Silver Age Mangog vs Classic Dr Strange

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nihilist
No bfr.

Harbinger
Doc.

Prep-Man
Strange.

BullwinkleMoose
Strange easily

Horrificus
If Odin was unable to use a mystical whammy against Mangog, while sitting in the heart of Asgard, why is Strange able to do it?

JakeTheBank
Strange wouldn't beat Mangog without prep or plot device or a shit load of context.

Uriel005
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Strange wouldn't beat Mangog without prep or plot device or a shit load of context. You do realize that Dr. Strange generally operates at levels far below his max right... Generally I take his showings when he is officially acting in his capacity as Sorcerer Supreme to be what his average is. While this isn't ideal I find that it is a bit more reliable for his supposed power-levels as he tends to perform notably less... well when working for others or simply against anything not a magical/cosmic threat of massive proportions... So if this is classic strange in his end cosmic/mystical threat to the universe I think he should take this quite handily. If not well... Strange's convenient forgetting of his most potent magics kicks in and Mangog drops a deuce down his throat.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Uriel005
You do realize that Dr. Strange generally operates at levels far below his max right... Generally I take his showings when he is officially acting in his capacity as Sorcerer Supreme to be what his average is. While this isn't ideal I find that it is a bit more reliable for his supposed power-levels as he tends to perform notably less... well when working for others or simply against anything not a magical/cosmic threat of massive proportions... So if this is classic strange in his end cosmic/mystical threat to the universe I think he should take this quite handily. If not well... Strange's convenient forgetting of his most potent magics kicks in and Mangog drops a deuce down his throat.

Dr. Strange's "max" usually involves prep time, plot device, and a shitload of context, though, hence my previous statement.

Uriel005
Dr. Strange's "max" usually involves prep time, plot device, and a shitload of context, though, hence my previous statement. IIRC Strange vs. Inbetweener didn't have any prep. Also Shuma fight was Strange using one of Strange's outright most powerful abilities which should stomp just about anyone. To be fair I'll exclude that ability because "becoming" someone else and adding his own not inconsiderable abilities is not something that is even funny to joke about how broken it is. A couple others are bound to come to mind. But when it comes down to it Strange in his capacity as sorcerer supreme on the norm is supposed to be able to handle universal threats. I just don't think Mangog registers quite on that scale. That said Strange tends to perform decidedly worse when the universe is not at stake, but I will say that for him to be expected to deal with that crap and have trouble with some of the things he does is incredibly stupid and I hope if he retakes the mantle as sorcerer supreme someone addresses it. Either reduce the position of sorcerer supreme to something that is not recognized as a cosmic position (the way that Pym was acknowledged scientist supreme...) or give him the ability to back up what cosmic beings are calling the position...

Sundipped
Doc should stomp. A few planet destroying blasts mixed in with a few illusions, mixed in with some energy manipulation, mixed in with a little tp. No prep needed. Too many weapons at his disposal. Did I mention the intelligence advantage? And this is without bfr.

Horrificus
Originally posted by Sundipped
Doc should stomp. A few planet destroying blasts mixed in with a few illusions, mixed in with some energy manipulation, mixed in with a little tp. No prep needed. Too many weapons at his disposal. Did I mention the intelligence advantage? And this is without bfr. When did Strange have the power to destroy planets on his own?

I know a lot of his spells and feats involved begging for and borrowing powers from other beings and stuff like that, but I don't remember ever seeing him show those kinds of powers from himself.

JakeTheBank
Doc should stomp. A few planet destroying blasts mixed in with a few illusions, mixed in with some energy manipulation, mixed in with a little tp. No prep needed. Too many weapons at his disposal. Did I mention the intelligence advantage? And this is without bfr.

None of what you mentioned is beyond the scope of what Silver Age/Classic Odin was capable of.

ozz81
probably MG

Sundipped
Originally posted by Horrificus
When did Strange have the power to destroy planets on his own?

I know a lot of his spells and feats involved begging for and borrowing powers from other beings and stuff like that, but I don't remember ever seeing him show those kinds of powers from himself.

