Link vs Lich King

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kix
The conditions for the fight are as such;
LK is a boss for Link with an added touch
How far must he progress before he can stand a chance?
That is to say what items does he need to dance this dance
Or is he dead meat no matter from which items him enhance

Fun food for thought
Remember the rules taught
No flaming, or wicked naming
Just on some fun debate, be aiming!

TheAuraAngel
Well, at least I'll have something to watch for a bit now.

Hoping Scenario enters the fray.
His rhyming skills will brighten your day.
For making a Link thread you must pay.
Oh, and don't mention lightning. That shit is...laem.

NemeBro
When people rhyme in their posts, it makes me not want to read them.

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by NemeBro

Agreed.

Pretty sure this thread has been done before, as well.

TheAuraAngel
I only rhymed in 3/5ths of my post. :O

ArtificialGlory

Pretty much. I still haven't read the first two posts.

BloodRain
Probably has been done before. What was the outcome? Can't recall anything about Lich.

Pinkie Pie
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
I only rhymed in 3/5ths of my post. :O Which is still rhyming stick out tongue

From what I've understood of Link, I don't understand enough about him to say who will win this big grin

TheAuraAngel
It had a purpose though. >_>

The Scenario

NemeBro
Shut up.

TheAuraAngel

ScreamPaste
The sword, and ToC, not much else, imho. no expression Then again my knowledge of the Lich King comes entirely from threads like this one.

MooCowofJustice
Provided this hasn't been done before, I'll participate. But not today.

Also, pick a Link from a specific game/game pairing.

BloodRain
"Lich King has been sliced DIRECTLY and with such force that he was sent flying yards by what might one if not the most powerful weapon on Azeroth and he shrugged it of like he had suffered nothing but a bitchslap.."
Best (at least best physical) feat dug up from the last thread. That and some death/life limbo orb and a few other soul/mind moves.

Link having a holy-type sword of his own high strength in the case of TP, WW and OoT to make up for any power the Ashbringer, if any, has over the MS. That and getting some soul resistance (..I think) from the ToC... Link should most likely take this unless someone with WoW info comes along.

NemeBro
Master Sword holds enough magical power to counter the full Triforce.

What does Ashbringer have to compare?

ArtificialGlory

What does Ashbringer have to compare?

Well, it can shatter the Master Sword while negating the full Triforce. It can also permanently kill Ganon with a single touch.

NemeBro
So should I have specified that I would prefer to not get troll responses then?

ArtificialGlory
So should I have specified that I would prefer to not get troll responses then?

Probably, but I was kind enough to give you a legit response regardless.

BloodRain
No clue, being a lengendary weapon in the WoW verse makes it sound impressive though. It does have a special power to greatly damage the undead (like Lich is) as the MS's attack properties does for evil things, so his 'things im weak to' resistance is decent enough for the MS's evil repellent not to be too effective. That is, not until Link stabs him a few more times..

Pinkie Pie
Originally posted by BloodRain
"Lich King has been sliced DIRECTLY and with such force that he was sent flying yards by what might one if not the most powerful weapon on Azeroth and he shrugged it of like he had suffered nothing but a bitchslap.."
Best (at least best physical) feat dug up from the last thread. That and some death/life limbo orb and a few other soul/mind moves.

Link having a holy-type sword of his own high strength in the case of TP, WW and OoT to make up for any power the Ashbringer, if any, has over the MS. That and getting some soul resistance (..I think) from the ToC... Link should most likely take this unless someone with WoW info comes along. When? What weapon? no expressionOriginally posted by NemeBro

What does Ashbringer have to compare? That depends on what it means to counter the full Triforce stick out tongue

MooCowofJustice
It means to counter an item that grants any wish, passively transformed the Sacred Realm into the Dark Realm, and one third of it is the source of most of Ganon's power.

BloodRain
Originally posted by Pinkie Pie
When? What weapon? no expression
''dug up from the last thread'' I'm gonna have to the thread search again now. >:

e_oyXSSFAL0
5:00
(A game like this got so popular? O___o)
----------------------

But that countering effect does nothing for its physical power, besides the bonus against evil.

