Windu with makashi vs dooku with vaapad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

3 fishys
Windu with dooku's lightsaber vs dooku with windu's lightsaber.

Positions: two different corners of the arena, who wins.

Slash_KMC
Mace Windu is perhaps Dooku's equal on neutral grounds.

truejedi
according to dooku.

Slash_KMC

truejedi
come to think of it: What does "malice made visible--wickedness cut in red light"? even mean?

And yeah, the book is saying "perhaps his equal" while we are able to ascertain from the rest of the mythos that yeah, definitly his equal and more.

So taking that statement and saying Mace>Dooku does not make the statement false.

Q99
Of course, Vaapad's anti-darkside properties are of no use to Dooku, and Makashi's uses are quite usable by Windu.

Nephthys
Originally posted by truejedi
come to think of it: What does "malice made visible--wickedness cut in red light"? even mean?

And yeah, the book is saying "perhaps his equal" while we are able to ascertain from the rest of the mythos that yeah, definitly his equal and more.

So taking that statement and saying Mace>Dooku does not make the statement false.

Given that he mentions Vjun's darkside nexus properties right before hes probably saying that his bladework is empowered and darksidey and stuff.

Zampanó
Really? Have you ever actually, oh I don't know, read fiction before?

no

Slash_KMC

I never did that...

However, on a planet like Vjun, Mace is outmatched by Dooku.

RagingBoner
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
I never did that...

However, on a planet like Vjun, Mace is outmatched by Dooku.

Actually, I might be forced to disagree with you.

truejedi
No Z, i have never read fiction before. Care to enlighten me on what we can ascertain about Dooku's blade by that statement?

RagingBoner
No Z, i have never read fiction before. Care to enlighten me on what we can ascertain about Dooku's blade by that statement?

I'm getting tired of having to explain the obvious to dullards. According to Zampano's First Law of Speculative Fact, "Z." is free to make any claim he wishes and pass it off as the gospel truth. Henceforth, it would behoove you to treat everything as open to interpretation unless interpreted by He Who Is Not Beholden to the Burden of Proof.

Zampanó
See? Gideon understands.

Slash_KMC
Originally posted by RagingBoner
Actually, I might be forced to disagree with you.

Well then you have a very odd interpretation of the piece of text.

RagingBoner

DARTH POWER

Vjun is a dark side nexus that affords the Count powers beyond his normal scope. But even with this extra advantage, he is unable to overpower Yoda, who is simultaneously distracted by Dooku's cunning tactics (hurling Whirry out the window) and restraining himself ("Wish to hurt you, I do not!"wink. In contrast, Darth Sidious was able to fight an "unrestrained" Yoda to a relative standstill despite not being on a dark side nexus.

Therefore, we can assume that Vjun!Dooku is weaker in the dark side than his Master. The same Master who was bested in a lightsaber duel by Windu.

Im not sure about this. On Vjun Dooku and Yoda never had a Force Battle, only a Saber one. And even in the Saber one Dooku was giving ground "Slowly, Slowly". And everyone here agrees Yoda most likely overpowered Sidious in the Saber fight also.

Also Vjun was making Yoda more fierce than usual, so he was naturally being more aggressive than he usually would. "In the Dark Vjun air Yoda's sight was terrible to behold"

He also admitted he was going for the kill, "even here where the dark side whispers to me Love you enough to kill you I do.."

As for the distractions, it hardly had an effect on most of the fight, there was one at the beginning, in which Yoda quickly saved whirry and began fighting, and one in the end for Dooku to escape.

Stealth Moose

RagingBoner
DARTH POWER
Im not sure about this. On Vjun Dooku and Yoda never had a Force Battle, only a Saber one. And even in the Saber one Dooku was giving ground "Slowly, Slowly". And everyone here agrees Yoda most likely overpowered Sidious in the Saber fight also.

?
What's your point? I never argued Vjun!Dooku is Yoda's equal in any capacity.

There is nothing in the text indicating that Yoda's powers were being enhanced by Vjun, whereas Dooku's were.

Oh, I don't deny that Yoda was willing to kill him, but the entire mission on Vjun is testament to the fact that he would have preferred not to. He was out to convert first, kill a distant second, even during the duel: "Wish to hurt you, I do not."

