Dr. Strange vs. Zatanna

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scarlet315
which magician takes it?

Hyperion Prime
Strange easily. Alll he has to do is a spell to make her mute.

long pig
She doesn't actually need to say anything. It's more of an homage to her father than anything. Strange doesn't either, though. May be a quickdraw contest.

Konton
This has been done to death.

Zatanna trounces current Strange.
Classic Strange blinks her out of existence.

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by long pig
She doesn't actually need to say anything. It's more of an homage to her father than anything. Strange doesn't either, though. May be a quickdraw contest.

Are you sure about that? When Super Amazo removed her mouth and busted her nose open she was afraid she was going to drown on her own blood. She used the blood that dripped on the ground to write a spell backwards that gave her her mouth back. Why did she do that if she could just think her mouth back or do a gesture to bring it back?

Konton
idk bad writing? She outright stated backwards speaking is just an exercise in focus, and there are mixed interpretations of the necessity of words for her magic. No two runs have really been consistent so you have to keep it in consideration.

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by Konton
idk bad writing? She outright stated backwards speaking is just an exercise in focus, and there are mixed interpretations of the necessity of words for her magic. No two runs have really been consistent so you have to keep it in consideration.

Ok thanks

Uriel005
idk bad writing? She outright stated backwards speaking is just an exercise in focus, and there are mixed interpretations of the necessity of words for her magic. No two runs have really been consistent so you have to keep it in consideration. Technically backwards magic should be unstoppable because it's basically a warp. On forum I'd say she should say. "I nac won tsac sdrawkcab cigam htiw a suoicsnoc thguot" I can now cast backwards magic with a conscious thought. Followed by granting superspeed/time stop/ unlimited power/ a body and mind that can handle unlimited power/unlimited knowledge etc etc etc as far as it can go.

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by Uriel005
Technically backwards magic should be unstoppable because it's basically a warp. On forum I'd say she should say. "I nac won tsac sdrawkcab cigam htiw a suoicsnoc thguot" I can now cast backwards magic with a conscious thought. Followed by granting superspeed/time stop/ unlimited power/ a body and mind that can handle unlimited power/unlimited knowledge etc etc etc as far as it can go.

How is backwards magic basically a warp? What would be the difference with Strange casting spells? Do you mean because she dosen't read or cast from a script? Are you saying she makes up her own spells and dosen't rely on Cyttorack etc.

long pig
But her power is limited to will power and focus. She'd need unlimited will power and focus to have unlimited will power and focus x infinity..... see, perfectly reasonable.

Uriel005
Originally posted by long pig
But her power is limited to will power and focus. She'd need unlimited will power and focus to have unlimited will power and focus x infinity..... see, perfectly reasonable. so do the conscious thought thing I said and then think "I wish my will power/focus was 10 times better" Rinse and repeat till you can do as you will. I've seen no limitation for such a thing.

long pig
She would need an infinite amount of will and focus to cast the spell and sustain in the first place. Otherwise, she'll k.o herself like when she tried to heat up the moon.

Q99

I personally say, "It's a focus, so it's much harder to do without, but it's not a strict requirement or anything."

Messing with one's own head using magic, especially layering spells, sounds exceptionally dangerous to me. Stuff does go wrong with spells and it sounds like a good way to make your head explode.

Also, just because she can say it backwards doesn't mean she can do it.

Konton
Eh, Batman and Martian Manhunter didn't end up too messy when she scrambled their brains and kept them from knowing about her villain conversions.

I don't recall her spells ever failing, save for when she tried to disperse Starbreaker and it only knocked him down, one of her greater feats anyhow.

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by Uriel005
Technically backwards magic should be unstoppable because it's basically a warp. On forum I'd say she should say. "I nac won tsac sdrawkcab cigam htiw a suoicsnoc thguot" I can now cast backwards magic with a conscious thought. Followed by granting superspeed/time stop/ unlimited power/ a body and mind that can handle unlimited power/unlimited knowledge etc etc etc as far as it can go.

Strange can "amp" himself also though quite easily too

Prep-Man
This has been done to death.

Zatanna trounces current Strange.
Classic Strange blinks her out of existence.

This pretty much sums it up.

Q99
Eh, Batman and Martian Manhunter didn't end up too messy when she scrambled their brains and kept them from knowing about her villain conversions.

I don't recall her spells ever failing, save for when she tried to disperse Starbreaker and it only knocked him down, one of her greater feats anyhow.

One that comes to mind was in Sins of Youth, when she tried swapping back Robin and Batman's ages after Klarion had swapped them, and only succeeded in giving them age-appropriate versions of their costumes.

I'd figure that since she's magic to begin with, and she's effectively asking the magic to work on itself, the odds of a problem are much higher than normal. I could see her effectively giving herself an alertness and clarity boost, cancel out negative effects, or even erasing her own memories akin to the Identity Crisis ones, but making the mind go beyond it's normal limits? Then do it repeatedly? That's just asking for trouble.

ColossusGrundy
Classic Strange was amazed at her amount of power during a crossover. He himself stated that there was no telling how powerful she could become. Her abilities are linked to her confidence level (hence why she's always such a smartass).

A fully confident Zatanna beats Classic Strange and destroys Current Strange.

SasuOna
Originally posted by ColossusGrundy
Classic Strange was amazed at her amount of power during a crossover. He himself stated that there was no telling how powerful she could become. Her abilities are linked to her confidence level (hence why she's always such a smartass).

A fully confident Zatanna beats Classic Strange and destroys Current Strange.

So Strange paying her a compliment means Classic Strange is weaker then her?
Even if she had infinite power shes still not beating Stephen in a mage duel.

Its like giving Quasar the UN and telling him to attack Galactus. Theres still many ways for Galactus to beat Quasar.

Current Strange is in an odd place right now but he does have high showings.

Q99
And while her powers are certainly vast, I don't really think they're literally infinite.

Bentley
Current Strange fails.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.