ArtificialGlory
''dug up from the last thread'' I'm gonna have to the thread search again now. >:

e_oyXSSFAL0
5:00
(A game like this got so popular? O___o)
----------------------

But that countering effect does nothing for its physical power, besides the bonus against evil.

It didn't get so popular for this, that's for sure.

You see, Ashbringer's best feat is hurting the Lich King and shattering Frostmourne. On the other hand, the Lich King's best durability feat is taking hits from Ashbringer(while being wielded by one of the most powerful Paladins of all time) and not keeling over.

Amazing, isn't it?

ScreamPaste
So Link has both significantly greater strength behind the blow, and a weapon that acts on a demonstrably higher scale.

/Thread.

BloodRain
Wouldn't say either sword is more damaging than the other but yes, any of the strength amped Link's can make up for this.

ArtificialGlory
Why do people keep putting Lich King in vs. threads? He's such a shitty character in almost all regards. I mean, we know next to nothing about the new Lich King and I already like him a thousand times more than Arthas-Lich King.

Pinkie Pie
Why is he shitty? blink

ScreamPaste
Wouldn't say either sword is more damaging than the other but yes, any of the strength amped Link's can make up for this.
Except where Ashbringer's best feat is an extremely situational blast which required the wielder to kill himself, the master sword has frozen time for at the least all of Hyrule beneath the Great sea, probably the world, while depowered. erm The master sword is clearly more powerful.

So my answer remains that all Link needs is the sword and ToC to win.

ArtificialGlory
Why is he shitty? blink

I could name some reasons, but I'll just go straight to the most important one: because I said so.

Pinkie Pie
In the effort it took you to write that you could've listed several examples stick out tongue I'm curious to why he's a bad character because I didn't find him so.

BloodRain
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Except where Ashbringer's best feat is an extremely situational blast which required the wielder to kill himself, the master sword has frozen time for at the least all of Hyrule beneath the Great sea, probably the world, while depowered.
Thatsmore its defensive quirks, combat power/stuffs are more the thing in question like amped strength.

ArtificialGlory
In the effort it took you to write that you could've listed several examples stick out tongue I'm curious to why he's a bad character because I didn't find him so.

Apart from being a blatant ripoff of Sauron/Witch-king? I mean, in Warcraft 3/TFT he was at least intriguing and had potential. In WotLK, he got reduced to a gloating buffoon who allowed himself and his realm to be torn apart bit by bit. And virtually any time the Lich King actually decided to do some fighting by himself, he got his ass handed to him. What a gimp. I swear that Arthas and the Lich King were much better characters before they got merged. It's like Blizzard combined two good things to make a shitty one. Combining two positives shouldn't make a negative, but it did with the Lich King. I remember how in WotLK the whole Lich King story arc was the least interesting to me despite it being the focus of the game.

That's actually where part of my gripe comes from in using the Lich King in vs. threads. He got killed without demonstrating any particularly good feats(I guess apart from killing the whole raid with a single spell).

Edit: Btw, does anyone remember the Lich King having a decent strenght feat?

ScreamPaste
Thatsmore its defensive quirks, combat power/stuffs are more the thing in question like amped strength. You missed the point that at it's weakest the sword is more powerful than Ashbringer, and it smites evil. It's on a higher scale. It wins.

BloodRain
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
You missed the point that at it's weakest the sword is more powerful than Ashbringer, and it smites evil. It's on a higher scale. It wins.
Overall no doubt, offensively it doesn't have as much going for it. (Eg like the BoO does.)