Saving Whirry got Yoda wounded. Vjun!Dooku was unable to fight Yoda on even ground and was being forced back the entire time.

DARTH POWER
?

There is nothing in the text indicating that Yoda's powers were being enhanced by Vjun, whereas Dooku's were.

I know I was just pointing out he was more aggressive than usual, and finding it diffiuclt to hold back due to Vjun's darkness effecting him.

And the Saber fight he was winning very slowly. I think he took Sidious more easily in the Saber fight, looking at how the Script shows Yoda disarming Sidious without too much difficulty.

I was responding to you saying Regular Sidious did much better against Yoda than Vjun Dooku.

ares834
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
And the Saber fight he was winning very slowly. I think he took Sidious more easily in the Saber fight, looking at how the Script shows Yoda disarming Sidious without too much difficulty.

Where?

DARTH POWER
Someone gave a quote from the script here recently, something about Yoda forcing him back then disarming him, then sending his Lightning back at him.

Will have to read through the comments and find where that was.

truejedi
yeah, but it didn't say anything about how difficult it was.

DARTH POWER
Well my point was beating VjunDooku in Sabers wasnt easy either. And he never got disarmed. He kept his defences up throughout the fight.

Galan007
Originally posted by 3 fishys
Windu with dooku's lightsaber vs dooku with windu's lightsaber. What's the point? confused

Borbarad
Simply a theory with which I am toying.

Rather than toying with it, Gideon should have put some thought into it. Not that one should expect any kind of logical reasoning coming from a person that is, as he admitted himself, driven by bias.

And, to nobodies surprise, since we're dealing with the analysis of fiction by a biased individual here, RB's interpretation is wrong. Let me quote of Mace Windu himself:

"To use Vaapad, a Jedi must give himself over to the thrill of battle, enjoying the fight and the satisfaction of winning. A Jedi must also accept and embrace the fury of his opponent. This transforms the Jedi into half of a superconducting loop,the other half being the power of darkness, which passes in and out of the Jedi without touching him." - Mace Windu, The Essential Guide through the Force, p. 113

Rather than taking away power from somewhere or the opponent (obviously, Windu wasn't combating dark side users only), it makes use of the Jedi's own inner darkness, from with the strength is drawn. That's the foundation of a dark siders combat ability and the "boost" in that, Anakin does apparently benefit from when utilizing the Dark Side. The point is: It's independant of the opponent that Mace fights and likewise not affecting the opponent. It just makes the Vaapad user stronger, drawing strength from his inner darkness.

First off, Gideon ignores that we don't have an idea to what extend Vjun boosted Dooku's power, with any speculation on it being that: speculation, based on unsupported assumptions. Nice premise for a "logical" argument. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The next thing, Gideon kindly assumes, is that a wish is equal to implementation. Just because Yoda didn't wish to hurt his former student, doesn't mean that he was restraining himself in the actual combat. Or are we going to assume that Obi-Wan was holding back against Anakin, too, because he clearly didn't want to kill him and had even stronger feelings for him than Yoda for Dooku? I don't think that works.

And now Gideon is back at comparing apples to oranges. Unlike Sidious, who had reinforcements for him on the way, Dooku knew that Kenobi and Skywalker were coming to aid Yoda. As a consequence, he wasn't able to stay and prolong the fight into a standstill the Sidious way. This is a reenacment of the situation we had at the end of AotC. Dooku fleds because Yoda is about to receive aid. In fact, he could easily have killed the Jedi Master, while the green fellow was attempting to save Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Wow. Two illogical conclusions in two sentences. Must be a new record, even for Gideon. First: Since we don't know how Sidious would fare on Vjun, we can't make a comparison between him and Dooku. Technically, at least Dooku made it out of the duel without getting disarmed and he managed to wound Yoda.

The second thing is that, that Sidious didn't "stalemate" Yoda in a lightsaber duel, but had to turn it into a force contest and, even then, just was lucky in the end, that Yoda fell and he didn't plus he had additional forces arriving (why Dooku had additional opponents arriving). Comparing those two situations does not compute.

Does Gideon missunderstand quotes on purpose or is he really incapable of reading? Does "perhabs Dooku's equal" really sound, as if there is the possibility, that Mace is actually better than Dooku, especially bringing other Jedi in that context and, speaking about context, take the other comparisons between Mace and Dooku into consideration (directly and indirectly).

