"Time is the one thing the all-father cannot control." -- Odin runs the gauntlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Philosophía
http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/ca0a615i8485/prv8485_pg8.jpg

Eat it, etc.

Now, Odin faces the following:

1.Ganthet
2.Shazam
3.Phantom Stranger
4.Nabu
5.Mordru
6.Spectre (DoV)

How far does he get?

JakeTheBank
I guess Fraction didn't read the times Odin/the Odinforce did manipulate time or is ignoring them altogether.

He definitely gets to Nabu, though you could argue him getting to Mordru, too, depending on the incarnation.

Uriel005
Depends on if Shazam is at RoE IMO. If he is I'd put him above stranger easily as the strangers has always been the behind the scenes kind of guy leaving his powers somewhat ambiguous.

Omega Vision
Goes to show you how chronocentric we are as a race. Time's not even a Universal constant and yet whereas everyone and their brother in comics can abuse the phuck out of Physics when it comes to FTL travel time manipulation is put on some pedestal.

If we were applying RL physics to comics, wouldn't anyone with high end gravity manip also be able to control time to some extent?

As for the match, stops at 4 IMO.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Jesus Christ, that is some of the worst characterization I've seen in a long time. I hope it's revealed that this is some sort of imposter or something otherwise Odin must have gone a little loony in death. I'm also going to interpret that as won't and not can't thank you very much.

I can't believe the status of the Odin Force has still not been addressed. He obviously possesses it to at least some degree but that should have been the first thing to get out of the way.

Not sure why is Asgard being remade into some New Genesis/Apokolips hybrid.

I'm not really certain where Odin stands currently so I don't know how far he'll get. There seems to be indication he possesses vast offensive might but his durability seems to have taken a dive.

JakeTheBank
Contact Fraction and find out. Though, he might just say to stay tuned to Thor/Fear Itself.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Jesus christ, that is some of the worst characterization I've seen in a long time. I hope it's revealed that this is some sort of imposter or something otherwise Odin must have gone a little loony in death. I'm also going to interpret that as won't and not can't thank you very much.

Look I agree it's shit writing, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest Odin's purported difficulty with controlling time is voluntary. Pretty unequivocal as statements of limitations go.

Because Darkseid's schemes are too large to be limited to one company. durkseid

Rage.Of.Olympus
It really looks like it was plucked out of a New Gods comic.

Omega Vision
It really looks like it was plucked out of a New Gods comic.
Might be a homage to Kirby.

After all, he intended the New Gods to be the direct successor to the Gods of Asgard, pretty sure the first NG comic even has a reprint of a scene from the Ragnarok in an old Mighty Thor issue showing the destruction of the Old Gods of the Third World.

McNasty996
When did Odin get above Galactus? Just asking based on answers and not meaning to demean anyone but shouldn't he stop at 1

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Might be a homage to Kirby.

After all, he intended the New Gods to be the direct successor to the Gods of Asgard, pretty sure the first NG comic even has a reprint of a scene from the Ragnarok in an old Mighty Thor issue showing the destruction of the Old Gods of the Third World.

Oh, I'm well aware of the large connection between Asgard and the New Gods. It's just a bit....weird, for lack of a better word.

It's cool and looks gorgeous though. Odin should upgrade Asgardians across the board. Siege took a flame thrower to their reputation.

Look I agree it's shit writing, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest Odin's purported difficulty with controlling time is voluntary. Pretty unequivocal as statements of limitations go.

I was just pretending that Fraction had written the correct word. He bragged being a big fan of the cosmic Asgardians. A wiki search would tell him his incorrect. Modern writers are extremely lazy. Their editors as well.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by McNasty996
When did Odin get above Galactus? Just asking based on answers and not meaning to demean anyone but shouldn't he stop at 1

Odin should lose to Ganthet, iyo?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I guess Fraction didn't read the times Odin/the Odinforce did manipulate time or is ignoring them altogether.

He definitely gets to Nabu, though you could argue him getting to Mordru, too, depending on the incarnation.
Just noticed this.

I'm not sure if there's really much variation in the power level of Nabu, when Nabu actually manifests independently of Fate. Pretty much every time he's fought the Spectre for instance he's given the Spectre a decent fight.

Edit: Or were you referring to Mordru when you said "depending on the incarnation"?

McNasty996
Odin should lose to Ganthet, iyo?

What has Ganthet actually done? To my knowlegde he hasn't done anything combat worthy. However i could be wrong as I don't follow the character. I simply thought that the general consensus is that Galactus is above skyfathers.