Strange doesn't "beg" for powers. You obviously don't know the nnature of what a sorceror supreme is. These abilities are granted to him. The fact that he has acess to these powers is what makes him what he is. So in actuality it is him who has the power.

Steve has destroyed a planet in astral form before.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3420/drstrangekathulos2.th.jpg http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9637/planblow2nbf.th.jpg

Sundipped
None of what you mentioned is beyond the scope of what Silver Age/Classic Odin was capable of.

PIS. Because Thor outright smashed him when he was working for Thanos. After Steve finds out the nature of Mangog (assuming he would'nt know already), he's capable of defeating him the same way Odin did.

Horrificus
Strange doesn't "beg" for powers. You obviously don't know the nnature of what a sorceror supreme is. These abilities are granted to him. The fact that he has acess to these powers is what makes him what he is. So in actuality it is him who has the power.

Steve has destroyed a planet in astral form before.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3420/drstrangekathulos2.th.jpg http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9637/planblow2nbf.th.jpg I started reading Dr. Strange in the early 80's.
I think he is great. I understand how it works. Like you stated, "he has access to these powers". But, most of them aren't really his.

Personally, I think it's better that way. He still remains a fragile human being, pitted against unbelievably dangerous entities. I prefer that kind of character to these other characters that have no weaknesses and too much power, that we see so much of in comics today.

Sundipped
He still remains a fragile human being.

no expression There's nothing "fragile" about a top of line sorceror. He still has power without envoking any entities. You should really watch the choice of words you use. First you say he "begs" for powers, now you say he's fragile. A true fan (which you say you are) would never describe him as such.

Horrificus
no expression There's nothing "fragile" about a top of line sorceror. He still has power without envoking any entities. You should really watch the choice of words you use. First you say he "begs" for powers, now you say he's fragile. A true fan (which you say you are) would never describe him as such. I always saw him as a character who's knowledge of the mystic arts is his power.
The spells and talismans are getting power from other sources.

There is no "Eye of Dr. Strange" or "Gem of Steve".

Sr J-Bieb
Mangog easily

Uriel005
I started reading Dr. Strange in the early 80's.
I think he is great. I understand how it works. Like you stated, "he has access to these powers". But, most of them aren't really his.

Personally, I think it's better that way. He still remains a fragile human being, pitted against unbelievably dangerous entities. I prefer that kind of character to these other characters that have no weaknesses and too much power, that we see so much of in comics today. As I said before though it's a flaw in Strange IMO. By comparison Ancient one has better average showings by far as does Agammoto who were both sorcerer supreme. Strange has powers that he can bust out that without invoking other deities/gods are ridiculous on their own but his tendency to ignore these abilities really shortsells him. As I said before. The sorcerer Supreme is a cosmically recognized position as one that prevents outside mystical influence that is generally damaging on a large scale some of which register on a universal scale. When these instances come up Strange tends to deliver in a big way even under his own power. But when he's fighting mobs/non-mysitcal/lesser threats he jobs like a ***** compared to his cosmic scale showings.

Horrificus
Originally posted by Uriel005
As I said before though it's a flaw in Strange IMO. By comparison Ancient one has better average showings by far as does Agammoto who were both sorcerer supreme. Strange has powers that he can bust out that without invoking other deities/gods are ridiculous on their own but his tendency to ignore these abilities really shortsells him. As I said before. The sorcerer Supreme is a cosmically recognized position as one that prevents outside mystical influence that is generally damaging on a large scale some of which register on a universal scale. When these instances come up Strange tends to deliver in a big way even under his own power. But when he's fighting mobs/non-mysitcal/lesser threats he jobs like a ***** compared to his cosmic scale showings.
Yeah, I remember reading his books and it being easy to see that he was THE most powerful Marvel character with a book. There really was nobody that could have beaten him in some of his showings. And they weren't things that had to be recon'd or anything.
Just good writing. Writers that understood the character and had a good grasp of how the character could use the tools at his disposal to do incredible things.

Alas, those days are done. Enter the "Fanboy Age".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.