We know that Dooku did beat Mace before. We don't know, if it happened the other way around, and while I wouldn't like to turn that into an argument ex silentio ("He didn't beat Dooku because no source does mention it."wink, the lack of a reference for them having been equals can be understand so, that they weren't. Which is kind of confirmed by Yoda's statement regarding Dooku being given by the very same source:

"The best of all would be the strongest student, yes? Wisest? Most learned in the ways of the Force? Best of all, Dooku would be! Our greatest student!" - Yoda, Dark Rendevouz.

While this is the personal opinion of Yoda, which is questionable, we're dealing with the judgement of the orders grandmaster here, who doesn't even take another Jedi into consideration. He simple puts Dooku above any other student of the temple in the force mastery department and the same book introduces precisely one other Jedi who might be on par with Dooku in terms of blade work on equal ground.

Again this conclusion has come up with is devoid of any logic. Sidious didn't "defeat" Yoda, he also didn't "stalemate" Yoda. He lost the lightsaber duel, he lost the force contest and the green muppet just didn't keep it coming, because some clones were on their way and he had to make it out alive. Gideon attempts to hold the fact that Dooku escaped from Yoda against the Count, while Sidious, being in the same situation, also tried to escape ("Why leave, if so powerful you are?"wink but just failed to do the job and was forced to fight. Who knows how Dooku would have done in such a situation? I don't.

Mace had all of this before, when he was beaten by Dooku. Mace gained more confidence in his control over Vaapad since then. Dooku gained the Dark Side as an additional boost in combat, and has added a nice array of Dark Side powers to his "stuff to use against Jedi while fencing" card. Does anybody honestly think that looks as if Windu increased more in skill and ability than Dooku did? Sounds like an odd idea.

RagingBoner
DP
Well my point was beating VjunDooku in Sabers wasnt easy either. And he never got disarmed. He kept his defences up throughout the fight.

On a planet steeped in the dark side of the Force. With a distracted and restrained Yoda. What's your point? Even on Vjun, Dooku's still terrified of Sidious.

RE: Blaxican
This is by far the stupidest ****ing thread I have seen in awhile.

Eminence
no expression

I didn't even notice the title.

Holy shit.

I don't think anyone but Janus noticed, and I thought he was screwing around.

Borbarad
On a planet steeped in the dark side of the Force. With a distracted and restrained Yoda. What's your point? Even on Vjun, Dooku's still terrified of Sidious.

Using the fear of a character to "prove" his inferiority to the character he fears is another one of Gideon's completely logical points. Since "fear" is clear controlled by ratio, rather than being a feral instinct that has precisely nothing to do with rational thought. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I bet when a child is afraid of the dark, this also "proves" that their are monsters everywhere in the darkness, waiting to attack the child. thumb up

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Eminence
no expression

I didn't even notice the title.

Holy shit.

I don't think anyone but Janus noticed, and I thought he was screwing around.

I was a little concerned no one heeded me. Am I on ignore?

Hello?

And then it hits me: the ritual has gone wrong. I am anchored to SWVF! My powerful soul cannot run rampant through the cosmos!

But Faunus can hear me. That means I have to possess him and/or turn him to the Dark Side.

Assuming control.

SIDIOUS 66
Originally posted by Borbarad
Using the fear of a character to "prove" his inferiority to the character he fears is another one of Gideon's completely logical points. Since "fear" is clear controlled by ratio, rather than being a feral instinct that has precisely nothing to do with rational thought. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I bet when a child is afraid of the dark, this also "proves" that their are monsters everywhere in the darkness, waiting to attack the child. thumb up

Yes, let's compare Dooku to a child. I mean Dooku, like a child, can also be convinced that Santa is real. Sidious convinced Dooku that there was a hideous monster underneath his robes, and that he would unleash it upon Dooku if Dooku ever planned on betraying him.

So, from that point on, Dooku was terrified,

Nephthys
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Yes, let's compare Dooku to a child. I mean Dooku, like a child, can also be convinced that Santa is real. Sidious convinced Dooku that there was a hideous monster underneath his robes, and that he would unleash it upon Dooku if Dooku ever planned on betraying him.

That sounds like something that happened to me.

Except I got to see what was under the robe.