Uriel005
Odin should lose to Ganthet, iyo? Naw Just Shazam if he's at RoE which I would put above Phantom then due to Phantom's relative lack of high end feats. Then again I stopped following Phantom a few years back as I didn't really care too much for him.

JakeTheBank
Just noticed this.

I'm not sure if there's really much variation in the power level of Nabu, when Nabu actually manifests independently of Fate. Pretty much every time he's fought the Spectre for instance he's given the Spectre a decent fight.

Edit: Or were you referring to Mordru when you said "depending on the incarnation"?

I meant Mordru, yes.

Omega Vision
What has Ganthet actually done? To my knowlegde he hasn't done anything combat worthy. However i could be wrong as I don't follow the character. I simply thought that the general consensus is that Galactus is above skyfathers.
Recently Ganthet fought more than a dozen GLs at once and held his own. IIRC he was also pulling his punches because he didn't want to kill them, implying that he could have ended the fight much quicker if he was going all out.

But still nothing on or above Odin level IMO.

JakeTheBank

Recently, he started to own the Parallax possessed members of the GLC. In my opinion, Ganthet hasn't shown much to suggest him beating Odin or even stalemating him.

I'm not sure what Galactus has to do with this thread unless you're referring to the current Galactus Seed arc in Mighty Thor?

StiltmanFTW
but his durability seems to have taken a dive.

What? Because he was knocked down by Thor?

McNasty996
My bad I read Galactus instead of Ganthet sorry messed

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
What? Because he was knocked down by Thor?

His injuries in the Thor run.

Galan007
If we were applying RL physics to comics, wouldn't anyone with high end gravity manip also be able to control time to some extent? All-Star Superman figured that out:
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8465/allstar013.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/21/allstar016.jpg

smart

Rage.Of.Olympus
The Odin Source?

StiltmanFTW
His injuries in the Thor run.

I see, thanks, need to read that.

SasuOna
He stops at the Phantom Stranger due to not being able to kill him.

quanchi112
How does this honestly bother anyone ? Odin's isn't normally portrayed as having power over time and according to this writer he can't. It's like someone saying Superman can't breathe in space and everyone acting like all those times he did didn't count. Writing will always be inconsistent. It's "time" to accept that.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Galan007
All-Star Superman figured that out:
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8465/allstar013.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/21/allstar016.jpg

smart
Second one don't work. sad

Originally posted by SasuOna
He stops at the Phantom Stranger due to not being able to kill him.
I'm sure Odin can find a way to take him out of the fight some other way. In either case I don't think PS can beat him either. Give him a decent fight maybe.

Galan007
Second one don't work. sad mad

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/21/allstar016.th.jpg

StiltmanFTW
Second one don't work. sad

I'm sure Odin can find a way to take him out of the fight some other way. In either case I don't think PS can beat him either. Give him a decent fight maybe.

It did work before, but now it needs to be reuploaded. Apparently imgshack stuff ban randomly comic book scans. Very randomly.

mad

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/21/allstar016.th.jpg

Oh. Thx smile

Mindset
Is the scan in the OP supposed to have something to do with anything in this thread?

Stoic
Stops at 5.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Mindset
Is the scan in the OP supposed to have something to do with anything in this thread?

I guess it's just to say or imply Odin can't/won't use time manipulation in this fight or that he can't do it at all based off of Fraction.

psycho gundam
odin enchanted mjolnir with time manipulation powers

illadelph12
The OP is a bit of a misnomer. The scan can be interpreted as an admission of his inability to manipulate time (which is refuted by on panel feats), or it can be interpreted as Odin warning his people of an imminent and impending doom about to befall them that he simply can't avert and wishes they had more time for them to prepare for, like someone saying "Time isn't on our side" when a disaster like a nuclear meltdown is underway and they are scrambling to prevent a complete failure, or the phrase 'time is of the essence".

I lean toward the latter rather than the former.

JakeTheBank
thumb up

We all know Odin/the OF can manipulate time. Even if Fraction meant the line in the literal sense, there's more than one instance proving it wrong. Unless we take it as "current" Odin somehow not being able to manipulate time in the literal sense.

Mindset
I guess it's just to say or imply Odin can't/won't use time manipulation in this fight or that he can't do it at all based off of Fraction. I'm saying his time manipulation wouldn't allow him to get farther in this gauntlet anyway.

