Batman: Year One

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
Didn't see a thread for this, so if there is one, apologies.

Heat Vision reports that Bryan Cranston, Ben McKenzie, Eliza Dushku and Katee Sackhoff will provide their voices for Batman: Year One, the animated adaptation of the Frank Miller classic from Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation. Lauren Montgomery and Sam Liu are directing from a script by Tab Murphy. The trade describes the film as follows:

In Year One, a young Bruce Wayne is first starting out as a costumed vigilante. He creates an early bond with Lieutenant James Gordon, whose importance in the tale makes it as much as Gordon's story as Wayne's.

Cranston is playing Gordon, while McKenzie is Wayne/Batman. Dushku voices Catwoman, while Sackhoff is Detective Sarah Essen, a Gordon love interest.

Additionally, Alex Rocco lends his pipes as crime lord Carmine Falcone.

Batman: Year One will be rated PG-13 and hits home video in the fall, but the world premiere will be at Comic-Con in July.

Link (with pics): http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/166067-voice-cast-for-batman-year-one-announced

Placidity
I was really hoping for Kevin Conroy. He is the only one for me. But apparently I read whoever is doing Wayne in Year One is pretty decent, so lets wait and see.

Dushku as Catwoman? Dunno, but shes hot so I guess thats good. And yes, it does make a difference because I always picture the voice actor in my head =p

Overall, sounds exciting.

roughrider
I wonder how the look of the animation will be. David Mazzuchelli's art on Year One was very moody, very real - like Tim Sale but with less caricature. And the content should warrant a pg-13 rating.

Still one of Frank Miller's best stories - and this was in the same year he had The Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil: Born Again and Love & War, plus Elektra: Assassin. He and Alan Moore owned the comics industry that year (1986)

roughrider
Here are a couple of advance images.

http://www.animationmagazine.net/home_entertainment/casting-info-first-look-at-dcus-batman-year-one/

srankmissingnin
If Gray Oldman wasn't perfect casting, Bryan Cranston would make a pretty stellar Commissioner Gorden I think.

-Pr-
I honestly think Conroy wouldn't have fit this role, and I like McKenzie in Southland (which is an excellent programme imo). I think he'll do fine.

BruceSkywalker
i will be buying this

-Pr-
New clip:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperHeroTooniverse/news/?a=47636&t=BATMAN_YEAR_ONE_Second_Clip_is_Released

jinXed by JaNx
looks aces cant wait

-Pr-
Just watched this. Good, solid Batman movie, and while there were a few things that didn't sit right with me, I still enjoyed it.

And the scene where Gordon interviews Bruce made me laugh out loud.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by -Pr-
Just watched this. Good, solid Batman movie, and while there were a few things that didn't sit right with me, I still enjoyed it.

And the scene where Gordon interviews Bruce made me laugh out loud.

It was a lame Batman movie, but a awesome James Gordon movie. cool

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
It was a lame Batman movie, but a awesome James Gordon movie. cool
I think that's too far but if someone's looking for a pure Batman experience, this isn't it. Still, I really liked.

Did anyone watch the Catwoman short? Anne Hathaway doesn't have the body for Selina.

srankmissingnin
Batman was an ancillary character in his own movie. We get a better picture of who Gorgon is as a character and his motivations then we do Batman, and frankly Gordon has cooler scenes then Batman does. That scene where Gordon was going to fight Flask with a baseball bat and then his narration says "It's been a long time since I had to fight a Green Beret... still he'll need an advantage," and he throws the much younger and bigger guy the baseball bat and the proceeds to tool him anyway was more badass then anything Batman did in the movie.

I thought it was a sweet movie, it just wasn't a good Batman movie.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Fair enough.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I think that's too far but if someone's looking for a pure Batman experience, this isn't it. Still, I really liked.

Did anyone watch the Catwoman short? Anne Hathaway doesn't have the body for Selina.

i could have told you that lol

Batman was an ancillary character in his own movie. We get a better picture of who Gorgon is as a character and his motivations then we do Batman, and frankly Gordon has cooler scenes then Batman does. That scene where Gordon was going to fight Flask with a baseball bat and then his narration says "It's been a long time since I had to fight a Green Beret... still he'll need an advantage," and he throws the much younger and bigger guy the baseball bat and the proceeds to tool him anyway was more badass then anything Batman did in the movie.

Hence the "not sit right with me" part. I still enjoyed the movie though.

JakeTheBank
I actually liked that the story was more about Jim Gordon, tbh.

Batman's appearances were limited, and as such, held more of an impact and meaning. It's an interesting take on a Batman movie, and overall, does a solid job condensing Miller's work in a 60+ minute film.

-Pr-
Speaking of which, how close was it to the original comic?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by -Pr-
Speaking of which, how close was it to the original comic?

Fairly accurate, actually. Probably the most accurate of an adaptation from DC animated films yet.

I'd love to see Long Halloween done.

roughrider

Did you read Batman: Year One? It seems they are just being faithful to the text. It's likely the best Jim Gordon story ever.

-Pr-
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Fairly accurate, actually. Probably the most accurate of an adaptation from DC animated films yet.

I'd love to see Long Halloween done.

Ah, cool.

Also, best. short. evar.

Seriously though, I liked it a lot. They got the tone right, and the action scenes were really well done imo.

jinXed by JaNx
Easily one of if not the best animated comic flick to date. I never tead the miller comic of year one but i appreciated how the story focused heavily around, both, batman and gordan. Marvel may be beating DC in the film wars but DC is in another league when it comes to animation.

Dreampanther
Batman: "I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you."

That was a pretty cool Batman moment. I actually liked the whole Mickey Spillane feel, I thought the film was very close to the atmosphere Frank Miller created originally in the comic book.

Stoic
Great movie. Now if only they can make one that's completely 3D CG.

steverules_2
I want to see long halloween done next

ankur29
awesome animated movie 10/10

i liked how Gordon was shown to be a capable cop, he was handing people their ass left right and centre.

Hoping for long Halloween as well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.