I-it wasn't a monster..... http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-gonk.gif

Borbarad
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66

Running out of arguments again and attempting to use sarcasm on me? Lolz.

A not to small number of adults does fear God, despite the fact that they don't even know whether he exists or not. So the concept of probably unjustified fear is not uncommon among adults exactly. I'd say that an incarnation of evil like Sidious himself, a master in the art of manipulation and master of some unnatural powers wouldn't find it impossible to inspire fear, even in an individual like Dooku.

BUT

It's simple illogical to conclude from there, that, because of fearing his master, Dooku must indeed be far less powerful (in the ways of the force and lightsaber combat) than Sidious. He isn't exactly afraid of Yoda - even though he appears to be afraid of the vision of a Dark Side Yoda - when we know that Yoda was capable of, at the very least, stalemating Sidious (or beat him in both lightsaber skill and force mastery).

So, according to logic, Dooku hasn't any reason to fear his master more than he has to fear Yoda, as far as power is concerned. Perhabs less. Yet, he apparently can't imagine to take it up with Sidious where he is almost eager to duke it out with Yoda. So, his fear is irrational and therefore can't be used as argument for the supposed superiority of Sidious over his apprentice.

Nephthys
I don't know Borb. Yoda isn't likely to torture you if you fail. Now Sidious, I can see that happening. Sidious seems the one I'd be more fearful of pissing off personally.

axel_jovan

RagingBoner
S66

thumb up

truejedi
Is it too late to say I unleashed the terrible monster under my robes on RN's mom last night?

Nephthys
Yes.

Still hilarious though.

ares834
Originally posted by Nephthys
I don't know Borb. Yoda isn't likely to torture you if you fail. Now Sidious, I can see that happening. Sidious seems the one I'd be more fearful of pissing off personally.

thumb up

DARTH POWER

Point was theres no evidence Vjun Dooku is weaker than regular Sidious. I was addressing your theory that Sidious did better against Yoda than even Vjun Dooku.

And yeah we know Dooku fears Sidious. He's got no confidence to challenge him by himself. Not even with Ventress. He wants someone more powerful at his side.

Being on Vjun isn't gna make a difference to that considering if Sidious came down to Vjun his powers would also benefit from Vjun's darkness.

RagingBoner
Darth Power
Point was theres no evidence Vjun Dooku is weaker than regular Sidious. I was addressing your theory that Sidious did better against Yoda than even Vjun Dooku.

Which you failed to do. Palpatine was facing a Yoda who was absolutely focused and intent on killing him. Vjun!Dooku can't say the same.

Borbarad
Originally posted by Nephthys

So rather than fearing the power of Sidious, Dooku feared being tortured...?

Which you failed to do. Palpatine was facing a Yoda who was absolutely focused and intent on killing him. Vjun!Dooku can't say the same.

Ah. The good old repetition of defeated points ad nauseam. It never gets old. thumb up

DARTH POWER

Its all about "You Failed", and "Im Right" with you guys..

RagingBoner
Darth Power
Its all about "You Failed", and "Im Right" with you guys..

Not really, not anymore, which is why I'm a bit more judicious about committing time and energy to these sort of debates.

Your contention was that Yoda did better against Sidious than Vjun!Dooku, of which there is no evidence. As to the evidence that Vjun!Dooku is weaker than regular!Sidious, we can conclude that this is the case from the fact that, even while on Vjun, Dooku found himself incapable of "question the power of Darth Sidious. The dark secrets at his command." In addition, the Count's thoughts indicate that he's still terrified of his Master despite Vjun's empowerment, even when his Master isn't present. Unlike some, I don't consider the good Count to be akin to a child, easily frightened or intimidated. To me, someone of Dooku's age, experience, and power would fear very few individuals and, if he was afraid of them, it would have to be for a damn good reason.

Lucas already gave us why: "From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor -- he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku." Dooku's weaker than Palpatine, which is why he's the apprentice, which is why despite commanding an army of battle droids numbering in the quintillions and harboring treacherous thoughts about Sidious, he's too afraid to take him on.

If you want to believe otherwise, be my guest. I don't particularly care at this point, this has been argued to death by pro-Dooku and pro-Sidious factions for years.

Borbarad
Not really, not anymore, which is why I'm a bit more judicious about committing time and energy to these sort of debates.