JakeTheBank
I'm saying his time manipulation wouldn't allow him to get farther in this gauntlet anyway.

thumb up

Uriel005
thumb up

We all know Odin/the OF can manipulate time. Even if Fraction meant the line in the literal sense, there's more than one instance proving it wrong. Unless we take it as "current" Odin somehow not being able to manipulate time in the literal sense. Agreed like Barry's discussion with Wally after the whole issue with murder and time travel to stop it from happening so he doesn't have to go to jail.

"Id"
Originally posted by illadelph12
The OP is a bit of a misnomer. The scan can be interpreted as an admission of his inability to manipulate time (which is refuted by on panel feats), or it can be interpreted as Odin warning his people of an imminent and impending doom about to befall them that he simply can't avert and wishes they had more time for them to prepare for, like someone saying "Time isn't on our side" when a disaster like a nuclear meltdown is underway and they are scrambling to prevent a complete failure, or the phrase 'time is of the essence".

As for the match itself. Either Nabu, or Mordu can halt Odin.

carver9
That's why its not good to use classic feats... characters change so much that its ridiculous.

kgkg
Originally posted by carver9
That's why its not good to use classic feats... characters change so much that its ridiculous. Time manipulation is not a classic feat.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by carver9
That's why its not good to use classic feats... characters change so much that its ridiculous.

erm

King Thor stopped time.

Decent point.

Uriel005
erm

King Thor stopped time.

Decent point. Like I said there was a discussion between Barry and Wally about not going back in time to change things despite the fact that they could. Changing inevitable events usually ends badly.

celeyhyga17

Agree
thumbup1

If it is the former, he prolly can't affect the "time line" of someone as powerful as this so called serpent.

Igniz
Originally posted by Uriel005
Like I said there was a discussion between Barry and Wally about not going back in time to change things despite the fact that they could. Changing inevitable events usually ends badly.

And that is why Thor's ability to travel back and forward in time was removed.From what I heard, Marvel HQ was always flooded by questions about "Why didn't Thor traveled back in time and do this and do that?!" Must be hard to answer all of those time traveling question all the time.Especially if its frequently asked.But I can't say the same for his time stopping ability if its gone or not.At one time, Dr.Doom stole Thor's hammer and hooked it up on a machine to stop time in Thor#410 I think.

biker

Philosophía
The OP is a bit of a misnomer. Do you know the difference between "there's not much time" and the much simple, as direct as it gets, "Time is the one thing the all-father cannot control", as in speaking directly of the abilities and limitations he has?

Warlord
so it's oficial now.
Odin cannot affect time.

I'm sure I have a scan somewhere with Superman not being able to outrace light.

Newjak

Bentley
People, just accept Kang solos Odin and move on g_grin

Philosophía
Originally posted by Warlord
so it's oficial now.
Odin cannot affect time.thumb up

Glad you agree.

Originally posted by Warlord
I'm sure I have a scan somewhere with Superman not being able to outrace light. Sure, I can even post it for you if you'd like the only difference is that:

a).That is Byrne Superman
b).Superman had during and after that period, feats contradicting that statement.

On the other hand, currently Odin has been ressurected and is handled by Matt Fraction - the guy who wrote the scene, and is currently the writer of the two titles in which Odin appears the most - Thor and Fear Itself. When is the last time has has displayed time-stopping abilities? If he will display time-manipulation abilities then sure, I agree that he is still portrayed as having in his power to do so. But until then? I'm going to go with what the guy who, you know, writes him says.

It's no different than Green Lanterns and teleportation. Remember OneDumbGo arguing that they can no longer teleport becaue the current storylines specifically says displays that they need the Indigo Lanterns to do so? Eventough they have done so numerous times in the past.

It's exactly that. Only now it's on Marvel's side. smile

Existere
Meh. All this does is really create a distinction between 'current' Odin and 'classic' Odin, and doesn't change a thing about the arguments in the previous thread, just creates a separate discussion for what is essentially a separate character.

SasuOna
Theres not a big gap between current Odin and Classic Odin anyway. All this does is highlight how he currently has not control over time.

biker

Warlord

dmills
The issue isn't even out yet. How about we all chill out until we have the context of the entire issue before making definitive statements about characters.

Rage.Of.Olympus
If Fraction really meant it as Odin not being able to manipulate time then I'm kind of ticked off. Mostly because it's just plain laziness on his part as well as his Editor's. It's another animal if his trying to tone down Odin but I'd wager it's mostly ignorance.

For the record, Odin reversed time like a few months ago.

dmills
If Fraction really meant it as Odin not being able to manipulate time then I'm kind of ticked off. Mostly because it's just plain laziness on his part as well as his Editor's. It's another animal if his trying to tone down Odin but I'd wager it's mostly ignorance.