The Scenario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Grc_mn-pA&#t=5m

Meioh_Hades
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Apart from being a blatant ripoff of Sauron/Witch-king? I mean, in Warcraft 3/TFT he was at least intriguing and had potential. In WotLK, he got reduced to a gloating buffoon who allowed himself and his realm to be torn apart bit by bit. And virtually any time the Lich King actually decided to do some fighting by himself, he got his ass handed to him. What a gimp. I swear that Arthas and the Lich King were much better characters before they got merged. It's like Blizzard combined two good things to make a shitty one. Combining two positives shouldn't make a negative, but it did with the Lich King. I remember how in WotLK the whole Lich King story arc was the least interesting to me despite it being the focus of the game.

That's actually where part of my gripe comes from in using the Lich King in vs. threads. He got killed without demonstrating any particularly good feats(I guess apart from killing the whole raid with a single spell).

Edit: Btw, does anyone remember the Lich King having a decent strenght feat?

I totally agree with you: as I already said, Arthas as the Lich King is like a baby with a gun. He's got awesome powers, but he can't use them decently. Only an idiot like him (he purposely let the "heroes" destroying his whole reign just to have 10/25 more troops, and he FAILED in getting them) could have lost the war in Northrend.

The only strenght feat from the Lich King that I remember is killing Dranosh Saurfang (the youunger one) with a single strike. In the wrathgate cinematic Dranosh cleaved 3 vrykuls (they were giving an hard time to the Alliance troops, so I think they're quite strong) with one strike, so he proved to be a great warrior.

BloodRain
Originally posted by The Scenario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Grc_mn-pA&#t=5m
Isn't that its evil dispel thing?

Pinkie Pie

The Scenario
Isn't that its evil dispel thing?

Maybe. There's nothing said about the barrier, though it's around Hyrule Castle.

Meioh_Hades
The plan that the Lich King set in motion during the Wrath of the Lich King is one of such astonishing complexity that neither of you seem to have picked it up. It was working exactly as intended.

It was a dumbass plan indeed. And the "ultimate army" would have been with Trhall, Varian, Garrosh, Jaina, etc as soldier of the Scourge, not 10/25 random heroes.

And Scourge force always was in greater numbers. Arthas was just dumb... Even in Light's Hope Chapel: he sent the Death Knights to its doom just to bring Tirion Fordring out of hiding... That's truly idiocy: he should have used 10,000 ghouls, geists, abominations and other "lesser" undead, not his elite army of Death Knights.

And, one of those Death Knights carried the Ashbringer... It was corrupted, but with the Holy Ground of Light's Hope Chapel, the fact that Tirion is the greatest paladin still alive, "a being that holds within it the consciousness of the most cunning, intelligent, and ruthless individuals to ever live" should have tought of it, and kept the Ashbringer "inside the Frozen Throne", to prevent ANYONE to ever use it against him.

Basically, the Lich King gave at this wrost enemy the very weapon that become his undoing.

During Warcraft 3 the Lich King was the mastermind that indirectly defeated the Legion (let's think of it: the Scourge was the true winner of the Third War). After the merging, Arthas the Lich King become an arrogant idiot that transformer the dreaded Scourge into a joke.

BloodRain
Originally posted by The Scenario
Maybe. There's nothing said about the barrier, though it's around Hyrule Castle.
Taking a guess but it looks like a LoZ 'evil barrier' thing. The MS's physical prowess isn't far above normal swords, shown as other/large swords are more damaging ie Biggoron's Sword.

Nephthys
An army is always more useful and versital than a small group of individuals. I mean, it doesn't really matter how powerful they are (short of being like superman level), a group of 20 dudes can't effectively police, rule or take on entire countries the way an army will. And the heroes didn't defeat the entire army at once, they just fought small pockets of them one at a time.

Plus if he had just killed them and kept his army, he's in no real danger of losing. Why would he need such 'uber-powerful PCs' when he's pretty much won anyway?

Truth. By the end of Warcraft 3 the Scourge pretty much ruled the world. No demons were left to seriously threaten it, Illidan was cowed and defeated and the Horde, Sylvanas and Jaina's Alliance have no chance against them if they attacked them competantly.

Meioh_Hades
The Alliance and the Horde were too weakened in the aftermath of the Third War.