What Gideon wanted to say is, that he doesn't invest time in coming up with any coherent arguments, but instead repost the previously defeated stuff again and again, until you finally give up. If you decide not to give up, and keep pointing out his lack of reason and logic, he will react by putting you on his ignore list and go on with the next individual crossing the hallowed path he walks on.

What Gideon wants to tell you is this: While he will presume, that Yoda let his emotions affect his abilities, despite being known for not letting it happen, Dooku (dark sider driven by emotion) is apparently immune towards similar feelings, despite the fact that his former Master has almost redeemed him from the Dark Side just before. This is, what Gideon usually calls "reasonable logic".

Apparently, Gideon will continue to ignore the irrationality of fear, and instead presume that this is born out of rational considerations, rather than some stuff beyond Dooku's understanding, especially when an individual is afraid of a manipulative character like Sidious. Drawing biased conclusions out of nowhere is an art in which Gideon excels. Besides lying, missinterpreting and forging evidence in favor of his beloved Darth Sidious.

Gideon, of course, ignores, that the quote don't exactly excludes the possibility of Dooku defeating Sidious if he should ever have tried to do so. Windu did, and I'm rather certain he isn't as "powerful" in the force as Sidious. Likewise Darth Maul, in a momentaneous surge of anger, almost managed to kill his master. All of that is context, that Gideon has always ignored and will keep ignoring, because it isn't beneficial for his personal opinion.

But let us follow Gideons ridiculous "logic" for a few moments. Applying it as Gideon did above, we can easily conclude that Sidious is (far) less powerful than Yoda, because he tried to escape from the Jedi Master before the beginning of their lightsaber duel in Revenge of the Sith showing FEAR. This, of course, is the point where Gideons "logic" would be turned against his own favorite character and hence can not be applicable any longer. As you see, Gideon is neither biased nor does he apply double-standards in his arguments. thumb up

What Gideon wants to tell you is, that despite having written a 12 page essay on his favorite character, and having debated this issue ever since the release of Revenge of the Sith, he hasn't convinced all people here of his opinion, especially not the ones whos opinion he really cares about. And of course, he also doesn't care about the particular topic - hence why he has participated in this debate once again just here.

And now, being confronted with the fact that he will again not win it, he turns tail and runs, because "not caring". "Honesty" is another of this principles Gideon adheres to. Hence why we had him admitting his bias for Sidious in the past. So, really. When a topic even remotely touches the persona of Palpatine, you can simply ignore anything he says.

RagingBoner

Your contention was that Yoda did better against Sidious than Vjun!Dooku, of which there is no evidence. As to the evidence that Vjun!Dooku is weaker than regular!Sidious, we can conclude that this is the case from the fact that, even while on Vjun, Dooku found himself incapable of "question the power of Darth Sidious. The dark secrets at his command." In addition, the Count's thoughts indicate that he's still terrified of his Master despite Vjun's empowerment, even when his Master isn't present. Unlike some, I don't consider the good Count to be akin to a child, easily frightened or intimidated. To me, someone of Dooku's age, experience, and power would fear very few individuals and, if he was afraid of them, it would have to be for a damn good reason.

Lucas already gave us why: "From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor -- he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku." Dooku's weaker than Palpatine, which is why he's the apprentice, which is why despite commanding an army of battle droids numbering in the quintillions and harboring treacherous thoughts about Sidious, he's too afraid to take him on.

If you want to believe otherwise, be my guest. I don't particularly care at this point, this has been argued to death by pro-Dooku and pro-Sidious factions for years.

To add to this, I was reminded of a ForceCast interview with Dave Filoni, which can be found here.

At around the 24:35 mark, the interviewer speaks to the portrayal of the good Count and asks Filoni whether or not his betrayal of Ventress was out of loyalty to or fear of Sidious. Filoni answers at the 25:25 mark that it was definitely fear, "because he is not ready to take on Sidious by himself."

Whatever that's worth.

DARTH POWER
Filoni answers at the 25:25 mark that it was definitely fear, "because he is not ready to take on Sidious by himself."

Whatever that's worth.

Well thats made clear in the episode. He's also not confident to take on Sidious with Ventress. He wants someone more powerful. Dooku's words suggest he would be confident with Darth Maul on his side.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.