For the record, Odin reversed time like a few months ago. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. It's a damn scan from a preview on cbr, so for all we know he could further elaborate on page 20. We'll find out next week.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Meh, I doubt it but who knows.

Newjak

For the record, Odin reversed time like a few months ago. When did he do this?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Newjak
When did he do this?

-Pr-
Originally posted by "Id"
As for the match itself. Either Nabu, or Mordu can halt Odin.

Id, don't post gifs like that again, please.

illadelph12

Harbinger
Originally posted by Parmaniac
I sense negative emotions.

Philosophía
in flowery speech, that even with all his power he is unable to provide the Asgardians more time to prepare for this coming calamity, so they need to get ready for the battle to come. You say you have a grasp of the english language, but it seems you continuously fail to make the difference between phrases simply saying that they're running out of time and Odin flat-out stating that controlling time is beyond his power.

"Time is the one thing the All-Father cannot control.".

It doesn't get more direct than that, I'm afraid to say.

and I can bring it if necessary.

It's better to quit while you're ahead. I don't know if this was intentional humor, but if it was, you did make me laugh.

Deadline

JakeTheBank
I certainly do. I have an exceptionally firm grasp of the English language, and the ability to interpret context.

I can also sense when someone is cherry picking a phrase to further an agenda.

I'm not reading that scan as Odin saying he doesn't have time manipulation powers (which would be refuted by actual evidence, on panel, to the contrary of this 'statement'). I'm reading it in the statements full context:

Odin's essentually standing up on a pulpit warning the Asgardian people of an imminent threat about to befall them, and says, in flowery speech, that even with all his power he is unable to provide the Asgardians more time to prepare for this coming calamity, so they need to get ready for the battle to come.

I may not debate as often as I did back in the old days but don't get it twisted, I read enough of the threads to know what you're about Phil, and I can bring it if necessary.

It's better to quit while you're ahead.

http://kontraband.se/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/clapping.gif

Philosophía
I now half-expect Leo to come in here, all butthurt, telling Ill to put me on ignore.

Your anger feeds me. And Captain Marvel being equal to Superman is company policy. smile

biker

Warlord

let's be honest here...
this was a remake of an older story

Newjak

biker

biker

Newjak
Originally posted by biker
first of all didnt happen so dont asume things vs things that happened, second of all flash got feats to prove he is faster than the speed of light unlike odin who... when did he ever display controling time? and no dont give me king thor i am speaking of odin himself I know. It was simply made to prove a point.

That the person I directed that post at is using this as evidence that Odin can not do something despite him doing it before in the past, refer to Rage's previous scans to prove it, and that I know if such thing were shown about another character that poster liked he wouldn't use it as evidence like he is now.

His statement is simply trying to further his own agenda on a statement that has already been proven false by what Odin has previously done.

kgkg
first of all didnt happen so dont asume things vs things that happened, second of all flash got feats to prove he is faster than the speed of light unlike odin who... when did he ever display controling time? and no dont give me king thor i am speaking of odin himself http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2330/15438426.th.jpghttp://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9822/16927548.th.jpg

Deadline
Originally posted by Newjak

Exactly.

biker

JakeTheBank
He made time stand still which stopped the Destroyer Armor from using its disintegration beam. And he also turned back time from when Thor was manipulated by Loki during his first year on modern Marvel Earth and wrecked Earth's heroes.

biker

kgkg
thats not a time manipulation feat he simply sent some beam that made certein beings forget it has nothing to do with time next time use context Ohh the irony

biker

JakeTheBank
Look at the first scan.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/206/15438426.jpg/

"Though the Destroyer be ready to hurl his bolt of death -- tis I who possess the power to tear the very fabric of eternity. Thus at my command let time stand still!"

Odin stopped time and sent the beam of amnesia/what-have-you at Loki, shutting down his mind for the moment, which in turn makes the Destroyer collapse as Loki's was mentally controlling the armor. In short:

-Odin stops time, preventing the Destroyer from using its beams.
-Odin projects a energy bolt designed to shut down Loki's mind from across the universe.
-The Destroyer Armor falls without its host.

biker

Deadline
Sock?

JakeTheBank
it doesnt say "Thus at my command let time stand still!" you just made that up on your own, odin only stated that he is going to release a beam that will make them forget and its all he did it was stated twice that he only released a beam which caused to forget nice try liar

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/OdinBorson/Timestop.jpg

I highlighted it for your reading enjoyment.