The only thing that saved Azeroth from total conquers from the Scourge was Illidan's spell in Dalaran. It borken part of the Lich King's prison, weakening Ner'Zhul and Arthas, and making a lot of undead free (Sylvanas and the Forsaken) or under the control of the Dreadlords.

ArtificialGlory
I'm not trying to say that the Lich King is a bad character because he's ripoff of the Witch-king AND Sauron. What I'm mad about is because Ner'zhul went from a relatively original character to a Witch-king/Sauron knock-off. Blizzard took the lazy way out with him. I probably wouldn't mind it so much if the Lich King started out like he was in WotLK. Oh well, the old Lich King is dead(good riddance!) now; hopefully the new one will prove to be a more interesting character.

As for his plan, Meioh_Hades already pointed out why it wasn't all that brilliant. What's the point of having a "brilliant" plan if you make these glaring, fatal mistakes?

Originally posted by Nephthys
An army is always more useful and versital than a small group of individuals. I mean, it doesn't really matter how powerful they are (short of being like superman level), a group of 20 dudes can't effectively police, rule or take on entire countries the way an army will. And the heroes didn't defeat the entire army at once, they just fought small pockets of them one at a time.

Plus if he had just killed them and kept his army, he's in no real danger of losing. Why would he need such 'uber-powerful PCs' when he's pretty much won anyway?

The Lich King would have presumably amped them significantly and made them his generals/leutenants. If I had been him, I would have done it after the heroes killed Kel'Thuzad or the moment they stepped into ICC. No later.

Meioh_Hades
And we also have to remember, that the Alliance and the Horde are not the only enemies of the Lich King in Northrend: there are also the Kirin Tor, the Knights of the Ebon Blade, the Argent Crusade, the forces of Yogg Saron and, most important, the Wyrmest Accord.

After the Nexus War, the Lich King had ALEXSTRASZA as an enemy in Northrend (Alex was dealing with Malygos before). With such a powerful foe in his doorstep, he shouldn't have played the "I let the heroes win" game safely.

And we can even talk about Ner'zhul vision: he had seen "Frostmourne clashing with a long and powerful blade named Ashbringer"

After his awakening, Arthas surely saw the Ashbringer in the hands of Darion Mograine. He should have remembered "OMFG! I've forseen that this blade will be purified again, and will be used directly against me!"

Brilliant idea to give that sword to a lieutenant sent to his doom to bring a PALADIN out of hiding.

It's sad: but Arthas the Lich King was just a dumb arrogant brat, who either did the "Dr.Claw" game or got his ass kicked... His power and cunning are just "informed abilities", but we never truly saw them.

ScreamPaste
Taking a guess but it looks like a LoZ 'evil barrier' thing. The MS's physical prowess isn't far above normal swords, shown as other/large swords are more damaging ie Biggoron's Sword. Don't be an idiot, that's a gameplay mechanic, why else would you use the Biggoron sword if it denied you a shield and didn't do anymore damage? no expression It's also non-magical, lacking the power to repel evil and all that other nice shit. Is just a cool sword.

Looks like an evil dispel? OHWAIT, LK IS EVIL. erm IE, it's going to smite him. You know, that's what it does. Just because it doesn't do flashy explosions doesn't make it any less of a powerful artifact whose primary purpose is to smite evil. Holy shit, dude.

It's like you'll downplay anything. no expression Graaahwfg. /Pulls out his own hair.

BloodRain
O___o Eh.. who's downplaying?

1) Im talking about the pure physical aspects of the sword -outside- of its anti-evil magic.

2) May be a gameplay mechanic but is there anything to say that the MS is physically stronger than other swords? (again talking outside of the anti-evil quirk) If there isnt it makes sense that he can rack up more damage with a two handed sword.

3) Resisting the strongest weapon thats also anti-undead is decent enough for the MS's skill not to one shot him. But like I said, getting past his durability is an easy feat..... whats you bringing up the dispel comment got to do with the point anyhow?

