Novel on Revan under way

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

S_W_LeGenD
Author Drew Karpyshyn Talks Revan Novel

Star Wars: The Old Republic is continuing to expand beyond the core game and into novels and comics. Del Rey Books has already published two novels in the Old Republic timeline, Fatal Alliance and Deceived, and last year announced that a third Old Republic novel was to be written by Drew Karpyshyn, Principal Writer at BioWare, and author of the Darth Bane series of Star Wars novels.

Now the name of that novel can be revealed: Revan. As well as exploring what happened to Revan after Knights of the Old Republic, in this novel readers will learn who the Sith Emperor is in the time of the Old Republic, where they came from and how they have held onto power for so long.

Read on for an interview with Drew Karpyshyn on Revan.

http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/revan/revan_bg.jpg

How does it feel to finally reveal that the title of your latest Star Wars book is Revan?

I'd like to start by saying how gratifying it was to work on this book. Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) was my first creative foray into the Star Wars universe, so writing Revan felt a little bit like I was returning to my roots. I also know a lot of fans have been patiently waiting a long time to find out what happened to Revan after KOTOR -- it's probably the number one question I'm asked on my website. I'm glad the story is finally being told, and I'm ecstatic that I'm the one who gets to tell it.

The book is months away, but can you say how much of Revan will be revealed?

We called the book Revan because this is his story; he is the main character, and readers are going to see much of this book through his point of view. There are other characters, of course - some old and some new - but Revan is the primary protagonist.

How much of this is material that had been developed earlier for KOTOR? Was Revan fleshed out at that point, or was he always a sort of a cipher to be filled in later?

Anyone familiar with the KOTOR games knows that we walked a delicate line with Revan: the legend and reputation of this great Jedi-turned-Sith were well established, but players were also able to define many aspects of the character as they played.

Obviously this wouldn't have worked for a book with Revan as the main character, so I decided to focus on certain universally established elements from the KOTOR games while also reinforcing previously established canon from the greater Star Wars universe, such as Revan being male and choosing the light side/redemption ending of the game.

However, by coloring in these details I was also able to delve much deeper into the character than we did when Revan was the "blank slate" of the games. It was a difficult decision, but I feel the payoff was worth it. Fans want to know what happened to Revan after KOTOR, and now they'll finally get to see that story.

What other characters from Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II might we expect to see?

You can't tell a story about Revan without also exploring his companions; they were such a key element of the KOTOR experience that it wouldn't feel right without bringing some of them back. Of course it would be impossible to include all of them in a novel in a way that would make a cohesive and fulfilling story, so I focused on those who felt most directly relevant to what happened to Revan after the KOTOR games. I don't want to give too much away, but Canderous, T3-M4, the Exile and Bastila Shan all have significant roles to play in the novel (along with some significant characters who appear in Star Wars: The Old Republic).

How much time do the events of Revan span? And where does it sit in relation to the other Star Wars: The Old Republic novels?

The story picks up right after the end of the first Knights of the Old Republic and continues through and beyond KOTOR II -- a span of roughly five years. There are allusions to the events of KOTOR II, but my focus was on the story taking place before, between and after the games -- I didn't want to rehash a story fans already knew.

Because we're set in the same time period as the KOTOR games, we're roughly 300 years earlier than the other The Old Republic novels... though the events of this book have a major impact on shaping The Old Republic universe.

How has working at BioWare influenced your writing of Star Wars fiction?

For starters, it's easier for me to make the connections between the book and the game. Instead of trying to work from a twenty-page summary, I have the advantage of knowing the intimate details of the hundreds of hours of story we've created. I know the feel and flavor of the universe, and I know the subtle nuances in the game that I can call out, tease and play off.

Similarly, being the lead writer on KOTOR has given me a deep understanding of Revan and other KOTOR characters. I was thinking about all this years before the original KOTOR ever released, so it's fair to say I've spent more time with the canonical Revan than anyone else. I never knew for sure if we'd continue his story, but it was always in the back of mind, just waiting for the opportunity.

In what ways will readers who have read Revan benefit when playing Star Wars: The Old Republic?

I think the novel will give them a much better understanding of the Sith Emperor and the Empire, for one thing. The Old Republic Sith Empire is very different from what people know from the movies, or even from the Great Hyperspace War comics that focus on characters like Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh.

The novel will also give them some very direct background and detailed information that ties in directly with key Flashpoints in the game. I can't say too much, of course, but like any great prequel the books will give you the details of what came before to add an extra layer of depth to the experiences in the game.

Readers know you from your bestselling Darth Bane books. Might Bane fans see things they recognize from that trilogy, even though this is set much earlier than those books?

I didn't make a lot of direct references to Bane or his time period; after all, Revan is almost three thousand years removed. And I like to think that both Revan and Bane have stories that can stand on their own. However, I think fans will recognize the complex way I approach both the light and dark side. I would never want to meld them into a shade of gray - that isn't what Star Wars is about. But Revan walked both paths, and he came to understand there were positives and negatives to both sides of the Force. That theme ripples through the novel and the characters in the same way that I tried to have Bane's story be a reexamination of the dark side in a way that most Star Wars fans hadn't experienced before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revan will go on sale worldwide later this year from Del Rey Books. For more on Star Wars: The Old Republic, visit the official site here.