Mindset
Someone ban this idiot.

biker

biker

Mindset
shut up n!gger Originally posted by Mindset
Someone ban this idiot.

Galan007
"A beam of forgetfulness" lulz.

JakeTheBank
he said he is going to stop time but where is it showed that he actually stopped time? spider-man also said he can break wolverines neck doesnt mean he could, show me where is it seen that he did stop time and not only stated that

Do you admit being wrong in calling me a liar and making that line up, then?

The Destroyer Armor was about to shoot Odin with its bolts, and Odin stopped time and sent a beam flying outwards to shut down Loki and render the Destroyer Armor inoperable in the second scan. It's pretty cut and dry. And I don't think you responded to the scans above that Rage posted where Odin turned back time as part of a test on Thor's part. And the instances where the Odinforce has stopped and turned back time.

You can believe that for whatever reason current/Fraction Odin can't control time if you want to take that statement as literal as possible, but you really can't believe Odin had never been capable of doing such when he has and the energy source which fuels him has done so.

Philosophía
"A beam of forgetfulness" lulz. Silver Age at its finest.Originally posted by JakeTheBank
You can believe that for whatever reason current/Fraction Odin can't control time if you want to take that statement as literal as possible, I lol'd.

SasuOna
I don't think thats enough proof to say that he stopped time. Maybe he froze the destroyer in time which is within his power but everything is too static for me to make a conclusion.
I have read that annual though

Mindset
You people are so stupid.

It's sickening.

Philosophía

It's sickening. Don't be mad, bro.

Join in.

RE: Blaxican

It's sickening.

Existere
I see what Delph's saying. I see what Phil's saying. I really, really don't see what ever the hell people are saying to try and argue that old-school Odin didn't outright stop time there.

If you want to support the case that Odin currently can't manipulate time, go ahead, clearly there's an argument to be made. But if you're outright ignoring a cut and dry feat with no argument other than 'NAH! That didn't happen!', you're doing it wrong.

Digi
Originally posted by Existere
I see what Delph's saying. I see what Phil's saying. I really, really don't see what ever the hell people are saying to try and argue that old-school Odin didn't outright stop time there.

If you want to support the case that Odin currently can't manipulate time, go ahead, clearly there's an argument to be made. But if you're outright ignoring a cut and dry feat with no argument other than 'NAH! That didn't happen!', you're doing it wrong.

^^ This. Characters change, writers write characters differently, and if the OP wants a "can't manip. time Odin vs. whoever" in order to prove a point or whatever, then that's cool. Just don't insult everyone's intelligence by pretending it's always been that way.

Example: Thor has absorbed AoE energy attacks where the hammer wasn't taking the brunt of the energy, he was simply encased or surrounded by it. Others feats contradict this, where he doesn't absorb stuff unless Mjolnir is specifically trained on the energy blast. Does the latter invalidate the former? Well, maybe, if repeated enough. But does it erase the former from existence? Of course not. As it happens, Thor has numerous feats of both types, so it's likely a PIS or CIS thing, not a changing power set. But it was handy for my point.

Because it's an unfortunate trend on the forums for people to use whatever latest feat to wipe out any other past feat if it suits their purpose. It's much harder to continue to see the character as a whole (outside of clear retcons or changes) and allow the evidence to lead us to the most likely (though not assured) conclusion. Because, honestly, Odin's quote in the OP is practically metaphoric. And there's lots of types of time control.

Don Corleone

If you want to support the case that Odin currently can't manipulate time, go ahead, clearly there's an argument to be made. But if you're outright ignoring a cut and dry feat with no argument other than 'NAH! That didn't happen!', you're doing it wrong. Originally posted by Digi
^^ This. Characters change, writers write characters differently, and if the OP wants a "can't manip. time Odin vs. whoever" in order to prove a point or whatever, then that's cool. Just don't insult everyone's intelligence by pretending it's always been that way.

Example: Thor has absorbed AoE energy attacks where the hammer wasn't taking the brunt of the energy, he was simply encased or surrounded by it. Others feats contradict this, where he doesn't absorb stuff unless Mjolnir is specifically trained on the energy blast. Does the latter invalidate the former? Well, maybe, if repeated enough. But does it erase the former from existence? Of course not. As it happens, Thor has numerous feats of both types, so it's likely a PIS or CIS thing, not a changing power set. But it was handy for my point.

