sure the movie will explain it.

Kazenji
But people these days expect the trailer to reveal all.

ADarksideJedi
Male

steverules_2
Dammit

Kazenji
Female.

ADarksideJedi
I was not expecting it at all so it was a bit shocking for me the first time I saw it. and too bad! laughing

aanthonyfranks
sounds like they will be closer to the original story. It was quite a series bastard in the past and with the recent remake.

Omega Vision
Unless the ape population in that world is much, much larger than IRL there's no way apes would be able to overthrow humanity even if they had technological and organizational parity.

Humans outnumber all other great apes by what...a thousand to one?

marwash22
the apes are as intelligent as humans and have the element of surprise on their side. Add the fact that they would be able to understand humans but humans cant understand them, it's not THAT big of a stretch.

Also, humans may have the numbers, but half of those people are elderly or children so it evens out.

We live in a world where everyone has a cell phone and I can send a txt message in 4 seconds that will hit someone else's cellphone instantaneously.

Element of surprise? no expression LOL

Esau Cairn
We live in a world where everyone has a cell phone and I can send a txt message in 4 seconds that will hit someone else's cellphone instantaneously.

Element of surprise? no expression LOL

An ape flinging ka ka at you will beat yer speed dialling fingers any day!

marwash22

Element of surprise? no expression LOL you haven't given this much thought, have you.

An ape flinging ka ka at you will beat yer speed dialling fingers any day! Me maybe, but not the other 300 people on the street at the time. 313Originally posted by marwash22
you haven't given this much thought, have you. Sorry. I know, it's hard for you to remember what reality is like.

marwash22
you're in a thread for a movie about apes who take over the world...

Right. So... yes, it's a huge stretch for monkeys with human intelligence to beat humans with guns. The type of huge stretch that can only exist in a fictional movie.

I dunno. That was my point. Dunno why you were disagreeing. no expression

Omega Vision
Originally posted by marwash22
the apes are as intelligent as humans and have the element of surprise on their side. Add the fact that they would be able to understand humans but humans cant understand them, it's not THAT big of a stretch.

Also, humans may have the numbers, but half of those people are elderly or children so it evens out.
First off...element of surprise? That only matters if you can somehow take out your enemy's ability to retaliate in one motion.

Second off...even if half of the population is elderly and children that doesn't "even out" because that just means that instead of outnumbering apes 1000 to 1 we outnumber them 500 to 1.

We also have aircraft, tanks, poison gas, biological weapons, milennia of experience in warfare over them, and a well established military infrastructure.

Historically a vastly numerically and technologically inferior force can only defeat a more powerful force if it has a home field advantage or is being assisted by an external power. Neither are true here. Based on the trailer the apes somehow beat us in our own cities.

The Planet of the Apes uprising only works because its a movie...a dumb movie. You attempting to rationalize it is just hilarious.

I always thought that the inherent strangeness and farfetched nature of the premise of Planet of the Apes made it necessary for the genesis of such a world to be left vague. Did humanity suffer some kind of societal collapse leaving apes to evolve to fill their niche? Did anything happen other than apes somehow overthrowing humans?

inb4 "geeze its just a movie!"

Esau Cairn
Me maybe, but not the other 300 people on the street at the time.

Yeah but I bet those 300 other people aren't from SPARTA!!!

marwash22
Originally posted by Omega Vision
First off...element of surprise? That only matters if you can somehow take out your enemy's ability to retaliate in one motion.

Second off...even if half of the population is elderly and children that doesn't "even out" because that just means that instead of outnumbering apes 1000 to 1 we outnumber them 500 to 1.

We also have aircraft, tanks, poison gas, biological weapons, milennia of experience in warfare over them, and a well established military infrastructure.

Historically a vastly numerically and technologically inferior force can only defeat a more powerful force if it has a home field advantage or is being assisted by an external power. Neither are true here. Based on the trailer the apes somehow beat us in our own cities.

The Planet of the Apes uprising only works because its a movie...a dumb movie. You attempting to rationalize it is just hilarious.

I always thought that the inherent strangeness and farfetched nature of the premise of Planet of the Apes made it necessary for the genesis of such a world to be left vague. Did humanity suffer some kind of societal collapse leaving apes to evolve to fill their niche? Did anything happen other than apes somehow overthrowing humans?

what's even more hilarious is, 1) being over analytical in discussing a movie that you've already noted as being "dumb" and 2) using real world history as the basis of your argument when you have absolutely no facts to work with regarding the climate the movie takes place in. Seriously, you haven't even seen the movie to know exactly how intelligent or resourceful the apes are, or if they actually are aided by an outside source.