Slash_KMC
Old news.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
Old news.
Deserves a dedicated thread.

Nephthys
Agreed. Don't hate the messenger. Even if he is a wee bit late.

Stealth Moose
Praise Allah! Revan is come!

Pwned
I actually did not know about this, but I know its the book that I will buy.

Dr McBeefington
Jizzed again.

truejedi
it'll be nice to finally be able to get a handle on Revan's abilities.

Black bolt z
When the book supposed to be out?

Lord Lucien
"I think fans will recognize the complex way I approach both the light and dark side."

Indeed. I remember how complex KotOR and Bane's approach to the Force was. Effin deep, man. I tell ya.

truejedi
You either give the lady an item worth thousands of credits, or you kill her... there no in-between...

Lord Lucien
You either steal the Wraid skull plate, give her half the amount it's worth, the exact amount it's worth, or an extra 50% of what it's worth.

Two are "dark", two are "light".

F*cking. Complex. Shit. I'm serious. That side quest had me pondering.

Slash_KMC
You either join Bastila and kill the Jedi or you attack Bastila. This way, every single thing you've done in the game that would push you towards the DS or the LS just vanishes into nothingness. COMPLEX.

Allah
You unfaithful carpet sniffer, you're supposed to worship ME, your one and ONLY god and not some fictional character known as Revan. You are a disgrace to my creations!

I will show no mercy you fatso .

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r32/nadd_9/911.jpg

ALLAH ACKBAR ALLAH ALLAH ALLAH!

Juz kidding brah but happy masturbating to Drew and Revan since you got you're precious fanwank novel

Dr McBeefington
You're dumb.

Slash_KMC
This is why REX should've made me a mod, so I could ban idiots like these.

Allah
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
You're dumb. No dumber than the people like you who debate about STAR WARS on an INTERNET forum and get cussy when your favourite character loses a fight or when somebody gets the "(starwars)facts" wrong.

Lolololol

Allah
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
This is why REX should've made me a mod, so I could ban idiots like these. The only idiots are people like yourself for 1 sole reason : Arguing about star wars on an internet forum. Its the internet brah, even if you win an argument you're still a retard muahahahahahaa.

Typical KMC poster:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r32/nadd_9/geek.jpg

Btw im god so i sprayed my cum spunk all over your mommas sagging **** that touched the floor MUAHAHAHAHAA FAP FAP FAP

Lucius
I'm sensing someone is pissed because he missed out on his chance to snag 72 virgins.

Allah
Originally posted by Lucius
I'm sensing someone is pissed because he missed out on his chance to snag 72 virgins. No worries my prophet, when i suicide blow up the KMC forums, ill have my 72 virgins in heaven.

ALLAH ALLAH ALLAH ALLAH ALLAH

Dr McBeefington
So you take time out of your antisocial life to come to a star wars forum and make fun of the people for arguing about star wars? I'm guessing intelligence doesn't run in your family .

Slash_KMC
DS, please don't feed the troll. They're like dogs, if you ignore them enough, they'll just go away.

Stealth Moose
That was unexpected.

Allankles
I get the feeling this novel is coming a few years too late. We're not getting the Kotor 3 we hoped for, and our beloved characters are taking a back seat to this Palpatine rip off and his empire, in an MMO no less.

As a set up for Kotor 3 this novel would've meant big bucks for Lucasarts, regardless of the quality of the writing or story telling.

Nutsack 2.0
So you take time out of your antisocial life to come to a star wars forum and make fun of the people for arguing about star wars? I'm guessing intelligence doesn't run in your family . Oh the irony laughing

Let me rephrase : So you take time out of your antisocial life to come to a star wars forum to argue about star wars? I'm guessing being sociable and having a life doesn't run in your family

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Nutsack 2.0
Oh the irony laughing

Let me rephrase : So you take time out of your antisocial life to come to a star wars forum to argue about star wars? I'm guessing being sociable and having a life doesn't run in your family

Being sociable and having a life aren't the same thing. You'd know that if you didn't spend your time coming here insulting people to overcompensate the failures of your life. big grin

Nutsack 2.0
Being sociable and having a life aren't the same thing.
Neither of which you have big grin

You'd know that if you didn't spend your time coming here insulting people to overcompensate the failures of your life. big grin Spend my time coming here? I've only came here twice or thrice. As for you? You've been debating here since 05 which has been 6 years. Omg look at the irony lololololol.

Dr McBeefington
Neither of which you have big grin

Spend my time coming here? I've only came here twice or thrice. As for you? You've been debating here since 05 which has been 6 years. Omg look at the irony lololololol.

Irony? I do not think it means what you think it meanssmile

Nutsack 2.0
Irony? I do not think it means what you think it meanssmile Oh but i do. Owned big grin

Dr McBeefington
Oh but i do. Owned big grin

http://wba.theoffside.com/files/2010/03/Denial.png

stick out tongue

Nephthys
Why don't we just compromise and admit that you're both equally lame?

Slash_KMC
Comp...rooo...miiice?

I don't think anyone on this forum knows that word.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.