Because it's an unfortunate trend on the forums for people to use whatever latest feat to wipe out any other past feat if it suits their purpose. It's much harder to continue to see the character as a whole (outside of clear retcons or changes) and allow the evidence to lead us to the most likely (though not assured) conclusion. Because, honestly, Odin's quote in the OP is practically metaphoric. And there's lots of types of time control.

Nicely put.

dmills
Originally posted by Digi

Because it's an unfortunate trend on the forums for people to use whatever latest feat to wipe out any other past feat if it suits their purpose. It's much harder to continue to see the character as a whole (outside of clear retcons or changes) and allow the evidence to lead us to the most likely (though not assured) conclusion. Because, honestly, Odin's quote in the OP is practically metaphoric. And there's lots of types of time control. This. And the fact that it's a single scan from a preview of a book that isn't even out yet.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I don't think thats enough proof to say that he stopped time. Maybe he froze the destroyer in time which is within his power but everything is too static for me to make a conclusion.
I have read that annual though

Lol.

Sr J-Bieb
Lol. Keep in mind that came from a Dr Strange fan.

Superfanboy
Luthor did not knew supes can breath in space so he provided air but big blue did not need it

Lord_Talron

If we were applying RL physics to comics, wouldn't anyone with high end gravity manip also be able to control time to some extent?
absolutely. but they would probably have to be a multiversal threat thru their gravity manip for anyone to notice, id think

Superfanboy
Odin cannot control time
It is the truth
Accept it
It will set u free

SasuOna
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
Keep in mind that came from a Dr Strange fan.

Keep in mind that hyperbole does exist especially for Odin and what was shown on panel hardly counts as a true time stop to me.
I'm sure their are other feats that can be posted that are a lot more concrete then this.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Keep in mind that hyperbole does exist especially for Odin and what was shown on panel hardly counts as a true time stop to me.
I'm sure their are other feats that can be posted that are a lot more concrete then this.

Is English not your first language? Do you have difficulty reading? If not, I don't understand why you think that doesn't count as stopping time. Or are you just trolling and/or being dense?

The Destroyer was moments away from unleashing it's most powerful weapon while standing a few feet away from Odin. After discovering Loki's real body was at the farthest regions of creation, Odin had to act and so he stopped time, then used a mental attack to dispose of Loki.

The comic literally spells it out for you. I could post other feats for Odin, but I don't have to. This is enough for anyone with elementary level reading skills.

SasuOna
Is English not your first language? Do you have difficulty reading? If not, I don't understand why you think that doesn't count as stopping time. Or are you just trolling and/or being dense?

The Destroyer was moments away from unleashing it's most powerful weapon while standing a few feet away from Odin. After discovering Loki's real body was at the farthest regions of creation, Odin had to act and so he stopped time, then used a mental attack to dispose of Loki.

The comic literally spells it out for you. I could post other feats for Odin, but I don't have to. This is enough for anyone with elementary level reading skills.
hmmm
Sounds like you have your own interpretation of what happened on panel that doesn't rationalize the things that are said and what actually happens.

So your attributing something that was on panel only stated and in fact shown to effect the Destroyer to the many light years that his beam of forgetfulness crossed which if we went by your interpretation of what happened he wouldn't have needed to stop the destroyer at all in the first place, he would have just needed to stop Loki.

common sense thats not a true time stop across all creation like your trying to play it up as. He needs better feats then that

Juntai
Silver age scan?
lmao.

Deadline
I have a feeling thats not the only one he has. I think he posted one from last month.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Sounds like you have your own interpretation of what happened on panel that doesn't rationalize the things that are said and what actually happens.

Lawlz. I'm going by what's printed on panel. It's as clear as day. My interpretation is the correct one. There is no ambiguity here, Odin outright says what he does.

So your attributing something that was on panel only stated and in fact shown to effect the Destroyer to the many light years that his beam of forgetfulness crossed which if we went by your interpretation of what happened he wouldn't have needed to stop the destroyer at all in the first place, he would have just needed to stop Loki.

What are you even saying here? To stop the Destroyer, Odin needed to stop Loki. Unfortunately, the Destroyer was moments away from unleashing his attack, but by stopping time, he need not worry about it and his beam of forgetfulness reached Loki. It's all right there on the page. What are you not understanding?

common sense thats not a true time stop across all creation like your trying to play it up as. As I said before hes only shown stopping the Destroyer like that and not Loki.

laughing out loud

Yea, I'm going to go with my third option.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Juntai
Silver age scan?
lmao.

So? I didn't post the scene but it counts and this SasuOna character is trying to ignore what happened on panel.

