My Cat is acting weird...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Utsukushii
Just so you know, I know I have to take her to the vet, but I have to wait until after work. I'm just trying to figure out different reasons for her behavior.

So I have a 6 year old Tabby Cat named Jaime. I love her to death.

I took her to the last Saturday because she was hiding and not going pee. The vet gave her an antibiotic shot and did a Urinalysis. Turns out she had a UTI (urinary tract infection).

Monday and Tuesday she was acting normal again. Eating regularly, coming out and playing, and using her litter box.

Well then Tuesday night she started acting odd again. She went into a closet and stayed there for over 13 hours (and she was forced to move then).

She ate very little yesterday, and today shes actually laying in her litter box.

Has any cat owners had this happen to their cats? What did the vet say?

I'm just really worried.... sad

Robtard
Probably has a bigger infection than first diagnosed. I'm sure they'll look further into it when you take her back.

Utsukushii
Originally posted by Robtard
Probably has a bigger infection than first diagnosed. I'm sure they'll look further into it when you take her back.

That's what my mum thought, but you'd think a Urinalysis would've told them the extent of the infection.

Utsukushii
So I took Jaime to the vet. She had an extremely high fever. They did an x ray of her bladder (looking for stones) and a blood test. They found no stones and the test results wont be back until this evening.

They want to keep her overnight to observe her....I'm worried that I'm going to have to make a difficult decision today...

dadudemon
Is she old? 15+ years?

Utsukushii
No she's only 6

Utsukushii
Just talked to the vet tech again. Results in about 1 1/2-2 hours. But her temperature last night was 106 (102.5 I was told was the norm), today its 105. They said she still hasn't eaten anything. She's on a fluid IV.

I'm so worried sad

Robtard
Was she having unprotected sex and/or fought with another cat recently? Have them test for FIV(Feline AIDS) and FeLV (Feline Leukemia) if so.

Both can be treated if caught early, iirc.

Utsukushii
Nope. She's strictly indoor. Never been outside and I don't own any other cats....I don't know what is happening. Another hour and I'm calling for results. I'm almost scared to hear what they have to say...

Robtard
Originally posted by Utsukushii
Nope. She's strictly indoor. Never been outside and I don't own any other cats....I don't know what is happening. Another hour and I'm calling for results. I'm almost scared to hear what they have to say...

Probably just an infection, I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, worry about the bill, each time they open your cats mouth or stick a thermometer up her bum, it's $$$ adding up.

Utsukushii
I know. It cost 532$ last night.

dadudemon
I know. It cost 532$ last night.

But, if you're like your cats the way I am...your cats are worth every penny.

I consider my cats "tier 2" children.

What are the results?

Utsukushii
Originally posted by dadudemon
But, if you're like your cats the way I am...your cats are worth every penny.

I consider my cats "tier 2" children.

What are the results?

She is my baby.

She had to stay in the hospital again last night.

Her red blood cell count and her platelet count are low. The doctors think she has something called haemobartonella which can be treatable if caught early. The have to do a test to see if that's what she has.

They gave her a steroid shot last night and her fever broke. Now they're making sure that the fever stays down and they get a couple doses of medicine in her and then she'll be coming home Happy Dance

Utsukushii
News now:

Her medicine won't be ready until Monday evening (coincidentally that's when her blood test comes in), so I'll probably take her home tonight (she's not eating at the hospital and the vet thinks it's because she's there), and then have to take her back to the vet in the morning and evening tomorrow.

I'm hoping to leave her there Sunday night so they can give her her morning Monday dose while I'm at work and then I'll pick her and her medicine, and find out the results all Monday evening....all I (and the vet) can say is, Thank Christ I don't have a dog. I guess it's twice as much as a cat for boarding and medicine.

Impediment
I has a cat, too.

Isaac Newton.

Kelly_Bean
edit.

Utsukushii
*sigh* What a horrific weekend.

I went and picked Jaime up. And she was panting heavily. Doctor said it was probably stressed. I brought her home. I felt like I was carrying a stuffed animal; she wouldn't move, Just continued to pant. I laid her down. She tried to walk and then collapsed and let loose the loudest, most painful scream.

I rushed her back to the vet. Her red blood cell count had dropped. She ended up having to get a blood transfusion. She's doing a little better now. Still at the hospital, in the oxygen cage. We get results on one of the tests today.

My Baby vvvv

Lord Shadow Z
*sigh* What a horrific weekend.

I went and picked Jaime up. And she was panting heavily. Doctor said it was probably stressed. I brought her home. I felt like I was carrying a stuffed animal; she wouldn't move, Just continued to pant. I laid her down. She tried to walk and then collapsed and let loose the loudest, most painful scream.

