The collider that cried Higgs!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Daemon Seed
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110510/full/473136a.html

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Daemon Seed
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110510/full/473136a.html

Glad you posted this, damn theres a lot of confusion in the world at the moment on various subjects

If they found the "god particle" would the announce it and risk annoying all the religous nuts in the world, or keep it secret?

Is it possible that some scientist, and there are a lot of them, would release a leak because he/she would consider it too important to be kept secret?

Another possibility is that they release leaks of info to give the impression of progress to justify the vast ammounts of money this thing costs, when the world is struggling to pay its depts. Is it worth it?

inimalist
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Is it possible that some scientist, and there are a lot of them, would release a leak because he/she would consider it too important to be kept secret?

no, the science overlords keep a tight leash on everyone

Symmetric Chaos
If they found the "god particle" would the announce it and risk annoying all the religous nuts in the world, or keep it secret?

There are so many things wrong with that sentence I'm not even sure where to start.

Given that finding the Higgs is the third biggest announcement a modern physicist could possibly make...

Another possibility is that they release leaks of info to give the impression of progress to justify the vast ammounts of money this thing costs, when the world is struggling to pay its depts. Is it worth it?

CERN's budget is only about $1 billion a year and is divided among twenty countries. I doubt they're worried about losing funding.

Robtard
These "scientist" smashing particles together and whatnot; trying to play God will be the end of us all. Just watch.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
There are so many things wrong with that sentence I'm not even sure where to start.

Given that finding the Higgs is the third biggest announcement a modern physicist could possibly make...

CERN's budget is only about $1 billion a year and is divided among twenty countries. I doubt they're worried about losing funding.

What are the first 2?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
What are the first 2?

Theory of Everything
Theory of Quantum Gravity

King Kandy
Glad you posted this, damn theres a lot of confusion in the world at the moment on various subjects

Um you do know that the higgs has nothing to do with God right? That's only a nickname.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Theory of Everything
Theory of Quantum Gravity

I'd wager that the top question is actually "What is the universe REALLY made of". Dark Energy and Matter are the large majority of the universe...yet...it's not explainable.

Then, there's the quantum interaction problem: particles changing to match each other, instantly, violating relativity.

Then there's the protein problem which basically states that the length of time required for simple proteins to form in just the right way, it would take far longer than it would for all thep protons to decay. It's a very big conundrum in biology science and the "God did it" does NOT fly in science. We have to know the "why" for the proteins.

The GUT (Or TToE, as it is some times called) would actually give us more questions than answers. It would help use be able to answer those others questions, however.

Edit - I'd say that the solid discovery of the graviton is the key to Theory of Quantum Gravity. It all leads back to the graviton being needed. It's possible that more than one type of "graviton" or massless spin-2 particle could mediate gravity. It's also possible that we currently do not know to look for different "flavors (if I may steal that word)" of gravity mediation. We have nothing to go on...so we could be oblivious to the fact that multiple "particles" are mediating gravity.

Bicnarok

Mindship
I would vote for the discovery of a multiverse as the biggest thing since sliced bread. The existence of a higher dimension/dimensions (eg, the "bulk" -- Lordy, what a name) would help us to unify relativity with QM (solving or helping to solve the gravity problem). We would also have to redefine what is meant by a "ToE" (since "Everything" would've gotten much bigger).

I mean, to realize that what we thought was All There Is, isn't...what a rush.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Mindship
I would vote for the discovery of a multiverse as the biggest thing since sliced bread. The existence of a higher dimension/dimensions (eg, the "bulk" -- Lordy, what a name) would help us to unify relativity with QM (solving or helping to solve the gravity problem). We would also have to redefine what is meant by a "ToE" (since "Everything" would've gotten much bigger).

I mean, to realize that what we thought was All There Is, isn't...what a rush.

Chew some Salvia Divinornum leaves and you will see the multiverse and higher dimensions. (check to see its actually legal where you are mind) laughing

Mindship
Chew some Salvia Divinornum leaves and you will see the multiverse and higher dimensions. (check to see its actually legal where you are mind) laughing Eh, legal, schmegal. It's all in the name of science. smokin'

Symmetric Chaos
Let me rephrase it then. Maybe some religious people might find their belief system threatened by the discovery of a particle that causes energy to clump into matter.

Anything you say will threaten someone's belief system. So far it doesn't seem to have stopped scientists.

Deja~vu
Chew some Salvia Divinornum leaves and you will see the multiverse and higher dimensions. (check to see its actually legal where you are mind) laughing Salvia? Did that. Was truly an experience. cool

Mindship
How does it compare to LSD or shrooms?

King Kandy
A lot of people really hate the stuff. It is strong and prone to bad trips.

it is much more like DMT than it is either of those two.

King Kandy

inimalist
Originally posted by King Kandy
it is much more like DMT than it is either of those two.

Bicnarok
Saw this interesting article, it appears CERN has managed to trap some antihydrogen for 1,000 seconds.

News link below.

http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nphys2025.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.