Odin most recent feat of time manipulation would be from First Thunder #5 which happened this year. Before that, the latest time manipulation feat would have to be from the v2 where King Thor stops time.

Deadline
^ By the way hasn't Thor shown limited time manipulation with Mjolinor? See where I'm going with this?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Deadline
^ By the way hasn't Thor shown limited time manipulation with Mjolinor? See where I'm going with this?

Thor has used Mjolnir to travel to the far distant past and future, reverse time, stop time, and manipulate time to create powerful barriers.

Yes, I see where you're going with this. For those who don't, hint: Odin is the one who enchanted Mjolnir.

Superfanboy
Rage do u think mjolnir is worthy?
What is the nature of enchantment?
Mjolnir obeys Odin more than Thor
Thor should get a new better hammer imo

Rage.Of.Olympus
I don't fully understand your first question. Is Mjolnir worthy in what sense?

The nature of the enchantment is that only those that the hammer deems worthy will be allowed to wield it and the power of Thor.

Of course it does. Despite the powerful connection between Thor/Mjolnir, Odin is still it's master and creator (The dwarfs actually forged it but whatever).

Heh. You'd be hard pressed to find a better weapon than Mjolnir without looking at Universal weapons. Mjolnir is already underused greatly in terms of power/versatility. Giving Thor a better weapon, even if possible, wouldn't help. It would never happen by the way. Mjolnir is as synonymous with Thor as the S-shield is with Superman. I wouldn't want Thor getting a new hammer.

Superfanboy
Thor is noble guy
Mjolnir is a traitor
Odin said drop
It dropped like a dog
Does one of worthy qualities one must possess is being Odin's pet?
Thor should smash it to pieces and rebuild without Odin override protocol

StiltmanFTW
Mjolnir is not worthy of being wielded by Mighty Thor biscuits

Parmaniac

SasuOna
Lawlz. I'm going by what's printed on panel. It's as clear as day. My interpretation is the correct one. There is no ambiguity here, Odin outright says what he does.
My man you can believe want you want to believe, I'm not denying that he didn't display time manipulation abilities in those scans but if you think that those scans clearly without a doubt show him stopping time across all creation then you are biased and wrong.

What are you even saying here? To stop the Destroyer, Odin needed to stop Loki. Unfortunately, the Destroyer was moments away from unleashing his attack, but by stopping time, he need not worry about it and his beam of forgetfulness reached Loki. It's all right there on the page. What are you not understanding? It wouldn't have mattered if he had just stopped Loki. Hes the one controlling the Destroyer. He stops Loki and he would have ended the conflict. There was a need for him to first stop the destroyer with time manip(as its shown on panel) if he could just stop all of creation including Loki.

laughing out loud

Yea, I'm going to go with my third option.

thats your business
This just happens to be one of the Odin feats that are open to scrutiny. I'm sure he has others that aren't as ambiguous.

Superfanboy
Mjolnir is lucky Thor does not have an enchantment
Srsly This is disgusting
Thor should rebuild mjolnir
Find the damn dwarf

Rage.Of.Olympus
My man you can believe want you want to believe, I'm not denying that he didn't display time manipulation abilities in those scans but if you think that those scans clearly without a doubt show him stopping time across all creation then you are biased and wrong.

Those scans depicted Odin stopping time. There is no ambiguity to it. It was made specifically clear what happened.

Whether Odin time stop worked across all creation however is not something I claimed and it's not something I can answer. The area of effect for Odin's time stopping has never been made clear, it's not usually done so with such tactics from what I can tell. I have no doubt that at the very least, the powers noticeably superior to Odin were unaffected.

It wouldn't have mattered if he had just stopped Loki. Hes the one controlling the Destroyer. He stops Loki and he would have ended the conflict. There was a need for him to first stop the destroyer with time manip(as its shown on panel) if he could just stop all of creation including Loki.

The Destroyer was the primary threat. To stop the Destroyer, Odin needed to stop Loki. To stop Loki, Odin needed time and so he simply halted the passage of it. Previous to Balder's arrival Odin was not aware where Loki was residing/hiding.

It's all very simple.

thats your business
This just happens to be one of the Odin feats that are open to scrutiny. I'm sure he has others that aren't as ambiguous.

Odin told us what he was doing.

SasuOna
Okay now were getting somewhere, note I was just arguing the notion that Odin froze all time or at least up to the many light years where it would have needed to reach Loki.

Yeah Balder told him Loki's exact location so his beam of forgetfulness could reach him. He wouldn't need to know those things if he could just stop time and Loki by proxy and the Destroyer.