Not sure how you can be comfortable judging something with little to no facts in hand... that's pretty arrogant imo. It's also kinda weird that you're in a thread talking about a movie in a franchise you clearly have no interest in.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by marwash22
what's even more hilarious is, 1) being over analytical in discussing a movie that you've already noted as being "dumb" and 2) using real world history as the basis of your argument when you have absolutely no facts to work with regarding the climate the movie takes place in. Seriously, you haven't even seen the movie to know exactly how intelligent or resourceful the apes are, or if they actually are aided by an outside source.

Not sure how you can be comfortable judging something with little to no facts in hand... that's pretty arrogant imo. It's also kinda weird that you're in a thread talking about a movie in a franchise you clearly have no interest in.
Oh yes, the oh-so-artful 'jeez it's just a movie calm down' dodge because your argument has been defeated. C'mon son.

I've seen the original movie this is based on. As best I can tell that just showed a bunch of apes rising up and overthrowing humanity. Simple as that. Given how uncreative Hollywood is I can't see this movie deviating much.

Maybe, just maybe the filmmakers will find a way to make this semi-believable. It's not out of the realm of possibility...just very, very unlikely considering this seems to be another case of Hollywood just fishing out an old B Movie and saying 'Let's remake it!'

Patient_Leech
...Hollywood just fishing out an old B Movie and saying 'Let's remake it!'

I think labeling it a "B-movie" is extremely generous. I'd say, C or D movie is probably more accurate! Haha... the trailer I just saw on TV for this looks hilarious.. I can't wait! laughing laughing

MikeBrolly
as for as concern the movie awesome but in apes can't hold on mankind because God has created mankind the best creation in the universe, so its not possible that anyone can hold on mankind, they can create only problems which can be handled.

Kazenji
Pretty good movie for a prequel and it has a few nods to the original movie

4/5

dadudemon
Pretty good movie for a prequel and it has a few nods to the original movie

4/5

Don't tell me the plot, but do they at LEAST make it believable that apes really could take over? Please tell me it's believable. :"(

Kazenji
Yes they do make it believable

and as for some previous posts in this thread people with Guns----->Apes, well us human folk in the movie do manage to kill some of them.

Darth Vicious
Just watched it. Pretty good movie. Awesome job by Andy Serkis. To those that watched it, There were references/nods to the original, Any I missed? There were

Cornelias
"Get your hands off of me..."
Ikarus space launch, then lost in space
"Statue of Liberty Caesar was playing with"

Impediment
Andy Serkis was Caesar? Thats makes sense. Serkis was the motion actor for King Kong.

Korto Vos
I just came back home after watching the movie in the theaters.

Believe me, it's actually really well-made. Andy Serkis acted beautifully. Compared to the other Action/Adventure movies I have watched this summer, including X-Men: First Class, Harry Potter 7.2, Cowboys and Aliens, and Transformers: Dark of the Moon, it was the best. Quite entertaining.

Yes, there are nonsensical parts, but Caesar's evolution was engrossing enough that you can rationalize them and easily see past them. The human characters aren't as developed, but really, this movie is about Caesar and the "rise of the...apes."

spike2011
It is not on cinema yet in my country.

But I have watch it from online source already! It is fantastic! If you guy want to give t try! I will post the link here!

On that website, there are quite a lot of free movies, the service is very good. If the movies you want is not there, you can request it and you will get the movie in one hour or two.

I think I am not allowed to post links yet. But you can see at my signature! Hope it entertains you!

Enjoy!

spike2011
post removed for spam

I-Drop
Damn good movie about damn dirty apes

Kazenji
Originally posted by Korto Vos
Yes, there are nonsensical parts,

Such as?

Korto Vos
Such as?

* The orangutan knowing 'sign
* The zoo apes not receiving the drug, but still following Caesar's commands. Though they might just be following the other apes.
* The fact nobody calls Animal Control or police about a neighbor raising a chimpanzee in his house for years

However, I felt all of these parts added, rather than detracted from the film. With a movie about apes destined to control the planet over mankind, there needs to be some suspense of belief.

It was still a very entertaining and engrossing motion picture.

Kazenji
The other apes did receive the drug don't you remember when Ceaser got them other bottles of the new drug and cut a knife through them and the gas got sprayed everwhere in the zoo pens

Korto Vos
The other apes did receive the drug don't you remember when Ceaser got them other bottles of the new drug and cut a knife through them and the gas got sprayed everwhere in the zoo pens

Right, but those bottles were sprayed in the monkey facility. I'm talking about after they all break out, they crash the San Francisco zoo, and release the primates there. I don't remember any of the drug being given then. But who cares, really?

nickyoung
nice trailer and I have not seen this movie yet...

super pr*xy
the movie didn't say wether or not the zoo apes did in fact join the "treated" apes being led by ceasar.. by default, the movie goer will assume that the zoo apes did becuase they were set free by the treated apes.. but it could be that the zoo apes just booked it into a thousand different directions.. who knows.. maybe its a longshot and an overanalysis, whatever.. 2 cents..