I rushed her back to the vet. Her red blood cell count had dropped. She ended up having to get a blood transfusion. She's doing a little better now. Still at the hospital, in the oxygen cage. We get results on one of the tests today.

My Baby vvvv

I hope everything is all right with your cat, I know from experience how stressed you can get when they get ill. Ours was about 19 years old when she developed problems back in 2009. She went missing for four days and when we got her back she was having seizures and convulsions. Unfortunately we had to have her put to sleep because we (the family) couldn't bear to put her through that.

Here she is, her name was Kitty;

Utsukushii
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
I hope everything is all right with your cat, I know from experience how stressed you can get when they get ill. Ours was about 19 years old when she developed problems back in 2009. She went missing for four days and when we got her back she was having seizures and convulsions. Unfortunately we had to have her put to sleep because we (the family) couldn't bear to put her through that.

Here she is, her name was Kitty;

That's what I'm waiting for them to tell me. I am terrified that I won't be able to put her to sleep....I don't want that.

Utsukushii
Just got news from the vet. Jaime is too ill. Their only reccomendation, put her to sleep. I gave the go ahead. I feel like my heart is broken. I can't breathe. I feel like, I just gave the go ahead to kill my best friend....

Robtard
Just got news from the vet. Jaime is too ill. Their only reccomendation, put her to sleep. I gave the go ahead. I feel like my heart is broken. I can't breathe. I feel like, I just gave the go ahead to kill my best friend....

Sorry to hear that.

AbnormalButSane
Very sorry sad

Utsukushii
RIP Jaime girl
11/04-4/11
I love you so much. You were my best friend and even though your ending has been hard on me. I wouldn't trade the time we've had for anything. I will miss coming down the stairs in the morning and hearing your bell jingling and you plopping in front of the door, demanding love before I went to work.

I know you're better off, and you're in a better place. I know that, unlike me, you weren't scared, and you were okay with what was happening. All I wanted was to save you, I couldn't, and I'm sorry. I just hope that you know that I loved you and I gave you everything I could.

I picked you instead of your sister because, when I reached my hand in the cage, you practically leapt into it. I remember pleading with my parents to let me have you. And even though your life was cut dramatically short, I'm still glad I chose you, and if I had to relive this pain a thousand times, I would, just so I could relive those happy memories with you a thousand times as well.

I love you Jaime Girl.

Naz
I'm so sorry sad

Utsukushii
Its ok sad

I'm very sad, but in someways relieved. She's no longer suffering.

Lord Shadow Z

I'm sorry to hear that, I know it's not easy and it's exactly the same thing I was thinking when me and my dad were with Kitty at the end.

But in the end, when we'd exhausted all the treatment she had from the vet and still didn't get better we knew we had to help her and thats the way you've got to see it.

Utsukushii
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
I'm sorry to hear that, I know it's not easy and it's exactly the same thing I was thinking when me and my dad were with Kitty at the end.

But in the end, when we'd exhausted all the treatment she had from the vet and still didn't get better we knew we had to help her and thats the way you've got to see it.

I do...to an extent. Its just hard. She was my only pet. So it's weird not going home and caring for her anymore. I'm a nurturing person and I need to care for something.

It kills me that I lost my best friend.

immaturerainbow
I'm sorry for your loss.

Lord Shadow Z
I do...to an extent. Its just hard. She was my only pet. So it's weird not going home and caring for her anymore. I'm a nurturing person and I need to care for something.

It kills me that I lost my best friend.

I understand, it hurts like hell and we all experienced days of listlessness because we didn't have anything to care for, or any purpose anymore. Even now, two years after she left us we all still think about her, talk about her and I know it sounds cliched but it helps to do that.

You should blame the illness she had, not yourself, for it was that that forced you and the vet to act. The fact that you went through with it shows everyone you cared deeply about her and her quality of life. It also shows you were not selfish in keeping her in the torment she was in just to hold on to her.

I don't mean to intrude anymore but this is a poem we received from the cremation service on a card, I thought it might help:

Forget me not, for we must say goodbye
Keep me in your heart, and I will never die
The long road ahead may seem very tough
But sure, happy memories are more than enough

Spread my ashes through soul and mind
For my spirit will live on in hearts of those I find
Do not stand beside me and fully weep,
Even though the loss may feel very deep

Take comfort in knowing that I loved you
A love we shared, a love that grew
So do not forget me, our love has no end
I'm glad we met, my one true friend.

Hope it helps smile

Utsukushii
That poem was beautiful. I'm crying now thanks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.