He stopped the destroyer with his time manip and then used Balder's info to divine where Loki's location was which is when he then used the beam of forgetfulness. That should be indicative of the fact that Loki was out of his range right there.

Personally I think it wouldn't have mattered who he stopped first since the threats are both tied together but the fact that there was an order to who he dealt with and by what means that basically kills your argument.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Okay now were getting somewhere, note I was just arguing the notion that Odin froze all time or at least up to the many light years where it would have needed to reach Loki.

Yeah Balder told him Loki's exact location so his beam of forgetfulness could reach him. He wouldn't need to know those things if he could just stop time and Loki by proxy.

He stopped the destroyer with his time manip and then used Balder's info to divine where Loki's location was which is when he then used the beam of forgetfulness. That should be indicative of the fact that Loki was out of his range right there.

Personally I think it wouldn't have mattered who he stopped first since the threats are both tied together but the fact that there was an order to who he dealt with and by what means that basically kills your argument.

There are obviously super powers out there who would not be affected by someone on Odin's level. That much goes without saying.

You're argument is inherently flawed.

Stopping time does not get rid of the threat. Loki and the Destroyer would still be there unless Odin did something to permanently remove the danger. Which he did in the form of the beam of forgetfulness.

You're argument that Loki was out of range simply because Odin used a follow up method is a leap in logic.

basilisk
In Journey into Mystery #104 Odin waved his hand and stopped "the very fabric of time itself" then transported the entire human race to another dimension and held them in stasis. Then with another wave of his hand he put it all back. Awesome.

Philosophía
Originally posted by basilisk
In Journey into Mystery #104 Odin waved his hand and stopped "the very fabric of time itself" then transported the entire human race to another dimension and held them in stasis. Then with another wave of his hand he put it all back. Awesome. He also said "Stand back, my son! I have an awesome feat to perform!" in a metatextual conversation with future fanboys.

dmills

JakeTheBank
To be frank, I don't even know why this - Odin's time manipulation abilities - is an issue being discussed.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Superfanboy
Mjolnir is lucky Thor does not have an enchantment
Srsly This is disgusting
Thor should rebuild mjolnir
Find the damn dwarf u dum

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by dmills
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/dmills31/picsay-1304184836.jpg lol

leonidas
I certainly do. I have an exceptionally firm grasp of the English language, and the ability to interpret context.

I can also sense when someone is cherry picking a phrase to further an agenda.

I'm not reading that scan as Odin saying he doesn't have time manipulation powers (which would be refuted by actual evidence, on panel, to the contrary of this 'statement'). I'm reading it in the statements full context:

Odin's essentually standing up on a pulpit warning the Asgardian people of an imminent threat about to befall them, and says, in flowery speech, that even with all his power he is unable to provide the Asgardians more time to prepare for this coming calamity, so they need to get ready for the battle to come.

I may not debate as often as I did back in the old days but don't get it twisted, I read enough of the threads to know what you're about Phil, and I can bring it if necessary.

It's better to quit while you're ahead.

laughing well said, delph.

on a seperate note, it's cute how my butt is still on your mind sheriff. a little disturbing, and a lot perverted, but cute. course, why you think i'd care what one current writer thinks is, as usual, beyond me. clearly he could control time in the past. if his new incarnation ultimately proves to be unable to do so, welllllll........ so? maybe this new one can't shake the multiverse either. or destroy galaxies. i do like the way you once again broke things down into dc people and marvel people though. way to push that transparent little agenda with this bait thread and perpetuate precisely the attitude the forum DOESN'T need. thumb up and it might take a while, but, after many tears, and much counselling, i feel safe in saying that the, er, 'marvel side' will probably be all right...... smile

psycho gundam
you quoted the wrong post?

leonidas
Originally posted by psycho gundam
you quoted the wrong post?

nah. they would have understood. clarified for others though. thumb up

bwahaha_kid

Philosophía
Originally posted by leonidas
on a seperate note, it's cute how my butt is still on your mind sheriff. The opposite, really. I'm not the one coming into threads and going "ignore him" or "thumb up" to anybody I'm having a discussion with, a short while after I mad you weep in others, so I tend to think it's something personal.

But maybe I'm seeing different, and we really have opposite opinions. On everything. smile

Existere

Philosophía
Freudian e-slip.ermmha Double entendre!

And no, I'm not the one stalking him and agreeing with the other guy.

leonidas
blah blah just keep my butt out your mouth and everyone will be happy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.