Mr. Rhythmic
Just saw the film, and I really enjoyed it. I loved the characters, especially Caesar, and I felt that everything but two minor details were beyond fantastic.
First, the invasion makes part sense by the disease, but still, the army exists. If they make a sequel, I want it to be more on the actual invasion.
Second, the very ending didn't make much sense to me. Was Franco giving Caesar his blessing to take over?

But besides those two minor details, I give this movie a 9/10. Brilliant, brilliant film, and I really want some sequels.

Robtard
There doesn't have to be an invasion, the virus will wipe out 98+% of mankind and over the centuries the apes will rise to power, becoming more and more intelligent as they evolve and possibly the virus mutates accelerating the ape-factor greater and greater.

No, Franco understood that he needed to be free; he was no pet.

Esau Cairn
I totally enjoyed the movie & a suspension of disbelief is what makes the film work on so many levels.

I just found it amusing that if you have an unwanted pet dog or cat, you take it to the dog pound or animal shelter....I never realised that America has so many pet apes & primates that a sanctuary is needed to house the unwanted ones!

Korto Vos
Franco realized he had to belong with his own kind.

I'm really glad this movie has received positive audience feedback. When the trailers first came out, everybody was laughing at how silly it would seem. But it clearly defied expectations.

thanos-prime
Thought the movie would be good but it is much better than i expected one of the best movies i have seen all year.

Esau Cairn
Yeah I saw Rise/Apes & Captain America 2 days apart & I was far more impressed & entertained by Apes.

thanos-prime
Just saw cap not 10 minutes ago not bad at all not nearly as good as Apes imo.

Kazenji
The director shares his ideas for the next installment

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=43930

Full Metal Jacket with apes??

Korto Vos
Haha yeah, I read that. I can't imagine how that would work out, but I faith as long as they stick with what made this film successful.

What did all of you think was the best line from the movie?

Mr. Rhythmic
There doesn't have to be an invasion, the virus will wipe out 98+% of mankind and over the centuries the apes will rise to power, becoming more and more intelligent as they evolve and possibly the virus mutates accelerating the ape-factor greater and greater.

I guess, but that will take a while won't it? I guess I just felt like it was leading up to more of an invasion than just progress.

So then did he have no clue what was going on?

srankmissingnin
For me this is one of the surprise stand outs of the summer. It's odd but two of the movies I wasn't expect much from this summer (this and Super 8), I ended up enjoying the most.

I didn't have a lot of faith they would be able to pull off a movie where the main character, and focus of nearly all the character development is a computer generated ape, but wow they did it in spades. Andy Serkis needs an oscar for this performance, because it is astoundingly good. There are some really powerful scenes in this movie, and James Franco and John Lithgow anchor the film nicely with some great performances. A really heart breaking, poignant and yet ultimately up lifting story, that tested the limits of my manliness. I almost shed some man tear for those damn dirty apes. Only complaints I have are Malfoy and his cartoon villainy, and Freida Pinto was kinda crow bared in without much to do, the movie might have worked a bit better without her or a love story at all. The only purpose she served was to say "Dude, you should be scared of chimps..." and to be face meltingly hot.

Myth
Originally posted by super pr*xy
the movie didn't say wether or not the zoo apes did in fact join the "treated" apes being led by ceasar.. by default, the movie goer will assume that the zoo apes did becuase they were set free by the treated apes.. but it could be that the zoo apes just booked it into a thousand different directions.. who knows.. maybe its a longshot and an overanalysis, whatever.. 2 cents..

I know some had to join, because there were multiple orangutans in the forest with them.

I really loved the movie. I think it is my 2nd fav movie of the summer behind X-men. Though I have one question: How did the gorilla get smart? He seemed to be in a separate location than the chimps, so he wasn't exposed to the gas that makes them smart.

Korto Vos
Originally posted by Myth
I know some had to join, because there were multiple orangutans in the forest with them.

I really loved the movie. I think it is my 2nd fav movie of the summer behind X-men. Though I have one question: How did the gorilla get smart? He seemed to be in a separate location than the chimps, so he wasn't exposed to the gas that makes them smart.

Haha yeah, some things aren't really explained. Perhaps Caesar exposed him to it in a scene that we don't see. Or perhaps they want to show the evolution happening on screen -that this gorilla, much more powerful than Caesar but perceiving his importance to the rest of the apes, is willing to sacrifice himself for the sake of the leader. He is portrayed as brutal and savage in the beginning, but becomes more human than the people on the helicopter.