4) Ive long said that Link easily takes this. I think your personal grudge has blinded you to the fact that I was only asking about the physical properties of the MS and not trying to say that it isnt enought to touck LK.

Calm down and stop raging to things that arent there. -__-

TheAuraAngel
Using two hands to swing a sword will generally result in more physical power behind said swing. So assuming the Biggoron sword has more physical strength behind it is natural, since two hands and all.

Only counter argument to that would be arguing the MS is made of some special metal, since it does take on weathering like a champ. However, do believe that would probably have to do with the whole magic aspect.

ScreamPaste
Using two hands to swing a sword will generally result in more physical power behind said swing. So assuming the Biggoron sword has more physical strength behind it is natural, since two hands and all.

Only counter argument to that would be arguing the MS is made of some special metal, since it does take on weathering like a champ. However, do believe that would probably have to do with the whole magic aspect. Nothing stops Link from using the MS in two hands, and in fact he has, its' grip is even designed to accomodate it. The Biggoron sword's only advantage is length, meaning more force on the end of the blade, which ignores the fact that BR attempted to use the Biggoron sword to try and prove the MS is offensively nothing special. That's sort of a massive herp derp since the only thing supporting the biggoron sword being offensively superior is the in-game damage which has to be higher for anyone to bother using it. >=(

Anyone else ever notice you sort of find the sword hanging out inside a stone pedestal most of the time? How about it being basically indestructable, occasionally shoosting sword beams and being able to penetrate Ganon who's otherwise invulnerable?

Ashbringer's evil smiting capability does not compare, that feat does not nullify the evil smiting ability of the sword against Lich King. Since, you know, the MS has better feats while depowered

TheAuraAngel
That Master Sword, while depowered, could not cut through clothe. vin

ScreamPaste
That Master Sword, while depowered, could not cut through clothe. vin Ganon can reflext 19 gigajoules of lightning with his cape, your argument is invalid.

TheAuraAngel
Typically lightning singes clothing. shifty

MooCowofJustice
Have I mentioned how much I just ****in' don't like you guys? XD

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Have I mentioned how much I just ****in' don't like you guys? XD

Wut? I thought Scream was your buddy?

MooCowofJustice
He is.

He's also a douchebag.

What? Do you like all of your friends? Weirdo.

TheAuraAngel
I dun have any friends bro. My loving personality just does not seem to attract people.

MooCowofJustice
Oh bullshit. You sound like Paste, who also does not want to be a person that draws others. But in another life, he was voted Prom King.

TheAuraAngel
Pfft. A King getting voted. Becoming Prom King would be much cooler if they made you sword fight for it. **** yeah.

Also, I do believe that when Scream dies it will likely be due to a heart attack.

ScreamPaste
I'll take that bet, I have my money on violent retribution, or terminal stupidity. stick out tongue

MooCowofJustice
I'm in.

Dibs on alcohol related death. Be it liver failure or forgetting that he's allergic to something.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
I'm in.

Dibs on alcohol related death. Be it liver failure or forgetting that he's allergic to something. Does fire count as an allergy? O-o

MooCowofJustice
No.

But it'll count if you forget that it's hot and can kill you.

Soulerous
I'd like to mention the fact that Lich King Arthas is able to "Slay Living" at will, and his Magical armor makes him almost invulnerable. Just so you know. This information comes from Manual of Monsters (Warcraft RPG) and is official.

Plus... he can only be slain on the Frozen Throne, according to Uther.

ScreamPaste
All things that can ask the master sword how much of a **** it gives. cool

Pinkie Pie
Originally posted by Soulerous
I'd like to mention the fact that Lich King Arthas is able to "Slay Living" at will, and his Magical armor makes him almost invulnerable. Just so you know. This information comes from Manual of Monsters (Warcraft RPG) and is official.

Plus... he can only be slain on the Frozen Throne, according to Uther. Uther is wrong. Manual of Monsters is fallible. Both book and game bring this to the surface stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.