And ROTPOTA was definitely better than First Class. First Class was my second favorite, though.

And Pinto had to be in the movie because a side love story and additional star power attracts crowds. That was her only role; therefore, she had no character development, thereby actually hurting the movie in a slight way.

Myth
Oh yes, the oh-so-artful 'jeez it's just a movie calm down' dodge because your argument has been defeated. C'mon son.

I've seen the original movie this is based on. As best I can tell that just showed a bunch of apes rising up and overthrowing humanity. Simple as that. Given how uncreative Hollywood is I can't see this movie deviating much.

Maybe, just maybe the filmmakers will find a way to make this semi-believable. It's not out of the realm of possibility...just very, very unlikely considering this seems to be another case of Hollywood just fishing out an old B Movie and saying 'Let's remake it!'

These posts make me laugh because his argument is that the apes overthrow the humans and that doesn't really happen. The apes just escape to the forest and the humans die of disease. Its not 300 apes overthrowing humanity as this guy was arguing.

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Just watched it. Pretty good movie. Awesome job by Andy Serkis. To those that watched it, There were references/nods to the original, Any I missed? There were

Cornelias
"Get your hands off of me..."
Ikarus space launch, then lost in space
"Statue of Liberty Caesar was playing with"

I loved the "get your hands off of me" part because it parallels the original so well in that it was a shock to the humans that Caesar spoke just as it was a shock to the apes that the human spoke in the original during the scene with that line.

I also think the beginning of the movie was an homage to the original where the apes were being hunted and captured just as humans were being hunted and captured in the beginning of the original.

Myth
Btw, the coolest shot in the film was when all the leaves were falling out of the trees. That was way more effective than showing the apes jumping from tree to tree. Props to this director. I hope he has a good career.

Mr. Rhythmic
I'll definitely say that it's only behind "Captain America" as my favorite movie this summer, and when I say 'behind,' I may mean 'tied.'
Caesar was one hell of a character, and every performance was top notch. This felt like a character study beyond anything else.

Robtard
I guess, but that will take a while won't it? I guess I just felt like it was leading up to more of an invasion than just progress.

So then did he have no clue what was going on?

I'd imagine they're going to jump into the future in the next film, as I can't see apes taking out a modern army; I don't care how smart they are.

I don't think he was seeing that far into the future.

Esau Cairn
I'd imagine they're going to jump into the future in the next film, as I can't see apes taking out a modern army; I don't care how smart they are.

I don't think he was seeing that far into the future.

The end of the movie hints that it's the virus that more or less wipes out humanity...not so much a military battle against the apes.

But yeah I'm imagining apes learning to fly planes & repopulating the world. wink

Patient_Leech
I haven't seen this yet, but I just finished reading Michael Crichton's Congo. Great book. That should be the prequel to Planet of the Apes, lol... (Haven't watched Congo the movie yet, will soon.. I think i saw it long ago and it was pretty bad, heh...)

jinXed by JaNx
yea congo is definitely balls. lol

Kazenji
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I haven't seen this yet, but I just finished reading Michael Crichton's Congo. Great book. That should be the prequel to Planet of the Apes, lol... (Haven't watched Congo the movie yet, will soon.. I think i saw it long ago and it was pretty bad, heh...)

But alas its not since Planet Of The Apes was based on a novel from a French guy.

Kazenji
Original Ending Had James Franco's Character Killed Off

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=47486

vladereign
so whats next monkeys in the jungle and then they mate, after that? what? they conquer earth?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by vladereign
so whats next monkeys in the jungle and then they mate, after that? what? they conquer earth?

Did you actually watch the movie OR pay close attention to the ending?

"Conquer" isn't really the right term if the virus wipes out the human race...

The Nuul
Good movie, I love the creepy tone behind the story. I also love the pace of the story, it wasnt rushed or boring. Good character progression.

Well done.

8/10

Robtard
Originally posted by vladereign

There's a 'train to be elite guerrilla gorilla fighters' in the middle; that's what the next movie will focus on. Ape Commandos.

Esau Cairn
There's a 'train to be elite guerrilla gorilla fighters' in the middle; that's what the next movie will focus on. Ape Commandos.

I heard the training montage is to Queen's, "We Are The Champions." Happy Dance

Robtard
I heard the training montage is to Queen's, "We Are The Champions." Happy Dance

Sir, I think we have the makings for the perfect script.

Esau Cairn
A perfect script NEEDS monkeys slinging their faeces....in 3D.

Oh what glorious toy merchandise that would be...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>